Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout is 20 years old today!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What the hell?
Im a fan of fallout but I did not play the first 2 games I was excited theeen I found myself shooting rats for 20 minutes not knowing what the hell to do. Once I left the vault a bunch of mole rats molested me and I raged quit. Just shows what quality gameplay is in the crtically aclaimed fallout game. FALLOUT NEW VEGAS FOR THE WIN

See. I always said FNV was no different than Fallout 3, and now I have written proof.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
HLjQuaZ.png

passerby

Arcane
The game plays over an isometric field where enemies like bandits and stray mutts are all out to steal your lunch money and kill your face. You can see enemies on the map and can sometimes manoeuvre around them unperturbed with your party. Alert them, and you’ll find yourself embroiled in an awkwardly slow and painfully boring turn based battle dictated by a stingy allocation of action points. It’s hilarious to watch; you and your pals are running around the map like gazelles, then BANG, a scary bandit stops you and now you can only move a few inches at a time. It’s incredibly frustrating to get within a centimetre of a bandits smelly unwashed face only to find you’ve run out of action points, allowing your foe the first strike with a splintery bat upside your generic, unnamed face.

Literally everything is dictated by your action points; attacking, moving, using items, changing items, reloading items – just everything. I know that’s how a lot of turn-based games work and some people may actually like it but I just felt strangled by them and how they never allowed any wiggle room for a battle to go in a different direction. If you’re mercilessly slaughtering a bunch of enemies for example, you have to ride out the boring regulations that only allow you to kill one at a time because you have to spend tonnes of points reloading your firearms and moving from one to another. Wait a minute? Can’t I just sit in one area and shoot all the baddies from miles away? Nope. Don’t be stupid, this is the apocalypse, and your cable-tied guns aren’t worth jack. You’d be better off throwing dog♥♥♥♥♥♥at your targets as it would probably go farther and possibly do more damage if you got them in the eye.

Luckily, this antiquated Bethesda classic isn’t exactly a visual car crash, and effectively conveys an adequate, albeit unexceptional, atmosphere of post civilisation. So, at least some of these unique Fallout feels are there.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure, there's that other thread about how it's free on Steam through today, but it mentions nothing about this very important occasion.

When Fallout was released, 20 year old games included the first version of Zork and Space Wars, the first arcade game with vector graphics. Feeling old yet?

I bought Fallout years after release in a bundle, so I won't be able to reminisce about how it was in the good old days. In 1997 I was playing Quake and Diablo like some casual PC gamer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I missed Fallout when it was released and only hopped on board the Late 90s RPG Revival(tm) train with Baldur's Gate a year later, something which I feel very regretful for. Even playing it just a few years later (I think it must have been around 2001), it could never be the same.

Corvinus

Arcane
A great game. .223 pistol carnage! The sequels pale in comparison.
...Or turn brown, as is the case from part three and onwards.

Morkar Left

I ignored it for years even while having it bought in a games bundle together with Fallout 2 and a lot of other games. By that time I hadnt's played rpgs for years and wanted fantasy and nothing else. It took around two more years till I got to play it and it was a very cool game in itself. But I still prefer BG as an rpg overall. Fallout 2 I still haven't finished despite it should be good as well. But F1 looks for me like the better "rounded" game. I have the same feeling with G1/G2 btw. Don't know really why it didn't hooked me as much as BG. I guess I just prefer party-based rpgs after all.

Hellion

Arcane
My uncle had bought the game for me back in Christmas 1997. One of the first glorious memories I have of it is getting lost in the starting caverns outside Vault 13 and dying from rat bites. Managing to find the cave's exit eventually, I can still remember reading the "For the first time in your life, you are looking at the outside world" text that showed up in the "narrator" window on the lower left corner. It's amazing how a simple well-worded phrase can fill you with excitement (and also fear of the unknown) like no multi-million budget, cinematic, first-person and "immersive" set-pieces ever will.

I think Total Annihilation and Ultima Online were also released a few days before or after Fallout in September 1997. #FeelsOldMan

Lambach

Arcane
I played the original Fallout last out of the first three, but I forgive myself for it, seeing as how I'm not 200-years-old like some of you people here. Come to think of it, my play order was rather weird. Back in '08, when FO3 was released, I was still loving Oblivion so naturally I wanted to play FO3 since it came from the same developer, but I figured I needed to get myself acquainted with the previous installments in the series. Did some reading up on the first two FO games and everything I could find was basically "FO2 is like the original, only bigger and better in every way!" so I played that one first, loved it, got impatient to start FO3 so I didn't bother with the original. Well, FO3 bored the shit out of me halfway through, since I felt it kept all of Oblivion's flaws and highlighted them further without having the equivalent of things that made Oblivion enjoyable for me (the magic system, the guilds, decent-ish amount of player freedom etc.) and only then I started the first FO.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Arcanum first, didn't know about Fallout until I joined the Codex, then first played FO2 because I dislike time limits, and only then FO1.

They're good games but the best thing about them is that they paved the way for Arcanum, which is the best RPG ever.

I only played Fallout 1/2 few months before Fallout 3 release, to "get ready". Turned out nothing could me ready for that mess but at least I ended up wasting my life here and got my favorite two RPG's out of it.

My first ever PC was bought in 2003 so I didn't know much about any good old stuff, just played whatever shit my friends played at the time. I actually thought Diablo II was as RPG as they come for a while. Until I played Bloodlines in 2006, that one I somehow discovered on my own. Not a bad start for a first RPG either, still among my favorites next to Fallout.

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

In the past, I only played Fallout 1 for a couple of minutes and switched it off. I know that is a sin, but didn't like the combat system and it seemed boring to me. I'll try maybe totady and see if I feel any different about it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I remember buying Fallout 1 in a store the same day I bought The Dig (budget version) and initially thinking I had bought two terrible games.

Same thing happened with Ultima VII and Planescape : Torment back then.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Fallout 2 I still haven't finished despite it should be good as well. But F1 looks for me like the better "rounded" game.

Fallout 1 is like that humble module that your GM picks up, reads for days to know its ins-and-outs, then runs it for you on a night when everyone's sober.

Fallout 2 is that module that your GM picks up because it promises bigger, more sandbox gameplay. GM procrastinates reading until game night itself, then runs it for everyone half-drunk and making shit up or improvising as PCs go along.

Both lead to fun, memorable gaming sessions, though for slightly differing reasons.

kintake

Savant
Started out playing the demo (Remember it being sort of like junktown) and I immediately fell in love with the game.
The setting, the post-apocalyptic art-style, the music and just the whole damn feel of it.
Asked my mother for my allowance as I think I was 12 at the time, then I asked my father a few minutes later to double my gains and rushed to the store to buy it. Pretty sure it said 18+ on the box but hey what clerk has ever given a flying fuck?

Slightly disappointed in my version of the game, as I got the censored EU one (Fuck Germany once again trying to conquer Europe, this time going for diplomatic victory)
Ended up downloading it off DC++ to get the uncensored American version. I'm not much of a child-killer, but I like having all options on the table.
Loved it then, love it now. Just finished my umpteen playthrough about a month ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom