Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
This is fine

20170924105300_1.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing it for a while, heres my experience so far:

- Number bloat keeps being retarded.
- Armor system is a decent addition from a tactical standpoint, it forces you to pick priority enemies and disable their defenses. Spliting it into 2 kinds of armor is retarded tho, it creates more problems than it solves.
- Setting is as bad as ever. Its not the worst setting ever in a video game (that prize goes to numenera), but it feels too detached from reality. its very hard to get invested in whatever the fuck is going on.
- Writing is as bad as always but the fact that the game takes itself a bit more seriously than D:OS does help (a lot)
- Character system in general is too gamey and not very well thought out.
- Combat is more interesting than in the first game.
- Only playing as custom with lohse, im finding her fairly endearing. Companions in general seem decently written and ill probably try a non lone wolf playthrough to see what im missing.
- Quests are horrible, but at least there are a fuckton of ways to deal with most of them.
- Reactivity, havent played a game with this much freedom to do shit since D:OS probably, fun fun.
- Smooth talked some cute vendor while thievery companions steal from her every hour, 10/10.
- Fights are usually very easy with my summoner main and my wizard companion.

Tigranes

Arcane
Level 5 now and wandering the marshes. Enjoying myself so far with the toned down Tactician armour, which seems to balance things alright for now.

A lot of the elements are intact from DOS1 and on the content side the game seems quite solid so far. Mechanically it's hard to figure out what they wanted to do. There are almost no improvements, and the few things they changed it was like they just put the mechanics in a blender.

Seethe

Arbiter
Gotta love the Karon fight. For 5 rounds I am watching the AI fight against the AI because of how much charm the enemy has, and AP to take down my shields from the first round (and of course, they also get the first move, because of course initiative is so important in this game:hahano:). I went to take a shit, returned to see that the battle is over and I'm dead. The shit was far more exciting.

Seriously Larian, get your shit together. You are being fucking retarded.

Also what's the point of repairing armor and weapons if you change them every level? I just found out that there's actually repair in this game.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am playing with that lower level scaling (10% increases in numbers), on Tactician. I am not ready to cry SALVATION yet, but I might.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
This has to be one of the most idiotic things I've seen so far. Punishing the player for taking on content that is higher level than themselves?

4kdvdS.jpg

Also whoever wrote Sebille needs to be shot in the face, I'm really trying to give this character a chance but she is garbage with no redeeming features or qualities. I really struggle to believe that these are the same people who made Dragon commander.

I'm starting to regret this purchase.. this game needs a lot of work on its system and writing.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
After 68 hours of playing finaly finished with Reaper's coast . I was afraid initially that the game would be much shorter than the first one , glad to see I was wrong .

I'm not glad, as half of this time is spent in inventory management:lol:

Half the time is spent watching enemies stand still in combat deciding what to do.

Not even watching animations.

Just standing, pondering, 10 seconds per enemy every round.

Tigranes

Arcane
This has to be one of the most idiotic things I've seen so far. Punishing the player for taking on content that is higher level than themselves?

4kdvdS.jpg

Also whoever wrote Sebille needs to be shot in the face, I'm really trying to give this character a chance but she is garbage with no redeeming features or qualities. I really struggle to believe that these are the same people who made Dragon commander.

I'm starting to regret this purchase.. this game needs a lot of work on its system and writing.

That's very common on any RPG with item levels. Either that or you can't equip it due to the level requirement, whih is worse. Of course, I can't see how having item levels in the first place is a good idea.

Killed Sebille the first chance, she sounded idiotic just like everybody in Dragon Commander.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I memed you, Swen.

You were the chosen one. It was said that you would destroy the plebs, not join them; bring incline to the genre, not leave it in darkness.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't be offended guys (because I don't care anyway) but all these complains, almost whining I can say...
You see, Larian gave me feeling like it is the only devs that actually hear the players and all the feedback, and worked according to it.
I find it difficult to remember if I saw such big company ever at all, which treat players like that.

So, with all you words about how bad new initiative, can you all describe, what should be changed, and how these changes will change the game for the better?
And after that - why they designed new initiative system like that.
Seriously.

once game self-closed because it ran out of RAM (all 16 gb of it)
Yeah, that's why I'm waiting with my 8 Gb.
I heard the more yoy save, the worse the situation, and given that I reload 3-4 times to see what dialogues can offer NPC and saves after that, I got lags even in Fort Joy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- Number bloat keeps being retarded.
- Armor system is a decent addition from a tactical standpoint, it forces you to pick priority enemies and disable their defenses. Spliting it into 2 kinds of armor is retarded tho, it creates more problems than it solves.
- Setting is as bad as ever. Its not the worst setting ever in a video game (that prize goes to numenera), but it feels too detached from reality. its very hard to get invested in whatever the fuck is going on.
- Writing is as bad as always but the fact that the game takes itself a bit more seriously than D:OS does help (a lot)
- Character system in general is too gamey and not very well thought out.
- Combat is more interesting than in the first game.
- Only playing as custom with lohse, im finding her fairly endearing. Companions in general seem decently written and ill probably try a non lone wolf playthrough to see what im missing.
- Quests are horrible, but at least there are a fuckton of ways to deal with most of them.
- Reactivity, havent played a game with this much freedom to do shit since D:OS probably, fun fun.
- Smooth talked some cute vendor while thievery companions steal from her every hour, 10/10.
- Fights are usually very easy with my summoner main and my wizard companion.

Lol seconded at 90%, especially the Numenera comment.
Good point about the armor, my thoughts exactly. The basic idea is good but having just one armor type would be much preferable.
Not on board with well written companions. I'm playing with 4 origins chars and it's a mess. But I DO like the fact you can lose your companions permanently even late in the game if you don't treat them right. I also like the basic concept you compete with them for the godhood and this HAS some serious CC in parts of the game. Very refreshing.
Difficulty curve is kindda fucked up again. On Classic first island is a clusterfuck (on Tactician even worse), every damn encounter is like a boss fight, then the last half of the game is a facestomp. It's even starker than in DOS1.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just reached Driftwood, finally, it was getting irritating how the game kept coming up with plot reasons to postpone it.

It seems more open, at least at first glance. I sold over 6000 worth of items and I'm looking where to spend it on better armor.

The level scaling of armor and weapons feels pretty stupid. I guess it was meant to drive the economy though.

It's full of named NPCs and everyone seems to have a quest, and a personality. Reactivity is shaping up to be this game's strong side more than anything else.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the savegame crash common in act 2?

Here is from my steamforum:

the game crashes when loading save after a certain time. here is how i figured it: - every time i load a save that's made after crossing the bridge (with the troll) to cloisterwood, the game crashes. i tried different methods dealing with the troll (pay full fee, tell a story but not fighting). everything still crash. - i tired auto save, quicksaves, etc every save crashes to desktop exactly when it is "cleaning up level" - the crash doesn't happen when i enter cloisterwood trough th efallen tree trunk. i also have tried verifying files integrity twice still crash everytime i do that certain action my specs:
gtx 1080

i5 4670
windows 10
8 GB RAM

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Could someone help a poor peasant out and buy the game for me?

thepiratebay.org
1337x.to
rarbg.to
Just torrent it and enjoy it like others instead of begging on a internet forum. Or just save up because Larian did okay and kinda deserve the money.

I'ld prefer to get the steam copy for multiplayer and updates/patches and so that's it's compatible with future DLC. I'll buy it eventually.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Difficulty curve is kindda fucked up again. On Classic first island is a clusterfuck (on Tactician even worse), every damn encounter is like a boss fight, then the last half of the game is a facestomp. It's even starker than in DOS1.
I'm level 9 so I'll have impressions soon enough, but it sounds like they only QAd the first half of the game, or maybe just the part that was in the Early Access, hence the tougher fights.

I have not had a single crash for 75 hours of playing the release version:
i7 4790k
Gigabyte GTX780 WindForce
8 GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Last edited:
Rerolled a fifth time, and went with a custom elf lone wolf summoner. No companions yet. But I get a temp companion when need then two teleport casters.
Otherwise almost all combat encounters are a single lone wolf summoner (5 base summoning, with a single point of scoundrel and rest in warfare. got lucky and got rings/amulet/belt giving 1 hydro and 2 aero and 2 necro in total)

Playing this on classic with the reduced bloat mod, mod allowing 3 main summons and the double encounters mod.

Slaughtered all majisters in fort joy prison, exploring halfway the marshes.

PS: the black cat is such a shitty disloyal prick. i took red prince as temp companion for the encounters snd the cat became his summon after leaving fort joy

:rage:

Other than that with these mods and a single lone wolf pc...game seems p. balanced.

Prime Junta

Revised impressions. I took a break for some days and then got back to this. Rolling with two melee, ranger, and caster. Now at level 6, just cleared Fort Joy. I'm warming to this, but it's still mostly :decline: compared to DOS1.

The :incline: :
  • Lots more ways of doing things than DOS1. Like, so many alternative ways to get into the fortress.
  • Writing is less irredeemably dopey.
  • Fort Joy and the swamp feels more like a place and less like a theme park. This in fact IMO is the single biggest :incline: of the sequel so far.
  • At least early on, less obnoxiously awful itemisation. Finding a nice piece of gear feels satisfying; I'm not swamped with the stuff from the get-go, and crafting doesn't totally trivialise it. It's still level-locked RNG loot with a few placed items, mind, which means that it's fundamentally terrible, but this is a noticeably less bad implementation of it. I doubt it'll hold up though.
  • More variety in the character system, and more room for hybrids. Necromancy and polymorph are particularly cool and useful and work well for other classes besides dedicated casters.
  • Tons of secrets to discover.
  • Pretty.

The :decline: :
  • Combat in general. It's not terrible by general industry standards, but it's a giant step backwards from DOS1.
  • The armour system. A big part of the fun with DOS1 was finding a great opening move to combat. Since the armour makes everyone immune to everything, this aspect is completely gone.
  • The nerfed environmental/status effects. Makes the above worse. Once you've got the armour off an enemy, most of the time it's best just to finish the job with more DD.
  • The initiative system. Since it's 1-2-1-2 why even bother pumping initiative on anyone except one guy?
Overall it feels like they identified some issues with DOS1, and then proceeded to attack them in the most brute-force stupid way possible, and ended up with something a lot worse. What kept me going in DOS1 despite the dopey writing, the theme-park worldbuilding, the thin-on-the-ground character system, and the godawful loot system was the combat -- it started out really good and ended up still pretty good, and managed to maintain variety amazingly long with good encounter design; with DOS2 combat is dangerously close to a chore. The good news is that this could be addressed with a rebalance patch.

Still, I'm hooked enough to keep playing.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The :incline: :
  • Lots more ways of doing things than DOS1. Like, so many alternative ways to get into the fortress.
  • Writing is less irredeemably dopey.
  • Fort Joy and the swamp feels more like a place and less like a theme park. This in fact IMO is the single biggest :incline: of the sequel so far.
  • At least early on, less obnoxiously awful itemisation. Finding a nice piece of gear feels satisfying; I'm not swamped with the stuff from the get-go, and crafting doesn't totally trivialise it. It's still level-locked RNG loot with a few placed items, mind, which means that it's fundamentally terrible, but this is a noticeably less bad implementation of it. I doubt it'll hold up though.
  • More variety in the character system, and more room for hybrids. Necromancy and polymorph are particularly cool and useful and work well for other classes besides dedicated casters.
  • Tons of secrets to discover.
  • Pretty.

The :decline: :
  • Combat in general. It's not terrible by general industry standards, but it's a giant step backwards from DOS1.
  • The armour system. A big part of the fun with DOS1 was finding a great opening move to combat. Since the armour makes everyone immune to everything, this aspect is completely gone.
  • The nerfed environmental/status effects. Makes the above worse. Once you've got the armour off an enemy, most of the time it's best just to finish the job with more DD.
  • The initiative system. Since it's 1-2-1-2 why even bother pumping initiative on anyone except one guy?

I... Agree..? Wtf?

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
PS: the black cat is such a shitty disloyal prick. i took red prince as temp companion for the encounters snd the cat became his summon after leaving fort joy

You messed up the cat talked to the red prince when you met him not your character. Lone wolf is the single most useful perk a lone wolf elven archer is top tier useful. Summon is nice because the spells don't require a secondary stat for scaling just level.

Ruzen

Savant
Larian gave me feeling like it is the only devs that actually hear the players and all the feedback, and worked according to it.
I find it difficult to remember if I saw such big company ever at all, which treat players like that.

So, with all you words about how bad new initiative, can you all describe, what should be changed, and how these changes will change the game for the better?
And after that - why they designed new initiative system like that.
Seriously.
First of all, there are many, many big companies listeners to their fans which I seriously don't feel like It needs to be proven but just to trigger some people how about Obsidian? There are many (small & big) things were about to be changed for PoE2: D. People wanted to adjust footsteps and other sounds, they are going to create the sound engine from the bottom just to do that. People didn't enjoy the lurking at skills wiki page just to have a sense of how to progress their characters, we find out now there is an in-game, clear screen, how all the skills and talents progress for each class. Cities were boring & lifeless, now they say they reduced the number of towns & cities but filled them with more stuff. Idle animations, multiclass, party relationships, trash mobs...Most people didn't like the fort so the first thing they did is to destroy that fucker at the announcement trailer.

About the initiative, It is very frustrating to see 2/5 of the attributes are almost useless. Will is due to bizarre initiative. Memory is due to the boring stat which you only put only some when needed. Also, I don't think they designed this, they just simply pushed it back to deal with it after launch. Level-gating(enemies, items, and skills) is another boring mechanic which locks the char progression and exploration very much. Slow animations, watching a "walking" corpse is to end its turn is tormenting my patience. Why I can't backstab with both weapons? Why I can steal anything and everything. Why the game opens more quest or possibilities If I "act" good deeds? Why I have to change my weapons and equipment with every hour passes? Recipe screen is a disaster, why I can't sort the recipes more clear? I don't wanna see 30 versions of dinner. In dungeon master mode I can't even give NPCs a basic patrol order or an animation and can't create premade chars for players. It's not like the game is bad or anything its just have too many little and big frustrating issues. For me, PoE showed its issues after 100hours and first D:OS showed around 80 hours but this game become frustrating like in first 30hours. It's not a sign of they listened to player feedback very much. At least for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom