Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Tom Selleck

Arcane
s2qCe.jpg

but also i liked how the twitter man tagged himself

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the second time I see he used "after any conversation" recently, but it is in fact "the moment you see them" for New Vegas NPCs, guess he's forgetting his own game :P

I think he's talking about the minimum universal standard he set for all NPCs (which most of them obviously exceeded). I can't recall right now, but some might be scripted to start a conversation before you can react.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah but those were just a few cases(if any); off the top of my head I only remember Sunny Smiles starting convo before we could do anything as we entered the bar, tho if we enter the bar from one of the other doors we could kill her before letting her talk I guess(?). I believe he stated something like "you can kill them the moment you see them" as the design guideline in the GDC'12 talk I linked earlier. There are many auto-started conversations in PoE tho and he could be more inclined to use them in favor of narrative nowadays, its taking away from gameplay freedom tho not much.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sawyer talks about F:NV JSawyer mod in an article about restoration mods: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-modders-are-restoring-the-classics/

It’s not just fans who have taken to modding. Josh Sawyer, project director and lead designer on Fallout: New Vegas at Obsidian, offered a small mod post-release called the Jsawyer Mod that tweaks the game more in line with his original plan for the difficulty. The mod was conceived after the game was completed. “I started to realise that with our development cycles for the DLCs, and due to some technical issues with how the DLCs and main game interact, there were quite a few issues that we wouldn’t be able to officially address.”

Intent on addressing these issues, Sawyer was also keen to balance the game’s difficulty more towards his original vision. “I held back on the base difficulty of Fallout: New Vegas because Fallout 3’s base difficulty was low and I didn’t think it was reasonable to spike up the challenge too much. I wanted to create a more challenging experience in the mod.”

His list of tweaks might seem minor but they make for a vastly different experience when put into practice, and for the curious, represents a chance to play a kind of ‘Director’s Cut’ of the game.

“Most of the changes were easy to make,” Sawyer elaborates. “Bethesda’s tools are terrific for making and editing content. My workflow at home was very similar to what it was as work. The reason the mod is called JSawyer is because our naming convention for local files at work was first initial and last name. So the mod is really just named that way because my work environment at home was the same as at Obsidian. I just wasn’t connected to any source control.”

Sawyer continues, “There were a few things I had difficulty changing and I made a bunch of ‘dirty’ edits in the process. Dirty edits (changes made as a shortcut to get a mod working that may in turn cause problems or conflict with other mods) aren’t really a thing that we had to worry about when working on Fallout: New Vegas through source control, so I wasn’t sure how to deal with them. A talented modder [Xporc] helped me clean up the dirty edits and make the changes I was having difficulty with.”

[...]

What about the developers who worked on these games, how do they feel about the restoring of cut content? Josh Sawyer seems pretty laid back about it all. Speaking on Fallout: New Vegas, he says “I don’t think there’s anything special about the content that was cut. I don’t mind people restoring/extending it, but I also don’t think there’s anything more interesting about what we cut compared to new content that modders could develop.”

On the community surrounding these demanding projects, Sawyer has more complex feelings. “Participating directly in the modding community also helped confirm that the communities also pressure modders heavily to overextend their scope by accommodating feature requests over time,” he explains. “I suspected this was a problem, which is why I made no concessions to making versions supporting just the base game, supporting various combinations of DLCs, or making changes to my mod to support compatibility with other mods. It’s also why the only official hosting location for my mod is on my website. I can’t control what people do with it once it’s out there, but I can state, ‘This is the only official place to find my mod and if you find it somewhere else, I disavow it.’”

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That's too bad. Dean Domino had a certain style and flair to his voice that others lacked, a combination of high rise snob and the gravel of an underworld criminal.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What about the developers who worked on these games, how do they feel about the restoring of cut content? Josh Sawyer seems pretty laid back about it all. Speaking on Fallout: New Vegas, he says “I don’t think there’s anything special about the content that was cut. I don’t mind people restoring/extending it, but I also don’t think there’s anything more interesting about what we cut compared to new content that modders could develop.”

This is uit an unusual attitude to have; most developers seem to think their content is the Second Coming.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is uit an unusual attitude to have; most developers seem to think their content is the Second Coming.
The Sawyer is a complex animal which frequently displays irregular behaviour for the homo-dev offshoot, and modern paleoanthropological studies have found sufficient commonality between the Sawyer and its distant bro-grognard ancestors to prompt a wave of favourable comparative analysis. Research suggests the homo-dev trait of self-aggrandizement could've developed as a result of 'thal interbreeding, but this assertion is contended within the field and more evidence is required for working models.

IUCN has placed the Sawyer on its red list which further dampens scientific efforts. Attempts to locate a suitable mate have failed, possibly as a result of life in confinement which is known to aversely affect sexual activity and procreative instinct. Peer review on whether to release the Sawyer into the wild occurs decennially. Activists point to the Avellone as an example of the psychological benefit, while skeptics dismiss such claims as placebo and argue the move to be detrimental based on hard data. Conclusions remain elusive given the short window of study. Regardless, the Sawyer generates enough interest to warrant further analysis, and posterity will judge whether this line of inquiry was valid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom