Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
At least they are alive. I think.

[link]

Hello everyone! We had no update in the August mainly because we want to give you the exact information about the release date etc which is still happening this month.

In other news we continue to discuss technical issues regarding the release of the game with the publisher, perform localization to English and other languages, and also resolve various legal matters.

Currently we are working on tuning last game levels, shooting videos for main and alternative game endings (very cool process on its own), and making the launch trailer along with intro video as well.

The whole game is being played from the beginning till the end time after time to find all possible bugs and faults, while we finish latest unique in-game contents promised to our backers.

The biggest chunk of work we are concerned with currently is improving the animation system (close combat animations particularly). We will also have to add a few more foes and improve boss fights as well.

21544104_1663136860397928_2124094421737575723_o.jpg

21457593_1663136833731264_3942343825574368419_o.jpg

polo

Magister
I don't even know how am i suposed to redeem my copy, their website is still down i think. Its been forever.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The whole text:

Updated InSomnia release plan
Posted by Studio MONO (Creator)
Hello everyone! We have promised to deliver important news this month, so here we go:

Fighting your way through
  • Russian to English translations of all text content will be started by the end of October 2017 (it will take about two months to process it all)
  • the development of InSomnia will be finished by 1st of November 2017. This is when the most serious testing phase will kick in
  • in January 2018 we are getting all text translated. By this time we will be able to fix most if not all issues discovered during the testing period, and basically this is when we will be ready to start Steam EA
  • the official launch of InSomnia is planned to be started in February 2018
Fire in the hole!
We are also working on the release trailer for the game. Currently all the material has been already collected and is on the editor's table now.

We will certainly have more news throughout October as legal stuff is taking ridiculously long time to be completed (this includes the final name of the project as you might have guessed "insomnia" is the name that has been already trademarked but we are looking for ways to keep it one way or another).

Keeping our fingers crossed
Once again we are very thankful to all of you incredible people who believed in us (some of you did this twice which means a lot), and we hate to keep you waiting for so long. As you can see we are finally getting to the point when InSomnia is released and this fact fills our hearts with lots of joy and satisfaction.

There is still work to be done but we are ready to do everything necessary for this game to be delivered to you. Stay tuned as there are many exciting things waiting for all of us ahead. Get yourself on InSomnia hypetrain:

Created by Alex Reshetko specially for InSomnia

polo

Magister
So, when i was convincin' myself this was vapurware the guys release an update. Closed beta around xmas, and when the beta is launched the game release date will be announced, apparently.

polo

Magister
Long version:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892480689/insomnia-pc-max-linux/posts/2060582

Christmas presents come early this year
Hello everyone! We kept radio silence for quite some time now but there was a good reason for that. As a reward for your patience this update will contain some very pleasant news. So let's roll...

Closed InSomnia beta test
5b7957a9b6d9b6db3506607c2d0ae552_original.png

Wondering the Object 6 can be messy at times
So long story short: the closed beta test for everyone who is eligible to have an access to it will start later this month. This means you definitely will have something to occupy yourself with by the end of the year. Hopefully you are as thrilled about this as we are. When the time comes we will finally distribute the Steam keys that will eventually transform into final InSomnia build.

Official release date announcement
5846274bed1c510e1aa3134096c957e5_original.png

The Object 6 journey is just about to start...
The launch of closed beta test will be naturally accompanied with updated Steam page for InSomnia that will include the release date of the game and new trailer. This means that this December promises to be a very busy month for all our backers.

The publisher
af82d9b435fdc3e7491e28647c0701d3_original.jpg

We do love all the living creatures. Do you?
Other good thing is that we have left all legal issues regarding getting along with the publisher behind us and the agreement is signed now. We made sure to get the best deal possible to deliver something we'll be all proud of.

The name of the publisher and all good things that come with it will be announced in the next Kickstarter update that will go online in the following weeks along with closed beta Steam keys distribution, release date announcement and new InSomnia trailer.

3498e604c8c1f5ad6baaada4c5e20f65_original.png

Get ready to rumble...
This is really happening and we are so excited and thankful to all of you for your patience and belief that you've put in our project.

Stay tuned!

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I've tried the demo [direct link] for a couple of minutes because it crashed and ... I think the game has potential.

Now, there is nothing new I can say. Combat is still shit but at least the controls are for PC and not a pad. I wish they would do TB combat but it's probably too late for this game.

On the other hand, the world and atmosphere are good. The art direction is quite special.

Well if you have checked their latest video which actually displays mechanics and UI they have COMPLETELY & UTTERLY butchered it. From slick, stylish, immersive UI which goes along with game perfectly and displays ton of stats to... bland, uninspired, Skyrimesque, transparent, minimalistic, modern with almost no stats to display and CLERALY made for consoles.

You don't believe me? Here you go:

Then:

95d7c10a9e49cc6a6da1a545ceba4136_original.png

71471cfa85d0727c5d468ce4789255a0_original.png

Now:

They have fucking butchered the UI's style. It's so bad it should be crime. Also is this even RPG any longer? All they've been showing for quite a long time are graphics, moar graphics, art, sounds, moar graphics. Fine, fine that's all fine but what happened with all the underlying RPG systems? Wasn't this supposed to be inspired by original Fallouts? From RTwP to RT to console UI... Hey, at least muh graphics are great!
:negative:

polo

Magister
I've tried the demo [direct link] for a couple of minutes because it crashed and ... I think the game has potential.

Now, there is nothing new I can say. Combat is still shit but at least the controls are for PC and not a pad. I wish they would do TB combat but it's probably too late for this game.

On the other hand, the world and atmosphere are good. The art direction is quite special.

Looks like they MMORPGe'd it. They switched from incline old school UI to 100% decline modern shit. I don't care that much about UIs honestly but damn.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Looks like they MMORPGe'd it. They switched from incline old school UI to 100% decline modern shit. I don't care that much about UIs honestly but damn.

Let's not go full drama. The actual game-play is more important than the UI.

Kron

Arcane
The Wall said:
They have fucking butchered the UI's style. It's so bad it should be crime.

What the fuck...

The fact that this game had a stylish, setting-appropriate "physical" looking UI, with art deco reliefs and actual buttons, was one the things that stood out the most to me, seeing as most games nowadays go for that transparent boring shit.

I'm guessing the retard logic behind it is that less UI makes the game more immersive... the contrary is the case actually, a proper one which fits the setting, like in Fallout, is so much better.

EDIT:
toro said:

Going full drama about the looks of the game is important when the whole appeal of the game is the looks. The gameplay has always been crap.

Also, that latest video is from April; can't remember when the demo first came out, maybe 2016? Who knows what has changed/not changed from early 2017 to now.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The Wall said:
They have fucking butchered the UI's style. It's so bad it should be crime.

What the fuck...

The fact that this game had a stylish, setting-appropriate "physical" looking UI, with art deco reliefs and actual buttons, was one the things that stood out the most to me, seeing as most games nowadays go for that transparent boring shit.

I'm guessing the retard logic behind it is that less UI makes the game more immersive... the contrary is the case actually, a proper one which fits the setting, like in Fallout, is so much better.

EDIT:
toro said:

Going full drama about the looks of the game is important when the whole appeal of the game is the looks. The gameplay has always been crap.

Also, that latest video is from April; can't remember when the demo first came out, maybe 2016? Who knows what has changed/not changed from early 2017 to now.

I love turn-based combat but that doesn't mean that I will dismiss any game which doesn't have turn based combat.

I love good UI design but that doesn't mean that I will dismiss any game which doesn't have good UI design.

No, the gameplay was crap compared to best-of-the-best but not when you compare it with ELEX (for example).

Let's wait and see what we get before going full retard drama queen.

Lhynn

Arcane
Zombra has horrible taste and is one of the most feminine posters around. His opinion is that of an ignorant woman.
Anyway, a shame about the game, but i kinda had lost hope when i saw the video of the dude rolling around in combat like a year ago.

Heretic

Cipher

Well if you have checked their latest video which actually displays mechanics and UI they have COMPLETELY & UTTERLY butchered it. From slick, stylish, immersive UI which goes along with game perfectly and displays ton of stats to... bland, uninspired, Skyrimesque, transparent, minimalistic, modern with almost no stats to display and CLERALY made for consoles.

You don't believe me? Here you go:

Then:

95d7c10a9e49cc6a6da1a545ceba4136_original.png

71471cfa85d0727c5d468ce4789255a0_original.png

Now:

They have fucking butchered the UI's style. It's so bad it should be crime. Also is this even RPG any longer? All they've been showing for quite a long time are graphics, moar graphics, art, sounds, moar graphics. Fine, fine that's all fine but what happened with all the underlying RPG systems? Wasn't this supposed to be inspired by original Fallouts? From RTwP to RT to console UI... Hey, at least muh graphics are great!

Seriously, what are you talking about? I watched the whole EA preview. There is a normal inventory on display, a skill tree/list is visible. Stats are not visible, but I presume it's the third tab that the player didn't click.

The UI seems absolutely fine.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Seriously, what are you talking about? I watched the whole EA preview. There is a normal inventory on display, a skill tree/list is visible. Stats are not visible, but I presume it's the third tab that the player didn't click.

The UI seems absolutely fine.
If you are not noticing ANY change in UI whatsoever than I don't know what to tell you. Are you saying that there was not even slightest change in UI or that new UI is fine?

Either way I couldn't possibly disagree more with you. Also there used to be overall much more stats displayed. For example when you clicked on any item in inventory it used to show you below flavor text its weight and value. It no longer shows you that. Every piece of weapon and armor when examined used to show you sometimes dozen of stats. Now I can't see any. In last 2 years they have BARELY not talked about any RPG aspect of the game. Don't you think that's a bit weird for a game which on every single screenshot puts watermark with Insomnia - Dieselpunk RPG?

All they have talked and showed are muh graphics, muh graphics, muh graphics. Like a plastic bimbo whore. Is there any substance to her except her good looking body - in this case graphics? Even her makeup is all messed up now (UI). I'm afraid that one of the main reasons behind minimalistic UI is that many RPG systems and mechanics have been either hidden, removed, automated or dumbed down and thus they no longer have much to display. Also modern retarded school of thought that every game should have exact same Assassin's Creed/Witcher/Skyrim/Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Far Cry etc. minimalistic UI showing you as much of the screen on which you can do as little as possible. Not to mention that UI was just like in Fallout 1 & 2 so well done that it added a lot to the game's atmosphere and immersion. UI is a way through which you interact with RPG's RPG systems and mechanics. If there's barely any UI that means that there are barely any RPG systems and mechanics for you to interact with because if not through UI how else are you supposed to? Once again - removing such unique and gorgeous UI and replacing it with this Apple, modern, uniformed, transparent crap should be a war crime. Curses upon dumbfuck who made such decision.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't realize that active UI elements removed so much information. Completely agree that that sucks. I just like it to be out of the way when it's not telling me anything.

Heretic

Cipher
I'm replaying Gothic 2 right now. There is nothing on the screen but the health bar (and the mana bar if you equip a spell). It doesn't make the game worse - it shows me exactly all I need 99% of the time. When I need more, I pull up the character sheet or the inventory. Admittedly, it could be less minimalistic - hotkey items and spells are only visible in the inventory, but it's not really a problem.

I don't understand the argument that showing less on the main game screen makes the game worse.

I don't play games for their UI but for the world, writing, quests, combat etc. The UI either gets in the way or it does its job. This one seems to do its job.

Much ado about nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom