Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is boring

Fallout 2 sucks?

• Yes

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 117 80.7%

• Total voters

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is only one Fallout game.

Two.

Everything went shit after a good liftoff and reaching the stratosphere.

Okay, I'll cut the edgy crap. FO2 is better than 99.99% of the RPGs that will be released in what remains of our lives. It's just that it's merely "bloatware" over original Fallout, combat gets boring because the system was never designed to be a long game, and I never felt like caring for anything happenning in the game unlike what happens with FO1 perfectly self-contained plot and setting. I can replay FO1 anytime, but no way I'd replay FO2. Life is too short.

I don’t really have the energy to start fighting about tastes. I respect your point of view, and I do get where it’s coming from, but do not share it. My comment was meant as a similiar offhand throw as yours.

Fallout is by far a the tighter and more cohesive package as a work of fiction, but it is also very compact. Fallout 2, to me, is better as a game and doesn’t really fall too far with what it does worse. I don’t give a fuck about few bad jokes, or every town not being honed to perfection, or the slight change in tone and setting progression (those two are actually rather welcome changes to push things forward), I stopped nitpicking about that shit long time ago. Combat is also... how you take it. To me it not being a heavyhanded feature like in other, more combat centered games, is a good thing as the focus is more on the overall experience and not just combat grind. The big picture is what matters to me; as long as I’m having fun with the game all’s fine. I can pick features to criticise, and agree with criticisms of others, but there’s more good than there’s bad to start trashing it. That’s my general gist of it - in short.

I replay both games on somewhat regular basis, but most of the time the choice is Fallout 2. Which ever the game and what ever the reason, I don’t think about whether or not I’m wasting my time. I’m having fun.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 1 is the best of them all but I'm glad 2 and New Vegas exist, they're good games too.

Fallout 3 is retarded shit that goes way way waaaay beyond FO2's zany pop culture references.

FO2 may have lots of dumb jokes, but FO3 has vampires and a city of children :retarded:

So what is your take on "Fallout" 4?

Haven't played it because my graphics card is too old.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout 1 is the best of them all but I'm glad 2 and New Vegas exist, they're good games too.

Fallout 3 is retarded shit that goes way way waaaay beyond FO2's zany pop culture references.

FO2 may have lots of dumb jokes, but FO3 has vampires and a city of children :retarded:

You got spared, trust me.
I tried to get into it for some reason. I really did.
I failed.
It's even worse than Fallout 3 :lol: - but a better shooter, at least.

Sykar

Arcane

You got spared, trust me.
I tried to get into it for some reason. I really did.
I failed.
It's even worse than Fallout 3 :lol: - but a better shooter, at least.

If I want to play a shooter I'd play one though.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
There is only one Fallout game.

Two.

Everything went shit after a good liftoff and reaching the stratosphere.

Okay, I'll cut the edgy crap. FO2 is better than 99.99% of the RPGs that will be released in what remains of our lives. It's just that it's merely "bloatware" over original Fallout, combat gets boring because the system was never designed to be a long game, and I never felt like caring for anything happenning in the game unlike what happens with FO1 perfectly self-contained plot and setting. I can replay FO1 anytime, but no way I'd replay FO2. Life is too short.

I don’t really have the energy to start fighting about tastes. I respect your point of view, and I do get where it’s coming from, but do not share it. My comment was meant as a similiar offhand throw as yours.

Fallout is by far a the tighter and more cohesive package as a work of fiction, but it is also very compact. Fallout 2, to me, is better as a game and doesn’t really fall too far with what it does worse. I don’t give a fuck about few bad jokes, or every town not being honed to perfection, or the slight change in tone and setting progression (those two are actually rather welcome changes to push things forward), I stopped nitpicking about that shit long time ago. Combat is also... how you take it. To me it not being a heavyhanded feature like in other, more combat centered games, is a good thing as the focus is more on the overall experience and not just combat grind. The big picture is what matters to me; as long as I’m having fun with the game all’s fine. I can pick features to criticise, and agree with criticisms of others, but there’s more good than there’s bad to start trashing it. That’s my general gist of it - in short.

I replay both games on somewhat regular basis, but most of the time the choice is Fallout 2. Which ever the game and what ever the reason, I don’t think about whether or not I’m wasting my time. I’m having fun.

Likewise I respect your point of view, and I also understand why so many love the game, being so expansive and open-ended. I had fun playing it, obviously, but probably my disdain comes mostly from the disappointment. I wanted it to be"greater" than FO, instead we got a "fatter" game that added nothing truly unique or special.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

You aren't losing anything. The game is a typical cluttered mess by Bethesda that, already from the start, overloads the player with possibilities and promises that turn out completely meaningless and which still keep trying to decieve the player to expect something worthwhile to turn up and things to get better very soon if he just keeps going a bit longer.

tindrli

Arcane

better for you bro.. its a crap beyond words to explain better..

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In hindsight it's interesting how Avellone kept saying in interviews that Fallout 2 really suffered from lacking a design lead who could've kept the style in clear consistent boundaries. In result there's a lot of out of place pop culture wackiness and different location have this kind of themeparky aspect since they were designed by people who didn't interact with each other a lot.
Then the people at Bethesda see the disconnected wacky aspects of the game, buy the IP and make it a core aspect in their games. Then they also ditch the reactivity the Black Isle games had with skill checks and lose all nuance the writing had. So what they have left is a zany post-apocalyptic themepark with poor writing and some pulp scifi aesthetics.
And their games sell millions.

I would't say Fallout 2 is entirely devoid of connections, although it could have more of it:

Arroyo is intentionally mostly disconnected so the player would't know a lot about game world, but even then it connects to Klamath.

Klamath doesn't have much connection, but its a ass-end so ass, it doesn't have its own game ending slide. A few connections to Den.

Den is quite connected to New Reno and Vault City.

Modoc is weird as hell, its literally a town you stumble on the way to VC. Good thing, actually, because Den -> Vault City is the highway to hell. Pretty much the only connection here is getting Karl in Den. Once you finish all the quests here, zero reason to come around again, maybe except to trade shit with Jo.

Vault City is one of the most connected cities. Connection to Den, Gecko, Redding, Broken Hills, New Reno, NCR.

Gecko connects mostly to Vault City and Broken Hills.

Redding connects to Vault City, NCR, New Reno, even thematically to Den a bit.

Broken Hills connects to Vault City, Gecko and even a bit to New Reno. I find it could have more connection to New Reno.

New Reno is practically the heart of the game-world, and it connects to pretty much fucking everywhere and everything.

NCR connects to pretty much the entire fucking game world.

San Fran is probably one of the least connected towns, you only hear about it from a few conversations in the game world. There's also a wall of death in the form of it being behind the hardest encounters in the game, and trying to head there will lead to your death by mutant aberrations, techno-gangs or Enclave Patrols. Its quests are also mostly self-contained. If I remember right, only way to get its location is from the map in the Military Base, or just going there.

One of the best parts of the game is the Vault City-New Reno-NCR triangle quest. A lot of quests in New Vegas look like they descend from it.

mushaden

Scholar
Was it just me or was San Francisco really underwhelming? Lame, uninspired, etc. etc. The ship with the hacker revolutionary people was cool I guess, but the rest...

Sykar

Arcane
Was it just me or was San Francisco really underwhelming? Lame, uninspired, etc. etc. The ship with the hacker revolutionary people was cool I guess, but the rest...

San Francisco is definitely the weakest part of the game alongside the Temple of Trials though you can skip most of San Francisco at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom