Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're an indie publisher, so before anybody asks, no they're probably not publishing Cain & Boyarsky's project.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
True enough. We'll see what the actual implementation is eventually... I still suspect you're going to have to stick with a rogue/* multiclass if you want sneak attack, but we're just guessing at this point.

If you do get a sneak attack, then you can simulate triple-classes like Priest/Rogue/X, with the most obvious second class being Fighter with specialization in stilettos (if that's still a thing). Otherwise it seems kinda awkward, you get Rogue abilities, but not sneak attack and end up feeling like a watered down and useless Rogue, so you have to get Rogue as a second class to get them, but then the active abilities from Skaen are redundant.
Agreed. On the other hand, if Skaen gives most of the better rogue abilities (with mechanics already separate from class), there's not a lot of point to having a rogue. Presumably, you'd get the abilities earlier than the priest but I'm not sure that is sufficient to make up for everything else the priest also brings to the table.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It looks like they renewed the official website? http://eternity.obsidian.net/

Or am I
rating_oldman.png
?

game-story-icon.png

RETURN
TO EORA

The god Eothas, once thought to be destroyed, returns to life in the form of a titanic statue – nearly killing you as he destroys everything in his path. It’s up to you, the Watcher of Caed Nua, to discover Eothas’ purpose and decide to help or hinder his efforts.

With an enormous open world, a massive cast of characters, beautiful hand-painted backgrounds, and a story you can play your way, Obsidian Entertainment is proud to bring you Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

COMPANIONS
You’ll be accompanied by companions familiar and new as you travel through the Deadfire. Some, like the loyal Edér, have stayed with you out of a sense of personal duty. Others, like the unpredictable Serafen, have their own mysterious reasons for accompanying you.

companions-1471.png

New to Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is the companion relationships system, where companions will not only engage with you, but each other, depending on the decisions you make and events they experience in the world.

EXPLORE
THE DEADFIRE

An island chain comprising a huge city, fiery volcanoes, mighty pirates, and desolate sandbars, you’ll navigate the Deadfire on your ship. Of course, exploring the open world will lead to any number of encounters, some helpful, some dangerous. You may even come upon undiscovered lands. Assemble your crew, board your ship, and may the wind be always at your back!

SHIPS
Your trusty ship, the Defiant, is your main means of getting around the Deadfire’s open-world. It’s also your home base, and that of your companions, and your crew.

You’ll be able to upgrade it, hire new crew members, and even take it into combat using a dedicated ship-to-ship combat system developed especially for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Build up enough wealth, and you’ll be able to buy larger, and more impressive ships, too!

concept-ship1.jpg

concept-ship2.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Agreed. On the other hand, if Skaen gives most of the better rogue abilities (with mechanics already separate from class), there's not a lot of point to having a rogue. Presumably, you'd get the abilities earlier than the priest but I'm not sure that is sufficient to make up for everything else the priest also brings to the table.

The most powerful Rogue abilities would still be exclusive to Rogue, like Shadowing Beyond, Finishing Blow, Shadow Step and especially Deathblows. Skaen sneak attack also doesn't need to be as powerful as the Rogue one, just enough to not feel useless, i.e. if the Rogue one is 50% Skaen should be 30-35% (Prey on the Weak + Apprentice's Sneak Attack was 35%). Unless they decide to give Skaen access to EVERY ability Rogues have, but that seems unlikely.

Prime Junta

Those ship schematics look way better than the one they've been showing off until now. If the one in the game is as much improved it will remove one of my peeves with it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What in the ass? If you're going to use a publisher, at least us someone who can get the job done, not some one-man indie who runs his company from his grandpa's broom closet.

Flou

Arbiter
Interesting choice of a publisher. Does Versus Evil release boxed version of the game as well? I don't recall Paradox doing anything except shipping out the Kickstarer stuff to backers (quite fucking late) and getting some boxed copies out to stores. Most of the marketing will be done via Fig anyways. I think Paradox did few streams and nothing spectacular that another company couldn't do.
If this means more dollars to Obsidian instead of Paradox/Versus Evil, good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah Obsidian will probably take on the bulk of the marketing/PR-type responsibilities themselves, so they were just looking for the best deal on everything else.

Paradox have BattleTech to publish now so it's not like they've been left with nothing. :P

BTW Versus Evil was founded by an ex-Bethesda guy, maybe they know him from New Vegas?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Now I'm really curious about the wizard spell lists. Please please please let there be an Invisibility spell.

And then let me play Assassin/Illusionist.
  • Assassin - From stealth or invisibility, weapon attacks have bonus damage, Penetration, and Accuracy. All incoming damage is increased.

Shadowdancer could be your option in this new system.

About this new publisher thing : Obsidian really makes some weird and questionable choices. Its hard to understand why they take such unnecessary risks.

Fargo Feargus always talk about bad luck, but looking at this kind of decision...

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Is publisher that important for a PC only release? /if that publisher doesn't effect the content and dlc plans etc in a negative way.

Fry

Arcane
Versus Evil is US-based. Considering the only real market for retail copies is in Europe, I doubt there will any physical boxes beyond what they make for backers.

Prime Junta

Honest question, can anyone explain to me the appeal of physical boxes in this age of digital distribution? I had a bunch of old ones and just tossed them when I was cleaning out the attic some years ago.

(I do get the appeal of collector's editions, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Just the basic deal, of a box with a DVD and a booklet in it.)

Fry

Arcane
There was still a point to it when they were putting game install discs in the boxes. Now that PC "retail" is basically just a plastic box with a download code inside, I have no idea why anyone would bother.

Sentinel

Arcane
Honest question, can anyone explain to me the appeal of physical boxes in this age of digital distribution? I had a bunch of old ones and just tossed them when I was cleaning out the attic some years ago.

(I do get the appeal of collector's editions, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Just the basic deal, of a box with a DVD and a booklet in it.)
It's very much the same appeal of Vinyl disks for music. Having physical contact with a product, and in the case of kickstarter games, big manuals where you can look at art and read the lore while taking a shit, is fucking great, and you can't really get the same feeling looking at the stuff on your screen.

pomenitul

Arbiter

Paging Roguey.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Vinyl records are perceived to have higher quality sound, whether that is true or not doesn't matter in this case, so it's not really the same. The best argument for physical copies is that they are physical, you don't need the internet to install them whenever you want. If the physical copy contains the actual disks that is. Other than that I don't really know, it's a collector's mindset maybe.

I was taking a peek at the site. Do we know the name of the midget orlan companion?

Serafen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom