Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Love it when piratefags make drama over a company defending their work.

rpgdude19 keep crying bitch nigga. Pirate away if you wish but don't cry foul when Atlus (rightly) takes away your toys.
Emulators aren't illegal and atlus doesn't own any rpcs3 code.
Just look at bleem case.
They have no case here whatsoever considering you can dump your ps3 games legally.
Also they should be more worried about ps3 piracy which is easier to do then set up this emulator to work properly with persona 5.

Emulators aren't illegal in the same way that torrent programs aren't illegal, but any idiot can connect the dots that a person using an emu/torrent is most likely doing something that is illegal with it. In this case it's using illegal roms. This is probably some stupid lawyer at Atlus (or Sega) who thought they were smart by attacking the root of the problem, i.e the emulator itself, which isn't illegal as you said. I support their sentiment but not the way they are going about it in this case. At the end of the day the only people who are actually affected by this, and crying about it, are people who are playing illegally downloaded roms. Paying customers never had a problem. This is just another case in a long list of cases where Piratefags get butthurt as soon as someone tries to take away their "free" toys.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

rpgdude19 keep crying bitch nigga. Pirate away if you wish but don't cry foul when Atlus (rightly) takes away your toys.
Just look at bleem case.
They have no case here whatsoever considering you can dump your ps3 games legally.
Also they should be more worried about ps3 piracy which is easier to do then set up this emulator to work properly with persona 5.

Emulators aren't illegal in the same way that torrent programs aren't illegal, but any idiot can connect the dots that a person using an emu/torrent is most likely doing something that is illegal with it. In this case it's using illegal roms. This is probably some stupid lawyer at Atlus (or Sega) who thought they were smart by attacking the root of the problem, i.e the emulator itself, which isn't illegal as you said. I support their sentiment but not the way they are going about it in this case. At the end of the day the only people who are actually affected by this, and crying about it, are people who are playing illegally downloaded roms. Paying customers never had a problem. This is just another case in a long list of cases where Piratefags get butthurt as soon as someone tries to take away their "free" toys.

The only people actually affected by this are the developers of the emulator, whose source code is public and GPL licensed, so taking it down wouldn't accomplish much even if someone found a way to do such a thing.

That aside, bro, I am genuinely disappointed to see this bullshit on the Codex. So here's a large company trying to bully hobbyists using draconian copyright law, which isn't even applicable in this case, which they are perfectly aware of. This isn't someone making a mistake or being overzealous, they knew perfectly well they had no legal leg to stand on, and went with the DMCA complaint anyway, hoping that Patreon could be intimidated into taking the page down regardless. Mafia tactics in white gloves, essentially.

And what do you have to say about it? "I support their sentiment"? If you enjoy having corporate cock shoved up your rectum so much, kindly fuck off to NeoGAF where you will find yourself at home amongst all the other bootlickers.

I mean, I'm normally a very liberal person when it comes to separating creators from their works, but right now I honestly feel dirty for having bought P5 and given Atlus money in the process. Not happening again, that's for fucking certain.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Just look at bleem case.

The only people actually affected by this are the developers of the emulator, whose source code is public and GPL licensed, so taking it down wouldn't accomplish much even if someone found a way to do such a thing.

That aside, bro, I am genuinely disappointed to see this bullshit on the Codex. So here's a large company trying to bully hobbyists using draconian copyright law, which isn't even applicable in this case, which they are perfectly aware of. This isn't someone making a mistake or being overzealous, they knew perfectly well they had no legal leg to stand on, and went with the DMCA complaint anyway, hoping that Patreon could be intimidated into taking the page down regardless. Mafia tactics in white gloves, essentially.

And what do you have to say about it? "I support their sentiment"? If you enjoy having corporate cock shoved up your rectum so much, kindly fuck off to NeoGAF where you will find yourself at home amongst all the other bootlickers.

I mean, I'm normally a very liberal person when it comes to separating creators from their works, but right now I honestly feel dirty for having bought P5 and given Atlus money in the process. Not happening again, that's for fucking certain.

Boo hoo. What I said still stands. Sucks for the "hobbyists", and I hate to be that guy, but they could've made something else instead as a "hobby". Anyone who is going to make an emulator does so fully well knowing that the people who will use it will use it for illegal purposes.

Yeah, I support the sentiment of the company trying to protect its own assets from being freely used by people who have no intention of paying for it. Because that's well within their rights, whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not. Also, get over yourself. You're not a freedom fighter crusading against "the man" and trying to bring down "corporate injustice" by enjoying stolen entertainment. I am amused when piratefags get completely hysteric when a company does finally crack down on them. It's the same bullshit defense always as well. "But emulators aren't illegal". Yeah, no shit. But now show me a person who is using an emulator to emulate physical copy he bought. Fucking zero.
And in conclusion, I think you might fit better in with the NeoGAF crowd. It's a place known for people who can't handle the fact that they are surrounded by people with differing opinions. Seems like you need some of that right now because you're "disappointed" that a person from the internet who posts on the same discussion forum as you has a different attitude toward thieves, to the point where you're getting emotional over it, instead of just being civil.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Damn the people making complicated software for free use.
Text editors,anything related to moving files,operating system etc are all scumbags because their software can be used for illegal activities.
Wait just a moment a forum can be also be used for illegal activities,well the feds better shut down this degenerate website as well.

Any piece of software can be used illegally and emulators are designed to preserve hardware virtually (and their games) when the original consoles are long gone or are being discontinued.
Or if you want to play games(legally or illegally obtained) with batter features.
The ps3 emulator is also useless without individual cracks for games considering it just uses the ps3 firmware which won't allow you to play the games without cracks so ironically this emulator is the most corporate friendly compared to something like the snes/ps2 which require no fixes whatsoever.
Also good luck buying modern e-shop games and dlc in the future.
Scot pilgrim e-shop game,gone entirely and only available through rom sites.
Dlc will follow suit in a couple of years and the only way to obtain them will be trough rom sites.

And you know what, companies are gonna use those rom sites to repackage dlc into remasters.Nintendo is using roms from those website in their virtual console or e-shop stuff.
I guarantee they don't have any original source code lying around and remastering from scratch is too much of a hassle for them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You're delusional if you think people making emulators is equivalent to people making text editors :lol:

Wait just a moment a forum can be also be used for illegal activities

Yeah, you could, but for the most part people aren't making forums to coordinate illegal activities. Emulators are an absolutely different case, however. No one is using emulators so they can boot their legally bought game discs on a computer, which is the only argument you can make when saying that that they are legal. It's assumed 100% of the time that a person using an emu is using illegally downloaded game files. There are no confusions in these cases.

I thought Atlus was smart enough to realize the pointlessness of the crusade against piracy, particularly now that they're selling digital copies instead of printing like 500 CDs for the entire world. Nigga, if you're starving just release the fucking thing on PC later on and get a license to print money. Doesn't even have to be a good port, there's bound to be a fan who will fix it for you.

427.gif

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Just look at bleem case.

Boo hoo. What I said still stands. Sucks for the "hobbyists", and I hate to be that guy, but they could've made something else instead as a "hobby". Anyone who is going to make an emulator does so fully well knowing that the people who will use it will use it for illegal purposes.

Yeah, I support the sentiment of the company trying to protect its own assets from being freely used by people who have no intention of paying for it. Because that's well within their rights, whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not. Also, get over yourself. You're not a freedom fighter crusading against "the man" and trying to bring down "corporate injustice" by enjoying stolen entertainment. I am amused when piratefags get completely hysteric when a company does finally crack down on them. It's the same bullshit defense always as well. "But emulators aren't illegal". Yeah, no shit. But now show me a person who is using an emulator to emulate physical copy he bought. Fucking zero.
And in conclusion, I think you might fit better in with the NeoGAF crowd. It's a place known for people who can't handle the fact that they are surrounded by people with differing opinions. Seems like you need some of that right now because you're "disappointed" that a person from the internet who posts on the same discussion forum as you has a different attitude toward thieves, to the point where you're getting emotional over it, instead of just being civil.

I literally wouldn't give a shit if all pirated content disappeared from the Internet tomorrow. I do think that in most cases this wouldn't actually improve the bottom line of content creators at all, but I definitely don't see piracy as some glorious crusade against "the man", as you say. That is nothing but a strawman you've built to dodge the key issue here.

What is really at stake, not in this specific case, because whether a particular emulator made by two people succeeds or fails is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but for the precedent it would create if Patreon folded, is the ability of large companies to literally do whatever they want using the DMCA. The claim was bogus, they knew it, everyone knew it. "Boo hoo", you say? What if the Codex disappears tomorrow because some asshole at Bethesda decides to do the same? What if a security researcher can't publish the results of his research because the company whose software he was auditing threatens legal action using the same principle? (just for your benefit, this last one already happened many times in the past)

And yet, here you are, supporting this move, and all for what? So you can deny some pirates free shit? So you can act smug on a forum and accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being pirates? I literally don't get it. You're not some kid with no understanding of modern copyright law, supporting your favourite company in a knee-jerk reaction, or at least I don't think you are.

There is much, much more at stake here than stupid videogame piracy.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Just look at bleem case.

I literally wouldn't give a shit if all pirated content disappeared from the Internet tomorrow. I do think that in most cases this wouldn't actually improve the bottom line of content creators at all, but I definitely don't see piracy as some glorious crusade against "the man", as you say. That is nothing but a strawman you've built to dodge the key issue here.

What is really at stake, not in this specific case, because whether a particular emulator made by two people succeeds or fails is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but for the precedent it would create if Patreon folded, is the ability of large companies to literally do whatever they want using the DMCA. The claim was bogus, they knew it, everyone knew it. "Boo hoo", you say? What if the Codex disappears tomorrow because some asshole at Bethesda decides to do the same? What if a security researcher can't publish the results of his research because the company whose software he was auditing threatens legal action using the same principle? (just for your benefit, this last one already happened many times in the past)

And yet, here you are, supporting this move, and all for what? So you can deny some pirates free shit? So you can act smug on a forum and accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being pirates? I literally don't get it. You're not some kid with no understanding of modern copyright law, supporting your favourite company in a knee-jerk reaction, or at least I don't think you are.

There is much, much more at stake here than stupid videogame piracy.

I already said that I don't support Atlus (is it Atlus or Sega?) coming down on the emu devs. Yeah, emulators are always used for illegal practices, but they are still protected since they themselves aren't illegal. That said, the devs shouldn't be *too* surprised if they are put under fire since they are operating at the threshold of legality.
I said I support a company that wishes to defend its products, which this situation kinda is, despite being a severely misguided attempt at doing so, probably due to some dumbo lawyer who wasn't completely clear on which part of emulation was illegal and they decided to fire regardless. Anyway I think Patreon told Atlus (Sega?) to fuck off since there's nothing wrong being done here and so that should be the end of that dispute.

Nathir

Liturgist
As if a kid in some slav country emulating this game will ever buy a Playstation to play it. But hey, atleast he can play it and potentially stay interested in the company through the years. Thinking everyone who pirates is ''stealing'' is terrible logic. If all emulators were to dissapear tomorrow you think Atlus would be bathing in money from all the people who would now be buying their games? Very doubtful. There was a study recently which concluded piracy actually boosts video game sales. And in my not so humble opinion, this is especially true for a company like Atlus. With almost no PC games and no steam presence. Heck, the majority of their games is probably played by people on emulators, especially older ones. And what if Atlus shuts down rpcs3 and every emulator in existence? Since their games will never get a PC release apparently, 20 years from now on when your PS is broke you will wish you had an emulator for all of these old games available. Not to mention that Atlus has no legal ground to stand on. And the fact that you can pirate the game on a PS anyway. Should we shutdown that too? Pirates will always find a way. This is just Atlus making a fool out of themselves for no reason other than their management being a bunch of old japs stuck in the 90's, who have no idea how anything works.

Hyperion

Arcane
Not sure why Atlus is so hesitant for a PC release anyway. Can you imagine their sales when the weebs find out there's a nude mod on Day 1?

Cha-ching nigga.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW, Atlus traditionally was, and still largely is, wary of multi-platform development. (This was true to other Japanese developers to some extent, but you see now how Steam is flooded with Japanese games.) You know that their IPs are mostly tied to certain platforms.

- Their games were mostly made for Japanese game market, which means they have to choose between Playstaion and/or Nintendo.

- Exclusives (probably without an explicit deal) likely could get more support from the platform holders. Sony/Nintendo helped publishing and localization of their games in non-NA/EU regions. (Apparently now SEGA takes care of it, so less dependent on the console holders.)

- Related to that and probably most important factor: they were short on budget before it was acquired by SEGA, suffered by their previous parent company Index's incompetence and (alleged?) corruptions. Multi-platform development probably was a luxury for them.

But Now SEGA owns and funds them, and SEGA wants its IPs (including Atlus) to be on multiple platforms including PC, I think PC releases are more likely than ever. Still they need time to adapt I guess.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I don't really understand the point of what Atlas is doing. Doesn't seem like a lot to gain from this and plenty to lose by pissing people off. This wouldn't be a big deal if they hadn't already done that dumbass "no streaming" BS.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't really understand the point of what Atlas is doing. Doesn't seem like a lot to gain from this and plenty to lose by pissing people off. This wouldn't be a big deal if they hadn't already done that dumbass "no streaming" BS.

The no streaming was to limit spoilers since all previous Persona games got spoiled to hell and back and western fans kept complaining about it. They even limited the PS4's screen capture function during important story scenes.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Piracy is and has always been good for game preservation. The reason why it was so rampant on PC before because it was fucking inconvenient to get games.

Atlus is not losing sales due to emulation, because a) most people don't really emulate jackshit and b) most PC users prolly don't even have the hardware to run the game.

It's just retarded bullshit. But hey, shills gonna shill.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

The no streaming was to limit spoilers since all previous Persona games got spoiled to hell and back and western fans kept complaining about it. They even limited the PS4's screen capture function during important story scenes.

If that's the real reason, then limiting streaming makes no sense. Screenshots, sure, you can actually use those to spoil people, though you can do that with good old fashioned text just as well. But streams? Why would you watch one if you don't want spoilers?

I can believe this is what they actually think, though. You can tell while playing the game just how proud they are of the interrogation and Igor plot twists. So, rather than trying to protect fans from spoilers, it's more like they're stroking their own egos with these restrictions.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

If that's the real reason, then limiting streaming makes no sense. Screenshots, sure, you can actually use those to spoil people, though you can do that with good old fashioned text just as well. But streams? Why would you watch one if you don't want spoilers?

I can believe this is what they actually think, though. You can tell while playing the game just how proud they are of the interrogation and Igor plot twists. So, rather than trying to protect fans from spoilers, it's more like they're stroking their own egos with these restrictions.

Yeah, well. They could've avoided all this shit if they had just done a world wide release instead of make us wait a a long time after the JP release. Yeah, they wanted to restrict spoilers, but big fat fucking good that did anyway since people could play the JP version and still spoil it for others, as they did.

GarlandExCon

Arcane

If you don't want to get spoiled, don't watch the stream. If you're dumb enough to not know watching streams of someone playing games will spoil the game for you, than that's your own fault. It really bothers me that I buy a game and then they tell me I can't stream myself playing it or even use the screen capture function on my PS4. I paid for it, game and system, I should be able to use it as I damn well please.

In the end, all they did was piss a bunch of people off and every screen shot taken was still done with a phone.

I mean, this shit came out in Japan months before and spoilers were all over the Internet. I just didn't look at them.

Vorark

Erudite
Atlus have been going downhill since they were originally bought by Index. That's when they started milking Persona 4 and porting DS games to the 3DS. I naively thought Sega would be an improvement but I'm not so sure now. It is silly what they are doing, won't gain any kind of goodwill with such practices.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Even Atlus knows they don't have rights to stop the emulator itself.

Just wonder why they even bothered about it. Like flyingjohn said, there are already PS3 piracy. Is this just another case of the ridiculously heavy-handed copyright strikes from Japanese companies (see also: Nintendo)? Or do they want PC players to wait their official PC version (to be released in 2040)?
Some Japanese companies view copyright as something that allows companies to get profit, and sees western people as a target for grabbing money from them, and hidding behind copyright law, which is something these weird non Japanese people made, and Japanese companies could use to grab money from them.

When some of western game developers are viewing game as an art, not just a method of money grab, it's typically not case for some Japanese companies.

But, considering Atlus didn't have a past of company which abuses theirs fans, I suspect it happened at a pressure of some parent company, or new management. Considering SEGA's bad practices in WH2, can't SEGA have hands in this case as well?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So. New Game Plus. Hard or Merciless ? The XP malus seems retarded. On another hand, it's probably too easy on hard, no ?

Hyperion

Arcane
I switched to Hard around Futaba's Mansion because the game was just too damn easy. Some of the later boss fights were a bit annoying, but nothing outrageous. If you created the best personas, you'll be able to summon, then electric chair them almost immediately for all of the best gear early, and completely trivialize Hard. Problem with Merciless is the entire team is pretty much worthless except for Joker, because only he gets enough HP to survive if you lift + buy Protein.

Jinn

Arcane
I got my ass beat a number of times on Hard, but everything seemed pretty surmountable in one way or another. A lot of times it was just a matter of going and fusing the right persona to deal with the battle in question.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I got my ass beat a number of times on Hard, but everything seemed pretty surmountable in one way or another. A lot of times it was just a matter of going and fusing the right persona to deal with the battle in question.

But did you it in New Game Plus?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom