Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Do I laugh or do I cry?

169VKeJ.png

Renevent

Cipher
Not loving Arx, and some of the battles there are pretty annoying. Worst one yet is the Lizard Embassy with those cursed revenants. I cleared out every bit of cursed fire, even the crap on the complete opposite side of the map, and yet the room that has 3 of them they keep respawning

Just sneak past the one on the balkony (invisibility is even better), lockpick the door and voila, you're in the clear. Problem solved in like 10 seconds.

I actually did that at the very end, and didn't see there was a lone revenant in the 2nd or 3rd room, got caught, and got pissed and called it quits for the night. I really wanted to kill all of them though, sneaking past them seems like a pussy thing to do. I found a staff with the Tornado skill in one of the Kremm vaults so it shouldn't be a problem tonight anyways.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I present you Ifan's writer

Now I know why Ifan suddenly wanted to shove his crossbow deep inside my turd cutter.I know we shouldn't judge people by how they look but fuck me,stop hiring these fucking weirdos

FYI Charlene is pretty cool. When we told her to make the Codex's in-game character like Miltiades from Age of Decadence, we didn't have to explain because she'd played the game extensively and knew the character.

Not sure if he actually made it in, though? It might be Grog the troll instead. We should probably ask about that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasn't she fatter? Or is this one of the strange angles fat people take "selfies" from to not look fat?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I present you Ifan's writer

Now I know why Ifan suddenly wanted to shove his crossbow deep inside my turd cutter.I know we shouldn't judge people by how they look but fuck me,stop hiring these fucking weirdos

FYI Charlene is pretty cool. When we told her to make the Codex's in-game character like Miltiades from Age of Decadence, we didn't have to explain because she'd played the game extensively and knew the character.

Not sure if he actually made it in, though? It might be Grog the troll instead. We should probably ask about that.

''Cool'' doesn't equal good writing,I had 2-3 dialogue lines out of nowhere where I could embrace Ifan or hold hands.How the fuck can you put something like that when you never pursue the so said relationship with the crossbow man.

It's shit writing and they should be fucking ashamed that things like these get in the final release.

Tigranes

Arcane
I am getting raped by Radeka. Gotta stay out of the killzone.
Stay back in the area with the mines. Her AI seems bugged and she never goes in there so you only have to fight the bugs and the zombies and you can set a chokehold on the narrow passage between the areas. At least that's how I did that fight.

Is it just me, or do the height LOS shenanigans mean you can never teleport any of them into the lava? Just seems like all the crazy shit you could do with teleport and telekinesis in DOS1, they've designed the levels to neuter a lot of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, after reviewing the conversation, I think what they may have done is created Grog the troll but gave him a Miltiades-like personality or character traits. Does he attempt to rip you off or something? If not, maybe that got cut. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I am getting raped by Radeka. Gotta stay out of the killzone.
Stay back in the area with the mines. Her AI seems bugged and she never goes in there so you only have to fight the bugs and the zombies and you can set a chokehold on the narrow passage between the areas. At least that's how I did that fight.

Is it just me, or do the height LOS shenanigans mean you can never teleport any of them into the lava? Just seems like all the crazy shit you could do with teleport and telekinesis in DOS1, they've designed the levels to neuter a lot of it.
Didn't attempt it because of the way the area is designed I never got into a position to try it but I imagine it's the same as what I complained about some 20 40 (how long have I been away?) pages back that you can't teleport enemies off the ship straight into the ocean.

Yeah it's the Invisible Wall of Teleporting Sportsmanship

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Actually, after reviewing the conversation, I think what they may have done is created Grog the troll but gave him a Miltiades-like personality or character traits. Does he attempt to rip you off or something? If not, maybe that got cut. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Afaik there are two Grogs the Trolls. One of them absolutely tries to rip you off, demanding an extortion of a fee to cross his bridge. But you can also become a hitman and kill someone for him, then he buggers off.

He either reappears in the 4th act or it's his twin or some such.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Afaik there are two Grogs the Trolls. One of them absolutely tries to rip you off, demanding an extortion of a fee to cross his bridge. But you can also become a hitman and kill someone for him, then he buggers off.

He either reappears in the 4th act or it's his twin or some such.

Here's what we decided on last year:

Okay, so basically:
1. Troll "Grog".
2. Villain/opportunist/asshole.
3. Reoccurring.
4. No obvious RPG Codex dialog references a la 'Kingcomrade'.
5. If asked about the past he should rumble about the good 'ol days.
6. It should be impossible to win an argument with him. It can only be done in the very last encounter and be difficulty. And in case you do manage to win the argument he will acknowledge his loss and then try to kill you because of that.

While I don't have knowledge about Militiades or Patches I get the general point and agree it should be a sorta scamming/lying character that it memorably irritating.

Hey there CB,

Sounds very good to me - I do indeed know both of those characters [i.e. Militiades and Patches]. I played a lot of AoD earlier this year, and DS3 is my GOTY (though I'm more into Greirat than Patches)!

I think we can work well with what you've provided and create a character that you guys will enjoy. If you've any other thoughts, ideas, or questions - do feel free to get in touch with me :)

And yeah - hope you have a great holiday time too! I'm off to our mother office in Gent tomorrow for our party, so feeling pretty festive already!

Char

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Im enjoying tactician solo-rogue, although its repetitive to one-shot enemies, then run to exit the combat, rinse and repeat. Playing solo also means i have to juggle through magic mirror all the time[sneak, persuasion, loremaster, and thievery sigh], and sometimes i have to move heavy barrels/packages across the map to solve the puzzle[sigh at the cemetery tomb...]. The dallis fight on the ship was really abysmal, until i've read how to make the charming grenade from maggots and grenade case -holy hell that thing is super OP. Cloaked and daggered on the ship mast balcony, shot water arrow, then shock arrow, on all 5 fucking stupid ai, magic armor gone and then the lovely charming grenade with 8m radius and 4 turns charming. It was a breeze, but before that i've spent a good hour to figure it out -my rogue was dying in close combat.

A Thought about the companions:

1) Beast: Dwarves are cool, but his back-story "NATIONAL UNITY = BAD" sound sliek shitty propaganda to me. No Go.
2) Ifan: least Obnoxious of the lot. But a Filthy Arab. Remember, Arabs as a whole are the biggest lying backstabbers you can have the misfortune of interacting with. No Go.
3) Sebile: irritating Edgelord. No Go.
4) Lohse: Sexy voice. Sexy Voice actress. Entertainer possessed by a demon; hints at something interesting.
5) Red Prince: Pompous and Edgy; but has a snobby :obviously: vibe.
6) Fane: He keeps jizzing all voer himself. all the time. No go.

The only acceptable companions are the one who is possessed by a demon, or the one who looks like a demon.

LARIAN AND SWEN ARE CLEARLY SATANIC LIBERALS.

:shunthenonbeliever:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spoilery, but:
Grog guards a bridge and when you meet him asks for an absurd amount of money to pass (5k). No one is stupid enough to pay that. You manage to get a quest out of him. Go kill Marg at his bridge. Go back to Grog and turn in the quest. After that, go back to Marg's bridge, and Grog will be there. He will ask (15k) out of you. Kill Grog, get cool stuff, but feel an emptiness in your heart. My own creation betrayed me

Reapa

Doom Preacher
what the fuck are you people talking about? world of warcraft let 10 million people run around the map independently. what does that achieve?
You might not like it or you might not care for it, that's fine, but the fact that it manages to do it without the entire game just sorta breaking down is actually really fucking impressive, and nobody has really done anything like it before, to the best of my knowledge. It's an actual RPG environment where each character can actually act independently. Comparing it to MMO:s or ARPG:s is bullshit, because they work entirely differently, and are completely constrained by the preset set-pieces.

I liked D:OS1 better, because D:OS2 seems to be going for some kind of competitive co-op or something, and it feels like the system had some considerations for PvP or something, almost like it's balanced around it (or at least partially), and I just happen to prefer full co-op - I loved the arguments and such in D:OS1 and the mild conflicts you could have as player characters, or how both could often participate in a single conversation - I think all of that was top notch and really added to the game, whereas in D:OS2 one seems to always be a passive observer (which, if you really want to play together, and not run around willy-nilly, is meh).

But is it an achievement? Yeah, it is. It might not be my cup of tea, but it's pretty damn impressive. If MMO:s were like this, they wouldn't be half as shit (but they'd also be a complete mess because of the sheer number of players being retarded all at once).
TIL act 4 is just pretty bugged in this game. NPCs like Jahan literally don't appear, and the area has actual issues. Feels super unfinished and none of the reviews picked up on that fact because nobody got that far in Divinity before filing copy.
Yeah, it's painfully obvious that none of the journos actually played very far before phoning it in. I don't think Larian does this, but games seem to be increasingly front-loaded in order to skew review scores, because developers know that out of the few journos that actually play the games, most don't play more than a couple of hours right at the beginning.

I'm pretty sure tons of journos just read some other journos review and apes it, which is why we see these hyperbolic chain reactions that lack all reason and criticizes nothing.

Like jesus christ, I really like the game too, but fucking 10/10? No issues? Fucking hell.
so what you mean is that it's an achievement for a game to cut content for one guy if the other guy solved a quest, killed a quest giver, bought the best ring a merchant had to sell...
i often fantasized about wow doing something like that. a more plastic world instead of that static crap but a game would need a hella lot of content to make up for the content lost to competition. if you play the game with just one other guy, you get half a game. with 2 a third, with 3 a fourth. yeah, no thanks, i like my single player games whole.

you could make it work with well done procedurally generated content. in a game like malevolence ( https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24871.0 ) with an infinite world system. you would probably still feel like you're losing out on game content but with it being infinite you wouldn't.

i really don't see the achievement.

playing double lone wolf i often happen to start a conversation with the one that doesn't have persuasion so i end up killing a potential "more-content-gate-keeper" by failing a conversation check. sometimes i reload just to realize there was no more content, just some stupid ass conversation check for the illusion of c&c. yeah, the npc doesn't die if you convince him not to attack you, but he also doesn't do anything interesting if you let him live. so what happens when you co-op with someone that kills the npc or lets him live? fucking nothing. it's just like badly done procedurally generated content that has absolutely no fucking tie to anything else that happens in the game.

do you know what happens if you genocide any place in the game? fucking nothing. except you eventually run out of merchants. arcanum would mark you as a bad dude. you kill everyone or most people in shrouded hills, you get a trait as the butcher of shrouded hills or something. people in other locations hear of you having butchered the people of shrouded hills!
you can kill all the magisters in fort joy and driftwood while the other people will not join the fight, will not be mad at you and will not be happy you killed the magisters. they just don't care at all. it's like you didn't do anything. there is not one fucking reaction at all.

the only achievement i see is making gullible people like you think they achieved something. when they actually shipped a game with radiant quests that don't repeat.

EDIT: and what the fuck do you mean the game doesn't break? it doesn't crash to desktop? because it fucking breaks even in single player even in the fucking tutorial for fucks sake. if you start a fight on the ship and your companions get killed, the are alive again at fort joy. if that's not broken, what the fuck is?

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Sure there is also the guy with the Arcanum avatar going on incessantly about the supposed systemic failures of this game. The irony! :lol:
I can go ahead and shit on Arcanum for a week, if that makes you happy, it's just that it's about 16 years too late, you muppet. Arcanum was an amazing, amazing game, but it was broken in so many more ways than D:OS2 is, even if Arcanum more than made up for it as a whole in other parts.

And in case you missed it - and you likely did, seeing as how you're a cum-guzzling fuckwit - I actually like D:OS2.

That's why I'm criticizing it. If I wanted to do was nitpick and bitch, I could've just done that and been done with it, but that has never resulted in a better game in the history of game development. While intentionally harsh, and harsher on the worse points, all of the criticism was constructive when even remotely possible - the only one where I have no answers or suggestions is on the Attributes, because I simply have no idea how to resolve it without relevant subsystems. It also wasn't like most of this criticism wasn't already pre-existing; I merely compiled it.
Sure, some things need improvement and a couple of bugs need to be fixed but out of the gate it's maybe the most complete rpg experience since BG2 and less flawed at release than most Codex classics from yesteryear.
Frankly it's a miracle the game works as well as it does. Baldur's Gate and NWN had restrictions placed on multiplayer to keep them from turning into a logistical nightmare, but DOS2 lets up to four human players run roughshod around the map independently. I'm only just starting to understand how ambitious that is. It's a topic that'll keep the journalists busy for years.
The journalists won't even care in 6 months. They don't even understand what a massive fucking achievement that is.
I can absolutely see why people would have many complaints about the game.

Mine are still armor system is not my cup of tea and the way enemies that are above your level can sometimes destroy you no matter what. The way stats go up and how you need to buy equipment (not that I dislike getting new equipment, the scaling is broken) that scales is a bit broken. Animations in combat are slow, but that is a complaint I had in the first game.

The thing for me is: I'm having fun. It has solid content coupled with some not so solid content. I'm happy the game is getting positive reviews. We need more of these types of games (turn-based rpgs), and despite some flaws, I am finding the game to be enjoyable.
Yeah, I really should've addressed the scaling and the numbers bloat, but for some reason, it completely slipped my mind. In my defense, it was all written in two (-ish) sittings spread over 4 days or something.

The scaling really is grotesque.
what the fuck are you people talking about? world of warcraft let 10 million people run around the map independently. what does that achieve?
Are you... asking the difference between RPG multiplayer and MMORPGs, on an RPG forum?
what makes you think this is an RPG and not an MMORPG? what makes you think this is an RPG forum? what makes me think you have the capacity to think?
if you're gonna make such wild claims, please back them with something.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Also, I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Pet Pal. Now, I think it's a bad talent for several reasons, because it's the only one that gates content like that, and I consider it almost essential - way, way, way more essential than in D:OS1, where the effects were much less pronounced - but the content itself is awesome.

I'm genuinely, authentically baffled by this. Seriously.

Essential? My memory is pretty fresh and I don't remember ANYTHING essential about Pet Pal. Vast majority of animal dialogues is pure fluff. Sometimes you get a nugget of information about where to find what but it's usually superfluous if you explore reasonably thoroughly. You can get some pet summons (a cat and the condor I think) which are pretty useless unless you have high Summoning. And if you have high Summoning you always want to summon the Boner Widow anyway since you can't have more than one summon per character.

Plus the writing and voices are terrible, unless you straight up enjoy chipmunk chirping or an occasional actress trying to voice a turtle with bad female barytone.

Anyway name me a few animal quests that are essential or awesome in your opinion and we can discuss it in depth in the time honoured Codex tradition.
you get the cat without pet pal. it just follows you everywhere and if you manage to escape the fort without letting people kill the cat you get the skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom