Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

Arnust

Savant
Unlike FTL, Into the Breach is not a game about storytelling. In the 16 hours I’ve played of a unfinished, prerelease build, not once did I feel any kind of emotional attachment to my squad. And that’s partially intentional. “In FTL, that sort of storytelling was one of the most important design elements,” Ma says. “For Into the Breach, it’s more about the systems and how they interact.”

So I guess they decided to cut out whatever parts of it that they hired Avellone for?
I don't think that it's as much as having less/worse writing as just how less attached to units you get, conveyed naturally by gameplay. More than your hearty crew, they seem to be an extension of you, as if it were. Most of FTL's "Storytelling" was diegetic and came from how runs happened, added to the (I find) actually smaller lore backing it. Something as simple as making the gameplay less RNG based very well might have made that change all by itself.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think that it's as much as having less/worse writing as just how less attached to units you get, conveyed naturally by gameplay.

That makes sense, and I'm not saying anything against the game at all. I'm eagerly awaiting it. But I expect that if someone is hiring Avellone, it's to do more than just write 50 variations of "the aliens are here, let's go kill them".

Or if I'm going to be completely honest, I'm just trying to stir up shit with all the MCA fanboys here as a way of seeking attention and I'm really disappointed that I haven't gotten much yet. It's been hours already. Come on, somebody challenge me to a duel already.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That battle gameplay video seriously has to be one of the most boring things I saw recently. At least they nailed the aesthetics they're going for (portable jap tactical games).

Arnust

Savant
The tester sure took his sweet time. Seems to just have done the tutorial, according to the first few seconds with the world map. At least you get to see how he's getting more comfy and using new tricks, like throwing bugs off gaps or the Sand-Smoke tile effects.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I expect that if someone is hiring Avellone, it's to do more than just write 50 variations of "the aliens are here, let's go kill them".
Avellone doesn't want to just write, he wants to do gameplay. That's one of the reasons he left Obsidian: he was pigeonholed in a role he didn't want to be exclusive to.

Yeah yeah I know, citation required; I'll let someone less drunk do that. But he said so in more than one post-Obsidian interview.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought Avellone did a tiny part of the first game, not write literally all of the dialogue boxes. Anyway sad to see that FTL was just a fluke and they can't catch amazingness twice.

Arnust

Savant
I thought Avellone did a tiny part of the first game, not write literally all of the dialogue boxes. Anyway sad to see that FTL was just a fluke and they can't catch amazingness twice.
Avellone joined in for Advanced Edition. I don't think there's a straight indication of what he did exactly but there's this:
  • New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
They already had a good writer who helped with most if not all of the bulk of writing so MCA was kinda redundant and more of marketing, I guess.

As for being a fluke, I think they're just being honest. Yes, it's not going to be such a hitm, it has no Kickstarter campaign, it's not inventing a genre or making a modern classic this time, but would it be much better that they said "THIS GAME IS AMAZING IT WILL BE 100x TIMES BETTER THAN FTL BUY IT NOW" instead?

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like the idea on the assumption there's a lot of meat and bones we haven't been shown yet.

Fairfax

Arcane
But I expect that if someone is hiring Avellone, it's to do more than just write 50 variations of "the aliens are here, let's go kill them".
This is MCA's role:

What I'm doing is...

(Matthew and Justin are Matthew Davis and Justin Ma, the Subset Games/FTL duo).

- Into the Breach Lore (world and corporation design, including naming sections of the islands and sometimes suggesting weapon and technology developments). This is done in tandem with Justin and Matthew (they have specifics they like for some of the corporations).
- Writing pilot text and mission text (which is given by the heads of the corporations). The actual missions are designed by Matthew and Justin, however, I just do the writing pass over it using the voice of the corporation leader.
- Suggesting reactivity and voice responses for the pilots (in tandem with Matthew and Justin) - for example, when it's appropriate for a pilot to respond to an event, how they respond to it, and how we script the event reaction and the pacing of it.
- ...and any other way I can. :)

It's not a lot of work throughout the year (similar to FTL:AE), but it's definitely a lot of fun. I offered to work for free again, but Matthew and Justin offered to compensate me this time around (although to be fair, as thanks for working on FTL:AE, they gave me an iPad mini, which is now in my niece's happy hands).

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly it's slow because the guy that is playing is infuriatingly stupid. You'd guess that by the third turn he would have learned a bit how each attack works... But nooooooo gotta move the same unit 32453 times until we find the spot that works...

orcinator

Liturgist
Into the Breach might be small in scope, but it reimagines turn-based strategy in a big way.

I hate it already.

Not gonna give any more time to the PCgamer preview because it seems retarded but I'm getting the feeling like it's another attempt by westerners to make some sort of SRPG type deal, but also make it super fucking shallow. Kinda like that hueland super sentai game.

Arnust

Savant
DKZWJNTXUAAFV-9.jpg

:bounce:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It took me dozens of hours to beat FTL on easy difficulty, and even after sinking in dozens more, I’ve never beaten it on normal.

I’ve never beaten it on normal

never beaten it on normal

Steven is PC Gamer's contributing editor

Games Journalism
To be fair "normal" in FTL can be quite challenging unless you already know the game really well.

Well "dozens and dozens of hours" kinda implies that you should know the game well... :D

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've got 34 hours in FTL and I still lose the boss fight on easy mode more often than not. Beating it on normal mode is an accomplishment, not just something you can expect from everyone writing about games.

Arnust

Savant
Cheez guy, calm down. In what 95% of the playtime of FTL resides is in TRYING to get there. That's where all the content is and what you'll be seeing. Some will always be trying out stuff and also mods semi idly with say, podcasts on, like I do. And others will make runs very occasional to avoid getting burnt, so their learning experience gets reset almost every time. Easy only adds scrap rewards and lowers enemy scaling. That's it. RNG still can bend you over mainly via events and drops.

It's not some test of might, they're having fun the way they want. There's no one we have to prove something to.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If you are repeatedly losing the rebel flagship battles on easy, you are doing something seriously wrong. .

Bitch please. I have couple hundred hours in FTL, and there's still no way I could beat flagship on easy every time. It's a great game but it is extremely dependent on RNG in regards to drops, events, combat, gear availability, not to mention one rocket that goes through in an unfortunate moment can still fuck up even the best of plans.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've got 34 hours in FTL and I still lose the boss fight on easy mode more often than not. Beating it on normal mode is an accomplishment, not just something you can expect from everyone writing about games.
If you are repeatedly losing the rebel flagship battles on easy, you are doing something seriously wrong. .

Bitch please. I have couple hundred hours in FTL, and there's still no way I could beat flagship on easy every time. It's a great game but it is extremely dependent on RNG in regards to drops, events, combat, gear availability, not to mention one rocket that goes through in an unfortunate moment can still fuck up even the best of plans.
Or maybe you are not very good at the game? Or playing with the shitty ships?

Beowulf

Arcane

Who do you write for? Ever considered writing a review of a RPG game for the Codex?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/27/into-the-breach-preview-tactics/

Kaiju & mechs clash in ace FTL follow-up Into the Breach

intothebreach1-620x312.jpg

Any studio with a debut as strong as FTL might well be wary of that Difficult Second Album syndrome. How do you follow up a game so idiosyncratic and widely adored without risking disappointment? The answer, it turns out, is with a kaiju vs giant mech tactical masterclass.

We’ve been playing Into the Breach.

Adam: Cards on the table. Into the Breach is one of the best things I’ve played this year. It’s not out yet and we’re all having a big early look at an incomplete version, but it feels pretty much ready for release bar a few placeholder graphics and possible balance issues. The point is, this isn’t a preview build as such – it’s the full game, more or less, and I love it.

It’s a game of tiny, one-screen tactical maps, and short battles. A handful of turns. And I can’t stop playing it, over and over and over and over. We’re all loving it, right?

Brendan: I like the plot. You’re a bunch of time-travelling mech warriors who must defend the earth from gargantuan insects. It’s basically Edge of Tomorrow meets Pacific Rim.

Graham: It’s so smart, so good at creating tense little situations, at presenting you with every bit of information you need, at creating the sense that there’s always a way out of whatever terrible situation you’re in.

I feel like we should describe the mechanics. For starters: it’s turn-based, but not straightforwardly. At the beginning of each round of turns, you’re shown what the enemies are going to do on their turn. This giant beetle is going to charge this skyscraper; this [thing] is going to spew acid at this power plant; this giant squid is going to undulate strangely. You then have the opportunity to decide how you’re going to move, and when you hit End Turn, your actions happen first. It becomes, therefore, a game about interruptions. Shove that giant beetle to the side so his attack misses the skyscraper and hits his squidmate, position your mech to block that acid attack and save the power plant, etc.

intothebreach2-620x339.jpg

Matt: I love how each turn starts out seeming like it’s going to be an absolute disaster. Your main goal is to protect the buildings on each level, and each one that gets destroyed knocks down your energy level in a way that’s roughly equivalent to losing hull points in FTL.

So at the start of a turn, you might be facing five or six separate threats – and you only have three mechs to deal with them. It might seem insurmountable at first, but then you realise that if you use your artillery to just knock that unit there it’ll simultaneously dunk one bug straight into the water, move another one so that it blocks the incoming fire of a separate threat and move one of your mechs into range to punch that last insectoid into oblivion.

Brendan: It’s very chessy. You start to look at rows and squares, thinking: “How do I lock down that area?” or “If I put my artillery robot along here, he can target this whole stretch of land”. When some laser-armed robots joined the fray, with the ability to fire a laser in a long, straight line, I thought: “Oh no, these are the rooks.” It even has a board that is 8 x 8. Maybe that’s an accident. But maybe it is really clever.

Adam: I’m contractually obliged by my BRAIN and SOUL to mention Invisible, Inc. It’s a lot like Invisible, Inc., while simultaneously being an entirely different kettle of kaiju. What’s similar is that I can spend so long mulling over the consequences of a single move – it’s amazing, because it shows you the consequences. There are no dice rolls, no random elements beyond the actual layouts and enemy placements. It gives you all the data and then you have to figure out how to make use of it.

intothebreach3-620x328.jpg

Graham: I think if I read about smarts, and turns, and seemingly-impossible situations, and FTL, I’d be thinking, “Oh no, this game is really hard.” But I’ve been surprised by how forgiving and generous it is. You can undo any mech movement you make until you commit to an attack; in each battle, you can fully reset a turn once; there’s a turn timer, but it’s counting down to you winning and the enemy retreating.

In every element, it’s more forgiving than it initially appears. Your mech pilots can die, but you can continue to use the mechs in later missions only without their XP bonuses. You can take as much mech damage as you like and they’ll always be back at full health at the start of the next mission. It lets you set your own difficulty in some decisions, too: you always have a choice of at least two missions to take next,and their difficulty is made clear beforehand, and the rewards aren’t substantially better for taking the harder challenges. Heck, even the endgame is accessible. There are four islands, but you can attempt the final mission after completing just two of them and that mission scales to your squad’s current level. All of these things have meant that I reached the final mission on my second attempt. I got creamed on that mission, but it doesn’t feel like a game about grinding out deaths until you work out the one best build, in the way FTL started to feel.

intothebreach8-620x330.jpg

Brendan: WHAT. It’s hard, man. At least, normal mode is. It has the undo button and the “one reset per turn”. But the challenge of keeping your energy levels up is as tough as keeping a hull waxed and polished in FTL. I don’t know how you reached that final mission so fast. I’ve died so many times to bothersome arachnids, I forget what the face of my first mech pilot looks like.

Adam: Into the Breach is easy; Brendan is terrible at games.

BUT no. I don’t think it’s easy, but forgiving is a good word. It gives you lots of opportunities to rethink and recalculate before committing to a move. And it’s important that your mechs aren’t actually all that valuable. You’re protecting the human population (or robots sometimes) and they’re in city tiles. If they take too many hits, it’s game over. Mechs never really die, as Graham says, you just lose the pilots. So there’s this whole other tactic of using your mechs as shields, protecting the cities. Again, it’s a bit chess-like, this idea of sacrificing one piece to save another. The cities are the kings.

Brendan: And the pilots are the pawns :(

intothebreach7-620x332.jpg

Matt: I think the first mechs you get given might be one of the weaker sets, which doesn’t help with the initially punishing difficulty. They’re simple to use, though I found myself in more situations where there was nothing to do to prevent armageddon. It also has that thing where underperforming at the start can set you back massively – whenever I lose a pilot, and the special advantages they provide, I start another game. Though maybe I’m just a baby who can’t commit to my failures.

Adam: It definitely gives you the simplest mechs first, rather than either the worst or the best. They’re not the easiest option in terms of blasting through the game, but they’re the easiest to understand. One shoots in a straight line, one punches, one launches artillery. – and I should point out that as you unlock new three-mech squads, you can also mix and match mechs.

Matt: You can WHAT.

Brendan: I also did not know this.

Adam: Yeah! Go to the squad list and hit randomise, then just keep hitting it if you don’t like the squad you get. I’m not sure if you can just drag them in and out, but you can definitely mix up the classes and squads using that randomise button.

My point is, it’s a game that increases in complexity as you unlock stuff, but it’s the complexity of what you can do, so instead of just punching or shooting, you’re ejecting smoke that prevents baddies from attacking, or pushing and pulling enemies around the map without actually damaging them. And then there are pieces of equipment that change the way scenery and weapons work. The islands get more complex too, throwing in a third faction in the form of robots that have lost their artificial minds and attack EVERYONE. And half the time you have to defend them, even though they’re trying to kill you.

It keeps adding these new wrinkles without losing the simplicity of its tiny maps and brief missions.

intothebreach6-620x342.jpg

Matt: Yeah, I love how the different mechs and maps make you look at the battlefield in completely different ways. My favourite at the moment is Robotic Judoka, which is fronted by a dude whose signature move is picking up bugs and chucking them up and over his head. Sometimes that’s into the incoming fire of another insect, sometimes it’s straight into a pool of acid. It’s always awesome.

Brendan: I like the mech who farts electrifying smoke when he launches a missile. If there’s an insect in the smoke, it can’t attack because it’s blinded by the electric stink. And it gets damaged too. This too makes you think about rank and file, while also keeping in mind the capabilities and weaknesses of your units. Where are they most useful? Where are they most vulnerable? For me, Into The Breach is a disciple of Advance Wars. And that’s brill.

Adam: There’s definitely something of the Advance Wars about it. I think the big difference, beyond the predictability of the enemies, is in the way objectives work. There are always multiple objectives – defend a train or a certain building, kill a certain number of monsters etc – but the only one that you have to accomplish is survival. After the turn limit is hit, the baddies always retreat and anything else you do along the way is just for bonus points to upgrade or heal the power grid (which is your persistent health meter across missions).

It means every mission is very tight and controlled (and, yes, I know that’s true of Advance Wars, but this is even TIGHTER). You don’t have to worry about moving units from one part of a map to another or capturing facilities. It’s absolutely a short-form game. Even a full successful run can take less than an hour and individual missions are miniature.

intothebreach5-620x336.jpg

Graham: I agree with both Advance Wars and Invisible, Inc. comparisons. The third game it makes me think of is Unity of Command, which similarly condenses expansive battles and complex tactics into these pocket missions. But where Unity of Command conveys the miserable, inch-by-inch progress of the eastern front, Into The Breach seems bent towards making you feel smart. I agree – it’s not an easy game. But I do think it’s a game that wants you to have a good time and to do incredible things and to win against the odds.

Brendan: It’s a clever diorama of alien war. I like it. I am sad that nobody reading our chat can play it yet. When can they play it, Adam?

Adam: Early next year is what I’ve heard. Hopefully that means a couple of months from now. I want everyone to have a chance to play it because it is not only great, it’s also one of those games I’d show to people who don’t like all my big, off-puttingly interfaced strategy games and say, “this is what I like. This is it”. It’s pretty, it has really fun writing (the leaders of the various islands are great personalities) and the whole alien vs mech theme is delightful.

intothebreach4-620x311.jpg

Matt: For me, Into The Breach is a game where I’ll sit back for up to five minutes while I think through every possible move I can make, then leap into action with a 30 second spree of convoluted chain reactions that reconfigure the board from a disaster into a bug-on-bug massacre. I come out of it feeling like a tactical genius, in a similar way to Invisible Inc.

I’ve already thwarted the insects once with my judo-bots, but unlike with other games I still feel like there’s loads left to do. I want to try and win after only completing two islands, and then unlock every squad of mechs and win with those too.

Into the Breach is out early next year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom