Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I've mechanically went Save game and fucked up my only slot, instead of loading the slot :argh::argh::argh:
Precisely the reason why I moved quick load to F9 in UAP 2.0. F6 and F7 are just too close and it's so easy to press the wrong button.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Well, he declared that if Grimoire would be released he would suck his dick off so he has a huge debt to pay himself. If he would release UAP 2.0 with features he mentioned this debt could be nullified. He has too much time on his hands anyway (see the reason for him being banned) so he could spend it productively for a change :].

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So after finishing Fallout 2 I thought Arcanum would be the next game to play through, after my initial problems with it.

I'm interested in playing the game in its vanilla resolution with not so different content. Should I install this Multiverse edition, or what?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
To be honest I wanted to play as vanilla as possible but with bugs squashed. I'm not so sure how much of Multiverse is "bugs squashed" and how much of it is "changes to suit our tastes". But this part

In addition, our team performed many small fixes of unknown bugs, improvements and additions for our own patch Multiverse Patch.

is very tempting, so I'm guessing I'll use Multiverse unless someone has objections and knows of a better patch setup.

I don't know why he said "no", but I played the multiverse edition and I can recommend it.

There is only one bug they couldn't fix\bother to fix, but from what I've understood fixing it is too hard.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
The multiverse edition adds extra content, aims to improve the gameplay and the mechanics, etc - you can't call it a "vanilla experience with the bugs squashed".

The UAP simply sqashes the bugs out.

Sigourn, you should consider playing the game in 1280x720 if you have a 1080p monitor.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The multiverse edition adds extra content, aims to improve the gameplay and the mechanics, etc - you can't call it a "vanilla experience with the bugs squashed".

Sigourn, you should consider playing the game in 1280x720 if you have a 1080p monitor.

That's good to know, I don't want "improved gameplay and mechanics". It is one thing to fix a bug or an oversight (like Sawyer's mod for New Vegas does) and thus improve on some things, but I don't want arbitrary changes. I'll stick with the Unofficial Patch then.

deama

Prophet
It's too bad the tech tree doesn't have any motor bikes or zaplings you can build late game-ish to make traveling easier; cause mages get a teleport spell.

Mordivier

Novice
I don't suppose this "multiverse" edition somehow fixes the ending slides glitch where they get skipped or it scrolls incredibly fast?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't suppose this "multiverse" edition somehow fixes the ending slides glitch where they get skipped or it scrolls incredibly fast?

I know that being able to play in a window fixed about all the issues I had, including all movie issues. UAP allows that now too though. Honestly, there isn't much difference between the two. Mechanically they seem identical. Any changes to gameplay the multiverse does must be minor as I can't tell a difference.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I finished a playthrough using the Multiverse Edition a few weeks ago. Ending slides behaved correctly.

It is a great game.

May you share one single piece of content that shouldn't be in the multiverse? Because I'm really curious.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
Hey bro, haven'y you read Sigourn's question? Cuz' I'm sure as hell he wasn't asking us a comparative treaty about the Multiverse additions. He only wanted to know if multiverse were true to the classic experience, and I'm afraid the answer is a big fat no. As simple as that.

Now, I'm not blaming the multiverse modders for trying to fix this (IMO) broken beyond repair gem. It wasn't my point. Sure, you can tweak a bit in order to make the experience somewhat a bit more enjoyable, maybe it'll be a bit more balanced : it won't change the inherent problems of the combats (bad pathfinding, strange AP distribution and so on).

Doktor Best

Arcane
So can anyone break down the benefits of this multiverse edition? Are the changes sensible?

While i like Arcanum, i also aknowledge its a really flawed gem so i wouldnt mind playing a version "untrue" to the original as long as it is an improvement.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Are the changes sensible?
According to Drog Black Tooth no:
Guys, I'm kinda retarded and not following the entire process of Drog taking over the Multiverse Edition mod's thread for himself, so does ME and the new HR patch separated from each other and had to be installed one after the other? Or is there some special steps that has to be taken (kinda like making compatibility patch)?

This Multiverse mod originally started as a Russian language translation project, then they stuffed it with as many mods as they could find online + back-translated the whole thing into English. It's pretty buggy. IMO, no reason to bother with the current (possibly last) version of this thing if you're not a Russian speaker.

Just one example, they didn't understand the way the the UAP patches prototypes, so a lot of items have broken stats. And then their "former" meth head (seriously) modder/project leader decided it would be a good idea to mess with p much every single map location (this blade of grass is 2 pixels off, must fix!) leading to probably numerous fuck ups all over the place.

But who am I to tell anyone what to do with their game.

Doktor Best
Download it, and check the changes on the pdf. I didn't find them as aggravating as painted.

Beside, the only content stuff that I realized were not from the original game, were a beggar out of the first tavern and the fact, if I don't remember bad, that they added actual clothes to inventory npcs (that were painted with clothes but actually had none in the inventory)

I do not have the knowledge of Drog, but I played the multiverse twice, and when I saw bugs I could tell them without hostility and they fixed them.

I played both versions (the one with UAP) and the one with Multiverse, more the UAP.

It's up to you:

> wait (a long time) and go for the new multiverse edition (1.3.1.0) that has (almost) no bugs (I reported a lot of them but it is not yet released)

> play now with UAP.

An addenda: if you wish to play it as close as the original, go for the UAP.

Regards

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm grinding for exp and money before tackling the Black Mines (or whatever they are called).

Am I doing it right? Rock Rats tackled me on a random encounter and fucked my shit up, and I'm already having flashbacks from those fucking golems in my last playthrough. I'm trying to grind to make enough money to suit up my party.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm grinding for exp and money before tackling the Black Mines (or whatever they are called).

Am I doing it right? Rock Rats tackled me on a random encounter and fucked my shit up, and I'm already having flashbacks from those fucking golems in my last playthrough. I'm trying to grind to make enough money to suit up my party.
Meh, just punch them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom