Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Desu to play in short bursts

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've beaten all the levels of Sangokushi Taisen Ten, and I'm ready to move on. It's a great japanese arcade game that never took off in the west, so there's only one fairly underplayed Nintendo DS port I've been beating for the past couple of months. 12/10 would recommend anyday. A complete match lasts 99 japanese seconds tops, which is like 5 minutes.

I want a strategy/card game, or something similar, with or without progression, that I can play in short bursts while in the loo or on the tube, without fear of committing to a 1h gaming session á là Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars. Any unskippable story is unnecessary, I just need gameplay, I don't care about Rance's you-know-whats. Preferably on a console from PSP/DS below so I can emulate it on the phone.

Pokemon comes to mind, but they tend to be piss easy and full of filler random encounters and dungeons.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
without fear of committing to a 1h gaming session á là Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars
Yep, anything that is chapter based works. Look towards tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem and Soul Nomad.
That's still too slow, I'm talking 5-10 minutes per match, tops.
Make room for 30 mins a session or revel in bad games forever.
I disagree, there's a good share of short games that are quite decent. My go to is https://github.com/mehtank/androminion, which is based on a rreally good boardgame and takes those 5-10 minutes to play. Same for the game I mention in OP. I'd play Dissidia for PSP, or other fighting games if they had decent controls.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I really love SNK vs. Capcom Cardfighters Clash. There are 3 games total. The first two (for Neo Geo Pocket) are great (especially the 2nd game) and the 3rd game for DS is shit. The AI is pretty terrific for the first two games.

Otherwise the Yugi-Oh DS games are great too. The ones I recommend are-

2010 WC: Reverse of Arcadia
2008 WC

2010 has Synchro monsters and terrific AI (the AI for 2011 WC is terrible).
2008 has animated monsters which is cool as hell, as well as fun modes like tournament and team duels. Also it doesn't have Synchro monsters so it's more "classic" Yugioh.
Other than those two, Nightmare Troubadour is kind of fun too, since it's even more "classic" Yugioh and it also has the least restrictive Forbidden List. So you get to play with all the fun Forbidden cards that you don't ever get to play with otherwise (like Cyber-stein).

You can also play Urban Rivals on the phone but it's probably futile to start now. Still, you get infinite free credit to buy packs with just for playing, and the game itself is mechanically solid.

There's a ton of digital boardgames that have come out in the past few years. I definitely recommend Talisman (with all the main dlc expansions) and Twilight Struggle. Lords of Waterdeep just came out and I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Funniest part is...I've played all the SvC:CFC to the death. I had a one-hit-kill deck in at least two of them. I also played Urban Rivals for years like a decade ago, even put money on it. Yugi I never liked the rules, I found pokemon TCG to have a more consistent ruleset. They're all solid suggestions that align with what I want, so keep them coming :D

Talisman and Twilight Struggle take way too long to play just a single game in the loo or during commute.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
I guess we're stuck in the same boat then.

I'm currently playing Yugi-Oh Legacy of the Duelist. It's not as fun as WC2010 but I keep busy learning 3000+ new cards. Not sure what is unlikeable about the YGO rules, the game itself is usually balanced enough to play at a decently high level.

There's one other browser card game that I liked a lot, it was a card game rpg but all text, no graphics. I can't remember the name anymore, like Erathia, Eternia, Exodia or something. Anyway it was pretty dead the last time I signed in so it might even be gone by now, sadly. Even if it weren't, it'd be impossible to progress too far without a community as several parts can't be completed without a partner (you could make multiple accounts, but it's a pain to manage). Was looking for the name of that browser game and found your old thread instead.

I've tried pretty much everything else, including shitty games on Kongregate like Tyrant (although Tyrant wasn't so terrible, but you lose everything when they take down the servers).

Maybe this new upcoming Magic digital game will be good?

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Try Sangokushi Taisen. It's real time but very enjoyable. The character combos are just sweet to find and play. I'd suggest using a cheat to start with all cards. The game is decently balanced in a way that rarer cards don't necessarily make unbeatable decks.

I'll try to learn Yugi again.

Maybe this new upcoming Magic digital game will be good?
I skipped the Duel games, all the MTG players I know do MTG:O anyway.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The game I was thinking of earlier is Estiah.

http://www.estiah.com/

You log in twice a day and issue your actions. It doesn't matter too much if you miss a session, you can store about a week's worth of action points (dungeons refresh every 12 hours). Fun light game, interesting systems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom