Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Try to convince Vavra to come here more often, he has a profile but rarely posts.

He used to post more often but couldn't handle the mob. Codex is just not a suitable environment for these type A personalities, especially if they actually have a life.

Now I remember, he got into some heated argument with some gentlemen whether his game is or is not rpg (such arguments are here quite rare :D) and about too action nature of Kingdom Come for some gentlemen's taste. Still he's more than welcome and shouldn't be discouraged from talking here if when he wants and when he can. Especially now when he can be showered with all kinds of positive ratings (brofist him gently, lads) type A personalities get here (like Tim Cain) and can hurl all kinds of prosperous things from butthurt to retadred back at them.

It's essentially food fight. He should bring his whole family along for the weekend with RPG Codex!

It's hard for a devs today, to associate with people who throw "nigger" out of their mouths, while these obssessed SJW are constantly lurking and monitoring every inch of your life. Sure the game target demographics is probably not a latino, black obese woman, but nonetheless, maybe he dont want a bad press, especially when retards already pointed out on twitter, his game is too "white" and that he has "convervative" opinions and manners xD

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's hard for a devs today, to associate with people who throw "nigger" out of their mouths, while these obssessed SJW are constantly lurking and monitoring every inch of your life. Sure the game target demographics is probably not a latino, black obese woman, but nonetheless, maybe he dont want a bad press, especially when retards already pointed out on twitter, his game is too "white" and that he has "convervative" opinions and manners xD

So far on twitter he has proven to be able to not get himself in trouble. If he can there I see no reason why he can't here. If he dislikes rpgs he could always go to Kitchen, Codex Public Library, GD etc. or General gaming and GG thread there, if that's more to his liking. Or he could just lurk. Lurk and from time to time drop by and share some of his thoughts. If he doesn't want he doesn't have to but that means that he'll get no brofists. Net loss for him, really. :D

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...we're really not getting an updated beta until release? I really wanted to master the combat at a playable fps before release, specially since it was postponed. :(

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I guess he really hates those weak ass tablet CPUs they are using this gen.

Yeah, used to be that memory was the bottleneck but next-gens have 8GB afaik so it should be enough. But CPUs seems to be the real problem now. My super middle-of-the-road i5 is 3,2 GHz. Consoles have what, 1,5 GHz? I guess there are more powerful versions today but I remember someone from Warhorse saying they have to adjust the game for the crappiest and cheapest next-gen setup even if it was on the market only for a few months. Which obviously makes sense.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah I have 6 years old sandy bridge at 4ghz, consoles have 1.6ghz jaguar, new consoles have 2.3ghz jaguar, still slow as fuck. More cores, but that old Sandy still destroys it. These CPUs are the reason why most console games still run at 30fps while my i5 powers all games except Mafia 3 at 60. Mafia 3 runs 45 when driving, 60 on foot, because it is the most unoptimized piece of shit ever.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I guess there are more powerful versions today but I remember someone from Warhorse saying they have to adjust the game for the crappiest and cheapest next-gen setup even if it was on the market only for a few months

You could probably torture devs by showing them pictures of consoles.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...by-kingdom-come-deliverances-stiff-characters

Don't be put off by Kingdom Come: Deliverance's stiff characters
There's surprising RPG depth underneath.

Historical-not-fantastical medieval role-playing game Kingdom Come: Deliverance has long been in the headlines. Ever since we saw its next-gen mud we followed it, through a Kickstarter campaign and beyond, and now nearly four years later it's finally nearly ready, due 13th February 2018 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But being in the public eye for so long has taken its toll, and the sheen has dulled. Other role-playing games have been and gone in that time, such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and the goalposts have moved. What was once so impressive in Kingdom Come: Deliverance is now par for the course.

Czech developer Warhorse has also had to face reality and assess what can and cannot be achieved if it wants to finish a game, so flashy features like mounted combat, for instance, are out, although horse-riding remains. What we see now is the reality of what a new studio on Kickstarter money - and plenty of private investment and now a co-publisher in Deep Silver - has managed to create. No more Kickstarter dreaming of something to blow The Elder Scrolls series out of the water. This journey back down to earth came with a nasty bump recently when Warhorse received flak for ropy facial animations and voice acting in a new story trailer, embedded below.

Which is a shame. It's a shame because, in the flesh, Kingdom Come: Deliverance shows a whole side you cannot see in trailers. You can't see the game's open approach to quests, which effectively rings an area for your attention but otherwise stands back and lets you find your way through it, no magical compass pointing you this way or that. You have to listen for clues about where to go next, and if you don't, you won't find out. Kingdom Come isn't afraid of letting you get lost. It also isn't afraid to withhold information from you in conversations. If you want it, earn it - convince the person you're talking to dish up their secrets.

Taken into account in dialogue are your speech skill, your appearance, strength and "badassness", as the PR puts it. Imagine being covered in blood: that affects your badassness. Reminds me of all the conversations in Dragon Age where you're drenched in blood; in Kingdom Come, poor old Jane the peasant will have chickens if you turn up looking like that. Other skills like First Aid play into dialogue too. I spot a man's injury and offer to sort it because my First Aid skill allows it, and as a result I get the information I want.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance can afford to let you fail because there are always so many other ways to achieve a goal. I play a quest involving a massacre of horses - no, not the Grand National - and all I'm really told is 'go find out what happened'. I could achieve that through talking, cross-checking answers to expose liars, or I could simply stumble upon a broken fence and into a clandestine forest rendezvous instead. It's up to you. Your guiding principle should be your gut, your 'What would I do?' instinct.

This stand-back approach works because Kingdom Come: Deliverance is beautiful, a pleasure to explore. Show me a game with a nicer countryside and I will buy you a mead. What's more, it's historically accurate, a deeply researched recreation of the area Warhorse comes from - Prague, Czech Republic - from centuries ago. Few games have better sense of time and place, and the fastidious eye for historic detail touches everything.

The map, for example, oh the map! It is history meets whimsy, painter meets cartographer. Frumpy forests and cheerful rural villages cleanly, coherently laid out, and where even giant knights decorating the map serve a purpose, cluing you in to, say, a settlement under army control.

The menus are in general a delight and contain surprising role-playing depth within. Equipment consists of many layers in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, as it did in this period of history. There are 20 equipment slots, 20! Six for the body, four for the legs, four for the head, two for jewellery and four for weapons. Layers upon layers you can wear. And you can forget about carrying an army's worth of dead people's armour because in this game you can only carry what a human realistically can - no Hermione's magic storage bag for you.

Much has been made of the game's 'as realistic as possible' combat, underpinned by an ambitious physics system where successful hits do not swish through enemies but land with physical force, devastating them if they are not armoured in this area but glancing off them if they are. What I didn't realise was there's a whole skill tree of medieval martial arts to go with this, offering pommel strikes to multi-hit combos and more. Actual combos, naturally - actual moves from historically researched swordplay. But the skills go much wider than swords and combat, and even Speech offers its own set of perks. On and on the menus go, deeper and deeper, the suggestion being endless possibilities for the role you want your character in this game to play.

To me it's this RPG depth and beautiful world that are the stars of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but what jars my experience is the story, and the characters telling it. They arestiff and they do jitter and jank, and the faces struggle to believably say what you're hearing. Warhorse has clearly tried - there are many motion captured sequences - and that is laudable, but I wonder would the money have been better spent widening and deepening the systems and sandbox approach rather than chasing a level of animated storytelling a studio of this size was always going to struggle to reach?

Then again, I have only seen a fraction of a game with around 50 hours of play. Maybe if I'd seen the story from the beginning I'd feel differently; maybe I'll feel differently later on. Whatever the outcome, it's far from a deal breaker, because Kingdom Come: Deliverance will stand unique anyway as an RPG forged against the grain, a Kickstarter rebel. In a world of so many safe me-toos, Kingdom Come: Deliverance should not be overlooked.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah the journo hung up on convos that aren't mo-capped, as have I since I played a beta nearly 1.5 years ago and they've been saying animations etc will be added to non mo-capped convos but still no progress to be seen 4-5 months before release.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The cutscene animations are obviously mo-capped but the faces aren't. Vavra said they had the equipment but decided against it since a lot of shoots would be a pain in the ass to do with those giant gizmos on actors' heads.

Then again other studios seem to be handling it just fine. Dunno, not an expert.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I was bored at work and watched 3 hour long podcast with Vávra, where he spent 2 hours hating stuff I like (Nolan movies, Game of Thrones, Last of Us etc) and hour talking about Kingdom Come. The hating was fairly constructive so i didn't mind.

It was interesting stuff from the development, but sadly it is in czech only. He went into detail on why the advanced horse AI got cut and other stuff like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvOIbaRuP4o

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually all of his movies (apart from the Batman ones who were still good for action-super hero crap) are pretty good. Inception, Interstellar, now Dunkirk.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
chris-roberts1.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
Was that directed by the Wachowski transisters?

Afaik they directed the cutscenes for Enter the Matrix, since the cutscenes were normal liveaction stuff that took place during Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions, they directed it all at the same time.

It was pretty cool, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom