Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Notorious

Augur
Difficulty is borked all over again. I played VH as Teclis and it was just terribly annoying to play. I could barley finance 1 full stack of army (With starter units) while even a 2 province faction could easily raise 2. I had constant rebellions unless I stationed troops in every province. Doing the rituals was a nightmare with 3 chaos armies spawning.

Then I played Hard and it was way too easy... oh well - guess I'll wait for mods...

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
rashiakas

Enlighten me, mate, don't sit there like a puckered anus.

Ran a few quick tests with Executioners vs Swordmasters and Phoenix Guard vs Black Guard.

Interesting results. The Executioners fought the Swordmasters to a standstill. They won both battles, barely (once Martial Proficiency went down, it was all over but the crying). The Phoenix Guard, however, pushed the Black Guard's shit in. I only just noticed the former's 30% physical resistance - which is massive and completely makes up for the small difference in armor. Oh and Martial Mastery (or whatever the better version of Proficiency is called) with +8 MA and +12 MD makes a huge difference, too.

The PG beat the BG with 65 survivors, which is pretty crushing, considering they're in the same bracket. The latter would have traded far more evenly if the Martial Mastery went down, but they didn't even manage to bring the PG below 50%.

Nonetheless, on the evidence of the above, Chosen (Great Weapons) will shit on Swordmasters.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Difficulty is borked all over again. I played VH as Teclis and it was just terribly annoying to play. I could barley finance 1 full stack of army (With starter units) while even a 2 province faction could easily raise 2. I had constant rebellions unless I stationed troops in every province. Doing the rituals was a nightmare with 3 chaos armies spawning.

Then I played Hard and it was way too easy... oh well - guess I'll wait for mods...

Yea, it's annoying that you can barely field more than one full stack.
The trick is, I've found, to not bother doing things "perfectly". You can build tall in one or two provinces and then go after the ritual resource towns by themselves. Don't bother trying to conquer the entire province, it's just a waste of time. The building that gives +10 resources costs less than 1000 gold and having two or three means you can keep up with the AI.

Notorious

Augur

Yea, it's annoying that you can barely field more than one full stack.
The trick is, I've found, to not bother doing things "perfectly". You can build tall in one or two provinces and then go after the ritual resource towns by themselves. Don't bother trying to conquer the entire province, it's just a waste of time. The building that gives +10 resources costs less than 1000 gold and having two or three means you can keep up with the AI.

For that I would need trade partners, of which I have one (Citadel of Dusk) Maybe I should send someone to Ulthuan to establish some? That may have been a major mistake. And how do you grow your cities without the commandment for food? Building food recources works, but it takes way too long. Also on my hard game I saw a gold province in the center that might help (The dwarfen one is pretty much unconquerable on VH)

Another major difference between my Hard and VH game was how the lizards work. I think on VH they're broken, because their morale is so good that they pretty much never break. They go into rage mode before that happens, making them effectevily an undead army. On my Hard game they broke normally with only a few units going into rage mode.

Andnjord

Arcane

On the last stretch of my VH campaign with Teclis at the moment. Regarding the beginning, you don't need more than that full stack filled with archers and spearmen. You can just abuse overcasted flock of doom on those saurii blobs and your swordmasters will absolutely flatten everything that comes their way at this point in the game. HE archers are also extremely good early game, you don't even need to bother with sea guards yet (they're too expensive) and your terror inducing phoenix will send the hordes fleeing with a rear charge once they've been damaged by flock of doom/withering archer fire/buttraped by swormasters. It gets a bit hairy after that until you've researched sea-trading empire (or whatever the name of that research to reveal sea tiles is) as you won't be able to support a second stack without trading income. Once you've researched that tech, start trading with the other HE, make bank, raise more armies, start face-rolling.

Vibalist

Arcane
Which has some implication for WH3, which doesn't have that many juicy factions anymore, and I estimated number of concurrent players to 30000. Which would be VERY bad for SEGA. It will be no longer money racking enterprise, and there might be possibly even cancellation of WH 3.

Chaos Dwarves?
KTDGdcO.jpg

I disagree that the money racket is running out of steam. I do not think it is just about adding more factions. Instead, I would argue that CA/SEGA could just add another campaign/Vortex mechanic, with minor renovations to older factions (Empire, Dwarves, etc). In fact, I believe I read that CA plans to revisit older factions at some point, and you damn well know it will be behind a paywall. In addition, you have factions such Nagash, Ogre Kingdoms, and Chaos God aligned daemon armies, plus a dozen other obscure armies such as Dogs of War, Pirate Coast, Araby, and Cathay. Provided that CA does not completely drop the ball, I do not think the Total Warhammer installments are in jeopardy.

Or they could add some goddamn navies. :argh:

Notorious

Augur

On the last stretch of my VH campaign with Teclis at the moment. Regarding the beginning, you don't need more than that full stack filled with archers and spearmen. You can just abuse overcasted flock of doom on those saurii blobs and your swordmasters will absolutely flatten everything that comes their way at this point in the game. HE archers are also extremely good early game, you don't even need to bother with sea guards yet (they're too expensive) and your terror inducing phoenix will send the hordes fleeing with a rear charge once they've been damaged by flock of doom/withering archer fire/buttraped by swormasters. It gets a bit hairy after that until you've researched sea-trading empire (or whatever the name of that research to reveal sea tiles is) as you won't be able to support a second stack without trading income. Once you've researched that tech, start trading with the other HE, make bank, raise more armies, start face-rolling.

Thanks. I already used the tactics above to get me as far as it did, but when I constantly fought 2 full army stacks, beat them, conquered a city just so that the ai had already build another 2 I lost patience (Together with the 3 chaos armies spawning when I finally launched the ritual). I probably was too greedy and should've stayed at 6-8 settlements, maybe I'll try again sometime in the future

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Another major difference between my Hard and VH game was how the lizards work. I think on VH they're broken, because their morale is so good that they pretty much never break. They go into rage mode before that happens, making them effectevily an undead army. On my Hard game they broke normally with only a few units going into rage mode.
Why are you playing at VH? When it's too high difficulty for you, you can play at normal.

Notorious

Augur
Why are you playing at VH? When it's too high difficulty for you, you can play at normal.

I wrote in my first post that I find VH too frustrating and Hard too easy, so I don't follow you

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally diving into this. I started a Teclis campaign, and I am finding the HE roster kind of strange. The Lothern Sea Guard seemed great at first, but I am wondering if it is better to keep regular spearmen and archers and invest the money in other higher tier units. The normal spearmen and archers seem to do well enough (for now).

Also, anyone test out White Lions?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Magic spam is my plan with Teclis, but I do like using high tier units to flank.

Andnjord

Arcane
Also, anyone test out White Lions?
I skipped them and beelined straight to swordmasters, so I only used them when defending settlements. I've found them kind of bad to be honest, but they spent most of their time getting stomped on by Chosen warriors of Chaos and skaven Death Runners with 7 XP levels spawned by Rituals, so it probably wasn't very representative of their real capabilities.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Has AI unit recruitment issues and agent spam been fixed in this iteration?

Agent spam doesn't affect the player as much since the distance between the playable factions is rather large, recruitment is still wonky. Personally I haven't see anything too out of place yet but the AI does seem to favor monsters over regular infantry.

Foolish Codex-things spend-pay many warp tokens on glorified expansion.

Turn one recruit an additional lord and send him pick up the sea-born loot on one half of the map. Turn two recruit another lord and send him to vacuum clean the second half of the map. Use the vast wealth earned by merely picking up all free loot to spam elite-tier interventions early game when the best the AI can muster is a bunch of basic units. Mop up what's left of their settlements with your regular armies. Campaign is broken as fuck. Why do I keep giving these CA fuckers money? WHY??????

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Foolish Codex-things spend-pay many warp tokens on glorified expansion.

Turn one recruit an additional lord and send him pick up the sea-born loot on one half of the map. Turn two recruit another lord and send him to vacuum clean the second half of the map. Use the vast wealth earned by merely picking up all free loot to spam elite-tier interventions early game when the best the AI can muster is a bunch of basic units. Mop up what's left of their settlements with your regular armies. Campaign is broken as fuck. Why do I keep giving these CA fuckers money? WHY??????
You pay + 15 percent for each lord on Legendary difficulty. Thus enjoy paying your small armies.

Anyway. Do you remember they fucked Skaven summon? Like no mass and clustering?

Anyway. Do you remember they fucked Skaven summon? Like no mass and clustering?
There's a mod "Brutal Battles" which plays around unit spacing. I found it improves things there a bit. And a mod that prevents the Skaven sumdmon degrading over time. Those two make playing Skaven a bit more ... Skaveny.

Raapys

Arcane
How's the end turn processing times here? We talking 30sec++ or more like 5-10 sec? Mid/late game, that is.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
THere is a small circular stuff on Hydra's image. Remember you have only 3 fire attack per combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom