Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Hellion

Arcane
During certain events when 1 pop ends up being killed by something, the corresponding event window states that "an entire city was destroyed on planet X" or something like that. So I guess 1 pop is supposed to represent 1 city, whatever its exact population size is.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
During certain events when 1 pop ends up being killed by something, the corresponding event window states that "an entire city was destroyed on planet X" or something like that. So I guess 1 pop is supposed to represent 1 city, whatever its exact population size is.
So we on earth can have only 8 cities?!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So we on earth can have only 8 cities?!

I'm guessing it's Mega cities like in Judge Dredd :)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems like we might finally get some combat/defensive station improvements in the near future:

22181232_1972624203006815_5985809328637634054_o.jpg

Hellion

Arcane
It's pretty certain that the next game updates will deal with war and diplomacy. Another screen they posted shows what looks like defense stations placed together, so maybe they'll remove their "cannot place around other stations" radius when building them.

22179894_1972481979687704_7924092644775545645_o.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Devs said they wanted to replace spaceports with shipyard. Keeping spaceports to some functions but building ships from some well protected hub. That may be it. They always expressed dissatisfaction with spaceport mechanics, when if you kill all shipyards enemy can't perform a comeback.

kris

Arcane
Or just make them build without having to place them? That's micromanagement hell. Imho. However building an impenetrable fortress should be achievable. The balance is currently in favour of the aggressor.
Only Russians can mount a war winning defence.

England/GB done that many times, although some people claim they are using an exploit. (some also claim that about the Russians)

i'd solve the issue with starbases by making them satellites with huuuuuuuuuuge defenses and which shoot back. this way sieges are costly but are necessary because otherwise troop ships would be slaughtered and a ground defenses based defense could prove to be viable. this could also open the doors to repair ships and bomber ships, both not very versed to the actual fighting so specialized fleets could be intercepted and shot down, dealing a huge blow to even much stronger but less cunning empires.
all this is within actual rules, it could be done right now as a mod.

"could", not "i can".
you know, the man can land on the moon, so now YOU have to do it. YOU, just YOU, because it could be done.

fuck off dude.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I solved all the issues of Stellaris by stopped playing it a few days after release.The game have a shitty core and no amount of patches and dlcs will fix it.After all the lead dev is a fucking faggot that got where he is by screwing people and sucking the CIO's dick.Lol now that i think about it that covers half the paradox staff.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

waits patiently for modders to fix all the things Paradox messed up with their "patches" and "expansions" again.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Huge static defenses would not solve doomstack problem for Stellaris. Yes, your home system could be safe but enemy doomstack can raze your colonies as he pleases. in the end every wat will become wars of attrition.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not even that I'd argue, since usually mineral reserves won't cover constant new fleets, but more importantly the war of attrition is only possible if the two sides are roughly equal. Which probably isn't the case.

Yeah, losing most of your fleet is basically an auto-lose for any war, excepting major AI stupidity at conquering. To actually come back you need to be like the USA vs. Japan in WW2: You so heavily outclass the enemy that you can outproduce their decades of fleet investment in a few months.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yeah, losing most of your fleet is basically an auto-lose for any war, excepting major AI stupidity at conquering. To actually come back you need to be like the USA vs. Japan in WW2: You so heavily outclass the enemy that you can outproduce their decades of fleet investment in a few months.
not so impossible when the AI hovers over one of your worlds for months while waiting for transport fleets. the main issue is when you are completely outnumbered by multiple enemies, or one far more advanced enemy.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The problem with Stellaris' combat is that there's not only no penalty for doomstacking all your ships into one big blob, but that it's actually the best strategy you can do. You need a doomstack to beat enemy's doomstack and it's also the best way to minimize loses when attacking spacestations and spaceports. Heck, it's even counter-productive to try even the most basic maneuvers like splitting your fleet in half and flanking the enemy, because actual battle is one giant clusterfuck of ships circling each other in melee range without any tactics whatsoever.

Basically, whole combat needs to be redesigned from a scratch, no amount of fiddling with this or that will ever fix it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems like the border system will change in the near future too?? Apparently we're gonna see some important changes with the next DlC
22405589_1975656809370221_7999142776869508736_n.jpg

22366634_1975573409378561_6031177972495791939_n.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom