Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxenfree

Venser

Erudite

Oxenfree is a supernatural thriller about a group of friends who unwittingly open a ghostly rift. You play as Alex, a bright, rebellious teenager who brings her new stepbrother Jonas to an overnight party on an old military island. The night takes a terrifying turn when you unwittingly open a ghostly gate spawned from the island’s cryptic past. How you deal with these events, your peers, and the ominous creatures you’ve unleashed is up to you.
It features an intelligent conversation system that changes the story and your relationships based on every decision you make

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/

Looks pretty interesting. Anyone here played it yet? Was tempted to pick it up but apparently it's only 4 hours long so I guess I'll wait for the price drop.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Nice dialogue system and voice acting but terrible pacing... Also, it's awfly unoptimized, it runs like shit with long loading screens. I guess if you're in side scrolling walking sims, you might find it interesting.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just wasted 3-4 hours finishing this thing. Words fail me, I'll just let the game do the talking...

65ncvu94.jpg

3ah4h9ke.jpg

8ab8g7dc.jpg

jpkef6ik.jpg

pmq4z63t.jpg

ytlmvmru.jpg

:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:/:5/5:

Starwars

Arcane
I kind of enjoyed the idea of Oxenfree (the perspective, and trying for a "horror" mystery atmosphere) but yeah... I could not stand the writing and the dialogue in it. It's terrible.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I think, like, there's a good 'game' inside of Oxenfree. Maybe not 'good' and maybe not a 'game' but like, a good 'version of whatever the fuck it is', but this particular instance was ruined by almost every single element of execution. Like what if you made an Umberto Eco book like this? Like The Name of the Rose or something and you're wandering around an Abbey getting clues. Look, I don't know.

I think I sort of liked how
there was a mysterious NUCULAR submarine experiment
but that was wasted by having millennial bluehairs wander around being hella gay.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Truth be told, the dialogues might be stupid but they are actually pretty "realistic". Most teenagers do speak in this retarded ,and potentially even worse, kind of manner..

V_K

Arcane
People need to stop making sidescrollers - it's the #1 sign of indie shovelware.
Not saying it's inherent to sidescrollers, but if it's made in the last decade and is a sidescroller=instant pass.
Not true, Goetia has a side-scrolling perspectives and is one of the best adventures of recent years. It's also highly original while remaining a proper adventure with puzzles that are not braindead.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Truth be told, the dialogues might be stupid but they are actually pretty "realistic". Most teenagers do speak in this retarded ,and potentially even worse, kind of manner..
I often talk like this too, even in supposedly prestigious role-playing situations. "So ... what are we doing now? We're gonna go fight the dragon guy, right? What about the chick with the Bananarama hair, are we gonna kill her, or what? She has an orb, or something? I don't remember any of this." This isn't appropriate for a high fantasy epic, but for a story about real people, I'm into it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I often talk like this too, even in supposedly prestigious role-playing situations. "So ... what are we doing now? We're gonna go fight the dragon guy, right? What about the chick with the Bananarama hair, are we gonna kill her, or what? She has an orb, or something? I don't remember any of this." This isn't appropriate for a high fantasy epic, but for a story about real people, I'm into it.
Yeah it worked for me in Oxenfree too I gotta say. I liked the game for what it was. I wanted to play through it again actually with some different choices to see if I can understand more of what happened

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fully realizing that I'll damage my carefully cultivated edgy Codex cred, I have to say I like the setting, characters, premise of the game "game". A group of kids trapped in a weird situation, dealing with interpersonal stuff even as a scary external force threatens them, and they can't appeal to adults for help. It's a cool genre reminiscent of 80s films like The Goonies, E.T., etc. and that we're seeing a revival of in new shows like Stranger Things, at least one good game (Life is Strange) as well as in indie P&P systems.

The problem is the dialogue interface sucks. Every time another character is talking, the protagonist can jump in and say something; the player has like 2 seconds to decide before the options fade away. Which is fine. What's wrong is that you can't talk without interrupting someone else, cutting off their lines in the middle. So if, like me, you were raised to be reasonably polite and listen to a whole sentence before answering it ... you never get to answer it ... so you have to make a choice between interacting with the dialogue or listening to it. You can't do both. It's incredibly grating and it's making me not want to go back to the game after playing the first hour.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom