Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally got into Steel Panthers

DakaSha

Arcane
actually just created a thread for this then found this.

they are awesome. I'm deciding on doing my first LP with winSPMBT.. Would anybody even be interested? Germans vs Jews obviously

Panther_tank_commander_Italy.jpg

Steel Panthers! Discuss!! (I can do only silly one two few-liners)

I'm playing SPWW2 7.0 now and it's pretty grate. Old version so I can run it in dosbox.

Very playground-like game since there are all these settings and self-imposed rules you have to figure out.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The MP is viable? I remember playing it on PBEM and anything but big tank fights was a mess.

I'd be up for one or two bouts.

I have been playing it for years and I still didn't figure out how:

1) Make artillery fire effective;

2) Make Air support effective;

3) Avoid the worst of the overwatch fire.

Artillery fire can be horrifyingly effective, but you typically need to either catch the enemy on open ground or on the move. The main benefit of a barrage is often just the suppression. Unless you're using 155+ guns, in which case they'll obliterate and suppress just about anything to hell.

Air support is much more iffy. It's fairly realistic in that planes will typically go for big, easy to spot targets in the general vicinity of their strike marker. I almost always find artillery more useful; air strikes are usually one and done.

As far as avoiding overwatch - smoke, smoke and more smoke. And suppression from artillery barrages.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is a shame this game got no worthy successor. I could never get into combat mission. What do the Matrix and Shrapnel editions change to the base game?

The MP is viable? I remember playing it on PBEM and anything but big tank fights was a mess.

I'd be up for one or two bouts.
I have no idea how it works and what version would be best for pbem, but I'd be willing to try.

It is a shame this game got no worthy successor. I could never get into combat mission. What do the Matrix and Shrapnel editions change to the base game?
Looks like more of everything generally. Paid versions offer higher resolutions than those 640x480 and 800x600.

This page gives an alright (but not complete) overview of history of series and different versions. And download links.
http://www.alternatewars.com/Games/SP/SPanthers.htm

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Earlier this year Matrix games were looking for some programmers for a Steel Panthers related project so maybe something is brewing on that front. Would make me very happy indeed.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Earlier this year Matrix games were looking for some programmers for a Steel Panthers related project so maybe something is brewing on that front. Would make me very happy indeed.
Perhaps they are updating SPWAW for modern systems.
Installing current version is needlessly difficult.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I have no idea how it works and what version would be best for pbem, but I'd be willing to try.

Good for me. As for versions, choose the one you prefer. I like the updated ones that work on my lazy stock Windows, but I can downgrade to DosBox if needed.

PBEM works, but as as test I'd suggest to do a medium-sized tank battle. Infantry combat is fun, but PBEM games are sloooow if I remember right.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
They talked about "porting" it to their Archon engine some time ago.
It would require quite a lot of work.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That sounds like recipe for pure decline.

Is there any Archon engine games that has as deep mechanics as Steel Panthers?
Besides doesn't that engine has a limitation for 1 unit per grid?

Good for me. As for versions, choose the one you prefer. I like the updated ones that work on my lazy stock Windows, but I can downgrade to DosBox if needed.

PBEM works, but as as test I'd suggest to do a medium-sized tank battle. Infantry combat is fun, but PBEM games are sloooow if I remember right.
I'll see if I can get the latest winSPWW2 working in Wine without too much hassle.

What do you mean with tank battle and infantry battle? Isn't the correct way to give each player some number of points (1000-2000?) and then freely buy your roster with that?

Should it be some plausible WW2 scenario or something silly like Belgium vs. Thailand in North Africa?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
That sounds like recipe for pure decline.

Is there any Archon engine games that has as deep mechanics as Steel Panthers?
Besides doesn't that engine has a limitation for 1 unit per grid?
Indeed, 1 unit per grid seems mandatory with Archon, at least in its current iteration. So it would mean much smaller maps, or a scale that would be closer to Steel Panthers 3/East Front.

Dayyālu

Arcane
What do you mean with tank battle and infantry battle? Isn't the correct way to give each player some number of points (1000-2000?) and then freely buy your roster with that?

Should it be some plausible WW2 scenario or something silly like Belgium vs. Thailand in North Africa?

Ahh, yes. I merely meant a-historical tank-heavy battles are faster to resolve for PBEM purposes. Infantry and artillery are essential, but the slow down the game considerably.

I have no problems with fantasy scenarios, I'd pick Italy then and you are free to maul me. Let's avoid Late War Germans, though. I don't think I have stuff that can punch through a Tiger :lol::lol::lol:

Ahh, yes. I merely meant a-historical tank-heavy battles are faster to resolve for PBEM purposes. Infantry and artillery are essential, but the slow down the game considerably.

I have no problems with fantasy scenarios, I'd pick Italy then and you are free to maul me. Let's avoid Late War Germans, though. I don't think I have stuff that can punch through a Tiger :lol::lol::lol:
It's PBEM, we're not in a hurry! :shittydog:

Can't decide on a nation... maybe Soviets? Maybe Germans? Maybe something more marginal...

winSPWW2 crashes on Wine for me. Comments that I were able to find weren't very helpful. ("It works for me!" "It doesn't work for me!") So looks liek the version would be SPWW2 7.0

Map size 80x100? Turn limit around 30 turns or so? Victory points bundled at three positions or spread all over or doesn't matter? Terrain preferably something else than open flat desert. Random map I guess. Or maybe you'd like to make one! I heard you like map editing! :lol:

Dayyālu

Arcane
It's PBEM, we're not in a hurry! :shittydog:

Can't decide on a nation... maybe Soviets? Maybe Germans? Maybe something more marginal...

How much you like to win?

winSPWW2 crashes on Wine for me. Comments that I were able to find weren't very helpful. ("It works for me!" "It doesn't work for me!") So looks liek the version would be SPWW2 7.0

I'll adapt.

Map size 80x100? Turn limit around 30 turns or so? Victory points bundled at three positions or spread all over or doesn't matter? Terrain preferably something else than open flat desert. Random map I guess. Or maybe you'd like to make one! I heard you like map editing! :lol:

Veeeery funny.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guise where do you get winspww2? THere is only one obscure site from shrapnelgames.

Also is winspww2 a improvement over steel panthers 1 ?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Guise where do you get winspww2? THere is only one obscure site from shrapnelgames.
That's where I got winSP: MBT.
Downloadable versions of both winspww2 and winSP: MBT are free.
Be aware that at least for me trying to run winSP: MBT on full screen causes crashes.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/release_close_combat_series_5fb9b/post54?as=1649904300
Did you know we're working on a sequel to that with the original team from SSI ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zdzisiu

Arcane

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/release_close_combat_series_5fb9b/post54?as=1649904300
Did you know we're working on a sequel to that with the original team from SSI ;)
Yeah, there was also some talk on matrix forums from November last year. It seemed like its in progress and past the early stage already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I suppose it could be on that same engine theyre putting the new CC into.
Aren't they using modified versions of their Archon engine(Battle Academy 2, Field of Glory 2, Pike and Shot, ...) for virtually everything not Panzer Corps-y these days?

Comte

I suppose it could be on that same engine theyre putting the new CC into.
Aren't they using modified versions of their Archon engine(Battle Academy 2, Field of Glory 2, Pike and Shot, ...) for virtually everything not Panzer Corps-y these days?

Yes they are. I wonder if they will actually have a decent AI. I am noticing with all modern wargames the AI is absolute garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom