Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Can we at least agree on what this game succeds at?

This is a good question. But does it succeed at anything?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oh hey cloaked figure tried to do a drive-by on me with his Benz vessel

he also made me go allahu akbar

this whole ship battle scenario was...

yeah it was dumb

this game is really dumb :/

Renfri

Cipher
This is it, question of the game (ENDING SPOILER):
What can change..
aa0de8605765333.png

tripedal

Augur
So far the biggest weakness of the game for me is the way power scales with level. The curve is too steep, and leaves very little room for tactics to overcome stat differentials.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Game is not as good as DOS1, but it's nowhere near bad. Still fun, good quests, etc. I guess the cons (shitty itemization, level is everything) look worse now that they sorta neutered a lot of combats' element in the name of :balance:

So D:OS 1 pre EE is the best still?

The least shit, yes.

What did the EE change to make it worse?
Removed all of the voice acting- even the half enjoyable stuff to replace it with the awful voices that D:OS2 is similar to.
Neutered a lot of skills in the name of :balance:
Quest Markers

Those were just the bits I immediately noticed when I tried starting a new game in EE before I quickly uninstalled it out of disgust.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If every gamign journalist in the world wasn't breathlessly anointing the game as the best rpg evuh, I'd probably be less annoyed by it. As it stands, I think it's a somewhat pretty game with ok but unbalanced combat, good music, shitty writing, shitty voiceacting, and a surprising lack of polish (in terms of UI/UX and the bugs I've encountered). I've also stopped playing for now to see if they make will at all useful in the future.

Renfri

Cipher
Ending slides managed to have issues, missing voice line, bumping back and forth telling about X then Y and again about X. Whole thing felt little bit rushed.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
A chicken with the name of a Jimi Hendrix's song, Larian respects nothing. But something strange is happening to me : I start to get used to the fully voiced dialogues. Comes to enjoy it actually. English is not my mother tongue, so I'm less demanding in that matter but still, some voices are good. Well... animal's mostly.
Not the narrator though, and I still don't get the necessity of a voiced narrator anyway.

On another note I really struggle to find a skill that synergize well with necromancy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/22/divinity-original-sin-2-best-things/

Things I want to celebrate about Divinity: Original Sin II
John Walker on September 22nd, 2017 at 5:00 pm.

divinty-best-things12.jpg

While Adam has the definitive word in his Divinity: Original Sin 2 review, I’ve found myself unable to stop playing in every spare moment, and jotted down some of the very many things that make this game stand out, make it feel so very special. Below I celebrate its extraordinary replayability, the joy of moving furniture, and hideous undulating flesh blobs.

Its Smashing
divinty-best-things03.jpg

Sure, lots of games let you smash stuff. In fact, a game that doesn’t let you smash stuff is verboten. But few let you smash stuff in order to meddle with its plans.

DOS2 offers you the most extraordinary amount of freedom when it comes to just how much you can muck about within its world. Famously you can kill absolutely anybody in the game, and still finish its main quest. Just think about the logistics of that – there’s never a moment where killing one particular person sees the story crash into a wall, or forces a reload because it doesn’t allow its threads to come together later. But on a smaller scale, it lets you break or move an enormous number of things for much more minor detail.

This isn’t a game where there are “secrets” hidden in every room. It’s just a game where, if you take it upon yourself to beat the ever-loving shit out of that bookcase, you may well find you can access a crumbled tower and a useful treasure chest within. Or you may find a wall. It’s not fussed, it’s not telegraphing these things, and it’s behooves you to think, “Hmmm, I wonder what might happen if I pick up that enormous painting and put it over there?” Nine times out of ten, nothing! One time, maybe something fancy, maybe access to an empty box.

The point is, smashing past some crates for the hell of it isn’t rewarded by some mechanism, rearranging the furniture isn’t a primary feature, it isn’t something you can game. It’s just that sometimes, like in life, if you look behind a curtain you might spot something interesting. Which brings us to…

It Likes It When You Cheat
divinty-best-things07.jpg

I think the best example of this comes with the Gargoyle’s Maze. So yes, weeny spoiler in this illustration, but let me stress this is a non-vital part of the first chapter of the game – nothing that’s going to ruin your day.

This is a maze of ruined walls, the entrance guarded by a gargoyle who gives you a coded warning on arrival that escape isn’t going to be so simple, and that souls must be sacrificed. To get past him the easier way, he implies you’re going to need a special ring. So you can go in and puzzle your way through, go off to hunt for that ring (I’ve never found it, still not sure if it’s a bluff), or…

Or you can cheat. The maze is on some higher ground, a short way from the shore. A shore that has the entrance to a peculiar cave, with its own mess of puzzles and bizarreness inside. The cave, it turns out, proves an excellent distraction from another nifty idea. Because the game also has a teleport spell. One of the four million side quests introduces you to some gloves with the ability, and one of your characters may well pick it up if they’ve Scoundrel talents – having two characters with it is the ideal, because then you can relay your team across to otherwise impassable clifftops in turn. Or indeed, as it turns out, from one little stretch of beach over some unclimbable rocks, to another!

divinty-best-things13.jpg

I only stumbled on this via nosy exploring, no greater purpose in mind. But once on this otherwise inaccessible secluded beach, after a spot of sunbathing, watching the waves and what have you, there are vines that let you scramble a route up the cliff faces. And get to the top, poke around enough, and you’ll find a little door that lets you sneak into the cave from the rear. You’re in!

Making this even more lovely, the Gargoyle snarls at you about what a cheaty cheat you are, but acknowledges it’s rather in the spirit of the maze’s creator, Braccus Rex, so you get away with it.

Indeed, making judicious use of teleports allows you to really quite spectacularly cheat the rest of the maze, too. And what makes this so fine, so much more than just the game offering multiple routes to the same objective, is to do it you need to mischievously use a tool at your own behest, rather than follow breadcrumbs or have it hinted toward. It’s your own discovery, even though of course it’s been carefully made possible once you’ve found it, and as a result feels much more special.

The Mutant Flesh Blobs
divinty-best-things09.jpg

A real favourite thing about DOS2 is that there’s not a moment of what I’ve played so far that could be described as “grimdark”. In fact, to describe the game I’ve coined the term, “cheerfuldark”. Despite the first chunk of the game’s being set on a prison island on which magical people are being rounded up and experimented upon in brutal and sadistic ways, this is an outstandingly cheery game! It deals with some pretty hefty fantastical matters, has moments of pure heartbreak (you try breaking the news to a bear cub that his mother has died without getting a little bit of dust in your eye), and goodness me is it gory, but always with this big wicked grin behind its eyes.

divinty-best-things05.jpg

It certainly achieves a lot of this through its gleeful bloodlust, and my favourite example of this is the Raise Bloated Corpse ability. I’ve played my share of RPGs, I know the deal. One of your characters has some necromantic abilities, and eventually you’ll gain the ability to raise a little zombie to fight on your side, right? So when Ifan gained a big pile of Necromancer points, and I found a book teaching the ol’ Raise Corpse ability, I really didn’t pay attention to the word “Bloated”.

Oh good lord it’s revolting. When a foe has fallen in battle, or if there are corpses lying about the place as there so often are, you cast this spell on their cadaver and expect them to jump back up, perhaps emit some groaning noises, and act as cannon fodder for your team. But no, instead the corpse billows out revealing a vast amorphous blob of sweating meat. Meat that oozes and squelches as it undulates across the ground toward its prey. It’s a wonder any enemy sticks around to see what happens next. The animation is wonderful too, its slug-like crawl somehow – somehow – almost cute. And its special ability is, of course, to repugnantly explode itself, spattering all around in juicy viscera.

Again! Again!
divinty-best-things11.jpg

I wasn’t particularly delighted when I learned that saves for the Early Access build of DOS2 wouldn’t work with the final released game. I completely understand why – the finished game has some significant differences, new characters, rewritten NPCs, and entire locations changed, so they’d hideously conflict. But still, many many hours of game down the loo. I didn’t relish starting again from scratch. I’m delighted I did!

This really is a game that supports replaying, providing a noticeably different experience if approached in a different way. And it does this without a single scrap of procedurally generated anything.

Picking a different pre-scripted character from the bunch certainly helped. This time through I’ve even ditched the lady I was playing as last time from my party – partly because I’d already seen her surprises for the first section, and partly because it was kind of weird experiencing the moments I’d invested in before tangentially. Playing as Fane, a completely new character, undead, and a touch quirky, and also bringing in Beast, the dwarf, to join Lohse and Ifan, it’s been wildly different!

divinty-best-things01.jpg

Each pre-written character has their own unique story in the game, and while you’ll see the periphery of them if you bring that person along with you, it makes such a big narrative difference to see it through a different pair of eyes (or indeed the holes where eyes once were). That’s a big part of it. But genuinely, playing differently has created so many different experiences this time out.

Just little things, but last time I accidentally stumbled upon Gareth before his storyline had been introduced, and indeed arrived at the back of the ‘dungeon’ he was in through some exotic exploring. This time I met his friends first, heard them talk of his importance, and found my way to where he was imprisoned through the front door. The fights were completely different as a result of the approach, and the story played out in a new way. And that was just one NPC in one little smidgen of the map.

Many, many of those moments combined, playing things out in a different order, encountering different people, getting quests that weren’t there before because I didn’t show up until someone had died last time, or even finding out that with different characters you can talk your way into making allegiances with formerly formidable foes, all really adds up. It’s felt so fresh this time, despite replaying it just days since the last time.

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Bloody
divinty-best-things02.jpg

I previously wrote about my very earliest experience of Divinity: Original Sin II, when a horrid, horrid guard killed my adopted kitten.

I bloody showed him.

divinty-best-things10.jpg

Gosh it was satisfying, when I returned to where he and his companions guarded, a level higher than them now, and blasted them to bits. I gloated over his corpse, and I dedicated the victory to poor little Meow.

On this second play through, however, the cat had a somewhat more ignominious death. The bloody idiot set itself on fire. It had the sense to keep out of the way during a battle, but then decided – as only cats can – that it wanted to stand in a fire and wasn’t going to budge. Sigh.

Still though, when it came to killing the bastard Magister who got Meow last time, he must have been damned confused about the relish with which I targeted him. The bastard.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
A chicken with the name of a Jimi Hendrix's song, Larian respects nothing. But something strange is happening to me : I start to get used to the fully voiced dialogues. Comes to enjoy it actually. English is not my mother tongue, so I'm less demanding in that matter but still, some voices are good. Well... animal's mostly.
Not the narrator though, and I still don't get the necessity of a voiced narrator anyway.

On another note I really struggle to find a skill that synergize well with necromancy.

Summoning or warfare for life steal.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heads up, a spoiler you'll be glad to know before you start exploring Chapter 2:

If you wander in the Wrecker's Cave around lvl 11/12, stumble into those four Voidwokens and watch helplessly how they chew you up, don't reload thinking you're underleveled for the area and have to come back later. You're actually not underleveled. It's one of those RPG moments where you're supposed to die. Yeah. I reloaded, came back at level 15, they "killed" me anyways and then I was just facerolling through this huge area that's appropriate for level 12/13, fighting trash mobs, finding trash loot and getting rewards that'd be great three levels ago. Just fyi.
I did just kill them on level 12.IS there some kind of immortal monster or something that i missed?I cleaned the caves and killed the idiot dwarf undead.

You killed them? There are four of them and each has like 4 attacks, dealing about 150 frost damage with each. Once he strips you character off their magic armour, he jumps forward, rolls them up in a cocoon and kidnaps them. If you killed them on lvl 12 kudos to you (are you playing on Explorer or what?). You didn't miss anything, I think you really are supposed to "die" in this fight.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This vs the first game - which is better and why? Have they finally implement the NPC schedules they had promised originally?

the people who prefer this one mostly like bad games

take that as you will
Games like Arcanum, right? :lol:

If every gamign journalist in the world wasn't breathlessly anointing the game as the best rpg evuh, I'd probably be less annoyed by it. As it stands, I think it's a somewhat pretty game with ok but unbalanced combat, good music, shitty writing, shitty voiceacting, and a surprising lack of polish (in terms of UI/UX and the bugs I've encountered). I've also stopped playing for now to see if they make will at all useful in the future.
Why read reviews?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Heads up, a spoiler you'll be glad to know before you start exploring Chapter 2:

If you wander in the Wrecker's Cave around lvl 11/12, stumble into those four Voidwokens and watch helplessly how they chew you up, don't reload thinking you're underleveled for the area and have to come back later. You're actually not underleveled. It's one of those RPG moments where you're supposed to die. Yeah. I reloaded, came back at level 15, they "killed" me anyways and then I was just facerolling through this huge area that's appropriate for level 12/13, fighting trash mobs, finding trash loot and getting rewards that'd be great three levels ago. Just fyi.
I did just kill them on level 12.IS there some kind of immortal monster or something that i missed?I cleaned the caves and killed the idiot dwarf undead.

You killed them? There are four of them and each has like 4 attacks, dealing about 150 frost damage with each. Once he strips you character off their magic armour, he jumps forward, rolls them up in a cocoon and kidnaps them. If you killed them on lvl 12 kudos to you (are you playing on Explorer or what?). You didn't miss anything, I think you really are supposed to "die" in this fight.

I'm not sure you can kill them before getting cocooned. Afterwards you can kill them one by one.

This is a totally minor point but it really bugs me.

I hate it when in a game like this, you kill a dude holding a sword, his body falls over, still holding the sword, you search his corpse and there's no fucking sword.

I blame Bioware ala Neverwinter Nights for letting developers think this is an acceptable design choice.

That is all.

The worst part is when you pickpocket someone and they have like two rows of nades, arrows, potions and shit. Then you quickly gangbang their ass in one turn and they have like 30 shekels (at best) on their corpse. WHERE ALL DEM CONSUMABLES AT LARIAN?

2nd act leveling feels a bit off as well, I got there as lvl 9 afaik and got 2 lvls for just talking to people and a couple of fights in driftwood or whatever it's called. Then you fight some lvl 9 voidbugs by the graveyard and... where the fuck am I supposed to go, everytime I turn the corner assholes have 2 lvls (or more) on me. Dmg is just insane, Deep Dweller killed my guy in one turn (two 300+ damage hits). Your relative power is directly tied to levels, which pretty much forces you to do 80% of encounters in certain order (with minor variations). This is by far the most annoying feature in the game.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a totally minor point but it really bugs me.

I hate it when in a game like this, you kill a dude holding a sword, his body falls over, still holding the sword, you search his corpse and there's no fucking sword.

I blame Bioware ala Neverwinter Nights for letting developers think this is an acceptable design choice.

That is all.

The worst part is when you pickpocket someone and they have like two rows of nades, arrows, potions and shit. Then you quickly gangbang their ass in one turn and they have like 30 shekels (at best) on their corpse. WHERE ALL DEM CONSUMABLES AT LARIAN?

2nd act leveling feels a bit off as well, I got there as lvl 9 afaik and got 2 lvls for just talking to people and a couple of fights in driftwood or whatever it's called. Then you fight some lvl 9 voidbugs by the graveyard and... where the fuck am I supposed to go, everytime I turn the corner assholes have 2 lvls (or more) on me. Dmg is just insane, Deep Dweller killed my guy in one turn (two 300+ damage hits). Your relative power is directly tied to levels, which pretty much forces you to do 80% of encounters in certain order (with minor variations). This is by far the most annoying feature in the game.

Yeah that sucks but it's not new to this game, D:OS was exactly the same. You had to do almost every single inane sidequest to be even remotely leveled correctly for the main quest. And that was before all the Tactitician shit, dogs didn't have shield generators then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom