Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Every explanation as to why you lose your powers would've been contrived, so I was thinking that when en route to the Archipelago to answer the message you received from the VTC you stumble upon a sea biawac. You know biawacs? The thing that showed up once and was never mentioned again? Yeah, that, but a sea one. You manage to hold onto your soul due to your Watcher powers, but it effectively resets you to factory settings due to the strain it caused you to do it, or as a byproduct of the soul-shearing capability of the biawac, whatever. Then we can be in a shipwreck caused by the storm, losing all our gear in the process. They can say that they are "arc events", kinda like arc words, but an event.

Parabalus

Arcane
The setup for Deadfire is good. A god munching on your tasty soul both to resurrect himself and to nerf you is two birds with one pretty unique stone.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every explanation as to why you lose your powers would've been contrived, so I was thinking that when en route to the Archipelago to answer the message you received from the VTC you stumble upon a sea biawac. You know biawacs? The thing that showed up once and was never mentioned again? Yeah, that, but a sea one. You manage to hold onto your soul due to your Watcher powers, but it effectively resets you to factory settings due to the strain it caused you to do it, or as a byproduct of the soul-shearing capability of the biawac, whatever. Then we can be in a shipwreck caused by the storm, losing all our gear in the process. They can say that they are "arc events", kinda like arc words, but an event.
Biawacs were not only mentioned but their cause explained by the end of the game. I skipped reading most of the "dialogues" - long expositions that is - because of how unbearable they were, but even I know that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I remember no such thing and I finished playing it a week ago. You mention at the beginning that you are a survivor of a biawac, but that's it. It's not important and is quickly swept under the rug.

EDIT: I googled it and people are saying they are caused by Thaos operating the machines (with no citation). I don't remember anything like that being mentioned. It's also weird since they are known to have existed before Thaos started collecting souls, unless he's been collecting them for centuries and every biawac is his doing.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, yes. The biawacs were a natural occurrence, it was the Engwithan machines that were used for evil purposes.

Sannom

Augur
Again with the whole "the gods aren't real" nonsense. They ARE, no matter how they came into being, it doesn't change their place in the cosmos in the slightest. They have tangible presence and power in Eora, clearly being able to influence their domains.
The fact that the gods aren't real gods cannot be dismissed like this. Aside from the fact that it removes a lot of their mystique and legitimacy, it also brings up the question "Can we do it again? And maybe this time, have all this power wielded by a real person rather than artificial consciousnesses?".

A "glaive" is anything with a blade and a long shaft really, it isn't a particularly descriptive term.
In French, a glaive is specifically the short swords wielded by some Roman legionaries.

You know biawacs? The thing that showed up once and was never mentioned again? Yeah, that, but a sea one. You manage to hold onto your soul due to your Watcher powers, but it effectively resets you to factory settings due to the strain it caused you to do it, or as a byproduct of the soul-shearing capability of the biawac, whatever.
That's the set-up of the story as it is too, you know, except the Biawac happens on land, centered on your castle. Or did you maybe fail to notice all the people who had their souls ripped out of their bodies in the announcement trailer, just as Eothas was rising?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The fact that the gods aren't real gods cannot be dismissed like this. Aside from the fact that it removes a lot of their mystique and legitimacy, it also brings up the question "Can we do it again? And maybe this time, have all this power wielded by a real person rather than artificial consciousnesses?".

Why is their mystique important? How is their legitimacy undermined? And, yes, we can do it again, Magran, Galawain and Abydon even want this to happen. They aren't artificial consciousnesses, they are an amalgamation of real ones. We have no reason to believe it's possible to create a god with only a single being. Either way, they are essentially singular beings, they aren't each a hive-mind.

That's the set-up of the story as it is too, you know, except the Biawac happens on land, centered on your castle. Or did you maybe fail to notice all the people who had their souls ripped out of their bodies in the announcement trailer, just as Eothas was rising?

Eothas effectively ate your soul, it's not like a biawac. The trailer probably only recycled already available assets. It doesn't really matter, though, my idea was circumventing Eothas altogether while still being the same character and being reset to 0, in both gear and power.

The Bishop

Cipher
Can't quite tell if that's chipped stone/flint on that blade, or if it's a sawfish sword like these:

https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26733&view=previous
(can't link images from MA, unfortunately)

A05651_i.jpg

540x360.jpg

Looks more like flamberge/wavy blade sword to me.

Kris4_BladeArt61.jpg

Thematically consistent with the region too.

Sannom

Augur
Eothas effectively ate your soul, it's not like a biawac. The trailer probably only recycled already available assets.
Have you seen that trailer? Everyone in the castle and around had their soul munched on! I very much doubt that Eothas singled out the Watcher, it's more likely that he survived because his Watcher powers enabled him to resist the effects of the Biawac.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sawyer says the sword is a spear. Let's please repeat the oonga-boonga discussion, armed with this new information. :P

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
These guys must've cried when Deadliest Warrior was cancelled.
I sure did, even though season 3 was lame. :cry:

The Bishop

Cipher
Sawyer says the sword is a spear. Let's please repeat the oonga-boonga discussion, armed with this new information. :P
Well, it could have been a soul essence enriched adra infused dildo for all we know. Fantasy settings don't always care to account for practical aspects of weapon construction or use.

Lacrymas

Arcane
37104F1900000578-3732836-image-a-2_1470817697032.jpg

Literally.

About the Priest/Druid spell choice thing - I predict having 1, maximum 2 good spells per level which everyone picks and everything else being forgotten.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Duration-based abilities see increased duration.

Is this a good idea? Seems like they will have to make durations short at low levels to keep them from being OP at the end of the game. Frankly I don't want a gimped blinding strike or knockdown when it's the only special thing I have to use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom