Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

MWaser

Arbiter
Unrelated:

I prefer the fallout-style fast travel to Larian's philosophy of level-gating areas any day. As in D:OS this is the biggest downer for me, plus the UI, but even the shittiest UI is something you can get used to if you have the patience.

Level-gating areas is flat out "I'm forcing you to play areas in that order, because it's easier for me to design this way." The illusion of choice becomes too apparent.

Edit: my point is that Deadfire will have its unique advantages.

Levelgating can be done well in some cases, but it works out better in action RPGs where you can beat enemies significantly stronger than you.

In Divinity you can stilll do that, but by the method of exploiting things, and the sheer amount of difference per level makes it so that you're unlikely to kill things that are more than 1 level higher than you, with this exponential level scaling.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Absolutely. Development is so far in Deadfire that any influence would likely be minor. I think the major take will be community engagement, as evidenced by their most recent video.
What impresses me most about D:OS2 is the amount of reactivity they've put into it. Whatever one's sensibilities and preferences for writing style, the reactivity is more than what I've seen in any game, except maybe AoD, but AoD was, or at least felt, much more constrained and smaller in scale.

Next thing for me is the coherence between visuals, voice, music and storytelling - everything is just the right amount "Fantasy", the right amount of serious-but-not-too-much. This coherence makes it possible to reinvent fantasy cliches - dwarves with a bonus to sneaking and cannibal elves seem a more "natural" thing to this world because the rest of its parts are in place. Contrast that to PoE - "Oh we had to have elves and dwarves and humans, but then we plagiarized and changed a bit some other races, plus souls and abra-kadabra new fantasy setting". This barely worked, at times it obviously doesn't work.

And how it has "something for everybody". Notice that while people here are yammering about questions like initiative, the casuals are overwhelmed by the fact that they can talk to doggies.

Knowing Josh, I think these are the kind of things that impress him as a designer. How good the illusion is.

Finally left 1st island, now in driftwood.
Content seems a bit sparse here compared to fort joy, me thinks.

About the music part.
The current music is not bad, it seems just meh generic fantasy.

Krill's music was memorable to say the least. his best music works was in Dragon Knight Saga. The Sentinel Island theme, or heck even the tribal drumming theme when you engage with goblins in DKS was much more memorable than the generic fantasy music in DOS2.

Sjukob

Arcane
everything is just the right amount "Fantasy"
Strongly disagree . If anything there is way to much fantasy in Divinity .
Red prince being the possible father of new dragons ( depending on how you do his quest ) , the dragonknights themselves , the living ship , the whole godhood plot , the all consuming void ... When I walk into the market in Driftwood and see people chatting about everyday stuff , the with the empire , missing caravans , spoiled fish I feel sympathy to them - THIS is what I want , I want to experience more grounded stuff than insanely over the top nonsense I've just described . Seriously Divinity reaches the new heights in sureal fantasy stuff and this is the main reason I hated the plot in every divinity game I've played .

Finally left 1st island, now in driftwood
The Reaper's coast is BIG I'm 66 hours in and only starting to finish it .

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah Reaper's coast is fucking YUGE, shitloads of sidequests. I only started last island now, and im on 64 hours (Tho I rerolled from classic to tactician half-way in act 2 tho)

Sjukob

Arcane
You know , I've just realised that Red Prince's story is pretty much copypasted from Jahan in the previous game .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/119677-divinity-original-sin-reviews-part-2.html

Eurogamer Essential:

The ability to build your own combat style is key element of Original Sin, and the strategic opportunities it offers is basically a game in itself. But mixing classes is a tricky balancing act, and if you get it wrong and spread yourself thinly, you could be in trouble. Combat can be fiercely challenging, especially if you're a couple of levels below your opponents. Put it this way, I played the game on the "Explorer" mode, because I like RPGs to be more about characters and choices than raw challenge, but I still hit a couple of bumps along the road. One battle I fought in a place called the Blackpits took over an hour, as the game sent wave after wave of oily blobs after me, wreathing the whole area in hellish necrofire that will be burned into my mind for the rest of my life.

Still, the merits of Larian's creative choices outweigh the flaws. I like sniffing out my own solutions to problems, and of all the fights I got myself into, only perhaps ten percent of them were unpleasantly difficult. Partly it's about learning to use the tools available to you effectively, to provide your characters with plenty of skills, to use summons and disabling spells to mitigate the numbers of a larger force. To remember to cast Spirit Vision when you're at what seems like a dead end. Perhaps the biggest challenge in Divinity is not necromancer cults or cryptic puzzles, but learning to experiment with all the available systems.

There's such a wide range of influences visible in Larian's work. Ultima and XCOM are the obvious ones, but there are other moments, such as when you're breaking into a house or searching for a hidden hatch to the basement, that the game suddenly feels more like Thief or Dishonored. The game foremost in my mind while playing, however, was The Witcher 3.

This isn't because of the setting or Divinity's similar ponderings over morality. It's because I thought it would be many years before I played another RPG that was even close to being that rich with choice and charisma. Original Sin 2 has made me question that belief, and I don't think I could give it a higher accolade.​

PC Gamer 92/100:

Original Sin 2’s main quest calls to mind Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, both being races to godhood. The world’s a mess, you see, with monstrous beasties rampaging wherever there’s source magic. And you just so happen you be a sourcerer with a divine calling, born with the ability to wield this powerful magic, talk to the dead and feast on souls. So of course you’ve been hauled off to jail by the corrupt Magisters—the game’s fanatical villains—ostensibly to stop you from ruining the world. What starts off as mission to escape prison spirals into an quest involving gods competing for survival and an evil poised to swallow up the world.

What could have been your typical, high-stakes fantasy quest is elevated by strong writing and voice acting that effortlessly jumps between whimsical and brutally grim. It can be surprisingly touching, too. As tempting as it can be to play the evil arsehole in a game that offers this much freedom, there are a lot of heartfelt moments that you’ll only see if you’re not an arse. That’s why I keep Lohse around. Out of my three companions, she’s the good cop, talking to people like a thoughtful human being instead of an evil undead necromancer.

Larian has also subverted the party dynamic quite a bit. Companions not only assist you while undertaking their own personal quests, they are ultimately your competition, each the chosen hero for their respective divine sponsor. This has an even greater impact in co-op, with each player capable of screwing over their three allies. While you’re shopping or fighting, they might be growing in power, waiting to betray you.

[...]

And it’s that intimidating, ambitious scope, that dedication to player freedom, that makes Divinity: Original Sin 2 so impressive. There isn’t another RPG that lets you do so much. Larian promised a lot, and it has absolutely followed through, crafting a singular game that juggles a bounty of complex, immersive systems, and never drops them.​

IGN 9.6/10:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 may have been designed in the spirit of decades-old RPGs like Baldur’s Gate 2, but that legacy serves only as a foundation for the expansive game Larian has built on top of it. Few other RPGs allow such a wide range of flexibility while also supporting rewarding combat and a powerful story, all in a world that feels alive in the ways it reacts to you and goes about its business without you. It's a rare RPG that I’ll want to play through again and again, driven by the feeling that so many fascinating and surprising paths remain undiscovered, some of which might lead to different outcomes for the NPCs I’ve grown to care about – even the rats. When that happens, you're experiencing something worth remembering, and Divinity: Original Sin 2 will be remembered as one of the greats.​

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Recommended:

There is some tension between the generosity with which everything from character creation to the handling of NPC deaths (no plot armour here; you can kill ’em all without breaking the game) allows freedom of approach, and yet every player is moving toward a conclusion that is mostly set in place. You are, whether you want to be or not, a very special person and no matter how much the game allows you to wriggle on the hook, you can’t escape your destiny.

And I should restate that on the whole the game gives you a lot of wriggle room. From the second act onwards you’re given plenty of flexibility to respec and switch around character builds, so you can approach quests with a full set of options rather than locking yourself into a particular playstyle.

That said, because freedom and flexibility define the game so strongly I do find the occasional restrictions frustrating. Source points, which are at the heart of the story and power the most dramatic and devastating abilities in the game, sometimes seem too scarce, but then with the right skillset they’re too readily available to feel special. And there are times that I’ve missed out on a branch in a side-story because it was obscured by some illogical logic rather than intelligently obscure.

It’s no surprise that a construction as vast and complex as this would have some balance issues, and even though I found my interest in the story waning toward the end, I’m already planning to restart a game I’ve just spent sixty hours playing. Maybe next time I’ll actually feel like a hero come the final curtain. Whatever the case, the destination doesn’t really matter – it’s about the journey, and all those little stories that happen along the way. From its origin stories to its brief emergent narratives, few games let you take part in better tales than this one.​

Windows Central 5/5:

Cooperative multiplayer makes a return appearance in Original Sins 2, except this time, it's vastly improved. Instead of being limited to two players, you can now band together with three other friends for a total of four players working together at once.

In addition, Game Master Mode, a mode in which you can create custom dungeons and other areas, was implemented. This effectively allows you to create an infinite amount of adventures for you and your friends to play. With the Game Master Mode, the only limit to the sheer longevity of Divinity: Original Sin 2 is your own creativity. These can all be downloaded from the Steam Workshop.

[...]

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a polished, well-designed RPG, and through its phenomenal mechanics, astounding art, sound design and fantastic writing, it is sure to revolutionize the modern RPG genre​

Hooked Gamers 9.8/10

Divinity: Original Sin 2 takes what the last game did, and juices it up to levels beyond what the doctor recommends. By maximizing its strengths, and finding new ways to improve on weaknesses, it knocks down barriers and locked doors alike in a power move to rush towards one of my favorite games of the year. Though it does have its flaws in the form of small technical glitches, and one really annoying one where sometimes my characters would stop moving as a party unless I manually did it myself, this is an imperfect gem that manages even in imperfection to put some of my favorite RPGs to shame. Well done Larian Studios, well done!​

Doktor Best

Arcane
Eh, what do you mean by levelgating?

Game gets more and more MMO the more you play it :what:

D:OS was the same way. https://imgur.com/a/uK4zS#0

Isnt levelgating more like applying a hardcap on items and areas? This is simply a graph showing the levelrange of the enemies within an area. You can beat those at lower levels, its just pretty hard as the power curve in D:OS 1+2 is pretty steep.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So here is my opinion this do contain some parts of the game but i shall try to not destroy things for people that are not at that part.

First of all let me start out by saying that i have enjoyed the game, even if there are parts where i want to hit my head against a wall. One of the major issues with the game is the number of bugs related to quests, half my quest log was of quests (in act 2) that i was unable to complete in any way. Trust me when i was done at that part of the game i spent hours trying to figure out if i missed something just walking around, trying to "sleep", "rest" lie down in a bed (for the altar quest) and many other quests that don't say anything.
This includes character arc quests that i'm unable to complete because they simply "end" while miss OP character on the boat complains to me that i'm still not done with them. Achievements are also broken giving me completing for things i never did.

Still i would recommend this game to others if you enjoy this style of games even with its flaws now lets talk about them.

Initiative:
By the gods this entire system makes me want to hang myself. On higher difficulty levels initiative don't work at all vs the major boost all enemies have. However it don't work on normal AND can be a negative thing for you. In one of the more annoying fights in the game (related to the bard Polgara character) the boss character always goes first and to add salt to the wounds, once he transforms into his true form... It SKIPS over your character. Why? Well after thinking about it for a while what happens is that his character is part of the initiative, then he gets "removed" where it then jumps over to your character, However because the boss always goes first it goes back over to the boss character ignoring your turn and allowing the boss to fight.

Not only that i swear the game is actively trying to create a "Player, Enemy, Player, Enemy, Player, Enemy" Situation. It don't always happens but it tries its best to do so thats even when your characters have the same initiative they still get placed at different locations?

Overall i would have preferred some kind of dice based system "roll a 1d20+mods" if your roll is 20 higher then someone you can go again (or something like that) remove the bloat from enemies"

Action Points
My where do one start with this? In a way the streamlining of this makes the game feel better, but this is also where i have another problem with the game (attributes but i will talk about them later), My main and largest problem with them at the moment is that there is no "gain" to higher AP, however i swear that some enemies have like 50 of them. They run across the entire area, Cast 6-7 spells and then end their turn. Add to the fact that they (in most cases they are a boss or a special enemy) always go first. Ugh...
It would be nice if there was some kind of way to use the attributes to increase your max AP, This would also give Attributes some kind of use.

Attributes:
The most boring part of this game. Because they don't do anything. Its the problem with balance over everything causing none of the stats to have any real use... "5%dmg" well my gods... That sounds interesting! But its not... In a way why do we have attribute points if they are not going to do anything? Yes yes i know you can make a melee character with 100str that will cleave the world in a hit. But what i'm saying is that its "boring" i don't need to think or plan on what to do with my character. Giving stats more things like: Crit, Crit damage, Movement, AP, Summoning creature strength, ability power up and more would make it more interesting.

Conversation / Story / VA:
First of all the "3rd person talking" is annoying. No more is needed to say about it.
The VA have its up and downs where some are of very good quality and others you sit there and cringe... While i'm fine with having a narrator with voice acting i think i would have preferred the voice to be more... how should i put this... mature? older? Not so young?

Story the game goes from ok this is interesting and then slowly downhill overtime. The last part of the game the game goes and throw 3 curve balls at you and then goes "hahaha i bet you did not see that one" Honestly i was not to shocked at this point of this.

The only thing i can say i would like to see parts of the story remade... i know they tried but i'm starting to think that larian can't write a good story if their life depends on it.

And the last part is:
BALANCE:
I think the powercreep of the game is way way to high. Moving from one act to another can increase the stats on items by 1.5-2.5 times. Even if it was not to much of a problem for me due to my character 7-10 "lucky" (had so much gear i did not know what to do with all of it). You start with... 30-80 health? And at end game you have 11 000 to 26 000? Damage goes from 4-14 to 400-10 000.

Items are boring and there are no "fun" or interesting ones around in the world.
Mages feel broken and weak, the enemy mages are more powerful because they dont "care" and just nuke everything.
The enemy will also kill themself just to kill you (bad ai), in other words they will run past two melee characters (killing themself) just to get to the mage in the back.

This was just a quick write up on what i have problem with and there for don't contain the things i enjoy with the game. Last parts got shorter because i have to go :D
I would still recommend this to people and i enjoyed it overall, its just some feedback so ofc its going to be negative.
\o

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is it true that Glass Cannon perk is retarded as enemies know that we got it, so they focus character with it?

I wouldnt be surprised if Larian implented such a feature on higher difficulties. On tactician, the enemies seem very knowledgeable and avoid hitting Fane with poison for example. Didnt dare to take glass cannon because of that.

But isnt that exactly what people asked for? Better AI on higher difficulties instead of simple stat bloat?

Vibalist

Arcane
Is it true that Glass Cannon perk is retarded as enemies know that we got it, so they focus character with it?

I wouldnt be surprised if Larian implented such a feature on higher difficulties. On tactician, the enemies seem very knowledgeable and avoid hitting Fane with poison for example. Didnt dare to take glass cannon because of that.

But isnt that exactly what people asked for? Better AI on higher difficulties instead of simple stat bloat?

I'd say there's a difference between good AI and cheating AI.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Better AI on higher difficulties instead of simple stat bloat?
AI with knowledge of a god is not a better AI, that's cheating.

Late game it becomes obvious that the AI has more AP(s) than the player.

Edit: Also I think they patched Restoration spells on Fane. It happened mid-game but it did not happen anymore after the last patches.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, I have one question about C&C in this game. Did anyone NOT do quest for paladins in Act 2?
In Arx, game makes you think that because of that quest, Paladins raided barracks and killed all magisters. Is that true or is it just another moment of sleight of hand?

I didn't do it coz I accidentally sold (or dropped) the owl whistle. Again, chucking quest items because of inventory bloat....

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Sex conversation with Fane is retarded. I could ignore it, but dialog tree is retarded.
Three options:
1. Keenly agree
2.Agree
3. Disagree by insulting him and losing some friend points.

What the fuck this game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw, I have one question about C&C in this game. Did anyone NOT do quest for paladins in Act 2?
In Arx, game makes you think that because of that quest, Paladins raided barracks and killed all magisters. Is that true or is it just another moment of sleight of hand?

I didn't do it coz I accidentally sold (or dropped) the owl whistle. Again, chucking quest items because of inventory bloat....
You can just report it to leader paladin.

Tell what happens in Arx.

I can't comprehend how you people sold quest items. The only thing I ever sold was outdated gear, gear I had no use for, and shit like gold plates. Money scrounging only matters up through the first half of Driftwood. After that point you should be swimming in money or at least have enough to upgrade your weapon and chest piece for everyone. The majority of your armor comes from the chest (unless you also rock a shield). It's even crazier that people dropped quest items. That's next level stupidity and I have no sympathy for it, you have 4 characters and broad item filters that tighten up search parameters enough for an idiot millennial like myself to handle it.
Also, if you can't survive a few tough combat encounters with low armor, maybe you need to restart on a lower difficulty :positive:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
AI with knowledge of a god is not a better AI, that's cheating.
Your character has that same knowledge (how much armor and shield your opponents have). They're playing by the same rules you are here.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That damn scarecrow fight outside driftwood.

Got trough it finally by rushing and killing that damn leader of em. The problem is pretty much the terrifying aura that disable your party members and i only have 1 person with clear mind

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Anyone else playing coop experiencing disconnects? For the last 2-3 days we can't go on for longer than 30 minutes without disconnecting, and once it happens it tends to happen again every 5 minutes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can just report it to leader paladin.

I've tried. He just says "I have not received your owl yet" or some such. Seems you HAVE to use that damn whistle when you've done with the Blackpit docks house.

On an unrelated note.

Why am I forced to slow-walk in the pocket dimension?

WHY?

WHYYYYYYYYYY?

THE FUCK?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom