Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wanting to get into DnD

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
My advice to you OP is NOT to try the library thing for reasons I'll not even try to get into

Now I'm curious.
Ha! Well I can only speak for our library and what ive seen personally so if someones plays that way I'm not trying to knock them- But man, the people who ive seen playing in the library are the people who nobody else wants to play with in a private group. usually a couple old dudes (not knocking old dudes because I am one) trying to be 'cool' with a few intelligent younger people who think very highly of their own intelligence- The types who would actually say "Q.E.D" after making some point. Rules lawyers and hour long debates about the improper place of some creature abound...Plus they allow black people in the library.

But that aside- The idea of having 'set hours' in a place with rigid rules that are not controlled by anyone in the group just isnt D&D... Having group chemistry with friends is needed imho and part of playing the game face to face involves ordering pizza, maybe stepping out to burn a joint and ending the session when everyone agrees- Not "we play from 5 to 7 pm- no food and drinks and we play with anyone who wanders in.

But thats just my opinion- Honestly maybe theres great groups at libraries but ive checked the one out here and it was just...terrible.

Mojomancer

Novice
But man, the people who ive seen playing in the library are the people who nobody else wants to play with in a private group. usually a couple old dudes (not knocking old dudes because I am one) trying to be 'cool' with a few intelligent younger people who think very highly of their own intelligence- The types who would actually say "Q.E.D" after making some point. Rules lawyers and hour long debates about the improper place of some creature abound...

This seems to be universal to all library RPG groups tbh.

The idea of having 'set hours' in a place with rigid rules that are not controlled by anyone in the group just isnt D&D... Having group chemistry with friends is needed imho and part of playing the game face to face involves ordering pizza, maybe stepping out to burn a joint and ending the session when everyone agrees-

This is how every game should be played.

Not "we play from 5 to 7 pm- no food and drinks and we play with anyone who wanders in.
This would be fine if you want to just learn the rules. Without the food and drink restriction of course.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
As a funny aside it was later banned in high school (even bringing the books) because by that time the whole satanic panic was in full swing and they thought we were going to be sacrificing the virgins at our school...Which we were planning on doing BTW but couldnt find a virgin within 50 miles of Detroit.

:lol:

GarlandExCon

Arcane
My advice to you OP is NOT to try the library thing for reasons I'll not even try to get into

Now I'm curious.
Ha! Well I can only speak for our library and what ive seen personally so if someones plays that way I'm not trying to knock them- But man, the people who ive seen playing in the library are the people who nobody else wants to play with in a private group. usually a couple old dudes (not knocking old dudes because I am one) trying to be 'cool' with a few intelligent younger people who think very highly of their own intelligence- The types who would actually say "Q.E.D" after making some point. Rules lawyers and hour long debates about the improper place of some creature abound...Plus they allow black people in the library.

But that aside- The idea of having 'set hours' in a place with rigid rules that are not controlled by anyone in the group just isnt D&D... Having group chemistry with friends is needed imho and part of playing the game face to face involves ordering pizza, maybe stepping out to burn a joint and ending the session when everyone agrees- Not "we play from 5 to 7 pm- no food and drinks and we play with anyone who wanders in.

But thats just my opinion- Honestly maybe theres great groups at libraries but ive checked the one out here and it was just...terrible.

The people that play D&D at my local library are mostly either kids 7 - teens and middle aged dudes who have played for years and have ridiculous long wizard beards. Also occasionally a random hot chick shows up, but most of them that do are Goth big girls in their 30s with their husbands who have just started families. There's also a surprising amount of older black dudes that come who are always the whitest black dudes you've ever met. Also, one time a kinda cute punky short haired girl showed up. She was very nice, but I was getting SJW & possible lesbian vibes and then I noticed one of the buttons on her bags said "Don't Assume My Gender." So I thought maybe she was a Trap... But how do you even ask someone's gender who is clearly a girl are a super successful male-to-female transition?

I decided just to ask her out for coffee and not worry about it. So I was like "Hey, if you're not doing anything after D&D do you want to go get coffee or something?"

And she was like "Hmm.. I dunno, maybe, yeah."

And I was like "I like your button" (I didn't, it was stupid) and pointed to it on her bag. "Oh, yeah, thanks" she says.

"So.... I mean, since you have the button I have to ask: Are you a girl?"

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"So you identify as male?"

"Yeah."

"But biologically...you're a girl?"

"Yeah."

"So you have like...tits and a vagina?"

"...yeah."

"And no dick?"

"Not yet."

"Okay, good enough. Coffee then?"

(Edit: There's a part 2 to this story, if anyone is interested).

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Now I'm curious.

The people that play D&D at my local library are mostly either kids 7 - teens and middle aged dudes who have played for years and have ridiculous long wizard beards. Also occasionally a random hot chick shows up, but most of them that do are Goth big girls in their 30s with their husbands who have just started families. There's also a surprising amount of older black dudes that come who are always the whitest black dudes you've ever met. Also, one time a kinda cute punky short haired girl showed up. She was very nice, but I was getting SJW & possible lesbian vibes and then I noticed one of the buttons on her bags said "Don't Assume My Gender." So I thought maybe she was a Trap... But how do you even ask someone's gender who is clearly a girl are a super successful male-to-female transition?

I decided just to ask her out for coffee and not worry about it. So I was like "Hey, if you're not doing anything after D&D do you want to go get coffee or something?"

And I was like "I like your button" (I didn't, it was stupid) and pointed to it on her bag. "Oh, yeah, thanks" she says.

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"...yeah."

"And no dick?"

"Not yet."

Hell yes- this is a great story =D

GarlandExCon

Arcane

Now I'm curious.

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"...yeah."

"And no dick?"

"Not yet."

So we end up getting coffee at this coffee shop that's literally inside a church (it's called Sacred Grounds...Ha!). She (?) was confused as to why I picked this location until she had the coffee. I'm not even a coffee person, but their coffee is boss.

So we have a conversation. Naturally it starts with what we already know we have in common, D&D, and drifts into telling about ourselves. What we do for a living, how we grew up, etc. I told her about my business and turns out she likes vintage things (no shock there) so she was intrigued by that. At some point I just let the cat out of the bag that I was in prison, which I never do the first time I meet someone, especially someone I'm trying to fuck.

But for whatever reason I felt comfortable enough with her (?) to tell her about it right off the bat. I mean, she wants a dick, so who is she to judge, am I right?

Her response was "You were in prison!?"

And I go "Hey, take it easy, I'm not the one that wants a dick!"

And she actually laughed. Okay I liked this chick that think she's a dude.

"I'm covered in that department" I added, to go ahead and throw my cards on the table as to what this was all about.

"I don't really want a dick" she says to me. "I was kidding."

"Oh, that's too bad, because I totally have one for you." I was laying it on thick now.

She turns bright red, but doesn't look offended. "Well, I don't want one of my own" she finally says. The "WINNER!" jackpot alarms are already going off in my head, but let's explore this further, I think.

"But you identify as male?"

"Yeah, I was serious about that."

"What's that like?"

So she explains that she just always felt like a boy growing up. I ask her to elaborate on this, giving examples.

"You're just making fun of me" she accuses.

"No, I'm honestly curious" I say, and to tell you the truth, I was. This wasn't just about faking wanting to know more about her to get into her pants (and hopefully not find a dick). I really wanted to get inside the mind of this hot, eccentric, Tom Boyish but in a hot way, SJW chick.

So the explanation she give is essentially the same thing you might hear a Tom Boy say. "I never really hung out with other girls, I liked playing outside as a kid, I never played with dolls, I never really cared about makeup, I hate dresses," etc.

"I've just always felt like I make a better boy than a girl so that's what I must be" she concludes. I knew what I had to do. It was time to throw the hail mary.

"Maybe you're just a female who doesn't conform to the social constructs that make-up the artificial gender roles that exist in a patriarchal society." I almost winced as I said it. I almost laughed even. I felt like I should kick my own ass and I felt the ghost of John Wayne kick me in the balls as if to say my man card was revoked and I didn't deserve them anymore. I felt like a traitor, like I had just thrown mankind under the bus.

But then I reminded myself I didn't sell out, I just did the most manly thing ever because I was doing it for pussy. I was saying whatever it took to get laid and it worked like a fucking charm because she ate that shit up. Suddenly John Wayne was giving me the wink and the gun and whispering "you're alright kid" as this girl who it appeared did want a dick after all -- MY DICK -- beamed at me with a huge smile.

"Hmmm.... Maybe you're right" she said. "I'm impressed." Well, that was fucking easy. This girl went from thinking she was really a man to embracing her womanhood in less than 10 seconds. 'Damn I'm good.' 'What is even wrong with the world today?' 'I want to embrace her womanhood.' These are the things I think, then: 'Well, this train has left the station. Might as well not stop now.'

"Yeah, of course I'm right!" (Because I'm a man, bitch!) "I mean, who says women can't have mostly guy friends or play outside or not like dresses? No one I want to know. That's exactly the kind of girls I like... mean, you're beautiful and part of it is because of those things that make you you."

She's smiling now, blushing. Gotcha bitch!

Now it's time to add a laugh to that smile.

"Because, if you are a boy, you're the hottest boy I've ever seen. And that would make me gay... and I'm pretty sure I'm not gay. But I'd turn gay for you. Yeah."

She laughs so hard she almost spits coffee on me. It lands on the table.

"Hey, I'm only allowed to spit things on you." (I don't think she heard me or got this reference).

So everything's going great. I put some more icing on my sex cake by telling her: "You know, I never -- and I mean, never -- tell anyone about my past the first day I meet them. But I just feel so comfortable around you. You're not the judgmental type. You're so open & honest. I'm really glad I opened up to you."

I swear I heard her get wet.

We're having a conversation on multiple topics now. I can tell she's into me. I'm waiting for the right moment to say "hey, do you wanna get out of here?" and suggest we go back to my place when the conversation takes a turn for the crazy.

Our discussion enters the political. Dangerous fucking territory to say the least. I strategically make sure I become the listener, nodding and agreeing to all the batshit crazy things coming out of this girls mouth because all I care about is putting things into her mouth.

But then she says something that wakes me up from my bored daze: "I'm a member of this anti-fascist group, called Antifa..." I awoke with such a jolt I think she thought I was having a stroke.

"Whoa you, okay?" she asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine...." playing it off. Now, you have to understand something, this was awhile ago. Before Berkeley or Charlottesville or any of that shit. Basically, at the time, I had only heard of Antifa and knew them from a few videos of their stupidity and attacking random people. "So Antifa, huh? I've of it. Don't you guys wear masks??

"Yeah, sometimes" she says with a laugh. Then it hits me, like a light bulb. I know what I want to say and I have to say it.

"Well, that sucks."

"Why?" she asks, genuinely puzzled.

"Because how am I suppose to cum all over your face if you have a mask on." As I said this I say it completely seriously, looking at her right in the eyes. I'm tired of this useless banter. I want to fuck.

"Oh..." she says, shyly at first, looking away at first, turning red. "Well..." she returns her gaze to mine and with the slightest smile says "I can take my mask off for that."

END PART 2.

(Part 3???)

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Now I'm curious.

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"...yeah."

"And no dick?"

"Not yet."

So we end up getting coffee at this coffee shop that's literally inside a church (it's called Sacred Grounds...Ha!). She (?) was confused as to why I picked this location until she had the coffee. I'm not even a coffee person, but their coffee is boss.

So we have a conversation. Naturally it starts with what we already know we have in common, D&D, and drifts into telling about ourselves. What we do for a living, how we grew up, etc. I told her about my business and turns out she likes vintage things (no shock there) so she was intrigued by that. At some point I just let the cat out of the bag that I was in prison, which I never do the first time I meet someone, especially someone I'm trying to fuck.

But for whatever reason I felt comfortable enough with her (?) to tell her about it right off the bat. I mean, she wants a dick, so who is she to judge, am I right?

Her response was "You were in prison!?"

And I go "Hey, take it easy, I'm not the one that wants a dick!"

And she actually laughed. Okay I liked this chick that think she's a dude.

"I'm covered in that department" I added, to go ahead and throw my cards on the table as to what this was all about.

"I don't really want a dick" she says to me. "I was kidding."

"Oh, that's too bad, because I totally have one for you." I was laying it on thick now.

She turns bright red, but doesn't look offended. "Well, I don't want one of my own" she finally says. The "WINNER!" jackpot alarms are already going off in my head, but let's explore this further, I think.

"But you identify as male?"

"Yeah, I was serious about that."

"What's that like?"

So she explains that she just always felt like a boy growing up. I ask her to elaborate on this, giving examples.

"You're just making fun of me" she accuses.

"No, I'm honestly curious" I say, and to tell you the truth, I was. This wasn't just about faking wanting to know more about her to get into her pants (and hopefully not find a dick). I really wanted to get inside the mind of this hot, eccentric, Tom Boyish but in a hot way, SJW chick.

So the explanation she give is essentially the same thing you might hear a Tom Boy say. "I never really hung out with other girls, I liked playing outside as a kid, I never played with dolls, I never really cared about makeup, I hate dresses," etc.

"I've just always felt like I make a better boy than a girl so that's what I must be" she concludes. I knew what I had to do. It was time to throw the hail mary.

"Maybe you're just a female who doesn't conform to the social constructs that make-up the artificial gender roles that exist in a patriarchal society." I almost winced as I said it. I almost laughed even. I felt like I should kick my own ass and I felt the ghost of John Wayne kick me in the balls as if to say my man card was revoked and I didn't deserve them anymore. I felt like a traitor, like I had just thrown mankind under the bus.

But then I reminded myself I didn't sell out, I just did the most manly thing ever because I was doing it for pussy. I was saying whatever it took to get laid and it worked like a fucking charm because she ate that shit up. Suddenly John Wayne was giving me the wink and the gun and whispering "you're alright kid" as this girl who it appeared did want a dick after all -- MY DICK -- beamed at me with a huge smile.

"Hmmm.... Maybe you're right" she said. "I'm impressed." Well, that was fucking easy. This girl went from thinking she was really a man to embracing her womanhood in less than 10 seconds. 'Damn I'm good.' 'What is even wrong with the world today?' 'I want to embrace her womanhood.' These are the things I think, then: 'Well, this train has left the station. Might as well not stop now.'

"Yeah, of course I'm right!" (Because I'm a man, bitch!) "I mean, who says women can't have mostly guy friends or play outside or not like dresses? No one I want to know. That's exactly the kind of girls I like... mean, you're beautiful and part of it is because of those things that make you you."

She's smiling now, blushing. Gotcha bitch!

Now it's time to add a laugh to that smile.

"Because, if you are a boy, you're the hottest boy I've ever seen. And that would make me gay... and I'm pretty sure I'm not gay. But I'd turn gay for you. Yeah."

She laughs so hard she almost spits coffee on me. It lands on the table.

"Hey, I'm only allowed to spit things on you." (I don't think she heard me or got this reference).

So everything's going great. I put some more icing on my sex cake by telling her: "You know, I never -- and I mean, never -- tell anyone about my past the first day I meet them. But I just feel so comfortable around you. You're not the judgmental type. You're so open & honest. I'm really glad I opened up to you."

I swear I heard her get wet.

We're having a conversation on multiple topics now. I can tell she's into me. I'm waiting for the right moment to say "hey, do you wanna get out of here?" and suggest we go back to my place when the conversation takes a turn for the crazy.

Our discussion enters the political. Dangerous fucking territory to say the least. I strategically make sure I become the listener, nodding and agreeing to all the batshit crazy things coming out of this girls mouth because all I care about is putting things into her mouth.

But then she says something that wakes me up from my bored daze: "I'm a member of this anti-fascist group, called Antifa..." I awoke with such a jolt I think she thought I was having a stroke.

"Whoa you, okay?" she asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine...." playing it off. Now, you have to understand something, this was awhile ago. Before Berkeley or Charlottesville or any of that shit. Basically, at the time, I had only heard of Antifa and knew them from a few videos of their stupidity and attacking random people. "So Antifa, huh? I've of it. Don't you guys wear masks??

"Yeah, sometimes" she says with a laugh. Then it hits me, like a light bulb. I know what I want to say and I have to say it.

"Well, that sucks."

"Why?" she asks, genuinely puzzled.

"Because how am I suppose to cum all over your face if you have a mask on." As I said this I say it completely seriously, looking at her right in the eyes. I'm tired of this useless banter. I want to fuck.

"Oh..." she says, shyly at first, looking away at first, turning red. "Well..." she returns her gaze to mine and with the slightest smile says "I can take my mask off for that."

END PART 2.

(Part 3???)

Dude...

udm

Arcane
Patron
Only on the Codex (and /tg/ I guess) can a thread on Dungeons & Dragons evolve into a steamy anecdote. Can't wait to hear more of it broski! :salute:

GarlandExCon

Arcane

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
playing with fire eh

Oh you have no idea. There's probably at least two more parts to this story until it concluded about 5 months ago.

Which I will post soon.

Oh, wow. I thought this was ongoing.
You sign the book deal, yet?

No, it's not on going, unfortunately and I say that genuinely. But there is still an opening... you'll understand more when I post the rest.

Maybe start a new thread? I don't think this story belongs here, especially if OP still wants to discuss with others about how to get into D&D.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
playing with fire eh

Oh you have no idea. There's probably at least two more parts to this story until it concluded about 5 months ago.

Which I will post soon.

Oh, wow. I thought this was ongoing.
You sign the book deal, yet?

No, it's not on going, unfortunately and I say that genuinely. But there is still an opening... you'll understand more when I post the rest.

Maybe start a new thread? I don't think this story belongs here, especially if OP still wants to discuss with others about how to get into D&D.

Yeah, I'll do that. I'll link to it here once I get to it.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's not continuous (each session is a unique adventure with unique characters and different players), which kinda sucks, but it's something.
That sounds like a decent way to get a grasp of the rules and how a game should play without having to buy anything or do a lot of reading. Pretty good for beginners.

I think that's true, but for experienced players it kinda sucks. It's all very cookie cutter he help new players get into it. The other issue is a lot of kids come to play so you get them wanting to do stupid stuff and making the most craziest suggestions.

*We need to create a distraction to get out of the city because the guards are looking for us*

Kid: Is there a flour warehouse nearby?

Everyone: ...

Kid: Because I think we should light it on fire.

Everyone: ...Haha... No, let's try something that doesn't involve starting a fire.

*5 minutes later after coming up with a plan we walk by a building*

Kid: Can I do a roll to see what kind of building it is?

DM: Yeah, okay.

*kid rolls a 14 on the dice*

DM: It's some kind of warehouse.

Kid: IS IT A FLOUR WAREHOUSE!?
That sounds like most of the parties I've played with. Then again, these WERE 15-17 year olds. DMed by a 30something teacher. Good times.

Old One

Arcane
I really like the advice from The AngryDM. He writes (quite) long, text form posts and has a bit of an "insulting" tone. Usually, each post has a Long Angry Rambling Introduction (tm) which you may skip. Either way, a lot of information can be found in large quantities of text. So if you can stomach it and need some DM advice go for it.

AngryGM said:
Second of all, let me further shoot your confidence down by telling you that absolutely every gaming product that exists sucks. All of them. Every published game and module sucks. Beginner’s boxes? Suck. Starter adventures? Suck. GM guides? Suck. No gaming product is useful to a brand new GM. You have to sort of learn how to GM before you can make use of the tools the games provide.

It's true.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I've gone through countless books with GM advice, and not one has a single useful piece of information for beginners -- information telling you what you need to prepare prior to your first ever game. My first 50 games were GMed like shit, and it was only after getting feedback, sitting on the player's side of the table and trying out new techniques (as well as matching others' advice to mine and my players' own experiences) did I finally begin to see some improvement to the way my games were run. Even then, I'll have days in which my GMing's off, especially when trying out a new system or technique.

Old One

Arcane
FWIW, the first game I ever DM'd was a small dungeon I made myself based off this classic Erol Otus cover art:

Ryj6Rek.jpg

I started by making the cavern with the stairs and the water with a monster in it, then built the rest of the dungeon around it.

Of course, I was about 10 years old at the time, so I can't really recommend it as the best approach.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've gone through countless books with GM advice, and not one has a single useful piece of information for beginners -- information telling you what you need to prepare prior to your first ever game.
The Frank Mentzer 1983 Dungeons & Dragons "Red Box" Basic Set contains extensive support for a beginning Dungeon Master, including a small sample dungeon. The Tom Moldvay 1981 D&D Basic Rulebook pictured above also has similar information, albeit in smaller quantity.

Also, see the AD&D supplement Dungeon Master's Guide 1: Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide, though it isn't specifically aimed at newbies.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the red box on eBay. Might try to get the PDF in the meantime.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The most noob friendly D&Dish game, that I've seen, that gives the GM almost everything they need to run a low-prep session is game called "Beyond the Wall." It gives you a bunch of playbooks and collaborative world-building tools that helps generate interconnected PCs and Adventure hooks based on those connections.

The cool thing is that if you aren't wild about it's specific D20 game mechanics, it's easy to port its methods to just about any other "zero to hero" style game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom