Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LEAST favourite time setting for an rpg (poll)

least favourite time setting for an rpg

• Prehistoric era (cavemen and dinosaurs. RPGs like: ???)

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Classical/Antiquity era (RPGs like: age of decadence, titan quest)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • High medieval era (RPGs like: skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, pretty much 99% of RPGs)

Votes: 37 29.4%
  • Late medieval era (addition of guns and muskets and halberds. RPGs like: pillars of eternity)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Steampunk era (RPGs like: arcanum)

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Early Modern era (early 20th century. RPGs like: ???)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Modern era (RPGs like: masquerade bloodlines)

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Post-apocalyptic era (RPGs like: fallout)

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Cyberpunk era (RPGs like: shadowrun, deus ex, copper dreams)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Futuristic era (RPGs like system shock, mass effect)

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Bonus question: What rpg time setting would you like to see more of?

BOUNS bonus question: Would a prehistoric RPG be doomed to fail?

pomenitul

Arbiter
All settings have their merits, but for argument's sake, steampunk takes a fascinatingly ambiguous era and overdetermines its mechanical-scientific aspects, turning it into a compendium of gimmicks. It's also 'Murican as fuck, at least in my admittedly limited experience.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Least favourite: generic copy paste fantasy with huge pauldrons and huge swords, a la Kingdoms of Alamur.

What I'd like to see more of: settings based on real history mixed with real myths and superstitions a la Darklands.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
We NEED more Sci-fi cRPGs with post-apoc elements as a plus.

Good thing we have Vince's The New World Coming. It looks to be one of the best cRPGs released so far.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'd like to see more alternate-Earth settings, set in something like the Napoleonic era, or Thirty-Years War, but with some twist, like Francis Bacon actually unlocked the secrets of scientific alchemy, or witchcraft was real -- not quite steampunk, but maybe more like clockpunk? And yes, a prehistoric RPG would be a commercial failure, even if it had cavemen and dinosaurs somehow living side-by-side. The only thing that might work would be a "lost world" setting, ala Skull Island in the Age of Exploration.

I'd like to see more alternate-Earth settings, set in something like the Napoleonic era, or Thirty-Years War, but with some twist, like Francis Bacon actually unlocked the secrets of scientific alchemy, or witchcraft was real -- not quite steampunk, but maybe more like clockpunk? And yes, a prehistoric RPG would be a commercial failure, even if it had cavemen and dinosaurs somehow living side-by-side. The only thing that might work would be a "lost world" setting, ala Skull Island in the Age of Exploration.
Agreed. When I think "clockpunk", I think immediately of Ian Tregillis' "The Alchemy Wars" series of books, starting with "The Mechanical". Absolutely marvelous setting for an RPG.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions Viking has me covered, mostly. Beyond that, probably some RPG set in the steppes, with all sorts of tribal politics and Slav barbarians.
Heh, it's got barbarians by default, so you already start with the best class ever.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Most of them are pretty worn out.

I'd really, really like an RPG set in the 16th/17th century. God knows that medieval fantasy settings are so tapped out that they've started raiding later eras for inspiration. This seems to be what Sawyer wants to do with POE and POE2 but can't because he got stuck making a generic medieval fantasy game. The hangman's tree in POE for example is inspired by a 17th century illustration, and there are the supposed colonization themes in POE2.

Gregz

Arcane

Why can't we have multiple votes? At least 3 of those time periods are equally boring to me. You'll get better info allowing up to say, 5 votes.

V_K

Arcane
I wouldn't mind something like Arcanum/Shadowrun but in the Great Depression/Prohibition era. Troll gangsters, bootlegged healing potions - that sort of thing.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Probably steampunk. I've never even had a fleeting interest in that aspect of the era and theorise that Americans in particular are so enamoured with the subgenre because the industrial revolution occurred alongside the birth of their country, so it's nostalgic to them. What's a couple of hundred years to a snooty European? We've got toilets older than that. ;)

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Can't think of a single good sci fi RPG. Deus Ex is more of an action-adventure with light RPG elements.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I usually don't enjoy "Steampunk", but I loved Arcanum setting. Equally, ancient era would be my theoretical favorite but I can't remember one that I enjoyed in a pure "classical" setting (loved AoD but I think the setting only follows ancient aesthetic, being more feudal). In sum: You need a neutral option on this poll.

System

Educated
I wouldn't mind playing a game set in any of those settings.

As for the prehistoric setting, it is not doomed to fail. Most of the people imagine prehistory as paleolithic subhumans living in caves leading boring lives. It was of course much more than that, ever since neolithic you have complex societies and after the bronze age you have full blown kingdoms. You all probably know about Otzi the Iceman, the circumstances of his death read like an exciting encounter in a RPG. In most of the Europe historical records didn't appear until Roman times so there is a lot of room to explore.

Also, didn't Ultima do the prehistoric thing before?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love them all, as long as they're done well.

Honestly, we haven't had many truly medieval RPGs done right, only faux-medieval high fantasy that is based more on cliches than on actual medieval stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom