Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"I concur with the brute. We don't know what we'll face here, and our senses may not always be trustworthy. Solon," He addresses the magic user, "you brought us here. What do you think?"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr strains his eyes, his ears and nose trying to detect anything amiss. Nothing seems explicitly out of the ordinary, except that all of the trees are covered in thick blankets of moss and lichens, and wide mats of ivy hang from their branches, blocking almost all of the ambient light. You do however note the total lack of insects, birds and other woodland critters you would expect to find in a forest.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"This wood is too quiet. Be wary." Rhenmyr will take up a rearguard position if Borric or Amon are scouting.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"What is wrong with this strange wood, I wonder? A malady, a sickness perhaps?"
Can Mab roll a Nature check to try and see why there is no animals, why the trees look so sickly(for lack of a better word)?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"What is wrong with this strange wood, I wonder? A malady, a sickness perhaps?"
Can Mab roll a Nature check to try and see why there is no animals, why the trees look so sickly(for lack of a better word)?
Definitely.

Second point of order: Decide between yourselves who is going to be the leader or 'point man' in your little expedition. As you travel I'm going to make a few checks. I'm sure you can figure out what kind of skills are useful here; e.g. Nature, Navigate, Track, Move Quietly, Hide, and/or a high POW characteristic for obvious and maybe not so obvious reasons. I'm only going to ask the leader to make rolls, but for every other character with at least 50% in a given skill, you can add 10% of your skill to the leader's skill roll(s) as an 'assist.'

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab walks over to a tree and pinches some of the moss hanging from its trunk. You smell it and are slightly surprised to discover that it has no smell -- that earthy, loamy, scent you associate with tree-moss just isnt't there. Additionally, you look up and there's something about the vines that unsettles you. There is a bit of a breeze, but some of the vines don't move with the wind . . . and for the briefest moment, you see some of the vines move when there is no breeze blowing through the trees.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab takes up the position just to the side and slightly behind Borric (who I'm assuming is taking the lead). He whispers to all the party members who can hear, "The vines here and the moss as well; they're unnatural. They move on their own and don't move in the wind. The moss doesn't smell right. Take care of what you bother. What you may think is just a vine may indeed be out to kill you."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
GM said:
Second point of order:
Decide between yourselves who is going to be the leader or 'point man' in your little expedition. As you travel I'm going to make a few checks. I'm sure you can figure out what kind of skills are useful here; e.g. Nature, Navigate, Track, Move Quietly, Hide, and/or a high POW characteristic for obvious and maybe not so obvious reasons. I'm only going to ask the leader to make rolls, but for every other character with at least 50% in a given skill, you can add 10% of your skill to the leader's skill roll(s) as an 'assist.'

Rhenmyr's decent at all of that. He'll lead/scout if needed. Rearguard if not.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grimgravy Here's something to easily reference for any skill rolls I ask you to make.
Any character that has a 50% or higher rating in Nature, Navigation, or Track they automatically add 10% of their skill rating to assist Rhenmyr's pathfinding
Here's some characters who can aid and their relevant skills:
Borric: Track 58% (6% bonus)
Mab: Nature: 71% (7% bonus) Track: 50% (5% bonus)
Urash Nature: 54% (5% bonus)

(So it looks like it's decided that Rhenmyr is your point man, if so, then describe to me how you are proceeding: keeping to the path, ranging off-trail, keeping the party in sight at all times, who's in front, who's in back, single-file, whatever? So far I gather that Urash is hanging in the back, does anybody else have any particular plans, precautions they want to impart, etc.?)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Do you have any stories of Faerie, Marcan? Is it best to stick to the path to you think? What say the wizards and Drune?"
Reserving judgement on the path for not. Rhenmyr will try to be stealthy. He'll aim to keep the party in hand signal range if staying on the path, within shouting distance if we decide to venture off it.

Tagging for potential lore roles. Siveon L'ennui Wayward Son
World Lore (52): [1d100] = 13 Did Djivan's teaching mention anything useful about Faerie?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the signpost fixed in place, or has its installation been tampered with in any way?
Make an Idea roll (INTx5)
I rolled 54 vs 70. I don't have my char sheet at hand, so I'm assigning the target number from memory.
Yup, 70 is your target number. please post the link to your roll when you get a chance plox
Borric walks over to the sign and looks it up and down. The post is bent and dinged about three feet off of the ground. At some point something clearly collided with it, but when, what, whom, or why is anybody's guess.
Idea roll [1d100] = 54 vs 70:

nikolokolus

Arcane
nikolokolus How does this place compare to the otherworld we saw from the balcony in Ghul's tower?

Rhenmyr thinks long and hard about the weirdness that he saw from Ghul's balcony in comparison to this strange place. Maybe it's the quality of the light, or some other quirk that you can't quite put your finger on, but your intuition is that they are different in some fundamental way. The view from Ghul's tower didn't feel unnatural the way this place does, but the fact that the Odessos you saw through the brass tube was utterly devoid of life, and you could see the silhouettes of broken buildings on the horizon, doesn't line up with how the city appeared from outside the tower.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Did my world lore roll turn up anything useful?
Sorry, somehow I missed that.

A side note, this is where I feel like MW's skill list falls down a bit, but we use what we're given ;)

Djivan must have been a bit of a storyteller for you to know anything about the Keltic Otherworld, Annwn. What he relayed was told in a half-believing manner without any authority or conviction. The impression you got was that it could be a land of terror, a land of the dead, a timeless paradise, and/or the abode of the gods. In other words a place of contradictions, or perhaps many things.

The one thing that stood out to you in all of the stories is that the people who supposedly went to Annwn and came back, we're all either very clever, unusually brave, or extremely virtuous -- which is to say they didn't fall prey to enchantments, they didn't give into fear, or they unlocked some secret that permitted them to pass unmolested. Conversely, the craven, the selfish, and the greedy all seem to succumb to the place and never return.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Oh yeah, did Solon ever answer me?
Solon looks around, his face a mask of confusion and awe, "I don't know what I expected to find here, but this ... I expected something grander and less foreboding?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom