Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds fake. The Fallout 4 mention gives it away, that's just too much.
Fess up, which one of you sad fucks pretended to be his own waifu there?
:rpgcodex:

Also shame on anyone who cares about this stillborn series.
S3BHKsF.gif

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't do that, I'm still in prison. Or not a Trumpist? Dunno what exactly unlocks this participation award button. How about getting fisted instead?

edit:
Now I get it. Participation awards are for the thread-opening post only.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I had some fun with DA Origins. At the time I was annoyed with it because it was hyped as being a modern Baldurs Gate type game, which I knew wouldn't turn out well... but I still expected it to be alright. But the things that pissed me off were all the noobification of important things. It was almost a really good RPG, but then you get an aura that automatically heals everyone in your party in pulses over and over... And then there is the fact that the billion spells you used to get in the old D&D based games are now replaced with this tidy little dumb talent tree that limits you to maybe 10 spells per character.

Also I am a huge Mage/spell caster lover, but the magic was just too powerful. It started really promising but when you get ambushed by 20 archers all over the place, the only real option was to cast a massive frost storm that freezes all the enemies place, and then cast a huge lightning storm or firestorm on top of them which blasts them all to death. It was satisfying the first few times and then it just felt stupid.

That said, I did have some fun with it. I enjoyed the earlier levels before all the firestorm nonsense, and I really liked using the 'control' magic, so I could fight 5 enemies at once and weaken one, stun one, freeze one, etc. It was tactical goodness, albeit a simplified version. But I really liked the engine, it felt slick, everything moved properly and I could view in 3rd person or zoom out and get a high up view. I figured they spent a lot of money getting that engine working, and I figured maybe some of the depth suffered because of it, so I was really hoping DA2 might be like BG2... Taking the same engine and making a huge deep game out of it. And then those stupid cunts go and spend even more money on graphics, and dumb down the combat even further. I couldn't even give my party gear or control them properly, and I kept getting sent back to the same dungeon 50 times? Fuck you EAware.

The third game I 'tried' mostly out of morbid curiosity. I was amazed at the some of the graphics, but also amazed that they turned a tactical RPG series with potential, into a single player RPG that desperately wants to be a dumb single character action game. I just don't understand it. Why set off in one direction different to all modern gaming, and then backtrack and go the same dumb route as everyone else? If they wanted to make their own EAware flavored Skyrim or whatever, why not just make that to begin with? Why have a party at all? Why have a hotbar with multiple spells? Just make it like Skyrim with left hand right hand, pew pew.

Then again, this is EA who never fail to fail. They absorbed countless amazing companies, and yet managed to turn classic long lasting serieses like Command & Conquer into shit. EA: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The writer from OP is no longer working on Dragon Age: https://www.pcgamesn.com/dragon-age-4/dragon-age-4-story-alexis-kennedy

The writer recently did a freelance writing stint at BioWare, working on a specific section for a game in the Dragon Age series. If you were a betting person, your money would be safe if you put it on Kennedy’s involvement being something to do with death, containing dark humour, and possibly passing through a metaphorical mirror.

“Dragon Age 4 - we can neither confirm or deny,” Kennedy laughs. “This is what people assume I was working on and nobody at BioWare has said ‘that is a crazy assumption’, but, equally, neither have they said, and neither have I said, that’s what I’m working on. It is confirmed to be a project in the Dragon Age franchise and I did work with Dragon Age writers...

“They hived off a bit of the lore for me to go and do a deep dive on, and develop a bunch of typically gothic, miserablist, surreal, Kennedy stuff. I think it would not be surprising if it were about death, and I think that element will survive if nothing else does - it will be related to the body of my work.” The section Kennedy is developing will be a playable part of the story, not just background lore, which means he’s fleshed out characters, written dialogue, and worked on the backstory.

After six months with BioWare, he’s now back at it as a lone agent, making another game about death: Cultist Simulator. Well, death and longing. Just as people miss loved ones who are gone from their lives, we sometimes miss things we never had. And that longing might lead us to wonder, ‘What’s on the other side of the ocean?’

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Something's telling me DA4 will be a ME: Andromeda repeat.

ME:A was the way it was for many reasons, but BioWare can avoid many of those reasons this time round.

They said the same thing about DA:I.

Don't really see anyway for Bioware to get out of the hole it has been dug into. They've joined Eidos and Arkane in AA-sales land.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bioware games may not be interesting,but the shit storms around them are. Hope that DA and anthem are filled with sjw bullshit and have a bunch of tranny racist black devs,oh and women.

Delterius

Arcane
Something's telling me DA4 will be a ME: Andromeda repeat.

ME:A was the way it was for many reasons, but BioWare can avoid many of those reasons this time round.

They said the same thing about DA:I.

Don't really see anyway for Bioware to get out of the hole it has been dug into. They've joined Eidos and Arkane in AA-sales land.
For all its issues, DA:I isn't a technical disaster. If anything, what makes it so frustrating is all the misguided effort put into it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
People keep talking about Bioware but it isn't really them anymore is it? It is just some department within EA that at the most has a few non-senior people who used to work at Bioware when they were still a company. Dragon Age just needs to do decide if it wants to be an action game, or an RPG? Because if it is going to be an action game for the masses then they need to be looking at Mortal Kombat type games. Have some dumb basic story about good vs evil, and focus on graphics and ass kicking. If it is going to be an RPG, make a new Baldurs Gate type game, or just don't bother. These half n half shit doesn't work. Countless games do the same thing, try to make an action game for the masses that poses as a deeper and more tactical game. It doesn't fool anyone. That Ubisoft Mordor thing is what Dragon Age should become. Make it about running around beating up monstorz with Arkham City type controls.

Fry

Arcane
Bioware games may not be interesting,but the shit storms around them are. Hope that DA and anthem are filled with sjw bullshit and have a bunch of tranny racist black devs,oh and women.

Anthem is going to be a Destiny clone. I doubt it'll have enough story to be "SJW" or otherwise.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You know the series is dead when the hype thread is only 12 pages long after 5 months.

(for reference, the Wasteland 3 hype thread was 12 pages after 2 weeks).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People keep talking about Bioware but it isn't really them anymore is it? It is just some department within EA that at the most has a few non-senior people who used to work at Bioware when they were still a company. Dragon Age just needs to do decide if it wants to be an action game, or an RPG? Because if it is going to be an action game for the masses then they need to be looking at Mortal Kombat type games. Have some dumb basic story about good vs evil, and focus on graphics and ass kicking. If it is going to be an RPG, make a new Baldurs Gate type game, or just don't bother. These half n half shit doesn't work. Countless games do the same thing, try to make an action game for the masses that poses as a deeper and more tactical game. It doesn't fool anyone. That Ubisoft Mordor thing is what Dragon Age should become. Make it about running around beating up monstorz with Arkham City type controls.

Pretty much.

Either focus on Michelin star quality or start churning cheap burgers for dumb masses. But Dragon Age was like those luxury burger delis - too expensive to make and maintain, with just a few seats. Also unbearably pretentious, dank with urban-librul beta-ness and with "fight patriarchy" posters on the wall.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You know the series is dead when the hype thread is only 12 pages long after 5 months.

We knew a lot more about Wasteland 3 than the next Dragon whatever.

Also this is a Bioware thing, hardly anyone on the Codex is going to feel any hype for it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

We knew a lot more about Wasteland 3 than the next Dragon whatever.

Also this is a Bioware thing, hardly anyone on the Codex is going to feel any hype for it.

Since when do people need anything to rag on/fanboy a series...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Pretty much.

Either focus on Michelin star quality or start churning cheap burgers for dumb masses. But Dragon Age was like those luxury burger delis - too expensive to make and maintain, with just a few seats. Also unbearably pretentious, dank with urban-librul beta-ness and with "fight patriarchy" posters on the wall.
The crazy thing is how much money they will have blown on that piece of shit last game. Imagine how fun it could be if they spent that much money on a modern Dark Messiah type action game. Fireballs blowing stuff off cliffs and into wall spikes and stuff, stealth, mages, melees, all really good and fun and accessible but challenging. That's what an action game should be.

And the same goes for the other route, imagine how good an RPG would be if they spent that enormous budget on a real RPG. No voice overs, no over the top graphics engines and millions of quests, just a good tactical RPG like a modern ToEE or something, but with the budget of DA:I it would have been amazing... But no, they just had to go and blow a zillion dollars on a single player MMO.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
And the same goes for the other route, imagine how good an RPG would be if they spent that enormous budget on a real RPG. No voice overs, no over the top graphics engines and millions of quests, just a good tactical RPG like a modern ToEE or something, but with the budget of DA:I it would have been amazing

They would only make 10% of that money back.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Even if they do spend that kind of money on the actual rpg,will still be a giant corporate mess. Also even old classics like Gothic have voice acting.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Big budgets and big dev teams are rarely what makes an RPG good. They are what makes a big return on a big investment.

Most great RPGs, in the past as well as in the last years, have been done by small teams working a long time.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
And the same goes for the other route, imagine how good an RPG would be if they spent that enormous budget on a real RPG. No voice overs, no over the top graphics engines and millions of quests, just a good tactical RPG like a modern ToEE or something, but with the budget of DA:I it would have been amazing

They would only make 10% of that money back.
Probably :\

vonAchdorf

Arcane

The thread will only pick up speed once they release the first companion details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom