Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I'm Starting to Dislike Ratings

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I have been observing myself and others use ratings not in addition to but instead of posts to react to posts.
I feel this behavior intensifies with time and it's affecting the practice element of posting.
Ratings encourage laziness of thought and/or formulating coherent answers.
While one liners and shitposts and memes and getting side tracked or even having a thread completely derailed may be annoying in some cases to some people, it's definitely preferable to the direction things are currently heading: lowest effort interaction.
Given the high levels of obsession, passion and just plain intelligence on the codex, the issue is not yet very visible but in time we may some day come to realize we've not just become older but stupider.
In my youth I was lucky enough to be taught english by my TV before dubbing became a thing in my country, much like all other romanians my age who could at that time afford a TV and cable. Then dubbing happened. Then localization of internet sites and games. The convenience of not having to learn a language to understand what's happening on TV, on your computer or on your phone led to all subsequent generations of kids having to struggle with english in schools.
Im worried future generations of codexers may not be able to actually post, only react to to infinitron's shilling by pushing the rating buttons.
I think some people might be pissed if their special donations-bought-ratings get revoked. but if the codex is still willing to offer the traditional codex experience with butthurt inducing design decisions, it's not too late yet to get rid of this cancer.
Please don't rate this post, you retards!

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Doesn't scale to your level.
i actually expect my proposition to remove the ratings to fail miserably. we have grown used to them. the only thing that may motivate DarkUnderlord to remove them is the potential butthurt it would cause.
I think that the only thing that can motivate him do remove them is something like this:
f83aa7edb58fa7feecd592b5e00ba34f--money-pics-cash-money.jpg

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Im worried future generations of codexers may not be able to actually post

But if we don't post, then how can we rate?

:philosoraptor:
in addition to being a jew, infinitron is obviously also a shilling machine. So he's the one who will be doing the posting and we'll just rate his posts. what don't you understand?
we won't even need to be able to read or comprehend (his posts). they will contain pictures and videos and we will just click on the ratings.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have been observing myself and others use ratings not in addition to but instead of posts to react to posts.
I feel this behavior intensifies with time and it's affecting the practice element of posting.
Ratings encourage laziness of thought and/or formulating coherent answers.
While one liners and shitposts and memes and getting side tracked or even having a thread completely derailed may be annoying in some cases to some people, it's definitely preferable to the direction things are currently heading: lowest effort interaction.
Given the high levels of obsession, passion and just plain intelligence on the codex, the issue is not yet very visible but in time we may some day come to realize we've not just become older but stupider.
In my youth I was lucky enough to be taught english by my TV before dubbing became a thing in my country, much like all other romanians my age who could at that time afford a TV and cable. Then dubbing happened. Then localization of internet sites and games. The convenience of not having to learn a language to understand what's happening on TV, on your computer or on your phone led to all subsequent generations of kids having to struggle with english in schools.
Im worried future generations of codexers may not be able to actually post, only react to to infinitron's shilling by pushing the rating buttons.
I think some people might be pissed it their special donations-bought-ratings get revoked. but if the codex is still willing to offer the traditional codex experience with butthurt inducing design decisions, it's not too late yet to get rid of this cancer.
Please don't rate this post, you retards!

I completely agree. It is too face-booky and retarded. I don't get it or why any sane person would want it. Either you have something to say or you don't. And even with the rating system most of what is said is retarded and from kids and not worth writing. It did nothing to stop the stupids from saying stupid shit so what function does it serve? If it actually stopped the retards from saying retarded shit I'd be for it, but they just rate and spew instead of just spew.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
DrnibXr.png

If I was throwing ratings around like fucking Shinobi shurikens in the arcade game like you do, I'd probably be bored of them too.

Last edited:

Cool name

Arcane
as far as I can tell DU originally added them to troll the userbase since almost everyone hated them

now that they've been around for a while and many people have grown to like them or never knew codex without them, it would be the ideal time to take them away if he still has those tendencies

I don't mind them though

Doktor Best

Arcane
I have a feeling that many take those ratings way too seriously.

There should be an option to make them invisible in the account settings though.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Or they could be invisible for the first X days in order to avoid snowball mentality and also to cause time-delayed butthurt explosions.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ever since ratings arrived you barely see funny reaction images / gifs anymore which sucks
And I talked about this ( a lot) during that Poll about if we should have these buttons beyond brofist but people laughed at me... I stayed on 'Dex primarily because every topic made me laugh because of these things. These stupid buttons and ratings don't make me laugh at all.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Im worried future generations of codexers may not be able to actually post

But if we don't post, then how can we rate?

:philosoraptor:

In the far future primitive text based comments will be depreciated. Forum users will instead have the futuristic ability to rate ratings recursively. OPs will begin threads with a page filing fart, burp, or ow my balls rating. Respondents will then rate the OP's rating with a smaller icon and in turn their ratings will also be rated by other users. This futuristic recursive rating activity will continue towards infinity, or until all of the thread participants die, or get bored with the activity, which is highly unlikely.

Idiocracy-2006-pic-3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom