Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

I just finished the prologue, jumped into the ship with my undead dwarf and proceded to fuck Fane.

Can I get to be his boyfriend, or was I just a one night stand for him?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I haven't fought a dragon but I ended yesterday with three failed attempt at the scarecrows. I'm going to give it another try now. They fucking suck, but I have thought of some things to try. That is the majority of the appeal of this game to me though - these types of encounters that require actually trying and even needing to level and upgrade gear
768D60t.jpg
Just sent them back to the void , this skill was what made that fight . It's increadibly cheap encounter actually , but not much of a problem once you get rid of the leader .
I just finished the prologue, jumped into the ship with my undead dwarf and proceded to fuck Fane.

Can I get to be his boyfriend, or was I just a one night stand for him?

Thanks for the information but I am not looking at it. I could help but see the earth potion response but I only use consumables in boss fights. All the fun of this is figuring it out myself. If I can't win a non-boss fight without resorting to consumables or looking up help or something the system beat me. The whole point is to beat the system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With each passing day this sounds more and more like Dragon Age II with a lot more time: streamlined character system, controversial combat system changes, somewhat different art style, edgy polarizing companions (but without a universally-liked bro like Varric), enemies popping up out of nowhere encounter design, everyone-is-bisexual romances.

Right down to people who prefer this one over the first. :troll:

Funny thing to say when DA2 was the game that took away the ability to play as multiple races, not the one that added it.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With each passing day this sounds more and more like Dragon Age II with a lot more time: streamlined character system, controversial combat system changes, somewhat different art style, edgy polarizing companions (but without a universally-liked bro like Varric), enemies popping up out of nowhere encounter design, everyone-is-bisexual romances.

Right down to people who prefer this one over the first. :troll:
Exaggerating a lot
The character system is not streamlined. It's basically the same with some differences that don't make it necessarily simpler - just different.
The art style is the same I don't understand where anyone saw differences? They just added more races and stuff.
Companions are not edgy and polarizing? They're just kinda snobbish for their own reasons.
And Beast is universally accepted as a cool dude.
"enemies popping up out of nowhere encounter design" I didn't see that yet but I didn't progress too much and since people are talking about it I guess it happens some times?
For sure not even as often as in DA2 though. There it was the first thing I noticed in like half an hour. In D:OS2 in my first 15 or something hours I didn't see that yet.

Romances I dunno about and the combat changes are controversial indeed but nothing so dramatic

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The item scaling really pisses me off, if they're going to have stupid MMO type items they may as well have gear that can scale with your level (if this is already a "feature I've not seen it so far) How immersion breaking is it to replace your godly forged hammer unique with a piece of driftwood with a rock attached because you are higher level and it does more damage does not make sense. Even Pillars had a better gear system than this game and that game was "balanced".

Also to the people mentioning the SJWism in the game yes I am noticing it. Be really cool if I can have a checkbox option to turn faggotry off just because I talk to one of my henchmen for RP does not mean I want them to poz my neghole, did they hire bioware writers at larian or something??

Ventidius

Arbiter
"enemies popping up out of nowhere encounter design" I didn't see that yet but I didn't progress too much and since people are talking about it I guess it happens some times?

Yeah, this is massive hyperbole. There are, of course, a few cases that I can remember OTOH of enemies literally appearing out of nowhere instead of occupying a fixed and visible position. One is that Trumpdoy fight where the guy teleports out of nowhere, though that fight in general was kind of gimmicky/puzzle-like. Other instances include various encounters in the ravines west of Driftwood where Dwarves pop out of of nowhere occupying high ground in ambush and one undead guy with 2 dogs ambushes you near some chests. That seems, however, to have been the general theme of that area. Radeka is also kind of like this since she summons a horde you have no way of seeing coming as soon as combat starts. That last one is probably the cheapest of the bunch. Also, voidwoken worms seem to often surface suddendly, but these guys are arguably the trash mobs of this game, so they should not be an issue either way.

In general though, you are usually given the chance start engagements on your own terms. Since most of the enemies occupy fixed positions, you can usually get a clue of what lies ahead so long as you do proper scouting by a combination of sneaking and having a vanguard character that can easily retreat from sticky situations, with something like Tactical Retreat. Then it is a matter of using mobility skills like teleport or finding some way around (the overworld areas have been open enough to allow this so far) to set up a counter-ambush of your own, which can be very satisfying when successfully executed.

One of my favorites in this regard was the encounter with the skeletons and the voidwoken in the marsh. I found a way behind their position that was blocked by a ridge and teleported Ifan(ranger) to the other side, he lured the voidwoken, used teleport gloves to send him to the other side and then used tactical retreat to get Ifan back. Cut off and surrounded, voidwoken was slaughtered. Then I circled around and smashed his skeleton buddies.

The game really allows you to get creative with stratagems apart from tactics, and even encourages you to, since the enemies are usually well-positioned. It is the latter fact that probably makes people feel they are constantly getting waylaid, but this can in most cases be countered with patience and prep. Of course you are gonna get caught with your pants down if you just run around mindlessly. Even Alexandar, which was a major boss encounter, has a fixed position which you can choose to approach in many ways.

As I said, there are definetely a few ambushes, but so long as they are a minority (and they are) of the encounters, I don't think anyone should have a problem with them, they are a venerable RPG tradition and they spice things up quite a bit.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Who knew the fate of the world rested in the hands of a retarded knife.

Yeah, holy shit, the same thing happened to me in DOS1, I threw away some useless piece of paper BECAUSE OF THE TRADEMARK LARIAN ITEM BLOW UP and 5 hours later I find out it was a quest item. Luckily it was a side quest.

Vinkce, you fucking dolt, you CAN'T have a game with THIS kindda item inflation and NOT use quest item inventory lock or some such. Btw google obsidian lancet - a lot of people threw that shit away and regretted.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I threw away the Obsidian Lancet that is required for the first ritual during the main quest when you meet your God. Aapparently I have to do the ritual again after 50 hours of gameplay, but...I no longer have the Obsidian Lancet to draw blood from myself anymore because I sold it/threw it, essentially giving me an unofficial GAME OVER. Fuck if I remember what I did with the knife, it was like 40+ hours ago. Who knew the fate of the world rested in the hands of a retarded knife.

This bullshit pissed me off so much, I shelved the game. I don't think any other game destroyed my mood to play it as much as this one. So yeah, if you guys are missing the Obsidian Lancet OR/AND the Ritual Bowl and you have no idea where you've placed it, you're fucking screwed.

Brought to you by RPG Codex, a place where people complain about modern RPGs being made for retarded children and about devs aiming their games at brain-dead casuals who can't handle quest items unless game forbids them from doing dumb stuff with important artifacts.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not my image , but still .
15058321540360.png

Looks like Larian really meant it saying "Become a hottie lizard" in the trailer
Right ?

BTW I am lvl 6 and still no talent points. This is a bug, isn't it?
After level 3 you don't get another talent till you are 8 or 9 , I can't remember .
My bad, I meant to quote myself with this:

I have a question: in the tower you get into after passing through the maze on the west side of the island, how are you supposed to disable the fire trap?

I just used teleportation.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I jest, but they'd better insert some sort of workaround for people who can't handle quest items. Like someone nearby ready to give you the item for a huge sum of money or questgiver getting the item himself and punishing you with less XP reward.

Sjukob

Arcane
I have a question: in the tower you get into after passing through the maze on the west side of the island, how are you supposed to disable the fire trap?

I just used teleportation
I did the same , just loot the room behind the locked door . This area is not a big deal .

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't get the criticism on the AI. For having played DOS EE recently, it's obvious that AI has been improved. It even has its moments. An exemple from 10 minutes ago : my wayfarer (Ifan) have the initiative and cast fossil strike on the enemy before using tactical retreat to get higher ground. Enemy cast nether swap on my wayfarer to exchange position so that Ifan himself stuck in the oil pond he had just summoned and shot from higher ground.

Frankly I see the AI having lesser meh moments and making good moves more often. Like those char skeletons casting fireball in the pit so its friendly fire heal them or NPCs placing themselves with a wall in the back to avoid being backstabbed.

Haven't played as many crpg as most people here, but really, as a DD3.5 ruleset enthusiast ; I'd even put DOS just after TOEE in terms of tactical fun.

But yes, an ingame encyclopedia with all skills attributes and talents fully described is excruciatingly missing. The descriptions we have now are much too imprecise.

About WIT's attribute uselessness, what about critical hits ? Also, does anybody here understand what exactly is the use of the savage sortilege talent ?
The criticism vs. the AI really just stems from the issues with the problematic subsystems of armor and the round robin turn-order, as well as a few cases of it acting completely retarded in terms of movement.

The armor system makes them ignore surfaces, but often they ignore it even if they have very little armor, making them throw themselves into flaming infernos for no reason, and the round-robin system prevents the enemy (as well as the player) from doing proper set-ups, partially due to the extremely rapidly changing combat landscape. Whereas before, the enemy or the player would move barrels and then have another enemy/player set it off, this only happens now if someone is completely outnumbering someone else (and thus clusters toward the end of the round turn-order), because if the enemy were to put an oil barrel on top of me, I'd simply pick it up or throw it back and set it on fire.

As well as the two above, the AI seems to do this fucking retarded thing all the time where it steps away from someone with Opportunist for no reason. Just yesterday, before finally shelving the game because I could no longer put up with the round robin initiative system, there was an enemy that stepped away from the Red Prince, taking an attack of opportunity, only to turn around and use a touch-attack spell. I've also seen enemies stuck in fire, running between two allies each turn, taking fire damage, just to hit them once - instead of hitting the one they were standing at twice.

The criticism is warranted, but overall, yes, the AI has improved somewhat - I only wish that it got a chance to actually utilize that consistently.

[...]

I also noticed that having an Undead in the group only has disadvantages so far (I'm in chapter 4 and I haven't seen any of that notorious death fog). You can't heal them with regular healing spells which kind of fucks up the group dynamic in combat.
I'm sorry what? Undead is nothing but advantages. They gain health by standing in ooze, without soaking it up (whereas Leech soaks up blood, for some fucking reason, making sure you never get to use the Necromancy skill Blood Sucker with a Leech), you can run across said ooze multiple times to get health, you can freely turn health potions into poison, so that's not an issue, and you have infinite lockpicks. It's so insane that it feels almost stupid not to have every skelly as a thief. Furthermore, as a skeleton, you cannot bleed.

No idea why they felt that undead should have so many advantages with absolutely zero trade-offs. Fuck, after a while, you can even get a helmet that lets you imitate every single racial in the game. If I wanted to min-max and if I could, I'd run nothing but a full party of undead.

You can't blame summoning for not synergizing with necromancy when necromancy doesn't even synergize with itself. Half the skills get a bonus from nearby corpses, and the other half destroy nearby corpses.
Yes, it's an odd dynamic - it's not like the game is littered with corpses in any one single combat encounter. Corpse Explosion-type abilities in games often rely on a snowball effect, but snowballing just doesn't happen here - and it really shouldn't.

In regards to quests, Witcher 3 has some of the best quests in any rpg, bloody baron, the blood and wine dlc main quest line.
As good as The Witcher 3's writing is, you're interacting with each quest the same way. The extent of the investigation phase is following highlighted tracks. The preparation phase is all but negated by instant potions/oils, so finding the identity of a monster before engaging isn't the high priority it should be. That just leaves combat. Here's some options to escape Fort Joy, one of the first main quests in DOS2:

- Storm the gates
- Piss off the guards and get sent to jail, then break out
- Bypass the guards with a teleportation glove earned from an optional sidequest
- Learn of a secret underground passageway through at least two other sidequests and find a shovel

There might be more. Point is I'm being encouraged to think about it.
From the entrance to the fort, I walked straight up to the statue of Lucian, took the first option to inspect it, found a secret hatch that lead into the prison for some reason, and then I simply walked out of the fort.

I mean, sure, yeah, there's different ways out of the fort, that's cool, but that was extremely underwhelming, honestly.

BTW I am lvl 6 and still no talent points. This is a bug, isn't it?

If talents are the last tab and are sort of like feats, I think yes. I got one at level 1 I am almost certain, and almost certain again I got at least another one by level 6. I forget what level I am now but I have at least three points. I'm around, or just under level 10.
I got one at level 3 but that was it. I wonder if this is being discussed on Larian's forums.
Nothing of value is being discussed at the Larian forums. The vast majority of people don't even pay attention to what's going on in the game or how it works, and the few people that actually want to discuss potential issues and solutions gets buried by the retards shouting NOTHING IS WRONG YOU JUST WANT IT EASIER THE GAME ISN'T HARD HOW CAN YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY THIS IS AMAZING SHUT UP.

[...]
The character system is not streamlined. It's basically the same with some differences that don't make it necessarily simpler - just different.
Stop. Just stop.
The character system isn't "just different", it's very clearly simplified. Now, you might prefer that, but no way, no how, is it "just different". It is very clearly and with clarity of intent been stripped down to be easily manageable, balanceable, and understandable, and depth has suffered because of it. Defend that all you want, but saying that it's "not necessarily simpler" is pure horseshit. It is very evidently simpler and many of the modifiers flat-out don't exist anymore.

The art style is the same I don't understand where anyone saw differences? They just added more races and stuff.
Not sure why anyone would choose this hill to die on, but the art style is very evidently quite different. D:OS1 was cartoony and very vibrant. D:OS2 is a lot more photorealistic, and a lot more muted. Really, you can hold up screenshots side-by-side and you'd have to be blind not to notice it. Overall, I would probably preferred if they'd kept a little bit more of D:OS1, but when push comes to shove, I'd say that D:OS2 is definitely an improvement.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Who knew the fate of the world rested in the hands of a retarded knife.

Yeah, holy shit, the same thing happened to me in DOS1, I threw away some useless piece of paper BECAUSE OF THE TRADEMARK LARIAN ITEM BLOW UP and 5 hours later I find out it was a quest item. Luckily it was a side quest.

Vinkce, you fucking dolt, you CAN'T have a game with THIS kindda item inflation and NOT use quest item inventory lock or some such. Btw google obsidian lancet - a lot of people threw that shit away and regretted.
Do you really need the lance? I think to progress to act 3 you need to know the location of Mist Island. I remember having option to sail without finishing getting stoned by source smoke. Second time gives you Vampirism. Also if you finish ALL options to increase source dots Daemona the elf-gargoyle summons you on ship with owl.

.....but seriously guys, who doesn't put anything that looks questy into separate bag together with all books and suspicious looking crafting materials? I mean, you even have Enteprise and inventory option to store items on it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
.....but seriously guys, who doesn't put anything that looks questy into separate bag together with all books and suspicious looking crafting materials? I mean, you even have Enteprise and inventory option to store items on it.
This. Anyone that aren't hoarders don't belong on this website. Any experienced RPG veteran should know by now that throwing something away is haram.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
It would be dandy and nice, if the containers wasnt so awfully designed, that you can't just click to store item, oh no, you have to drag every fucking thing to store it in a barrel or chest.

Edit: And how fucked i am when my saves passed the 7mb mark? I heard about save bloat and memory leak, currently the game can take 5-6 gb of ram, that's a little too much in my book. Gotta buy another 8gb stick then.

Niklasgunner

Savant
I think I'll just uninstall, wait half a year and try playing again. I've played until level 13 and explored half of the second act, if I stop now I'll have have about half the game ahead of me right?

I can see that there is a REALLY good game here, I've had fun, but there are so many bugs, mind boggling balance and design decisions that just taint the launch experience, so bad that it makes my blood boil.
The fact alone that most attempts to fix the first games issues are even worse, just how?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Locking quest items should be normal procedure in any game. Sloppy work by Larian again. Especially becuase of the insane item bloat this game and D:OS 1 has.
Item micromanagement in D:;OS 2 is a minigame in and of itself. Not a fun one, tho. People probably spend hours in total rearranging shit

Sjukob

Arcane
Red Prince's story edge just got multiplied by over 9000 . The dialogue at the graveyard made me nervously click Beast and Ifan to try and get some rational thoughts out of them . I think the game is getting to me and I'm starting to lose it . It's not funny anymore .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom