Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What attributes should shooting be based on?

Stella Brando

Arcane
Perception, because it's most important to have a good eye?

Dexterity, because it's about being quick on the draw and how you handle your weapon?

Should popular abilities like shooting and fighting just be there own attributes?

What do you think?

boot

Prophet
luck and skill

or like JA2 1.13, use all the stats to effect different aspects of weapon handling.

T. Reich

Arcane
Mostly both perception and dexterity, some strength.

Perception = brain/eye aiming skills. Both hit chance (knowing how to aim) and max accuracy range (actually seeing shit + knowing how to aim + knowing how to gauge distance to target) depend on it.
Dexterity = manual aiming skills and weapon handling. Affects hit chance (shaky hands/bad posture = shit accuracy), firing rate, draw/holster speed, reloading speed, and recoil to a lesser extent. Also strongly influences accuracy in the run&gun situations - someone who tries to shoot on the move or right after moving, will have a harder time aiming properly and quickly than someone who had some time to stay still and take aim.
Strength is required to handle heavier guns - most rifles weigh more than 4 kilos, a lot of higher caliber guns/machineguns will weigh more than that. Lacking strength should negatively influence accuracy with such weapons unless shooting in a prone position. Also affects recoil to a great extent, especially if using sustained auto fire, doubly so while standing up.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
In RL?

eyesight
fast reflexes
steady nerves
coolness under fire
hand-eye coordination
breathing control
focus
concentration
situational awareness
to ability to kill another human being at will without hesitation
technique
repetition
mental intuitive understanding of ballistics (gravity at longer range)
intuition and experience leading a moving target depending on speed and range
firearm characteristics (bipod, muzzle brake, etc.)

Translate that into RPG speak however you like.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
D&D would be pure Dex, with a min Str for size of weapon.
Fallout would be Perception, Agility, luck for crits I suppose

For rifles, I'd use Agility, Perception
For handguns, I'd use Agility/reflexes/speed/whatever, less perception
For heavy weapons, Strength, maybe Perception, but mitigate agility since you aren't going to be swinging around a chaingun
For mortars, Int and Perception, I suppose

I think it would be neat to change the rules based on range as well. Pistols at long range use luck/perception. Rifles at short range use agility. Heavy weapons at long range use luck/str/perception.

In the end, I'd probably make the rules slightly different for the range and weapon size, to make specializing in guns a little more customized. It would be fun to create a system where builds are more specific.

laclongquan

Arcane
It depends on how completely RL you intend that skill to be

Strength requirement. There's some guns some people simply can not shoot, like big caliber handgun (handcannon) and small girls. They just dont have the strength to hold it to shoot.

Perception is obvious.

Endurance. This depend on whether you put a stamina cost on action (ie shooting) and endurance limit stamina, for example.

Charisma: useless unless you put a nicely expensive gun enhance your Charisma.

Intelligence: some complex gun may be beyond stupid people to shoot. Example? Cannons, mortars, rocket launchers, etc...

Agility: This depend on if you put a time-to-act cost on that action, and agility decide the amount of time you have. If you put it as move phase and shoot phase, it mean you can shoot depsite your low AGI, then that mean AGI dependence is lower.

Luck: this should affect critical hit chance, and critical damage table.

Shooting skill itself.

Covenant

Savant
Translate that into RPG speak however you like.

When I was a kid we just had Skill / Stamina / Luck.

Sounds like a dating sim now that I think about it.

Test your Luck to see if the school nerdy girl will touch your penis. If you succeed, turn to paragraph 365.

If you fail, you are doomed to be forever alone. Although you survive the initial heartbreak, your life becomes a slow and steady decline until your eventual death by misadventure (a poorly advised choke-wank gone awry). Your adventure ends here.

deama

Prophet
Perception -- responsible for 50% of the accuracy, responsible for 30% of crit chance, responsible for 70% of crit damage multiplier.

Dexterity -- responsible for 20% of the accuracy, responsible for 75% of the speed of reloading, swapping guns, movement, etc...

Strength -- responsible for 80% of recoil reduction and whether or not being able to hold heavier guns.

Luck -- responsible for 30% of the accuracy, responsible for 25% of the speed of reloading, swapping guns, movement, etc...
responsible for 20% of the recoil reduction, responsible for 70% of crit chance and 30% of the crit damage multiplier.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Perception, because it's most important to have a good eye?

Really more important for spotting, actual aiming when you know what your aiming at can be done with pretty poor eyesight. And before anyone starts screaming, I'm just speaking from personal experience, my aiming eye is "lazy" (blurry vision) but does the job better then my good eye because it just feels more natural.

I'd say manipulation, focus and strength are way more important then perception. So Dex and strength I guess. That being said I understand why perception is usually used the way it is.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Pretty much all of your attributes contribute to that, maybe except charisma. Unless you count some "show tits to distract enemies" ability.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Strength for every gun, not just "heavier" weapons. Even handguns. Anyone who says otherwise has never fired a weapon in real life. Then whatever your accuracy stat is, for natural talent, followed by skill/level. Training is huge. Like everything, the more you do it the better you get at it.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
There should be one ability called "hit enemy with things".

There should be another ability called "avoid bad things".

And then there should be an ability called "make NPC friendly".

All NPC's should be naked and every dialogue should be voiced with music playing in the background.

Freddie

Savant
Strength for every gun, not just "heavier" weapons. Even handguns. Anyone who says otherwise has never fired a weapon in real life. Then whatever your accuracy stat is, for natural talent, followed by skill/level. Training is huge. Like everything, the more you do it the better you get at it.
Some smaller gauge shotguns are quite light.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom