Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Battle Chasers: Nightwar - JRPG-inspired RPG based on the comic book by Joe Madureira

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
  • randomly generated dungeons
  • compelling combat
  • unique characters
  • rich weapons crafting system
  • an amazing soundtrack

This makes it sound like shit. Random dungeons always suck compared to hand crafted well made dungeons. Amazing soundtrack has nothing to do with how good a game is and is a hipster idiot selling point which hints at their intended audience. Unique characters is hipster speak for slightly interactive movie, or a game focused on cut scenes of a stupid story for children and idiots that is on rails and chose the wrong medium to be told.

This game sounds like it should be in the jrpg forum or strategy game forum as it isn't an rpg.

pippin

The comic was pretty dumb and this is looking like a timewaster at best tbh.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There are 3 negative reviews on Steam and all of them are complaining about the fact that they keys cannot be rebinded.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I am enjoying it so far.

BTW: When does Guts get his hand cannon?

pippin

There are 3 negative reviews on Steam and all of them are complaining about the fact that they keys cannot be rebinded.

this is a sensible opinion in 20 fucking 17 tbqhwy familia

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
hand crafted well made dungeons.
Pffft. When was the last time you saw one of those? I haven't seen such a thing for about 20 years. I'll take a game with some replay value over oblivion dungeons any day, thanks.

That said I have no hype for this at all. All of one screenshot with any UI at all and it's a bog standard shop- only selling 3 fucking items at that. Usually indicative of incredibly simple, shallow mechanics.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooooo is it playable?Most junkrpgs are grindy,repetitive and copy-paste shit.Japs do lack any kind of imagination(outside of story).

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
hand crafted well made dungeons.
Pffft. When was the last time you saw one of those? I haven't seen such a thing for about 20 years. I'll take a game with some replay value over oblivion dungeons any day, thanks.

That said I have no hype for this at all. All of one screenshot with any UI at all and it's a bog standard shop- only selling 3 fucking items at that. Usually indicative of incredibly simple, shallow mechanics.

Oblivion dungeons where generic random dungeons, right? Anyway, why would developers waste time making food dungeons in kids games like Oblivion, Witcher, or other media aimed at retards and kids? If you want good dungeons hand crafted in the last 20 years you'll have to play games made for an adult audience like ToEE. Also, please name the games from 20 years ago that had good dungeons and I'll be able to tell you all the games in the last two decades with similar.

jungl

Augur
Game is way too grindy and on the easy side definitly a pass for me. Reminds me of kings bountys without any brains needed to play. Who wants to sit through thousands of trash fights you know you going to win? Watching the same animations thousands of times. No thanks. Its like you playing one of those grand startegy games where some reason they don't allow you to automate fights and you forced to go through every single enemy encounter, oh and enemies respawn adding more time wasting filler.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oblivion dungeons where generic random dungeons, right?
I mean, they were hand crafted by a AAA studio with decades of experience crafting dungeons. If they're going to fuck it up, why would you expect good dungeons from anyone else?

Meanwhile games like Brogue can spit out interesting random ass dungeons routinely. The problem isn't randomness, the problem is shitty mechanics like giving every character access to every skill in the game, garbage loot that makes no difference, and shitty enemies that can be defeated by a 3 foot ledge and a long stick. If you stuck the ToEE into Oblivion it'd still be a shit dungeon because it'd be full of level scaled garbage wtih no gameplay difference between any of it.

The shapes of fucking rooms does not a dungeon make.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've put a couple of hours into the game and it seems it's not worth the effort or the money.

Pros:
- Exploration feels rewarding sometimes (on the other hand the game rewards your for doing anything).
- Some mobs are interesting. Hip hip hurray for mobs diversity.
- Visuals are good. The dungeons don't seem to be procedurally generated. Maybe only the loot !?
- Crafting system which doesn't required all ingredients in order to craft something.
- Boss fights. They are not great but at least they are different from the rest of the fights.

Neutrals:
- The characters are standard comics fare.
- The story is progressing at a snail pace.
- The overall world has a desolate feeling. Locations don't make a lot of sense.

Cons:
- Walking speed inside dungeons is very slow. Too many trash mobs and pointless fights. Grind, grind never changes! :)
- Typical RPG broken economy: you cannot buy shit because it's too expensive. I mean critical items are covered by money earned during normal exploration but anything else requires grinding.
- Low synergy between skills. Combos are possible but I find the skills combinations to be lackluster. This is probably the most annoying thing. By level 10 you have many skills but the vast majority are pointless.
- The character has a ATK rating and all the skills depend on that. If you cast something unarmed is like 50% less effective than if you equip anything. Doesn't make sense. Why should the skill damage depend on a item which is not used for casting !?
- I found myself using the same skills and the game is designed in such a way that each character has a specific skill which you are supposed to abuse. Meh.
- You cannot heal for free outside battles but then you can fight 1 mob: cast armor, he cannot damage you but you can heal yourself with spells. Somewhat retarded.

Big No-No(s):
- You start the game with 3 characters. And then you find another 2 characters which are not automatically leveled. I assume that all characters must have the same level towards the end game which means that you are forced to grind levels on all characters.
- Tactical thinking is not really required therefore the challenge level is almost zero. Combined with everything I mentioned before this means that the game has the same charm as playing Candy Crush Saga or ... PoE.

Bottom line:
Don't bother. The game's main purpose is to waste your time instead of providing a fun experience. There are a couple of good mechanics but overall it's bland ... like watching paint dry.
It's sad that the visuals are wasted on such a poorly designed game. My will to continue is gone.

Edit: Sorry for the bad English but I'm tired.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I mean, they were hand crafted by a AAA studio with decades of experience crafting dungeons. If they're going to fuck it up, why would you expect good dungeons from anyone else?

Its hard to understand why you think a AAA developer, which means consoles and kids as a demographic, could ever make an interesting dungeon for adults. Making anything of quality beyond the superficial isn't what AAA devs do. As long as it looks great, has the facial animations tuned to a fine sheen, is fully voiced acted, has naked women, and is designed around the philosophies of simplicity and controllers it will sell like pancakes. Stupid people like stupid shit that looks good. It would be ridiculous to expect a good dungeon in a triple A game. Or any sort of system or mechanic that isn't aimed at their core demographic, which is the majority of this site. Just click on posts at random to see why I am right.

Did ToEE have good dungeons because of the game designers or the module designers? Why aren't popular module designers more employed by serious game developers? Because the serious developers are rare and not profitable in the short term.

Like with wine, the good shit isn't easy to come buy or sold to the mass markets.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
It would be ridiculous to expect a good dungeon in a triple A game..
Not every AAA is guilty, Dark Souls and Dishonored 2 both have excellent level-design

Dishonored 2 is a general console game for kids. Dark Souls is hipster shit for people who let others do their thinking for them.

And even if you were right you still failed to list an rpg with a good dungeon from a AAA game, but you aren't so it doesn't matter.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It would be ridiculous to expect a good dungeon in a triple A game..
Not every AAA is guilty, Dark Souls and Dishonored 2 both have excellent level-design

Dishonored 2 is a general console game for kids. Dark Souls is hipster shit for people who let others do their thinking for them.

And even if you were right you still failed to list an rpg with a good dungeon from a AAA game, but you aren't so it doesn't matter.

Duh skyrim obviously!

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What a piece of shit. Trash mob onslaught, nothing but trash mob frenzy in the midst of a poorly implemented turn based system. Art and presentation are good but it's missing the part where it isn't a grindfest with a journal demanding you slay 100 bats and the part that is actually fun.

Renevent

Cipher
Demanding? The monster lore completion barely give any bonuses (like +1% to a stat) and you complete the vast majority of them just playing the game. I have most them completed and am about 75% through the game, and I don't even pay attention to them.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/huge-battle-chasers-nightwar-patch-makes-it-less-grindy-and-more-difficult/

Huge Battle Chasers: Nightwar patch makes it less grindy and more difficult
More experience, more money, more fun.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar has been a long time coming. We got our first proper look at the turn-based RPG earlier this year, but it's been in the oven ever since its developers, Airship Syndicate, grouped up following the closure of Darksiders developer Vigil Games. Now it's finally out, and it's had a rough time of it, with many players criticizing how grindy the later stages of the game can be. In a recent, massive patch, Airship Syndicate addressed several of these complaints.

The biggest changes have to do with experience and gold. Most importantly, the overall experience curve "for mid to late game" has been adjusted so levels come faster. Upgrading your gear is also considerably cheaper thanks to reduced blacksmith prices, and easier thanks to increased gold drops.

Combat has also been made more exciting. Loot diversity has been improved across the board, and certain instances like the Shade of Belevros now spawn more frequently. Several abilities and statuses have also been rebalanced to make fights more challenging.

This dovetails nicely with the other focus of the patch: new game plus. In brief, subsequent playthroughs will be more difficult going forward. Enemies and bosses have been scaled up and gear has been slightly scaled down.

A mountain of bug fixes accompanied these core changes. You can read the patch notes in full in this forum post.

Our review of Battle Chasers: Nightwar is ongoing and will take this patch into account. Check back later in the week for our final thoughts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom