Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Metagaming Thread

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just finished Fort Joy and looks like it's time to restart with a more optimal party. My party consists of: MC (Knight), Red Prince (Cleric), Skelly and edgy chick (unchanged). My thoughts:

- MC and the elven chick carried the rest of the team. The best thing Fane did was teleporting baddies away and buffing MC with extra shields. Meh. Gonna replace him with a Ranger.
- Necromancy is fucking garbage. Jesus Christ. Best spell my Lizzard had was a mediocre physical attack-like (Decaying Touch). Clerics in D:OS2 = NOT EVEN ONCE.
- Are summons still viable? Because I think replacing Fane for a summoner type mage with some side supporting capabilities might be the way to go.
- Because of the retarded physical/magical shield system, I'm thinking that giving Warfare 1 to everyone might be great, since the likelyhood of some1 resisting a stun isn't influenced by low str anymore. Fucking :decline:
- Undead mechanics are meh. Can't be arsed. And the racial skill is terrible. Flesh Sacrifice FTW.
- Speaking of skills, the edgy elf chick is a must for proper min maxing. Is Ifan's wolf any good? I'm assuming Lohse and the Dwarf are also good by virtue of bringing another CC to the table. Shame that nobody packs a physical CC tho :roll:
- WTF happened to the talents? Wow. There is only a handful of useful talents now. Guess it's "Bigger and Better", "All Skilled up" and "Memnonic" for everyone in the long run, right?
- Why go Rogue when the Shadowblade does the same shit with an extra stat point? And Polymorph seems crazy strong, packing a physical CC on the very first tier...

Anyway, share your meta knowledge here.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Warfare has teleporting spells like Phoenix Attack, Blitz Attack
Geomancy and Pyro have point blank AOE spells like Reactive Armor, Earthquake, Supernova, Ignition and so on.

Teleport and point blank AOE is very effective on multiple targets therefore any combination of the above works pretty well: Warfare/Geomancy or Warfare/Pyro.

Summoning is OP. Incarnate + Power Infusion is a beast. Also Dominate Mind is deadly once the magic armor is gone.

Aerotheurge 2 for Teleportation spell on all characters.

Attributes cap is 40.
Abilities cap is 10.
Talents like "Bigger and Better", "All Skilled up" and "Memnonic" are no-brainer.

Niklasgunner

Savant
Summoning is OP. Incarnate + Power Infusion is a beast. Also Dominate Mind is deadly once the magic armor is gone.

If you think Incarnate is OP you haven't touched the non-summoning summons, like the Bone Widow or Artillery Plant.

These are designed to be viable spells without any points in summoner, but apparently Larian forgot to adjust how they scale when most of your points ARE in summon making them ridiculously overpowered.
Artillery plant can easily one shot many enemies, Bone widow has double the HP and does more damage than a power/farsight infused incarnate champion.

Artillery Plant ranged attack compared to farsight infused ranged attack on level 13, both 10 points in summoning

1080 vs 180 damage
bnv1BbX.png

Aaand bone widows damage and HP
dsG6zFQ.png

Bone widow has more than three times the HP of my player character, lmao.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pick lone wolf, get summoning to 10 at 4th lvl, watch infused incarnate wreck shit up.
Pick lone for other char too, give it warfare, pyro and geo. Then what toro said.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My party is composes of:
Knight: One handed/Shield + Warfare
Ranger: Bow + Huntsman
Mage: Geomancy + Pyro
Summoner: Leadership + Summoning

The entire party is doing only 3 types of damage: physical, fire and earth.

Incarnate + Knight rape anything in close combat.
Ranger needs a high spot but then it's deadly.
The mage makes sure the entire battle field is on fire.

I'm level 19 and probably on the last island. I rolfstomped more than half of the game with the setup above. Earthquake is probably my favorite spell.

There is nothing clever about this setup but it works.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
No rogue? Dat back massage fucking hurts. Gonna use a shadowblade in my next party. And an elf MC ofc. Will probably use Lohse as my summoner and maybe the dwarf as a ranger.

Also, why shield? Isn't 2H better?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

If you think Incarnate is OP you haven't touched the non-summoning summons, like the Bone Widow or Artillery Plant.

These are designed to be viable spells without any points in summoner, but apparently Larian forgot to adjust how they scale when most of your points ARE in summon making them ridiculously overpowered.
Artillery plant can easily one shot many enemies, Bone widow has double the HP and does more damage than a power/farsight infused incarnate champion.

Artillery Plant ranged attack compared to farsight infused ranged attack on level 13, both 10 points in summoning

1080 vs 180 damage
bnv1BbX.png

dsG6zFQ.png

Incarnate without buffs is not so special.
It's a different beast with Power Infusion.
And with Fortify it can reach 7000+ in Physical Armor.
At max summoning it's better than Artillery Plant (this I know because my mage can summon that)
But I don't know about Bone Widow.

37184656036_fc9a836db1_o.jpg

Niklasgunner

Savant

1080 vs 180 damage
bnv1BbX.png

dsG6zFQ.png

At max summoning it's better than Artillery Plant (this I know because my mage can summon that)

You are comparing my level 13 widow with your level 18 incarnate. Don't forgot that HP values go up exponentially.
Does your mage have any points in summoning? otherwise comparing the damage it can deal with your incarnate is pointless. You might need 2-3 points in geomancy to be able learn the skill, but its stats are determined by your summoning, not geomancy skill.

The bone widow can still take twice the damage of a power infused Incarnate Champion before it dies, I could also buff it with fortify and magic armor to make it more resistant to CC, but CC is irrelevant when it's unlikely that any enemy can kill it before I can recast it after 5 turns.
I wouldn't be suprised if Widow has 9000 base HP at the level you are at.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
No rogue? Dat back massage fucking hurts. Gonna use a shadowblade in my next party. And an elf MC ofc. Will probably use Lohse as my summoner and maybe the dwarf as a ranger.

Also, why shield? Isn't 2H better?

No rogue. Yeah, I don't know.

2H does more damage but it has less armor and armor is important because most of the time the fighter is on fire :)

1H/Shield works better as a tank than 2H and late game shields are too sweet to pass up:

37202709642_3d40636bff_o.jpg

To be honest it doesn't matter because from chapter 2 you can respec the entire party for free.

Edit: I should mention that the game has the retarded habit of dropping really good 2H weapons.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

1080 vs 180 damage
bnv1BbX.png

dsG6zFQ.png

You are comparing my level 13 widow with your level 18 incarnate. Don't forgot that HP values go op exponentially.
Does your mage have any points in summoning? otherwise comparing the damage it can deal to your incarnate is pointless, you might need 2-3 points in geomancy to be able learn the skill, but its stats are determined by your summoning skill, not geomancy.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
On level 20? 10k. It's not much since it lacks innate magic armor and is fodder for anything with inbuilt CC on attack (your characters are hitting for 1k per hit at that point). But it's still hella lots and is easy to use just to make 5-6 enemies rush to it and try kill it. Then your mage teleports into there and casts Supernova and you're all
1b2.png

So it's more of a fodder, while Incarnate is a damage dealer.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
All those purples. Lucky charm is a must, then?

Some of them were looted but some of those purples were bought. Bartering is essential on one character.

As for Lucky Charms, I don't think it influences the drop rate for Rare, Unique, Legendary or Divine items. I think it increases the amount of money you can find and maybe one standard item. It's nice to have but it's not vital as Bartering. I don't know how it works.

Edit: I don't think it matters. You will have enough quality loot by the end of the game. With Lucky Charms or not.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Pick lone wolf, get summoning to 10 at 4th lvl, watch infused incarnate wreck shit up.
Pick lone for other char too, give it warfare, pyro and geo. Then what toro said.

This is proper meta. Or 4 Summoners :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Stuff to think about
U6qysFJ.png

A character with 1 tier lower 2-handed weapon due to 3 sockets with all physical runes and all the physical multiplication of weapon, does 33% more damage now than my dual wielder. Before dual wielder seemed more powerful. It's not always you find 3 socketed weapon of course, but it's something to think about. Lategame runes are p. strong and are even stronger on a weapon with higher base damage.

You are comparing my level 13 widow with your level 18 incarnate. Don't forgot that HP values go up exponentially.
Does your mage have any points in summoning? otherwise comparing the damage it can deal with your incarnate is pointless. You might need 2-3 points in geomancy to be able learn the skill, but its stats are determined by your summoning, not geomancy skill.

The bone widow can still take twice the damage of a power infused Incarnate Champion before it dies, I could also buff it with fortify and magic armor to make it more resistant to CC, but CC is irrelevant when it's unlikely that any enemy can kill it before I can recast it after 5 turns.

I'll get back to you when my game finishes updating but I believe the bone widow at my level (18-19 I forget) has comparable hp but the incarnate infused can knockdown, whirlwind, tactical retreat, nether swap w/ summoner, taunt, and has magical armor that the widow simply doesn't. But then again my necro isn't at 10 points... Not sure if that outweighs all of that. Plus I don't really use anything other than Warp/Power Infuse, so not sure.

Oh, and you can
infuse the Incarnate with every element if you're a clever crafter ;)

edit: With 10/10 Summoning Necro the bone widow has much more HP but in my experience the Incarnate is never dying, only wearing out. Plus, the utility available, for me, trumps the Widow.

Still, BOTH is clearly the best answer :obviously:

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So what's the word with character creation? In the first one I remember that you had to kind of specifically avoid making a fighter because Madora was an awesome fighter coming in later. Does that matter at all in the sequel or can I legit just make whatever I want and I can patch my party with certifiably non shitty companions who are enjoyable and not gimped by the game developer?

I'm experiencing Goldilocks syndrome with the game difficultly. Classic is a little too easy, but Tactician is sort of difficult in a tiresome this-fight-requires-cheesing-the-AI sort of way rather than a satisfying this-fight-requires-careful-tactics sort of way. It's mostly down to the stupid armor/magic barrier system. For anyone who's played most of the way through the game, does Tactician difficult smooth out later due to having gear on par with the enemy or will I always be one step behind and have to abuse the shit out of the AI for victory?

So what's the word with character creation? In the first one I remember that you had to kind of specifically avoid making a fighter because Madora was an awesome fighter coming in later. Does that matter at all in the sequel or can I legit just make whatever I want and I can patch my party with certifiably non shitty companions who are enjoyable and not gimped by the game developer?

A companion's character class isn't fixed like in the first game. When you first met a companion you get a dialogue which allows changing their default class to any other kind of class. Also there's a mirror later in the game which allows full respec of all the characters including your own, so you're free to completely balls up the first eight levels or so of character development safe in the knowledge that it's all fixable.

Ok, I've been giving Tactician difficulty another go. I must say that the Fire Slug Princess throwing up an Immunity to Water shield the second I got into combat with her triggered me hard. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen in Classic. In Soviet Tactician difficulty AI cheeses you. Now I have to resort to teleporting the slugs of the ledge and spamming electrified puddles/steam at the choke-points.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit, pickpocketing is amazing!!! Gonna post my new party when I get home. Fort joy was a breeze!!

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Hmm...Rupture tendons + chicken form and enemies will run out of hp pretty fast. I guess you could haste them as well, just to be sure.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Ok, I've been giving Tactician difficulty another go. I must say that the Fire Slug Princess throwing up an Immunity to Water shield the second I got into combat with her triggered me hard. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen in Classic. In Soviet Tactician difficulty AI cheeses you. Now I have to resort to teleporting the slugs of the ledge and spamming electrified puddles/steam at the choke-points.
I have started running into some real bullshit on tactician.

Like casters that are allowed to have multiple summons. Summons that summon more summons. And since summons get to move at the same time as the summoner on their first turn, they all get to attack at the same time. Wew.

Another a top contender for bullshit is any fight where you kill somebody and then they resurrect and get to move again free of any CCs you had on them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom