Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Arx is cool ::) enjoy the city so far

Shadenuat

Arcane
CC in the game are not bad because they're innefective, they're bad because their overal design is brainless and leads to predictable encounters and gameplay.

They are also unbalanced af, like Warfare giving 2 which make game easier than both butchered by banalce Ice&Lightning magics combined - since monsters mostly don't care what you use on them, you will use that from level 1 slugs to level 20 giant golemdragons throughout the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
that's not really true. My most succesful strategy right now seems to be peeling off armor from one foe at a time, attempting to keep them CC'ed once that's done and then mop up once everybody's armor is down or I run out of CC

Well it sure isn't right now.

I took your advice and attempted to deal with the Trompdoy fight that way, and promptly got mugged. Reloaded and switched back to the usual tactic of clobbering them one by one, and won handily.

Well I beat that fight in exactly that way. See the conversation between me and Immortal - it might be due to differences in our build

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Maybe I'm a bit retadred :retarded: but where do I get the soul jars for these skeleton shits in the dungeon near the maze? I can't figure it out for the life of me. I can (barely) kill them, get the key and open the door but then I'll just be raped by them once they revive.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe I'm a bit retadred :retarded: but where do I get the soul jars for these skeleton shits in the dungeon near the maze? I can't figure it out for the life of me. I can (barely) kill them, get the key and open the door but then I'll just be raped by them once they revive.
A cave on the beach beneath/behind the tower.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Arx is a fucking fag city, encountered three fag couples -two lesbian couples, and one interracial gay couple. The fucking California in RPG, i didn't think twice when
i've turned the valve with deathfog to exterminate the whole city

otsego

Cipher
Has anybody noticed that the environment is incredibly unpredictable and annoying in this game compared to D:OS1? I feel like a small drop of blood on the ground suddenly turns into a cursed electrified stormcloud that fills half the screen in the blink of an eye.

Maybe it has something to do with random enemies popping into play out of no where at the start of combat. I feel like I need to walk into an encounter to scout it, and then reload to properly play it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong and I'm stupid, but there's just so much that feels wrong about combat encounters, design, and environmental elements now.

Oh, and speaking of the frustrating enemy encounters... I noticed something else last night while raging about enemy pop-in... I find D:OS2 suffers horribly from 'waist-height cover foreshadowing' ala. Gears of War or any console cover shooter... once I see two or three raised high-ground platforms, I know some shit is going to go down. It really takes me out of the game.

Sigh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Arx is a fucking fag city, encountered three fag couples -two lesbian couples, and one interracial gay couple. The fucking California in RPG, i didn't think twice when
i've turned the valve with deathfog to exterminate the whole city
Hahaha the whole world is a fag world.I have met at least a dozen faggot couples and a few single faggots.Also let the fag paladin get killed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Has anybody noticed that the environment is incredibly unpredictable in this game compared to D:OS1? I feel like a small drop of blood on the ground suddenly turns into a cursed electrified stormcloud that fills half the screen in the blink of an eye.

Maybe it has something to do with random enemies popping into play out of no where at the start of combat. I feel like I need to walk into an encounter to scout it, and then reload to properly play it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong and I'm stupid, but there's just so much that feels wrong about both combat encounters, design, and environmental elements now.

Oh, and speaking of the frustrating enemy encounters... I noticed something else last night while raging about enemy pop-in... I find D:OS2 suffers horribly from 'waist-height cover syndrome' foreshadowing ala. Gears of War or any console cover shooter... once I see two or three raised high-ground platforms, I know some shit is going to go down. It really takes me out of the game.

Sigh.
Yeah most of my fights end up as a hellish inferno,i just learned to ignore it and nuke everything with fire magic and poison explosion.

Salvo

Arcane
Finally got that Anethema sword thing from Tarquinn, finally a proper weapon. But it breaks after 1 use? Anybody know how to not make it brittle? aka. have more durability?

I got 9000 dmg with it on my warrior ;D

It's supposed to break as it has the 'Brittle' tag. You can use skills without worrying though, as they don't use up durability. Get Overpower, Crippling Strike, Whirlwind, Battle Stomp, Blitz Attack, a high Crit % (easily achievable with Giant Flame Runes on amulets) and you should one/two shot everybody.

Has anybody noticed that the environment is incredibly unpredictable in this game compared to D:OS1? I feel like a small drop of blood on the ground suddenly turns into a cursed electrified stormcloud that fills half the screen in the blink of an eye.

Maybe it has something to do with random enemies popping into play out of no where at the start of combat. I feel like I need to walk into an encounter to scout it, and then reload to properly play it. Maybe I'm playing it wrong and I'm stupid, but there's just so much that feels wrong about both combat encounters, design, and environmental elements now.

Oh, and speaking of the frustrating enemy encounters... I noticed something else last night while raging about enemy pop-in... I find D:OS2 suffers horribly from 'waist-height cover syndrome' foreshadowing ala. Gears of War or any console cover shooter... once I see two or three raised high-ground platforms, I know some shit is going to go down. It really takes me out of the game.

Sigh.
Yeah most of my fights end up as a hellish inferno,i just learned to ignore it and nuke everything with fire magic and poison explosion.

I believe that's because of the questionable decision of having basically every enemy bleed cursed surfaces, which in turn make everything they touch cursed. A small nugget of advice, Flaming Skin (Poly 2 Pyro 2) is quite useful as it makes you immune to Fire/Necrofire which are the two most common status effects in the game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You mean Dragon's Beach? I already cleared out that dungeon, didn't get shit.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Has anybody noticed that the environment is incredibly unpredictable and annoying in this game compared to D:OS1?
Enemies hitting you in melee while standing 3 meters below is better. I am not sure game calculates heights and surfaces correctly sometimes.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I don't understand the armor complaints really. So the enemies have a "break" bar that has to be worn down before they are vulnerable to other effects. Big deal. It's not like the game doesn't give you the tools to manage exactly that. Anything that adds tactical utility to skills makes the combat more interesting. The complaint seems to be players are mad the same strategies from the first game aren't as viable; they can't just lock down every fight in the first round anymore. Toughen up, buttercups.
The fact that you think that this has anything to do with difficulty shows that you have not read or understood the complaints, or followed the discussion, and your opinion is to be immediately discarded like the garbage it is. Every time I see a pleb going "Hurr durr is it too difficulty for you durrr the game is easy I'm so hardcore why do you think it's so difficult play on explorer lmao loool" it just reminds me that our mental health care institutions are in shambles and we need to start locking up and care for the mentally challenged again, restricting their general access to overall society, where they may be mistaken for normal human beings.

Jesus Christ, it's not that fucking hard to wrap your head around the issues. The fact that every fucking CC and effect automatically succeed once that armor is stripped down is just as much of an issue as the fact that you fully resist everything with even a smidgen of armor, and what penetrates armor and what targets which armor is the opposite of intuitive. But don't let discussions on the issues stop you from your baseless assumptions and your paste-eating, you casualized piece of shit.

I bet you'd have just as much fun if we just gave you a happy meal and rolled your drooling ass into the ball pit at McDonalds, anyway.
Grow up dude.

otsego

Cipher
Has anybody noticed that the environment is incredibly unpredictable and annoying in this game compared to D:OS1?
Enemies hitting you in melee while standing 3 meters below is better. I am not sure game calculates heights and surfaces correctly sometimes.

Ahh... so many lost AP points and positionings because I got my two-handed fella to attack an enemy near a ladder on a platform, expecting him to climb up to take a swing, only to do it from 5 meters below....

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You mean Dragon's Beach? I already cleared out that dungeon, didn't get shit.
No the other one,on the left side of the tower.
FortJoyMap.jpg

The pin is the location of the cave,between the seekers camp and the tower.

Salvo

Arcane
I'm still wearing the helmet at level 12. Warm isn't much of a curse.

Set looks great on my char its really shame you cant reforge it to higher level the way you can do with gear in Skyrim and DAO.

There's also the problem of receiving it too late into the game, when it's already being outclassed by random drops/vendor gear. But that's a problem I have already mentioned in one of my previous posts.

I find the idea of having to wear the full set to not be cursed quite cute, but they need to either get rid of it or improve the set's stats to make it viable. Most people just sell it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

i'm generally detecting some very big doom 2 influence in this game

- armour that counts as another hp bar
- monster closets and pop-ups galore
- being able to melee munsters that are much above you

it all makes sense

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Heights are a mess,hate how projectile spells are useless when the enemy is in higher ground.

KateMicucci

Arcane
  • OK with armor and completely binary outcomes.
  • Claims environmentals are toned down.
  • Implies that fights in D:OS2 do not turn into one big fireball.
  • Says that D:OS2 is more "focused on applying CC".
I refuse to believe you actually play D:OS2 or D:OS1, at this point. I really do.

Environmental AOEs are significantly smaller:
A fire ball in Dos 1 is 7.5m wide
A fire ball in Dos 2 is 6m wide

A molotov in Dos 1 is 8m wide
A molotov in Dos 2 is 4.5m wide

Barrels and poisons that catch flame also seem to have smaller explosions. Midnight Oil is gone and giant poison clouds are harder to generate. Players also need LOS to throw fireballs now. Setting the entire field on fire is less common than DoS1 then simply because it is more difficult. It is also less desirable, as the burning status is blocked by magic armor. I can only recall two fights in Dos2 where I've set everything on fire to win, one was the hound guy and one was the giant spider. In Dos1 setting everything on fire was a default strat and enemies were dumb enough to run through flames until they died.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

i'm generally detecting some very big doom 2 influence in this game

- armour that counts as another hp bar
- monster closets and pop-ups galore
- being able to melee munsters that are much above you

it all makes sense

The height thing seems like a legit bug. Having a dude hit me from the bottom of the castle wall while I'm on top can't be intended behavior.

The armor = HP and higher ground = increased range/damage is pure Final Fantasy Tactics.

Also the system of selecting a pre-made main character and recruiting from the rest of the pool for party members is from the SaGa series.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I refuse to believe you actually play D:OS2 or D:OS1, at this point. I really do.

Barrels and poisons that catch flame also seem to have smaller explosions. Midnight Oil is gone and giant poison clouds are harder to generate. Players also need LOS to throw fireballs now. Setting the entire field on fire is less common than DoS1 then simply because it is more difficult. It is also less desirable, as the burning status is blocked by magic armor. I can only recall two fights in Dos2 where I've set everything on fire to win, one was the hound guy and one was the giant spider. In Dos1 setting everything on fire was a default strat and enemies were dumb enough to run through flames until they died.
Ok what game are you playing?Every enemy have some skill that puts poison or oil on the field,also most battle grounds are filled with poison or oil.Around 90% of my battles are a sparkling mess of effects,most times i can't even see my enemies and have to search them on the mini map.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview with Swen Vincke from Belgian site last week: https://www.9lives.be/special/larian-bezieler-swen-vincke-over-divinity-original-sin-ii

goofy Google Translate said:
How do players get caught up? "I think that interest has never been wasted," says Swen Vincke, Larian's animator. "In the late 1990's, that genre was essentially too expensive to make for the major game publishers: the audience that existed was no longer sufficient to justify the investment. But in recent years there has been a huge widening in the video game industry , which makes it possible to work on big niches. It was forgotten that there is a market for this kind of games. "

Why did you want to make a sequel to Original Sin, and not - I'm just saying something - a Divinity III?
"I do not talk about what we might want to do in the future (laughs). But we felt that our story in this prequel universe was not yet published."

How many people have you been to Divinity: Original Sin II?
"The team we have built over the past few years consisted of 135 people. Forty-five of them are in Ghent, the rest is spread across our foreign locations in Ireland, Russia and Canada."

In the meantime, in addition to the central studio in Ghent, you have development affiliates in St Petersburg, Dublin and Quebec City. What have they been in the development of Divinity: Original Sin II?
Initially, we set up those branches to make use of the talent in the three cities. For example, in St. Petersburg, we discovered that local developers are very adept at making console versions, which makes us most of the console edition of Divinity: Original Sin. But meanwhile we have been organized this way. "

How anchored do you still feel in Ghent, or Belgium, now you become such an international organization?
"Here is our core team. Most of the development of Divinity: Original Sin II has also happened here and the important decisions have been taken here. We have just moved to a beautiful new building. A large part of the team lives here too. We do not intend to leave here. "

Did you work for the Enhanced Edition and Console Versions of the first Original Sin together with the French publisher Focus Home Interactive, after having been your own publisher for several years?
"If you want to grow as a gaming company, it's important that you can continue to manage your own intellectual property. From the moment we took this step in 2010, and we were independent from outside parties, we always have the best at every game watched the way to market him. For consoles, when we launched the Enhanced Edition, we got more into a party who knew about retail distribution. For Divinity: Original Sin II, now only on PC is being launched online, the most important distribution form, and we can already do that well. "

What brings the future?
"We can not tell you what our future plans are, but we've got things going on: we know where we're going. What we certainly know is that all of our future games will fall into two possible genres: role playing games and strategy games. Our core strategy is really simple. I think it's very important that we continue to make the kind of games we want to play. "

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

That's true but I still have most battles turn into a clusterfuck of poisoned burning electrified frozen blood clouds. I think Contamination is a big culprit there though, maybe I should stop using it.

My complaint is the above tends to make all battles favor ranged attacks. Unless you forgo AoE spells and go all melee, you can't really risk throwing any melee character into the hazard zone for spells. I can't remember if that was true in the first game too though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom