Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I am cautiously hyped as well, but let's not forget we've heard all these same arguments after the first game was funded. Ya know, "crowdfunding will unleash the incline from publisher shakcles", "it's all up to Obsidian now, no excuses", "the team is packed with legendary designers" and all that noise.

I think PoE II is, at the very very least, going to be the "Baldur's Gate II" of the PoE franchise.

The first one was liked, but had a lot of criticisms, and people wanted improvement. PoE II seems to be bringing improvement in even more ways than BGII did to BG1.

That being said, if this means that Obsidian is going the Bioware route I'll quickly hang myself.
How quickly?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am cautiously hyped as well, but let's not forget we've heard all these same arguments after the first game was funded. Ya know, "crowdfunding will unleash the incline from publisher shakcles", "it's all up to Obsidian now, no excuses", "the team is packed with legendary designers" and all that noise.

I think the initial crowdfunding hype was due to inexperience with it. It turned out you need more money to make what everyone was promising, so the end result was meh across the board. I think only Larian managed to squeeze the most out of that money, not that D:OS was perfect, but it was the least shaky one. Here is where it gets interesting, though, if people in general were as disappointed in PoE as the Codex then there wouldn't have been a PoE2, so the mass lack of, let's say, refined taste was the thing which not only made (the chance of) incline possible, but also saved Obsidian from going under altogether. Their commitment to make the most out of PoE after it released is also a very surprising and welcome move by them, that's another reason I think PoE2 has a chance to be incline.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Oh, definitely, the question is how much and for what we'll be pissed. If it's only the shitty writing, then whatever, but if it's level design, encounter design, difficulty, writing, the combat system in general, constant wasted potential, bloated overproduction (aka Larian syndrome) and everything else under the sun, then it's not whatever :p

Lacrymas

Arcane
While it didn't "flop hard", Paradox admitted it didn't do as well as they had expected. What that means we can only speculate. It did get an "expansion", though, so it probably made a profit that warrants and justifies it.

Rev

Arcane
I dont know why some people still keep thinking that "Tyranny flopped hard". This is just retarded.
Maybe it's because of the interviews in which Paradox (and maybe even Obsidian) said things like "we all expected it would sell better" and stuff like that. :M

Flou

Arbiter
Maybe it's because of the interviews in which Paradox (and maybe even Obsidian) said things like "we all expected it would sell better" and stuff like that. :M

It doesn't mean it's a flop though. A flop is either reviewed horribly and/or the publisher loses money badly on it. Tyranny got reviewed well enough and most likely made Paradox some profit. It's only natural for them to expect it to sell better after looking at Pillars 1 sales numbers. What they failed to realize at Paradox was that Pillars had huge marketing campaign mostly due to the Kickstarter bonanza and Tyranny had pretty much non-existant.

Lacrymas

Arcane
"Everything is in Obsidian's favor" - just like everything was in Larian's favor!

:happytrollboy:

Well, yes :p That's my point, they can still royally fuck it up, even to the point of it being actively and aggressively worse than the prequel. Larian's attempt was obviously a fail before it even released, it didn't have the conditions in place to be a vast improvement in any area that matters. At best it could've been the same, but more of it. The 7 writers they hired were obviously not T. S. Elliot or Boris Vian from the get-go, Swen's stubbornness to change the random item design, the 4 studios they hired for VO, which also makes me think they were unable to come up with what to do with their budget, etc. and now that the dirty secrets are revealed, those of changing the people responsible for system design and whatever else, cemented the idea that it didn't have a chance at all.

As opposed to Obsidian, who still have the most important person to oversee the whole thing and still design the systems (Josh, obviously, who doesn't have deeply ingrained, degenerate ideas for the design), still have the people who worked on WM2 and their track record of changing things for the better makes me think they stand a better chance to improve. Maybe I am naive, but that's what it looks like to me and I think it's logical.

Fun fact about the Volga boatmen song - It's a "traditional" (long story) Russian song written down by Mily Balakirev, one of "The Five", a group of 5 composers united by their ideals for a pure Russian nationalistic music during the second half of the 19th century. In this context, his desire to go record songs he thought were indicative of the Russian sound isn't surprising.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
D:OS 2 will sell great, PoE 2 will also sell at least good, so saying "it didn't have a chance"/"it has a chance" is a bit being in your own universe with your own values.

What would you want to have in PoE2 which would merit calling it incline over PoE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom