Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

I would like to see cRPGs which put the focus somewhere other than combat. <cough> No Truce <cough>

Not in this style of game though. The entire design revolves around combat; making something else the centrepiece would just make the whole thing feel awkward.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you don't want combat to be the center of your RPG don't play a cRPG, I guess.

I think we can move focus away from combat without losing what made the genre great.
We could, though the costs of creating enough reactivity to keep the player interested without the game having much combat, and the need to rely on writers of questionable skill would put the chances very high on the game being unenjoyable for the majority of players.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Why would a dev do it anyway? Fans ask for less an less every year, nobody wants anything other than an action rpg for their crpg, an this focus on just combat will obviously make them combat systems so fucking good. As others have said afore crpgs should be aping their tabletop inspiration (if not building an surpassing em after thirty or forty years,) an if I ran a campaign so fucking unimaginative an one note as most games released now i'd be ashamed o mesen as a GM.

Devs must be laughing their arses off when they see customers constantly asking for less an less work from em, its bloody weird.

BilboBaggins

Educated
Back in the day they used to call non-combat RPGs "text adventures". We also tied an onion to our belts, which was the style at the time.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm not arguing that combat should be replaced by something else as the focus, but merely for a more balanced gameplay loop.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm not arguing that combat should be replaced by something else as the focus, but merely for a more balanced gameplay loop.

In a single protagonist game you could certainly try that, stealthy-talky builds are genuine and fun way to play these games for example. In a party-based game it's kind of pointless though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From a talk given by UI designer Michael Kemski in Russia: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...discussion-thread.84849/page-209#post-5331427

DLyE_hHXcAAQxrO.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope they will have a proper indicator so that we can pre-estimate if we will flank/be flanked this time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom