Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WW1 strategy games

mbv123

Arbiter
After I started watching the old BBC The Great War documentary, I'm in a mood for some WW1 games.
Are there even any good ones? I just want something that simulates the deadlock of Trench Warfare and trying to desperately achieve a breakthrough through some means. If it features the war of movement of 1914, then also great.
Games, mods, give me everything you've got.

mondblut

Arcane
Well... endgame of Victoria, sort of. Battles that last for half a year with the entire manpower of all participants being poured in over time are definitely in.

(then again, that would make EU4 a WW1 game too)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Making WWI game is actually quite hard. First, game developer needs to find what would happen when Germany WILL NOT attack Belgium. And then find what would happen when France WOULD attack Belgium. Situation might actually abruptly change from historic outcome.
Then developer would need to find what would happen when Germany would want to solve problems in the east first and do defensively against France.
Then developer would need to simulate economy, and these horrible debts UK get into to be able to continue war. All US needed to do was to revoke UK credit.
Then of course all that research development, relations between countries, diference between research systems, and a writing code for a chance to become more efficient. Remember Germany first tanks kinda sucked.

Then of course there is a problem with simulating whole front with all these divisions in some sane interface.

And the catch is a player know how to do breakthroughs and similar stuff, thus trench warfare isn't actually even likely to occur.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
If you're willing to spend 8 hours in person or a week or two via PBEM - it has one of the largest online matchups in wargaming

pic281124.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are many. I have some experience with this one, I think it has cool atmosphere, if you compose a good playlist of marches to go with it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
To End All Wars is all right, has a truly great scope and all.
It just plays more like a Napoleonic game in WW1 setting, they couldn't rewrite the whole engine for this 1 game, and you will notice.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Darkest Hour has a WWI start. It's not as complete as the WWII start.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To End All Wars is all right, has a truly great scope and all.
It just plays more like a Napoleonic game in WW1 setting, they couldn't rewrite the whole engine for this 1 game, and you will notice.
I've never played any of the napoleonic ones. I own te Thirty Years War which uses the same engine, played it for a while and I wasn't all that charmed. All I had to do was set stance to my armies and chase after the protestants (I was playing the very first campaign).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom