Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Prime Junta

The major issues aren't bugs, though, they're systemic, and unless Larian recognizes that too, it's unlikely to be changed in a mere patch, unfortunately.

Technically they would be easy to address. The armour thing can be sorted by twiddling numbers (make them soft resistances rather than hard counters and buff environmental effects and status conditions to match), and the initiative thing is just a matter of plugging in a different script to compute turn order. So yeah, all it takes is for them to realise that there's something there to fix.

Sadly, the ZOMG 96% GOTdecade!!!!11one reviews don't give a particularly strong signal for that. But who knows, maybe they're lurking here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The armour thing can be sorted by twiddling numbers (make them soft resistances rather than hard counters and buff environmental effects and status conditions to match)

As hiver said, he and others begged and pleaded for this during the EA and were ultimately told no. :M

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The major issues aren't bugs, though, they're systemic, and unless Larian recognizes that too, it's unlikely to be changed in a mere patch, unfortunately.

Technically they would be easy to address. The armour thing can be sorted by twiddling numbers (make them soft resistances rather than hard counters and buff environmental effects and status conditions to match), and the initiative thing is just a matter of plugging in a different script to compute turn order. So yeah, all it takes is for them to realise that there's something there to fix.

Sadly, the ZOMG 96% GOTdecade!!!!11one reviews don't give a particularly strong signal for that. But who knows, maybe they're lurking here.
Yes, but changing the armor would fuck around with a lot of the assumptions and subsystems of the game, like the (laughable) defensive abilities, and potentially a lot of the skills, which do what, and how they function, as well as how much of a chance they have to pierce protections, and so on. It would also fuck around with the inherent value of armor in itself and what you get out of items. I'm absolutely not saying that they shouldn't do that - I really do think that they should, because it could improve the game immensely - but I think it could be a lot of work and I just don't see it as a reasonable expectation.

Meanwhile, just flipping the switch and implement an initiative-based turn-order would immediately improve the game immensely and in fact start taking advantage of the games various sub-systems that already exists with this in mind, including items with initiative bonuses, the wit attribute, or the human racial. It's something that could be done today. It could be fucking hotfixed. It's entirely within the realm of possibility, especially since the paste-eaters of the world obviously wouldn't even notice a difference, since they have no fucking clue how it's functioning to begin with, right now.

The armour thing can be sorted by twiddling numbers (make them soft resistances rather than hard counters and buff environmental effects and status conditions to match)

As hiver said, he and others begged and pleaded for this during the EA and were ultimately told no. :M
What fucking retards were arguing in favor of this system? Instead of lamenting Hiver's failure, we should be sending killbots to the people responsible for defending it. Who thought this was fun?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Has anyone tried this mod? The number bloat at level 16 onwards has gotten to me and I'm thinking of starting a new save so I can add mods
Playing it right now on tactician. A level 3 staff compared to level 1 staff has 8-9 damage vs 5-7 damage. A level 2 dagger has same dmg as level 1 dagger. Enemies are within 100 hp, and can be killed with reasonable effort, while still posing a big threat.Tactician armor and hp bloat feels like it scaled back down into realm of reason since those extra 50% are now just don't multiply as high. I am still ougunned and outnumbered and outbloated but it doesn't feel stupid, just okay since I have bad items.

I am just level 5-6 tho, not sure how it would fare later in the game.

Sjukob

Arcane
Blame the Irish on this one. Charlene Putney wrote Ifan, Stephen Rooney wrote Fane. Sarah Baylus, an American tranplant first to Belgium and then to Ireland wrote Lohse. Kevin VanOrd, a game journalist transplant from San Francisco to Belgium wrote Red Prince. Devin Doyle (a total cuck) wrote Sebille. I haven't been able to find out who wrote Beast, but I assume he was given to John Corcoran. Every writer got a companion (except Jan the writing director who likely doesn't do much or possibly any actual writing anymore).
Holy shit , thinking of what their next game might be makes me scared .

Has anyone tried this mod? The number bloat at level 16 onwards has gotten to me and I'm thinking of starting a new save so I can add mods
Playing it right now on tactician. A level 3 staff compared to level 1 staff has 8-9 damage vs 5-7 damage. A level 2 dagger has same dmg as level 1 dagger. Enemies are within 100 hp, and can be killed with reasonable effort, while still posing a big threat.Tactician armor and hp bloat feels like it scaled back down into realm of reason since those extra 50% are now just don't multiply as high. I am still ougunned and outnumbered and outbloated but it doesn't feel stupid, just okay since I have bad items.

I am just level 5-6 tho, not sure how it would fare later in the game.

There is a no bloat version of the mod by the same guy as well, which absolutely disables vitality scaling with level. So a lv 20 equip does roughly 20% more damage than a lv1 equip. Anyone tried this version

tet666

Augur
There is a no bloat version of the mod by the same guy as well, which absolutely disables vitality scaling with level. So a lv 20 equip does roughly 20% more damage than a lv1 equip. Anyone tried this version

It works but it's pretty wonky, lot of stuff like healing potions, healing in general and so on relies on the scaling so it doesn't work correctly anymore if it's fully disabled, the system would have to be rewritten to fix that from what i can see, it's possible but a bit of work maybe someone will do it but i wouldn't really recommend playing with the no scaling version atm.

Freakydemon

Educated
All the companions can swing any way btw which is just convenient design really.

A Trial for all Seasons quest.
I have cast all needed spells (each totem talked with my char), but nobody appears. I must do something else?
You need to use the spells on the totems (success is shown with the little wisps flying around said totems), talk to each activated totem before any of em lose their wisps, and I think talk to the centrepiece again with all totems still having their wisps. It can be a bit of a hassle with that whole waiting for a spell to finish casting before new actions can be taken tbh. The spells are highly specific for certain totems as well, summer can only be activated by one spell in the game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game did not spawned 2 out of 5 pieces of Tyrant Armor and I cant close some of quests; but so far chapter 1 on the first Island was very fun to play; setting and dialogues are much better than in DDOS1 with only Elf and Dorf companions being twats so far.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there any GUD and balanced youtube reviews yet? Some that doesn't shill and slurp Larian cock.
Basically you mean reviews that agree with your opinion, right?

No, I mean balanced, objective and fair reviews. The good and the bad. Most in this thread, seems to be oblivious or blind to the apparant flaws of the series.

Except Jimmious and a few others fanbois, most people in this thread do acknowledge the game's flaws.

What most people refuse to do is to call out the game as a piece of shit. Look at this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/so-how-do-we-rate-d-os-2.118398/page-2#post-5312548

42% voted for "Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some". It sounds positive but it represents an empty summation: there is no way to determine what is the "average experience" therefore you could say the game is good for whatever it is.

In reality, this games should be savaged for its obscure and even broken combat mechanics, retarded encounter design, theme park feeling (Driftwood), sub-par story, itemization scaling and so on.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have repeatedly talked about the flaws of the game.
The fact that you want someone to bash the game while it's in a generally very good state is a different issue

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Are there any GUD and balanced youtube reviews yet? Some that doesn't shill and slurp Larian cock.
Basically you mean reviews that agree with your opinion, right?

No, I mean balanced, objective and fair reviews. The good and the bad. Most in this thread, seems to be oblivious or blind to the apparant flaws of the series.

Except Jimmious and a few others fanbois, most people in this thread do acknowledge the game's flaws.

What most people refuse to do is to call out the game as a piece of shit. Look at this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/so-how-do-we-rate-d-os-2.118398/page-2#post-5312548

42% voted for "Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some". It sounds positive but it represents an empty summation: there is no way to determine what is the "average experience" therefore you could say the game is good for whatever it is.

In reality, this games should be savaged for its obscure and even broken combat mechanics, retarded encounter design, theme park feeling (Driftwood), sub-par story, itemization scaling and so on.
I think I've been one of the most vocal critics of the flaws of the game and I still voted it as an "above-average experience". You're saying that there's no way to determine what the "average experience" is, but this is quite obviously entirely subjective, based on the average quality of games experienced by the voter. It's very obviously not intended to be an exhaustive analysis, but an indicator of perceived quality (or lack thereof).

Really, there's no way to poll that shit in a way that could not be criticized on the grounds on which you criticize this one. It's an inherent flaw in the nature of polling.

And it is part of why democracy is a garbage system of governance.
All the companions can swing any way btw which is just convenient design really.
"We're not cultural marxists pushing an agenda as part of establishing a political platform in the interest of subversion and sexual propaganda, we're just really, really lazy niggers" is a really shitty defense.

Freakydemon

Educated
Game did not spawned 2 out of 5 pieces of Tyrant Armor and I cant close some of quests; but so far chapter 1 on the first Island was very fun to play; setting and dialogues are much better than in DDOS1 with only Elf and Dorf companions being twats so far.
The tyrant set is not worth the bother of collecting it tbh but the wiki has the locations of all the pieces if you still care. http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Artifacts+of+the+Tyrant

Jarmaro

Liturgist
The Tyrant Set itself was neat idea, I wanted to explore and collect pieces, then be rewarded for my effort.
4 of 5 pieces are hidden in reasonable places.
Except one part. Tyrant's Stride location is ridicoulus.
It's in a statue in a Hidden Passage, under Fort Joy. Guess what happens if you approach the statue? You get typicall comment. There are two statues there.
Except you can enter "dialog tree" with Statue if your character (dunno if it must be character used at that moment, I hope not) has 15 Wits and then you discover hidden part of set.
So, I haven't thought about putting any point on any character in Wits before, as it seemed useless to me. This statue is in location to which we come at level 4-5.

What a retard designed it? If I decided to add points to Wits later, then I would have ZERO idea where to find last piece. There's ZERO info about parts' locations.
Who thought it's a good idea?

And the most insulting part: It's not even that good. You get similliar pieces of armor by exploring, don't even need to buy in the shop. To wear the set you need to use ALL parts at the same time.
Having all parts together doesn't give any bonus neither.
It's just a waste of time, as you will find better equipment hour after finding it.

This is so bad, pieces of that are located on entire island, that would be the reason players explore. How could they fuck it up?
:negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A Trial for all Seasons quest.
I have cast all needed spells (each totem talked with my char), but nobody appears. I must do something else?

One of many examples of the trademark Larian puzzle retardery. You have to:

cast specific spells, not just the general element: Laser Ray for summer, Hail Strike for winter, Rain of Blood for spring and Static Cloud for autumn (static cloud arrow is best)

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm still using the Tyrant set at level 13 it isn't good or anything just looks cool. Now the Sigon set from Diablo 2 that was a cool set.

Seethe

Arbiter
We're not cultural marxists pushing an agenda as part of establishing a political platform in the interest of subversion and sexual propaganda, we're just really, really lazy niggers" is a really shitty defense.

Weren't you inbreds complaining that SJWs should stop bitching about offensive games and make their own ones? Well they did, and now you're the one who's bitching and being offended. I've said it before, and I say it again, seeing a political agenda everywhere means you have some actual, clinical mental illness. Delusion it is called. SJWs do the same shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meanwhile, just flipping the switch and implement an initiative-based turn-order would immediately improve the game immensely

That would take much, much more than just flipping a switch. Say high Wits (30+) could make my Ranger go several times a turn. Without some massive changes to damage, enemy HP and so on the game would be completely broken due to the utter OPness of archery in this game. I'd basically kill off the entire gaggle of mobs even without using expensive source skills before they could begin.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The :decline: :
  • Combat in general. It's not terrible by general industry standards, but it's a giant step backwards from DOS1.

I thought combat was bad in DOS1. Initially fun because of novelty and gimmicks but later every fight took an hour to complete because enemies are full of resistances, they bleed and heal because of it - and so do I so it's a grind. Haven't played EE though. How can it be worse?

Prime Junta

I thought combat was bad in DOS1. Initially fun because of novelty and gimmicks but later every fight took an hour to complete because enemies are full of resistances, they bleed and heal because of it - and so do I so it's a grind. Haven't played EE though. How can it be worse?

There weren't that many genuinely grindy fights in DOS1. A few, sure, like the Hiberheim Guardian, and of course a few grand boss battles, but most were fairly short and sharp. They did get a bit repetitive past the mid-game, but that's a different matter.

As to how can DOS2 be worse, read this thread.

Israfael

Arcane
I found an interesting (not sure if intended) effect - all animals seems to be programmed to fear earthquakes and, possibly, lightning - if you cast it close to them, they'd run away in fear and whimper. What's funny the undead/demon dog (that summons a rape squad that turns you into pulp very fast) in the cemetery is also susceptible to this and it runs like a little girl if you cast earthquake close enough to it, and then you have ample time to press the lever, go inside the tomb and de-petrify / kill the sorceress within even at level 10 or less.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
As to how can DOS2 be worse, read this thread.

I don't want to spoil too much. I see discussions of problems with initiative but to me it doesn't looks as big as problems in DOS1 - chaotic elements flying around doing nothing because everyone is immune to this stuff since midgame; one size fits all tactics (most of the game my main character just summoned a boulder from the sky and summoned somebody to take hits); fights take forever to complete - I can't forget this orc village in the end.

I hope they at least fixed the animations. So many suffering came to me and my co-op buddy due to mouse click missing because of sudden monster animation and character running to his death getting all the opportunity strikes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom