Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Halp with Wizardry VII

Revenant

...I can't beat the initial ratmen ambush. Yeah I know I suck. I'm RTFM'ing but haven't finished that yet and this game is already so awesome I can't stop thinking about playing it. Why didn't I start playing it years ago?

Any tips on party creation/gameplay without too much spoilers are welcome.

And yeah... this is a drunk post. But a serious one. I haven't been as excited about gaming as Wizardry VII made me feel, and at 31 year old age when I'm extremely jaded with video games to boot.

pippin

I think Wizardry 7 is the game that demands the most ammount of powergaming and party planning of the entire series actually. People love to change classes in 6 for instance, but it's not *mandatory* to do so. I only change it once. 8 does not need class changes at all and it's actually discouraged due to it having a different system, mostly related, irrc, to spell power (which increases per levels, so changing classes would negate that?).

That said, you can go with some fighters at the beginning, or a mage or bard which can cast sleep, and probably a monk. I've read some guides praising the Monk as the best class in Wiz 7, and this one particular guide I read reccomended to have one since the beginning. It is indeed a quite useful class (hiding + melee + crits + psionic spells after a few levels).

The cluebook gives you the most critical info for a starting party imo. Feel free to use the wiz 6-7-8 editor to increase the chance of high rolls since it can be a pain in the butt to get a good one sometimes, and it's not really cheating imo.

Shin

Cipher
How major is the impact (on difficulty) of importing a well-leveled, well equipped party from Wiz 6? I finished 6 a few months back for the first time but haven't got around to importing them/playing Wiz 7. Everyone had at least 2 class changes iirc.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
How major is the impact (on difficulty) of importing a well-leveled, well equipped party from Wiz 6? I finished 6 a few months back for the first time but haven't got around to importing them/playing Wiz 7. Everyone had at least 2 class changes iirc.

The biggest impact on difficulty is from importing weapons. Avenger sword, Muramasa, and Maenad's Lance are all endgame-tier items in Wizardry 7, if you import them you'll have them for the whole game.

Other than that, starting at level 5 can make the beginning easier but has no real effect beyond the first areas. Depending on your Wiz 6 ending, you can actually end up in a tougher area than the usual new game start for Wiz 7, making the game somewhat harder. You should also have pretty good starting stats, but that will be wiped out by your first class change.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Basic classes have an advantage in the early game due to leveling quicker and getting more of those precious skill points. But most of the imported weapons can only be used by prestige classes...
Personally I found it tough going, after New City, even with the imported super weapons.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
...I can't beat the initial ratmen ambush. Yeah I know I suck. I'm RTFM'ing but haven't finished that yet and this game is already so awesome I can't stop thinking about playing it. Why didn't I start playing it years ago?

And yeah... this is a drunk post. But a serious one. I haven't been as excited about gaming as Wizardry VII made me feel, and at 31 year old age when I'm extremely jaded with video games to boot.

What ratmen ambush exactly? Where are you? What level?

For multi classing, the basic concept is to start with the basic classes to form the core character abilities and level quickly in the early game - that would be Fighter, Mage, Cleric, or Thief. Then once you have the stats, switch to an intermediate class to add useful skills - Ranger works well because they have average stats and access to Ninjutsu (stealth) and Kirijutsu (Instant Kills). When you multi-class, all stats revert to their racial and class minimums, so with certain combos you can end up with really hosed stats and have a hard time continuing on your desired class change path. It pays to plan out your changes ahead of time. Once you have the desired skill set, you should switch to your final classes based on what equipment you want them to use. These would usually be Lord, Valkyrie, Monk, Ninja, or Samurai.

For dedicated spellcasters, the only things that matter are mana regen and spell skills. Mana regen is set at character creation and determined by their first class, so all casters should start as priests or mages. After that you should change classes to grind extra skill points to quickly max out the spell schools AND get spell picks to fill out your spell list. Since you only get spell picks for the current class's default spell school, it pays to specialize. That means if you multiclass your priest, you should stick to classes that learn priest spells, like Lord and Valkyrie, or do Mage - Bard - Samurai. That way you continue to get spells at a steady rate. Another option is to go back and forth between two casting classes until you max them both. Priest - Mage works for this since you can end as a Bishop, which learns both mage and priest spells. High level spells are worth rushing for because they include a lot of AoE nukes that can make grinding and leveling a breeze.

Covenant

Savant

What ratmen ambush exactly?

Pretty sure he means the one where the narrator is all 'Blah blah the trees... perfect place for... AMBUSH!' and you face a bunch of Ratmen Bandits. I forget whether it's on the path to the starter dungeon or the path to New City, which makes a bit of a difference in suggested advice for the OP. If the latter, obviously, go the other way and do the starter dungeon first. If not, rely on Sleep spells/Faerie Dust/the Lute as best you can. Sleep is incredibly useful early on.

mondblut

Arcane
It's in front of New City. Starting dungeon is mandatory. Have a bard in party.

Also, by the time you finish starting dungeon, you must have changed classes of the entire party at least once :smug:

Covenant

Savant
For dedicated spellcasters, the only things that matter are mana regen and spell skills. Mana regen is set at character creation and determined by their first class, so all casters should start as priests or mages.

Didn't notice this before, but I believe that only applies to Bane, not Crusaders.

Also, rangers don't get Kirijutsu (bro, do you even Wizardry?). They can do critical hits with their arrows, but to actually raise the Kirijutsu skill you need to be a Monk/Samurai/Ninja. For the initial point, anyway, after that you can raise it as whatever the fuck you like.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
For dedicated spellcasters, the only things that matter are mana regen and spell skills. Mana regen is set at character creation and determined by their first class, so all casters should start as priests or mages.

Didn't notice this before, but I believe that only applies to Bane, not Crusaders.

Also, rangers don't get Kirijutsu (bro, do you even Wizardry?). They can do critical hits with their arrows, but to actually raise the Kirijutsu skill you need to be a Monk/Samurai/Ninja. For the initial point, anyway, after that you can raise it as whatever the fuck you like.

Ah, rangers get stealth but not critical strike, my mistake. Still a good mid-tier class for the stat reqs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom