Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I still don't undestand what's the point of sidekicks.

They want to make more companions but aren't comfortable calling them "companions" if they don't have the same amount of content as other companions.

I mean, that part I do get, but it seems entirely redundant. Between full-companions and custom companions, I'm not sure what role or void the sidekicks are supposed to fill. A smarter use of resource would be to make customs fit more naturally into the game world. There's no reason not to give them some generic barks and couple of scripted interactions where custom guys interrupts the dialogue.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, that part I do get, but it seems entirely redundant. Between full-companions and custom companions, I'm not sure what role or void the sidekicks are supposed to fill. A smarter use of resource would be to make customs fit more naturally into the game world. There's no reason not to give them some generic barks and couple of scripted interactions where custom guys interrupts the dialogue.

sidekicks are basically created custom companions but with a set personality and limited dialogue options, they don't have companion quests or deep dialogue trees like full-companions. The role/void they are supposed to fill is to give the player more options to flesh out their party depending on the role of the MC, allowing for more options outside of hiring a custom, or making fun/quirky characters that the devs want to include for shits and giggles.

The reason they don't make customs fit more naturally is because no matter what they did they would end up injecting personality Yeah, barks could be really generic, but what is the point? Any interjecting in dialogue would bring something to that character that the player may not have envisioned when creating them. Unless you want those to be generic also, which would be a waste of time and effort for something unnecessary and potentially annoying.
you have custom hires and full blown companions, with sidekicks being the :balance: between the two.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure what role or void the sidekicks are supposed to fill.

In terms of whether people would actually use them - knowingly missing out on the content of the meatier companions and without the compensating factor of being able to create them from scratch? Yeah, I guess you have a point, could be they'll go largely unused, especially on people's first playthroughs. Still, better than nothing I guess? The Baldur's Gate games had many more companions than PoE did and this is a way to close the gap.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't undestand what's the point of sidekicks.

They want to make more companions but aren't comfortable calling them "companions" if they don't have the same amount of content as other companions.

It could also be a way to throw in some more screwball-type characters to play with that don't necessarily fit with the Standard Obsidian Companion Design Principles(tm), although I don't know if these sidekicks will be like that.
What principles are those?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The portraits are also photographed off a monitor screen, the colours and contrast are probably way off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I guess I mean Obsidian's companion design seems to gravitate towards more serious/down-to-earth interpretations, so maybe if they go for an intentional "sidekick" approach, they can circumvent that and create wackier concepts.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
East Asians do come redhaired yes.

In anime, sure yes.

As well as in real life.

There are red headed Mongolians, some Chinese (Hui) and also Uighurs living in China. Some Hmong people also have reddish hair.
9f2d8cf5418c50c3c61e59e7b6ddae5c--north-western-red-heads.jpg
paisdigital043.jpg

It's more common in Central Asia (uyghurs, Tajiks etc.), but still present in east Asian populations.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Real-life ginger East Asians are part-Caucasian, but this is a fantasy world so...

Not sure if that guy actually looks Asian though?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I guess I mean Obsidian's companion design seems to gravitate towards more serious/down-to-earth interpretations, so maybe if they go for an intentional "sidekick" approach, they can circumvent that and create wackier concepts.
I hope you are right. God knows they are not very good at the serious/down to earth stuff.

This dumb tendency for game directors to strive to ascend to movie director-hood and game writers to ascend to, well, actual writers...

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't think she ever looked anime, but I am keeping myself clean of anime in general.
She was very anime. She strongly reminded me of two characters in particular, Yakushi Kabuto and Lezard Valeth.
It's normal she looked anime to you, you watch anime. And it's normal she doesn't look that way to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't think she ever looked anime, but I am keeping myself clean of anime in general.
She was very anime. She strongly reminded me of two characters in particular, Yakushi Kabuto and Lezard Valeth.
It's normal she looked anime to you, you watch anime. And it's normal she doesn't look that way to me.

She's obviously not drawn in a classic anime style, but a fussy white-haired meganekko scientist elf girl is obvious bait.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
East Asians do come redhaired yes.

In anime, sure yes.

As well as in real life.

Red haired Mongolians:
(though iirc this boy might be Tajik)

2h4x9ad.jpg

big picture:
1395805690615.jpg

That kid is neither Mongolian nor Tajik, he looks Uyghur and if he is from China, he probably is.

Yeah, see my edit. Did a (too quick) google for this and came up with improperly labeled photos. The girl in the big picture is actually Tibetan. Fucking Stormfront and other sites obsessed with race, but can't fact check for shit. My edited post should have better examples.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom