Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Quitting Might and Magic 1

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Sure you might be screwed over by RNG a few times but it's still perfectly within reason.

Nope.

Fly spell is your best friend.

Wow, you made it that far... so that you could get a spell that improves the game by teleporting you past all the crap content, hoorah.

You do know you can teleport away from fights anyway using the retreat command, right? Then there's levitate as well. Amazing how many things in the game are designed to avoid the crap content. It's almost like the game knows its content is shit and the 'game' is levelling up enough so you don't have to face the content any more. Fascinating stuff...

M&M1 is one of the best games in the series.

Sure it is... if you're a mental case who's only pleasure in life is trying to claim manlihood by being one of only a few humans on the planet that can put up with the turdiest of games...

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Sure you might be screwed over by RNG a few times but it's still perfectly within reason.

Nope.

Wow, you made it that far... so that you could get a spell that improves the game by teleporting you past all the crap content, hoorah.

You do know you can teleport away from fights anyway using the retreat command, right? Then there's levitate as well. Amazing how many things in the game are designed to avoid the crap content. It's almost like the game knows its content is shit and the 'game' is levelling up enough so you don't have to face the content any more. Fascinating stuff...

Sure it is... if you're a mental case who's only pleasure in life is trying to claim manlihood by being one of only a few humans on the planet that can put up with the turdiest of games...
how good are the UI, music and voice overs?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Nope.

The UI is bare bones, but functional, once you are use to it there's no great issue with it.

The music is as you would expect for a game of that era, quite pleasant and nostalgic, can't say any noises in the game particularly pissed me off, but I didn't play it long enough to know if I'd get sick of any noises by the end of the game.

Voice overs? Ohhhhhhh, you're taking the piss? Good one. Why contribute when you can just copy-paste memes?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Can someone explain what this sentence in the manual means:

In general, the monsters you encounter will be proportionate with the overall experience level of your party. As your characters advance to higher experience levels, they will encounter more dangerous monsters.

?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, that mapping utility is interesting. I like mapping to be honest but an auto map that fills in as you go I might want to try if it's not too buggy.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Nope.

The UI is bare bones, but functional, once you are use to it there's no great issue with it.

The music is as you would expect for a game of that era, quite pleasant and nostalgic, can't say any noises in the game particularly pissed me off, but I didn't play it long enough to know if I'd get sick of any noises by the end of the game.

Voice overs? Ohhhhhhh, you're taking the piss? Good one. Why contribute when you can just copy-paste memes?
you managed to acknowledge the fact that i was criticizing you for criticizing an old game for no reason other than the poor old game failed to meet your expectations.
if it's not clear yet, i'm still wondering where you are going with this thread.
why pick m&m 1 of all games to criticize?
why is dieing to rng such a bad thing for you?
do you have any experience with any perma death games?
have you ever heard of roguelikes?
are you aware the roguelike is an rpg subgenre?
are you aware that roguelikes like to kill players at any time almost completely random and give them no possibility to ever save their game?
is it such a surprise to you that an old rpg dungeon crawler of all possible rpg genres has a few elements in common with a roguelike?
do you even lift, bro?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Nope.

you managed to acknowledge the fact that i was criticizing you for criticizing an old game for no reason other than the poor old game failed to meet your expectations.
if it's not clear yet, i'm still wondering where you are going with this thread.
are you aware that roguelikes like to kill players at any time almost completely random and give them no possibility to ever save their game?
is it such a surprise to you that an old rpg dungeon crawler of all possible rpg genres has a few elements in common with a roguelike?
do you even lift, bro?

You managed to notice that I'm fully aware that you're just being a contrarian, but you don't seem to be able to grasp much else. I'm not criticising the game for no reason, I've listed no end of reasons. Just because the game is old you seem to be completely butthurt that someone is talking about it.
If that's not clear yet, I'm still wondering why you're taking an interest in the thread.
Why wouldn't I pick M&M1 to criticise? Is it not allowed?
I don't believe I said dying to rng is such a bad thing for me, it was one of many points I raised relating to other issues, and you're being disingenuous for only bringing up that one micro-point out of context as if it's the be all and end all of the thread.
M&M1 doesn't have perma death so why are you even bringing that up?
Yes, I have heard of roguelikes.
Yes, I'm aware roguelike is an rpg subgenre.
Yes, I'm aware roguelikes are different from regular rpgs, that's why they're roguelike... duh.
What does M&M1 have in common with roguelikes? And what's that got to do with the price of fish?
Do you even read, bro?

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Nope.

do you even lift, bro?

You managed to notice that I'm fully aware that you're just being a contrarian, but you don't seem to be able to grasp much else. I'm not criticising the game for no reason, I've listed no end of reasons. Just because the game is old you seem to be completely butthurt that someone is talking about it.
If that's not clear yet, I'm still wondering why you're taking an interest in the thread.
I don't believe I said dying to rng is such a bad thing for me, it was one of many points I raised and you're being disingenuous for only bringing up that one micro-point as if it's the be all and end all of the thread,
Yes, I'm aware roguelikes are different from regular rpgs, that's why they're roguelike... duh.
What does M&M1 have in common with roguelikes? And what's that got to do with the price of fish?
Do you even read, bro?
because you said you were afraid of losing progress due to not being able to save anywhere else than the tavern and risk getting killed by tough enemies. my line of thought was apparently not enough step by step for you. let me retry:
1) Only being able to save at the inn.
i mentioned roguelikes because they don't let you save at all. you criticize an old rpg for imposing save restrictions on you when those restrictions could even be much much more restrictive especially since dungeon crawlers are very close to roguelikes.
2) Random Random Random Random and more and more meaningless Random
at this point i question your ability to remember your own original post, because here i am trying to explain to you why i mentioned roguelikes in connection to your criticism and it's like the first 2 fucking points you make are like the first 2 fucking main aspects of roguelikes. my 80 year old grandpa still plays chess coherently. how fucking old must you be to be that senile?
3) No feedback whatsoever
Press A to attack. Press S to shoot. Press c, 1, 4, a to use you're one attack spell. Repeat until you or they are dead. Will you make it? Who the fuck knows, you either miss or hit... completely randomly.

and now i'm questioning my own ability to filter out the kids that are so dumb i don't have the patience to talk to.
*mic drop*

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Nope.

do you even lift, bro?

I don't believe I said dying to rng is such a bad thing for me, it was one of many points I raised and you're being disingenuous for only bringing up that one micro-point as if it's the be all and end all of the thread,
Do you even read, bro?
because you said you were afraid of losing progress due to not being able to save anywhere else than the tavern and risk getting killed by tough enemies. my line of thought was apparently not enough step by step for you. let me retry:
i mentioned roguelikes because they don't let you save at all. you criticize an old rpg for imposing save restrictions on you when those restrictions could even be much much more restrictive especially since dungeon crawlers are very close to roguelikes.
at this point i question your ability to remember your own original post, because here i am trying to explain to you why i mentioned roguelikes in connection to your criticism and it's like the first 2 fucking points you make are like the first 2 fucking main aspects of roguelikes. my 80 year old grandpa still plays chess coherently. how fucking old must you be to be that senile?
Press A to attack. Press S to shoot. Press c, 1, 4, a to use you're one attack spell. Repeat until you or they are dead. Will you make it? Who the fuck knows, you either miss or hit... completely randomly.

and now i'm questioning my own ability to filter out the kids that are so dumb i don't have the patience to talk to.
*mic drop*

Why the fuck are you talking about roguelikes you utter nobend?

Is M&M1 a roguelike?

WTF are you on?

Yes, you read the titles to each section, well done, you're on your way to reading the whole thing...

I was not afraid of losing progress, I said it was tedious losing progress. Dickwad.

*mic drop* because apparently *mic drop* actually means something to a spastic...

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Nope.

do you even lift, bro?

Do you even read, bro?

*mic drop*

Is M&M1 a roguelike?

WTF are you on?

Yes, you read the titles to each section, well done, you're on your way to reading the whole thing...

I was not afraid of losing progress, I said it was tedious losing progress. Dickwad.

*mic drop* because apparently *mic drop* actually means something to a spastic...
this is getting eery. i love it. let's try again.
m&m 1 is an old dungeon crawler. same as most roguelikes are dungeon crawlers. 1st parallel
it features tedious loss of progress. like all roguelikes. 2nd one
it's riddled with randomness. a fundamental feature of roguelikes. 3rd one
now you tell me. is it a roguelike?
i wasn't gonna quote your entire drivel when your titles sufficed for the point i was making. at least try not to be a retard.
and now regardless of genre, when you first encountered the aspects you are criticizing, was there no hint that you might not enjoy the game?
I gave it my best shot, I really did, but there are so many aspects which are user-unfriendly it's physically unbearable.
sounds to me like you wanted to play a game you knew you wouldn't like for the sake of bragging about it after beating it and the whole thing backfired and now you're mad at the game.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Nope.

do you even lift, bro?

Do you even read, bro?

*mic drop*

Is M&M1 a roguelike?

WTF are you on?

this is getting eery. i love it. let's try again.
m&m 1 is an old dungeon crawler. same as most roguelikes are dungeon crawlers. 1st parallel
it features tedious loss of progress. like all roguelikes. 2nd one
it's riddled with randomness. a fundamental feature of roguelikes. 3rd one
now you tell me. is it a roguelike?
i wasn't gonna quote your entire drivel when your titles sufficed for the point i was making. at least try not to be a retard.
and now regardless of genre, when you first encountered the aspects you are criticizing, was there no hint that you might not enjoy the game?
I gave it my best shot, I really did, but there are so many aspects which are user-unfriendly it's physically unbearable.
sounds to me like you wanted to play a game you knew you wouldn't like for the sake of bragging about it after beating it and the whole thing backfired and now you're mad at the game.

Ok, so you think it's a roguelike, fair enough, I'll be sure to exclude it from polling in the RPG polls, and I'll direct all the butthurt your way...

Parsifarka

Arcane
Thanks to this thread I gathered the will to make another attempt at this game. Counting all the failed starts I've made in this game since I bought the 6-pack on GOG in December of 2011 I must have spent already some ten hours being TPK'd, but last night I managed to finallly do it... I activated the first quest! :dance:

I kept playing till the absinthe made me unable to properly type the keys, with my characters close to level 4 in Erliquin; a bunch of fearsome statues blocked the main path but I got there trough the lower quadrant. I was stupid enough as to steal the city's treasure and got blasted by some golem guards. I hope I can get to Agar without running into sprites or worse. And what to say about that portal under Sorpigal which takes you to acid ponds and ogres which will kill every single character in a single turn; the right punishment for the low leveled hybris.

Beautiful game. Every step you take outside the inn is a chance for a tragic event to happen -or a rewarding discovery; this feeling of awe and wonder is unmatched by any computer game I've played before. What a sweet night it was. I'm in love.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'd play an updated MM1 with enhanced graphics and smoother interface (but not too smooth... don't want console-esque shite... but auto-mapping is a must, even if it's designed to be immersive like a required mapper sklil or Eagle Eye spells) but with the same hardcore mechanics in a second, but the original version just doesn't get me wet. I wonder if that Japanese-port of MM1 will ever get a fan-translated release in the west. It looks slick. The lowest low-fi blobber I can tolerate would probably be something like Dungeon Master (Amiga version) or Dragons Wars Apple IIGS (Amiga too, but the GS version has nicer music coded by Becky Burger).

Luzur

Good Sir
Well there is always the NES version on an emulator if you need more saving help.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
I'd play an updated MM1 with enhanced graphics and smoother interface (but not too smooth... don't want console-esque shite... but auto-mapping is a must, even if it's designed to be immersive like a required mapper sklil or Eagle Eye spells) but with the same hardcore mechanics in a second, but the original version just doesn't get me wet. I wonder if that Japanese-port of MM1 will ever get a fan-translated release in the west. It looks slick. The lowest low-fi blobber I can tolerate would probably be something like Dungeon Master (Amiga version) or Dragons Wars Apple IIGS (Amiga too, but the GS version has nicer music coded by Becky Burger).

I was part of an old remake of MM1 (mapping and info guy) along with a guy named Wyzardry and Balrog (or Baldrog, cant remember anymore)back in the old days of early 2000's, sadly Wyzardry just vanished a year in and the project died.

So it was pretty close of one getting into existance, but sadly its the only one i heard of since then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom