Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

I think you can create a Gestalt Consciousness machine empire that isn't necessarily by definition an Exterminator, Assimilator or Servitor, by simply not selecting the proper corresponding Traits during Empire Creation.
That's correct, this is what I based my last post on. I think it works really well overall, far better than the three special governments.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
From devs on upcoming exterminators and assimilators changes:
- Successfully assimilating a Pop as a Driven Assimilator now generates one month's worth of Unity and Society Research
- Driven Assimilators can now allow Cyborgs to procreate (they do not need food to grow)
- Assimilators can now research most Genetics techs
- Driven Assimilators can now derive Assault and Defense Armies from Cyborg Pops
- Pops are now assimilated much faster, on a per-planet basis rather than per-species basis

Mortmal

Arcane
- Successfully assimilating a Pop as a Driven Assimilator now generates one month's worth of Unity and Society Research
- Driven Assimilators can now allow Cyborgs to procreate (they do not need food to grow)
- Driven Assimilators can now derive Assault and Defense Armies from Cyborg Pops
- Pops are now assimilated much faster, on a per-planet basis rather than per-species basis

Everything was quit obvious after a day of playing the DLC, that should have been in day one, once again very little playtesting from paradox .

Mortmal

Arcane
I think you can create a Gestalt Consciousness machine empire that isn't necessarily by definition an Exterminator, Assimilator or Servitor, by simply not selecting the proper corresponding Traits during Empire Creation.
That's correct, this is what I based my last post on. I think it works really well overall, far better than the three special governments.

It will as you can use diplomacy, the easiest way to win in stellaris is to friendship your way through all the galaxy.Assimilator and exterminators cant, rogue servitor have a lesser malus to diplo but it matters a bit .

Everything was quit obvious after a day of playing the DLC, that should have been in day one, once again very little playtesting from paradox .

The problem with Assimilators was apparent after 30s of starting a game with them. Paradox clearly gave zero shits about testing.

Mortmal

Arcane

The problem with Assimilators was apparent after 30s of starting a game with them. Paradox clearly gave zero shits about testing.
Thats true, first thing i did was creating a strong cyborg sub race to harvest minerals, then not evne 30 sec int he game i found they cant reproduce therefore i had to restart and made instead the 4 cyborgs highly intelligent and use for research. Then after a few conquest you immediately see theres no real reason to take that civic at all. Slavers with a strong subspecies can do a lot better.
Its only 9.99 euros this time but theres complete indie games at this price. Also it doesnt even include machine only ships and city, 4 sprites and 2 gifs backgrounds is obviously far too much to ask for. Theree's modders doing more for free.

Its only 9.99 euros this time but theres complete indie games at this price. Also it doesnt even include machine only ships and city, 4 sprites and 2 gifs backgrounds is obviously far too much to ask for. Theree's modders doing more for free.

Yeah, the lack of actual content (in terms of art assets) was amazing. Was the guy in charge of ship models sick for half a year? There's a few portraits and that's it besides the icons for random crap.

Mortmal

Arcane

Yeah, the lack of actual content (in terms of art assets) was amazing. Was the guy in charge of ship models sick for half a year? There's a few portraits and that's it besides the icons for random crap.
Hmm maybe.. they dont even charge for it this time i should ask on official forum.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So is it gud now or needs 2 years more ?
Imho it's at a crossroads between 4X and grand strategy. The game is way too slow and yet, there isn't really a way to skip the early game. They should add prefilled maps that will allow a more grand strategy gameplay.
Can't you start as a "Fallen Empire" now with this DLC? I guess that kind of addresses this issue?

Last edited:
It's never going to be "great" until the pop system and tile management get hurled into a fire and replaced with what Vic2 had. I still think it's better than basically every other modern (like, post 2010) sci-fi 4x, though. It's at least got variety even if it's meaningless, all of the others are literally just Civ 5 at their best and Civ 5 with some dumb combat system that makes you draw cards (wtf) at their worst.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
As much as I love Vicky 2, there are some things about it that I don't wish to see again in their original form. One of those is soldier pops. The regiment building system is made into too much of a hassle because it's tied to provinces and states rather than a single pool, and it'd still be preferable to do away with regiments entirely in favor of a mobilization based system. Another thing would be reducing the number of obfuscated factors affecting pops or reworking them to a more functional and apparent form, like the mysterious ways in which RGO employment and general wages work.

But anyway yea having pops in Stellaris actually represent something numerically would be nice, even if it wouldn't do anything besides make up some number based on number of pops. Tile management needs to have something done about it tho, so you don't pull out your hair when the sector AI fucks up.

Tile management doesn't even make sense. Sixteen tiles on the entire Earth? It's completely out of place for the scale of the universe.

Any more would just be micromanagement hell. I mean the newly added Machine races are already hell since you have to keep robots building on all of your planets in addition to building buildings when they are done. In an MP where people wouldn't want you pausing I'd bet its unplayable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tile management doesn't even make sense. Sixteen tiles on the entire Earth? It's completely out of place for the scale of the universe.
Yeah i would love to see a real star/si-fi game.Something like Aurora with some AAA visuals and UI,and little bit streamlining will be the best si-fi strategy game ever.

Mortmal

Arcane

Any more would just be micromanagement hell. I mean the newly added Machine races are already hell since you have to keep robots building on all of your planets in addition to building buildings when they are done. In an MP where people wouldn't want you pausing I'd bet its unplayable.
Would be absolutely hell to do that in mp without pause.Sins of a solar empire is a lot better for that.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Not necessarily asking for more micromanagement. Just better abstraction. Economic philosophies, etc. The tiles abstract in a completely unrealistic way.

I don't even know what a tile and a pop actually represents. Billions of people? But then you're telling me my colonies start with billions people on them after 3 points in expansion? It's too abstract. Needs to be replaced with vicky2's system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom