Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 20th Anniversary: Available Free on Steam, Interview at PCGamesN

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Taylor; Fallout; Feargus Urquhart; Interplay; Leonard Boyarsky; Tim Cain

The original Fallout was released by Interplay twenty years ago today. If you're reading this, you probably know how important a game Fallout is. Along with Baldur's Gate, it would help kick off the late 90s revival of the computer roleplaying genre. The RPG Codex would almost certainly not exist without it. In honor of this anniversary, the franchise's overlords at Bethesda have kindly made the game available for free on Steam for today. Meanwhile, the gentlemen at PCGamesN have published an interview with some of its creators who now work at Obsidian Entertainment. Here's an excerpt:

For a short while, Interplay had planned to make several games in the GURPS system. But soon afterwards they had won the D&D license, a far bigger property that would go on to spawn Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale. As a consequence, Caine’s team were left largely to their own devices.

As for budget - Fallout’s was small enough to pass under the radar. Although Interplay are best remembered for the RPGs of Black Isle and oddball action games like Shiny’s Earthworm Jim, they had mainstream ambitions not so different to those of the bigger publishers today. During Fallout’s development they were primarily interested in sports, and an online game division called Engage.

“It was almost like a smokescreen,” Urquhart explains. “So much money was being pumped into these things that you could go play with your toys and no-one would know.”

Which is exactly what the Fallout team did, pulling out every idea they’d ever intended for a videogame.

“Being just so happy and fired up that we were making this thing basically from scratch and doing virtually whatever we wanted, we had this weird arrogance about the whole thing,” Boyarsky recalls. “‘People are gonna love it, and if they don’t love it they don’t get it.’

“Part of it was a punk rock ethos of, every time we came up with an idea and thought, ‘Wow, no-one would ever do that’, we always wanted to push it further. We chased that stuff and got all excited, like we were doing things we weren't supposed to be doing.”​

[...] “We were really, really fortunate,” Boyarsky says. “No-one gets the opportunity we had to go off in a corner with a budget and a team of great, talented people and make whatever we wanted. That kind of freedom just doesn't exist.

“We were almost 30, so we were old enough to realise what we had going on. A lot of people say, ‘I didn't realise how good it was until it was over’. Every day when I was making Fallout I was thinking, ‘I can't believe we're doing this’. And I even knew in the back of my head that it was never going to be that great again.”

Once Fallout came out, it was no longer the strange project worked on in the shadows with little to no oversight. It was a franchise with established lore that was getting a sequel. It wasn’t long before Boyarsky, Caine, and Anderson left to form their own RPG studio, Troika.

“We knew Fallout 1 was the pinnacle,” Boyarsky says. “We felt like to continue on with it under changed circumstances would possibly leave a bad taste in our mouths. We were so happy and so proud of what we'd done that we didn't want to go there.”

Fallout is larger than this clique now. Literally, in fact: the vault doors Boyarsky once drew in isometric intricacy are now rendered in imposing 3D in Bethesda’s sequels. And yet Boyarksy, Taylor, and Caine now work under the auspices of Obsidian, a studio that has its own, more recent, history with the Fallout series. Should the opportunity arise again, would they take it?

“I’m not sure, to be very honest,” Taylor says. “I loved working on Fallout. It was the best team of people I ever worked with. I think it’s grown so much bigger than myself that I would feel very hesitant to work on it nowadays. I would love to work on a Fallout property, like a board game, but working on another computer game might be too much.”

Boyarsky shares his reservations: that with the best intentions, these old friends could get started on something and tarnish their experience of Fallout.

“It would be very hard for us to swallow working on a Fallout game where somebody else was telling you what you could and couldn't do,” he expands. “I would have a really hard time with someone telling me what Fallout was supposed to be. I'm sure that it would never happen because of the fact that I would have that issue.”

Urquhart - now Obsidian’s CEO - is at pains to point out that Bethesda were nothing but supportive partners throughout the making of Fallout: New Vegas, requesting only a handful of tiny tweaks to Obsidian’s interpretation of its world. “I’ve got to be explicit in saying we are not working on a new Fallout,” he says. “But I absolutely would.”

Caine has mainly built his career by working on original games rather than sequels: Fallout, Arcanum, Wildstar, and Pillars of Eternity. But he would be lying if he said he hadn’t thought about working on another Fallout.

“I’ve had a Fallout game in my head since finishing Fallout 1 that I've never told anyone about,” he admits. “But it's completely designed, start to finish. I know the story, I know the setting, I know the time period, I know what kind of characters are in it. It just sits in the back of my head, and it's sat there for 20 years. I don't think I ever will make it, because by now anything I make would not possibly compare to what's in my head. But it's up there.”
If you don't own Fallout on Steam already, get it now. Play it, remember it. This is a nostalgic moment, but also a sad one, because right now it seems highly unlikely that the Fallout series will ever amount to much again. At least not until Chris Avellone achieves his secret goal of insinuating himself into Bethesda's favor and becoming its Michael Kirkbride-esque creative lead.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
“I’ve had a Fallout game in my head since finishing Fallout 1 that I've never told anyone about,” he admits. “But it's completely designed, start to finish. I know the story, I know the setting, I know the time period, I know what kind of characters are in it. It just sits in the back of my head, and it's sat there for 20 years. I don't think I ever will make it, because by now anything I make would not possibly compare to what's in my head. But it's up there.”

giphy.gif

grimace

Arcane
Play Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game
FREE until September 30th at 11:59PM Pacific Time

This is a free test of the Steam Cloud system. This is only a test.

Paul_cz

Arcane
At least not until Chris Avellone achieves his secret goal of insinuating himself into Bethesda's favor and becoming its Michael Kirkbride-esque creative lead.

I was actually wondering if that could be somewhat possible. Bethesda lacks horribly in writing department, and the reviews and player impressions of Fallout 4 were pretty outspoken about that to my surprise. Avellone already worked on Prey for Zenimax, so it is not a huge stretch to imagine that they might want to hire him again perhaps even for something from Bethesda Game Studio. That is, if Emil's and Todd's egos can handle it.

Turjan

Arcane
It seems to be a short weekend, as the price shows €9.99 here.

Edit: The limit was "until the end of the month".

Neanderthal

Arcane
Its surprising to me how different Fallout an Arcanum were, one a tight almost perfectly designed piece of streamlining done right, the other a massive glorious mess that is one o few games to surprise me at almost every turn. Its just a pity that nobody seems to be learning from or building on them.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
People who still own the original Fallout box in a decent condition should donate them to the local art museum IMO.

They couldn't even spell my name right. :(

If you are not going to make this Fallout game you have in your mind, then maybe your would give us a snippet of it? Just a tinny, little bit, pretty, pretty please? What would make it the best game ever?
:love:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
They couldn't even spell my name right. :(

If you are not going to make this Fallout game you have in your mind, then maybe your would give us a snippet of it? Just a tinny, little bit, pretty, pretty please? What would make it the best game ever?
:love:
Shapes - Son. Lot's of them in different sizes and forms, with varied colors. Dancing all the time right before my very eyes. I tell you it's majestic!!!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom