Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Reapa

Doom Preacher
For all those giving negative ratings to my last post on this thread, the coincidences are too great to ignore.
maybe people don't care and/or find it weird that you would stalk someone like that.

Israfael

Arcane
15065437168570.png
Pun inside a pun (Cocked Trigger, am i rite?), game is instant incline

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Iznaliu looking for your next target? I don't think this nazi is being hired by Obsidian. :smug:

InXile could definitely use his expert talent.

The oppression my people suffer in this day and age is deplorable and unforgivable.

You aren't born a Nazi race realist.
Everyone is born a race-realist. It's so ingrained that you need to be continuously brainwashed to go against your nature. Even newborns can easily tell the difference between people of the own ethnicity and others, and even become stressed and confused when faced with members of another race. If I remember correctly, it isn't until upwards a year of age or something that children start to be able to tell individuals from another genetic in-group apart.

Sjukob

Arcane
WARNING SPOILERS
You know , I think the main reason why the game feels rushed in the end - is the story development itself . To put it shortly , the plot is too massive and epic for a 60-70 hours game . Not the lack of choices , dull writing at places , but the absent content and progression felt the worst for me . The events happen too quickly and there is little to no build up to them . The main story feels OK until the end of Driftwood where you slowly rise in power , collect allies and periodically fight voidwoken , but then you are instantly thrown into a war . You barely see factions plotting against each other , you don't see the void spreading in the world , you don't see tensions rising in society etc - these things should take time , it is not possible to throw some chaotic events into the game and claim in all seriousness that the world is in the decline , it is supposed to gradually come from bad to worse and the smoother the transition will be , the more believable it will appear to the player , that's why people say the game feels rushed , because there transition is almost non-existent .

The other thing is that there is very little development of characters in term of ... well the character . It's obvious to anyone , that the
person who lives through disasters and trials happening in the game is bound to change in some way , yet it doesn't happen , it feels especially unnatrual because of the origin characters where writers could've done a good work at showing how their views and values might change , but no it just doesn't happen . The pacing of origin stories is fucked even more than the main plot , take Red Prince for example : On the first island you meet a pair of dreams who say you to go to driftwood for further instructions , you go to driftwood find an undead shaman who tells you that you that you are the father of dragons , you gotta bang a chick that is located 100 metres away from where are you standing to make dragons , now go . The Beast - nothing happens until you reach Nameless Isle where you learn that the queen finds it hard to figure where left and left is , so others abuse her as the dumb cunt she is , yeah now go do something about it .

Considering this I think that is ONE OF the main reasons people find Fort Joy to be the best location in the game , it doesn't have the ridiculum of later chapters and the pacing is actually alright , it feels like a nice introduction to something massive , yet the only massive thing you're gonna get is a turd dropped on your head . So dispite the talk about better storytelling I believe Larian still failed.

In the end thought I don't even know why have I written this , it's a Larian game after all . I guess it felt like the biggest downside of the game to me and I wanted to share my opinion about the game I actually liked , even if it's poorly written , I'm still not that good with english . I guess I understand now that for an RPG it's beneficial to have the length of 200+ hours .

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
WARNING SPOILERS
You know , I think the main reason why the game feels rushed in the end - is the story development itself . To put it shortly , the plot is too massive and epic for a 60-70 hours game . Not the lack of choices , dull writing at places , but the absent content and progression felt the worst for me . The events happen too quickly and there is little to no build up to them . The main story feels OK until the end of Driftwood where you slowly rise in power , collect allies and periodically fight voidwoken , but then you are instantly thrown into a war . You barely see factions plotting against each other , you don't see the void spreading in the world , you don't see tensions rising in society etc - these things should take time , it is not possible to throw some chaotic events into the game and claim in all seriousness that the world is in the decline , it is supposed to gradually come from bad to worse and the smoother the transition will be , the more believable it will appear to the player , that's why people say the game feels rushed , because there transition is almost non-existent .

The other thing is that there is very little development of characters in term of ... well the character . It's obvious to anyone , that the
person who lives through disasters and trials happening in the game is bound to change in some way , yet it doesn't happen , it feels especially unnatrual because of the origin characters where writers could've done a good work at showing how their views and values might change , but no it just doesn't happen . The pacing of origin stories is fucked even more than the main plot , take Red Prince for example : On the first island you meet a pair of dreams who say you to go to driftwood for further instructions , you go to driftwood find an undead shaman who tells you that you that you are the father of dragons , you gotta bang a chick that is located 100 metres away from where are you standing to make dragons , now go . The Beast - nothing happens until you reach Nameless Isle where you learn that the queen finds it hard to figure where left and left is , so others abuse her as the dumb cunt she is , yeah now go do something about it .

Considering this I think that is ONE OF the main reasons people find Fort Joy to be the best location in the game , it doesn't have the ridiculum of later chapters and the pacing is actually alright , it feels like a nice introduction to something massive , yet the only massive thing you're gonna get is a turd dropped on your head . So dispite the talk about better storytelling I believe Larian still failed.

In the end thought I don't even know why have I written this , it's a Larian game after all . I guess it felt like the biggest downside of the game to me and I wanted to share my opinion about the game I actually liked , even if it's poorly written , I'm still not that good with english . I guess I understand now that for an RPG it's beneficial to have the length of 200+ hours .

The problem is that the first Divine Divinity had much better writing than this shit and it was actually funny at times,hell Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2 are way ahead in terms of atmosphere and writing than DoS1 and DoS2.
They keep getting worse and worse in terms of character development and writing and they don't seem to care and that's sad.

And they keep hiring these young hipsters with their shitty liberal arts and tumblr diplomas and then you get to hold hands with Ifan and let Sebille step on your balls without cutting her throat the 10th she threatens to kill you.

Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga had one of the best atmosphere in all divinity games.
Divine Divinity had the best content.

It pains me to admit it that Larian's Real Time games had better content and writing than their Turn Based games.

And the Belgian Junkies claimed that writing had improved because they hired more writers. :retarded:
As if inviting additional librul hipsters is going to improve anything.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the problem with dos2 writing (which imo is worse even than dos1) is that gaemerz are by nature retarded, so they misidentified the main problem behind dos1 texts (i.e. WORDS WORDS WORDS HERE LET ME DIALOGUE AT YOU SOME MORE WITH TOTAL BANALITY) and instead the feedback that larian got was "itz too randumb!"

so the effect is that they removed the funnies, but kept the rest, distilling it into the purest banality that all characters love to dialogue at you

and they went even further and expanded it to ONE MILLION WORDS!!!!!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You guys sure are making DivDiv sound pretty fun, but I can't quite get into it.
Yeah, I could never get into Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity at all. I guess that after coming from Diablo/2 and Baldur's Gate/2 at the time, I think it just felt.. clunky. Like something that wanted to be an action rpg but also a more serious rpg and it just sorta failed (to me) in both. Or something.

I haven't giving it a try in over a decade, so maybe I should give it another chance.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I am getting raped by Radeka. Gotta stay out of the killzone.
While one character is locked in conversation, switch to the other three and position them so that they are on higher ground and overlooking Radeka.

I've been starting the fight by skipping the dialogue and just nuking her from afar. Is there a way to avoid the disease hit from the conversation?
Not in the release version. Damned if I know why not. My wife said it was possible in the EA. I never played the EA that far.

You are better off taking the disease and then curing it with first aid or restoration (I don't remember which) in mid-combat, but having your party positioned on high ground for the bonuses to damage, and to hedge against AOE spells. Try to keep the caster fellow (the recently dead one in the white shirt) debilitated - shocked, slowed, crippled, teleported somewhere far, while you concentrate on Radeka. My strategy was to first teleport Radeka next to my 2H Knight Prince.

This worked like a charm.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

DivDiv had better music,better art,better atmosphere and I actually read the fucking dialogue once in a while.The main problem was the combat which was tolerable at best.

People keep claiming it's nostalgia or a matter of tastes but it's not,their games got worse and worse and the combat is not that great to compensate for everything else.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Cursed revenants and that whole lizard dream quest was a big double flipped FUCK YOU in my face from Swen. Debilitatingly shitty design.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the problem with dos2 writing (which imo is worse even than dos1) is that gaemerz are by nature retarded, so they misidentified the main problem behind dos1 texts (i.e. WORDS WORDS WORDS HERE LET ME DIALOGUE AT YOU SOME MORE WITH TOTAL BANALITY) and instead the feedback that larian got was "itz too randumb!"

Dude....what?

The problem with the first game AND the second game AND 95% of all RPGs is not....people "dialogueing at" people...or something.

The problem is the underappreciated fact that writing a good fantasy story is actually incredibly hard. Because you can't rely on real world, you have to actually construct an entire world from ground up and it has to be plausible and endearing and fun and alive and consistent. Even first-class professional novelists like Rothfuss, Abercrombie or Martin sometimes fail at that. So what happens when a third-rate fanfic wannabe writers in their early 20s attempt to do that? Well, the majority of RPGs' plots and writing happens.

It's usually a haphazard theme park full of elfs, dragons, gods, witches, poisonous swamps and other paraphernalia thrown together by people who have no idea what they're doing. It's like dumb students trying to cook a festive meal - buy a huge cauldron and put in everything we like. Burgers, pizza pieces, coke, whisky, jelly bears, more whisky, gatorade, yoghurt and about hundred other ingredients. Guise guise, I like fair-trade illy coffee. Yeah, put it in. Don't bother unpacking, just throw it in there with the tin can. And stir and stir aaaaand we got ourselves a game!

It's not primarily about dialogues or words or too many notes. It's about a bunch of kids with the grand total of 2 weeks of guitar training trying to write a symphony in their dad's garage.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Dude....what?

The problem with the first game AND the second game AND 95% of all RPGs is not....people "dialogueing at" people...or something.

The problem is the underappreciated fact that writing a good fantasy story is actually incredibly hard. Because you can't rely on real world, you have to actually construct an entire world from ground up and it has to be plausible and endearing and fun and alive and consistent. Even first-class professional novelists like Rothfuss, Abercrombie or Martin sometimes fail at that. So what happens when a third-rate fanfic wannabe writers in their early 20s attempt to do that? Well, the majority of RPGs' plots and writing happens.

It's usually a haphazard theme park full of elfs, dragons, gods, witches, poisonous swamps and other paraphernalia thrown together by people who have no idea what they're doing. It's like dumb students trying to cook a festive meal - buy a huge cauldron and put in everything we like. Burgers, pizza pieces, coke, whisky, jelly bears, more whisky, gatorade, yoghurt and about hundred other ingredients. Guise guise, I like fair-trade illy coffee. Yeah, put it in. Don't bother unpacking, just throw it in there with the tin can. And stir and stir aaaaand we got ourselves a game!

It's not primarily about dialogues or words or too many notes. It's about a bunch of kids with a grand total of 2 weeks of guitar training trying to write a symphony in their dad's garage.

Would brofist if I could. 100 % correcto

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Dude....what?

It's not primarily about dialogues or words or too many notes. It's about a bunch of kids with the grand total of 2 weeks of guitar training trying to write a symphony in their dad's garage.
Also, writing a novel (or in this case, fanfic) is completely different from writing for a game. Rothfuss contribution to Tides of Numenera was awful, despite the fact that Rothfuss is an accomplished writer.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Yes, this is a huge problem. Happened in DOS1 too when Zandalore (and to a lesser extent other NPCs) spammed you with monologues. I hear it was fixed in EE to make the plot more comprehensive - and it's not like the plot is complex, the main story is understandable but all the intricacies of that cult plan were all over the place. Plus the game tries to be funny all the time and it's hard to process walls of text with added jokes.

BioWare suffered from the same problem early - in KotOR/Jade Empire/NWN you often just stood there listening to people with choices like "Do go on", "So what's that about X?" (triggers the same response as the first choice) and "I should go". They got better about it in Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Obsidian too is fine, Pillars of Eternity is verbose but it feels like talkative characters, not walking infoboxes. Even Durance.

Numenera is a special kind of boring. Felt like authors were angry at me for trying to interact with the game instead of patiently reading everything.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
WARNING SPOILERS

wait, what? you finally found out the game everyone criticizes for everything it does has less depth/content than morrowind? well, duh!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom