Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones backer demo released, coming late 2018

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cultic Games; Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

You might remember Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, the impressive-looking Lovecraftian turn-based by Cultic Games that was successfully Kickstarted last June. We haven't reported about since then, but development of the game has progressed at a steady pace, with meaty bi-monthly Kickstarter updates. By last month, it'd apparently come far enough that the developers were able to commit to a release date at the end of 2018. That announcement has been followed up with the release of a backer demo yesterday. The demo is very much a private affair and there are no fancy trailers to show, so I thought I'd share a couple of videos from Stygian's past updates instead. Specifically, from last month's update about the game's character creation and January's update about its inventory system.

Our users who have played it report that the backer demo is surprisingly good, with impressive production values, a convincing Lovecraftian atmosphere and novel use of RPG mechanics, although it might have a bit too much combat. You can read their impressions here. Maybe we should start paying more attention to this game. If you didn't back Stygian when it was on Kickstarter, it's available for preorder on Cultic's website.

Farewell into the night

Nice art, clean and solid. I checked the trailer of the gampelay video and I don't quite really like how it looks in work, but I'll 100% play the game. It appears interesting to me.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ok, this looks interesting. Quite good so far in fact. Not sure how it will play out, and I'm not for backing kickstarters and such. But if it comes out, I'll get it.

Jinn

Arcane
The demo is indeed quite good for those who are intrigued. Feel very good about backing these guys.

Prime Junta

Yeah this one was a positive surprise. I occasionally back off-the-wall slightly weird indie projects and normally don't expect all that much from them, but this one is shaping up really nicely -- easily the most genuinely Cthulhoid computer game I've played, just oozing with atmosphere, and the gameplay is pretty solid too.

Plus it encourages all kinds of depravity in properly Lovecraftian fashion. Your healing potion is a nice little intravenous opiate fix for example.

Vladimuar

Savant
I will definitely play this game. Creepy Jack the Ripper style of Academic Archetype fits me well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom