Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

He's not carrying a shield, gladius, or javelin.

Other than that, GG

Sizzle

Arcane
I also don't understand why it has to be the same Watcher from the first game, it's not like watchery is a unique trait only s/he has, if it's absolutely necessary for the PC to be a Watcher. The "BG2 did it" justification is very poor.

They've been pushing the BG angle since the first game (and its "The legend continues" ending slide), I honestly never even thought they would do the sequel with a different PC.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pelts = oonga-boonga tribesmen? Hardly:

1149954.jpg

cultural appropriation

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They've been pushing the BG angle since the first game (and its "The legend continues" ending slide), I honestly never even thought they would do the sequel with a different PC.

But it doesn't make sense, it's very contrived. Not only is Eothas returning (which I hate), but it just happens to be in the statue under your keep and it just happens to suck your soul out. In BG the Bhaalspawn thing had to inevitably lead to a sequel, it had a sequel hook. I guess you can make the argument that there's no other statue that can house a god, but I still hate it being Eothas and it sucking your soul is still contrived. It needs too many hoops to jump through and too many coincidences for you to accept just to make it so it's still the same character, while it could've been avoided by simply not being the same PC. Even better, I would've made it so you can choose which region of the Archipelago you are from and make DA:O style prologues for each one. You can be the oonga-boonga spear-swordman if you want to! Or a colonist from the Vailian Republics come to 'modernize' the savages!

Prime Junta

I wouldn't know what to call that weapon at all, some kind of spear-sword, lol?

It's a two-handed sword. Similar designs were used in various parts of Asia. The spear is a thrusting weapon with a much longer, smooth shaft; swords like this are (primarily) slashing, and have guards and a grip designed to make it easy to hold.

ph-0.jpg

83cc639828bd7b44e0f0ac7360f0a396.jpg

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I also don't like the ideas for the beginning of the game, feels forced and silly. Will depend on the execution though, hopefully the story will not suffer from the silly start.

Its been a whole since I played PoE, what happened to Eothas again that would prevent him from coming back? He was killed by the godhammer right?

Prime Junta

Its been a whole since I played PoE, what happened to Eothas again that would prevent him from coming back? He was killed by the godhammer right?

Yup.

There isn't anything in the lore to stop him from coming back; gods have died and been reborn in a different form before.

It is true that there is no plot-related reason he has to come back as the statue under your keep though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
While there isn't any lore reason for him to not come back, it still invalidates and trivializes the Saint's War and makes Eothas' death cheap. He should've stayed dead for, you know, dramatic tension and stakes. I hope it doesn't turn into comic-book style death-as-revolving-door thing. There is a lore reason to be housed in the statue, however, as it's made of adra and can contain a soul. He didn't HAVE to return in this manner, but eh.

Sizzle

Arcane
But it doesn't make sense, it's very contrived. Not only is Eothas returning (which I hate), but it just happens to be in the statue under your keep and it just happens to suck your soul out.

Only if you presume it's all a coincidence (which I don't. This is Obsidian, there's bound to be a twist to it - whether it's a good or bad one, we'll see).

In BG the Bhaalspawn thing had to inevitably lead to a sequel, it had a sequel hook.

What - that there are other Bhaalspawn besides you and Sarevok? About as much of a sequel hook as PoE1's "And the gods continued to meddle, and you had 'A long journey looming ahead'" one.

Even better, I would've made it so you can choose which region of the Archipelago you are from and make DA:O style prologues for each one.

They're going for the continuation of the gods' story. For that, the same protagonist as the one from PoE1 is practically required.

You can be the oonga-boonga spear-swordman if you want to!

Don't honestly know what you're complaining about here (if anything), but I do like it that they haven't gone the SJW history revisionist route with the Huana, but allowed them to be (at least somewhat) primitive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That you have to figure out what being a Bhaalspawn is/means and, yeah, finding others because they might have the same idea as Sarevok. PoE1 has nothing to do with Eothas or the Saint's War (only its fallout in Eder and Durance), so they aren't continuing Eothas' story from the first game, let alone the PC's in the context of Eothas, since there is no connection between the two at all. Also, I'm not complaining about the oonga-boonga people, lol, where are you getting that from?

Last edited:

Frusciante

Cipher
I'm wondering what the multiclass system means for things like the ranger's animal companion and the druids shapeshift. Would the pet or shapeshift be less powerful for a single class ranger or druid?

Hyperion

Arcane
Highly unlikely, since the 2 highest available talents / spells aren't attainable for multiclasses. I would imagine (hope) that level 19 or 20 talents have something pet / shapeshift related to bolster their power.

Sizzle

Arcane
That you have to figure out what being a Bhaalspawn is and, yeah, finding others because they might have the same idea as Sarevok.

Your Watcher status was so underused in the first one (barring a few cool moments in TWM), that you could make the same case as that - you continue to hone your Watcher powers.

But, yes, it doesn't have the same gravitas as being a Bhaalspawn.

PoE1 has nothing to do with Eothas or the Saint's War (only its fallout in Eder and Durance), so they aren't continuing Eothas' story from the first game, let alone the PC's in the context of Eothas, since there is no connection between the two at all.

The Eothas thing was always a big background mystery in PoE1, it was obvious that, if there was ever a sequel, they would return to it.

After defeating Thaos - and considering how much narrative focus was given to all the godly shenanigans - it was the biggest plot point that was still left dangling.

Also, I'm not complaining about the oonga-boonga people, lol, where are you getting that from?

What Prime Junta said.

Prime Junta

It looks more like a glaive to me, Asians especially were find of blades on sticks.

A glaive is a polearm. The shaft is longer, uniform, and round in cross-section. Glaives are also single-edged. That one has a grip rather than a shaft with a metal counterweight for a pommel. The weapon looks about four, maybe four and a half feet long, tops; a glaive would be six feet long, perhaps more.

This is a glaive (naginata actually)

SH1020__86993.1343700085.1280.1280.jpg

The shaft/blade proportions are quite different. It's clearly designed to be wielded with a different technique than the weapon Edér is holding. Chop two feet off the shaft and add a pommel/counterweight and you'll get something like a single-edged version of his weapon.

Frusciante

Cipher
Highly unlikely, since the 2 highest available talents / spells aren't attainable for multiclasses. I would imagine (hope) that level 19 or 20 talents have something pet / shapeshift related to bolster their power.

Yes but I mean not counting specific talents. In the druid talent tree you can see that there are 8th or 9th level talents linked to the shapeshift that are unatainable by a multi class character. But I mean would the default (excluding any talents or abilities) pet for example be less powerful for multi class ranger?

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Yes but I mean not counting specific talents. In the druid talent tree you can see that there are 9th or 9th level talents linked to the shapeshift that are unatainable by a multi class character. But I mean would the default (excluding any talents or abilities) pet for example be less powerful for multi class ranger?

Good question. I'll ask Josh.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Your Watcher status was so underused in the first one (barring a few cool moments in TWM), that you could make the same case as that - you continue to hone your Watcher powers.
Given the completeness of the story, you resolve basically any conflicts you personally had and come to terms with your Watcher powers, I'd say that ship has sailed. You failed to write a story in which the main gimmick has a point and is utilized to its full potential (even though it was a shitty idea from the start)? Tough luck, move on, create a better story and a different protagonist. "Hone your Watcher powers" is too vague a motivation and can be applied to every story ever. "Oh, after I escaped captivity as a slave from my master, I began to hone my skills." "Oh, after we defeated the barbarian incursion, I stayed in their lands to hone my skills." etc. etc. Not that it's not an understandable motivation, but it's cheap and it doesn't have a clear end goal. And, again, could've been another Watcher.

The Eothas thing was always a big background mystery in PoE1, it was obvious that, if there was ever a sequel, they would return to it.

After defeating Thaos - and considering how much narrative focus was given to all the godly shenanigans - it was the biggest plot point that was still left dangling.

Sure, I'm not opposed to dealing with Eothas in one way or another, or continuing some other god's shenanigans, but it would've been better had we been dealing with Eothas' death and the ramifications of that, godly or otherwise, in a dramatic context. His resurrection is, again, cheap and the conflicting worldviews that drove the Saint's War are trivialized and swept under the rug. It also turns out there is no victor, the creation of the Godhammer was pointless and the lives lost in both sides of the war are disrespected. Like that famous IWD quote goes "a death without meaning isn't a sacrifice, it's a waste", everything during that war has been a waste and that's terrible. They might use that angle to create drama and raise questions about the cheapness of mortal life in Eora, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
While there isn't any lore reason for him to not come back, it still invalidates and trivializes the Saint's War and makes Eothas' death cheap. He should've stayed dead for, you know, dramatic tension and stakes. I hope it doesn't turn into comic-book style death-as-revolving-door thing. There is a lore reason to be housed in the statue, however, as it's made of adra and can contain a soul. He didn't HAVE to return in this manner, but eh.
He comes back under your keep out as revenge for kidnapping the baby orlan, who actually turns out to be Eothas's wife's son. Baby's name is Soul.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I actually took the orlan baby btw, Josh said there are going to be consequences for that, so I thought it was the best choice for drama.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom