Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian DLC Survey - Results are in

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE - Results: https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/9/entry-206-the-results-of-our-recent-dlc-survey/

Huh:

OBSIDIAN WANTS
YOUR OPINION ABOUT DLC!

Hi Infinitron,

At Obsidian, we believe that making groundbreaking games can and should be done only by directly collaborating with our fans. We want to know what you think about downloadable content (DLC), and how we should approach it.

We've prepared a brief survey that will help you tell us your opinion on DLC (and a little about yourself, if you want). The entire survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete, and we would be incredibly grateful if you'd take a little time out of your day to tell us what you think.

We'd love it even more if you'd share the survey with any friends who are also fans of ours, too!

The survey will close on October 20, 2017, so please don't wait!

Thank you very much for participating, and for being a fan of Obsidian.

Take the Survey

All the best,
The Obsidian Team

For PoE2, I assume?

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
They're trying to find their DLC policy footing in the post-Paradox era. Good for them for asking the people's opinion, I guess.

Taking the survey I realized that I own every DLC/Expansion Obsidian has ever released, except for the Dungeon Siege 3 one. You're welcome, Feargus.

PS.
Ie2bQVT4TOmfug4iVD21Ug.png

:decline:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm doing the survey now, but some options are really vague and I'm afraid they'll interpret it wrong lol.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I feel like only the "how big do you want the DLCs to be", the one Esh posted and maybe "what do you think is a fair price for a season pass" are the only relevant questions in there.

Hellion

Arcane
Their definition of "DLC" seems to include traditional Expansion Packs Ă  la Mask of the Betrayer, according to the wording of some questions. So having DLC in mind when discussing their unreleased games doesn't necessarily mean cut content from the base game or portrait packs and Horse Armor.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I didn't notice any presumption on their part, even one of their questions, like I mentioned, is how big do we want the DLCs to be, one answer was "bite-sized". I put in the biggest one, obviously, everything else should be in patches.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Looks like they formed the questions in such a way that they can read whatever they want from the survey.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You guys find problems everywhere. The survey is clear and its fine. Stop crying.

Rev

Arcane
I would've preferred some different poll options, like I couldn't state that I prefer expanions/DLCs like Mask of the Betrayer instead of DLCs put in the middle of the base game and that requires you to start a new game and play for 15-20 hours before you can gain access to it (or load an old save, if you still have it). Even if the quality is high, such as with TWM1 & 2 (second part especially), this kind of DLC is still kind of a pain in the ass: it's clearly made for people who buy GOTY editions, and it's less "comfortable" for the most "loyal" consumers who bought the game at day one.

Meurglys

Literate
Second question is bullshit. Because upgrading or buying the DLC separately is more expensive than buying the whole game again with GOTY™ Enhanced™ Deluxe™ Director's Cut™ Edition.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What if I am unable to envision a case where I would pay anything more than $20 for a computer game?

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh tu for bringing this to my attention ti is very impolrtant to make sure thsoe of use who finished Pillars can send much needed information here are my results for Deadfire expansion DLC>

q1 - White March 1 and White March 2.
q2 - Wait for a sale or promotion, then buy the DLC - highly likely. (iw ould never do this for everything else)
q3 - 3x most valuable (More/Expanded Single-Player Campaigns/Quests; More Companions; Post Endgame Reactivity; Ancillary Content) everything else [Least Valuable]
q4 - "BEEFY" expansions.
q5 - Extremely important. (Price; Trailer/Screenshots) everything else [Not important]
q6 - $25 for season pass but q2. still wait for sale or promotion.
q7 - $25 again it will not change b/c price of the game is $10 more. wtf right?

omg there are 16 questions!!!! :?

q8 - Yes (would influence my choice to buy the game if future DLCs free!) [and price of the game does not go up by $25 because of this!!!]
q9 - #1 PILLARS! .... #5 Casual .... #11 Sports.
q10 - 1. (closet gamer)
q11 - 40-49.
q12 - Female.
q13 - CANADA, EH?!
heart.png

q14 - wtf how does hit matter are you going to make real costly games in the future because of this w/required 11mb gfx cards or something??? omg! :argh: :argh:
q15 - Windows PC - DAILY! [Do not own on all the rest]
q16 - wtf CostCo? lol. :roll: GOG (1-2/year) and STEAM (3-5/year). [NEVER for the rest]

"Thank you for completing our survey! Obsidian will carefully examine all responses. Your opinion will help drive our approach to DLC."

Thanks,
Sherry

wyes gull

Savant
Actually looked through the questionnaire and I can't help but wonder if they've already decided that they -have- to complement sales with additional revenue to make bank/stay afloat and I have to ask if Feargus wouldn't be better served by being a bit more "direct".

Something like- "Fren, you and I both know that despite our kickstarters being "huge successes", the games cost a lot more than that to make. I mean, fucksake, we're based off of California, aight? Hookers are expensive here. Blow, not so much- but then whose asses are we gonna snort it off of? Tim Cain's? We already scared off MCA with that sorta talk. Anyway, look, we need to make some more moolah. Sounds good? Now please tell us what games of ours you own/intend to own, grade them for us, tell the avg income of your area and how much you're willing to spend in a game, what sort of payment and delivery practices do you prefer, what supplemental content would you enjoy/consider spending your green on and lastly if you ever pirated anything from us (no we won't trace your IP, use them 7 proxies if you're worried) please tell us why you did it and what it would take to make us our dear customer. Thanks and go fuck yourselves, -Uncle F."

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Wrong, bitch! There are two biological genders, check your genitals if ur confused and answer accordingly! Do not attempt to lie.

What I initially wanted to say is, I was a bit surprised by the question that included the possibility for answers connected with cooperative and competitive multiplayer. Does no one remember how boring it is to play IE games in multiplayer, with the constant pausing so that someone can cast his magic or make a decision? It will be even worse in PoE, with the heavy management of characters that it needs.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Filled it, pointless as they're not makin games i'll even buy anymore, an moving away towards increasing casualisation but fuck it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The multiplayer in the IE games were always an afterthought, though. That wasn't their point in the first place. I doubt they'll shoehorn multiplayer in PoE2, but who knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pillars 2 will not have multiplayer. You don't "shoehorn" that sort of thing into a crowdfunded game without telling anybody.

But after the D:OS 2 explosion, pressure will be high to add it to the next Pillars game. And then of course there's Tim and Leonard's game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I can't imagine how the answers to these questions will be useful for them when planning a non-PoE game, and I am dead certain that it's far too late to shoehorn multiplayer into Deadfire at this point. (written before I saw Infinitron's post)

Jezal_k23

Didn't Larian's own survey show that just about nobody gives a single fuck about coop/pvp? Will there really be pressure to shoehorn in something that nobody cares about?

I mean, I guess there could be given the success of DOS2, but I just find it so amusing after Larian's own survey showed multiplayer is one of the elements people care the least about, and yet it's like they are forcibly shoving it down people's throats or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Didn't Larian's own survey show that just about nobody gives a single fuck about coop/pvp? Will there really be pressure to shoehorn in something that nobody cares about?

I mean, I guess there could be given the success of DOS2, but I just find it so amusing after Larian's own survey showed multiplayer is one of the elements people care the least about, and yet it's like they are forcibly shoving it down people's throats or something.

Multiplayer isn't for the sort of people who reply to surveys. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom