Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a huge success, has already sold nearly 500,000 copies

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Divine divinity have far better writing than D:OS 1,2.By the way does anyone knows what is the original sing the games???

Tao

Savant
The UI is still horrible, that hotbar kills me everytime in particular: Can you use a skill without putting it in the quickbar? How do you make the game put skills in the 2nd bar automaticaly when the first one is full? There is nothing more tedious that use a polymorph skill, press k, switch to 2nd/3er bar, drag and drop the skill in the bar, then use it. I REALLY hope they bring back someday the circular ui of NWN for spells/skills.

About that:

-I still dont like how is implementet and mixed in the same bag skills with magic, and the whole combat/civil points.

-what is the point to have a psudo spellbook when you can just interchange skills on the fly, the memory stat is only an artificial way to limit and lock skills in combat... The game need a bit more of d&d or a true classless system here (or something better, i dunno).

Quite a lot of journal and tracking quest bugs too tho. It shows the game was rush a bit.

Overall great game, i love how interactive and reactive the game is, how good being a rogue works outside combat, the multiple solutions, etc. It feels like truly doing rol. Plus thanks for not forcing on us the coop system like the previous game.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
Speaking of the awful VA of the narrator, Fane isn't much better. For one of the ANCIENTS he sounds like he just entered the rebelling against his parents phase.

I really can't take an undead seriously if it doesn't have a rough voice.

*cough* The entire conundrum of undead vocalising speech in DOS2 is explained in the *cough* lore.

Metatron

Augur
Seems like a very solid game.
Wonder what the Codex has to bitch about this time?
Image beloved established top 10 Codex Classics like Arcanum (HARMSPAM!), Fallout (dumbfucks devs really thought single player turn based combat with very limited options and retard companion would be tacticool lol), Vampire Bloodlines (shitty action game, unfinished), Baldurs Gate (SJW Aerie bullshit), Planescape Torment (why so many trash rats when terrible RTWP?) being released in 2017. The usual circlejerking edgelords desperate for Codex recognition would be working overtime to run every single one of them into the ground since this is the only thing they have in their pathetic lives. Pure misery.
Of course there are some bugs still to be ironed out (unlike most of those established classics these things will actually be addressed by Larian in the coming weeks and months) and there will be some rebalancing necessary in the future especially on tactician mode since the game is obviously more balanced around Classic mode but D:OS2 is definitely fine and incorporates many elements anyone who is here because they like classic RPGs (instead of being a retard with too much free time bitter about everything looking for cred among likeminded sorry individuals) should enjoy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Some elements of the game are shit.

Some elements of the game are good.

The good outweigh the shit.

Same as with most of the Codex classics.
I agree with you.The biggest positive of the game is that there is not many real rpgs coming out and people are starved for a decent rpg.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats.
Underrail is what others will say which is again very good combat wise but still not in such a level
I really like combat in DR, connecteв to its universe and lore, with all its brutal charm.
Really like Underrail with its "what's in this cave?", but can't honestly say that combat is better in one of the three - AoD, Underrail, DOS2.
These games are best of the best in TB RPG, and best in different ways, and I can't say I will prefer someone of them.
If I should pick only one I'll go mad.
Is AoD\Underrail\DOS2 combat good? Yes, definitely, but all in various areas, which complement game style for each other.
Also, don't know how you guys can separate combat from actual game with its content lol.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats.
Underrail is what others will say which is again very good combat wise but still not in such a level
I really like combat in DR, connecteв to its universe and lore, with all its brutal charm.
Really like Underrail with its "what's in this cave?", but can't honestly say that combat is better in one of the three - AoD, Underrail, DOS2.
These games are best of the best in TB RPG, and best in different ways, and I can't say I will prefer someone of them.
If I should pick only one I'll go mad.
Is AoD\Underrail\DOS2 combat good? Yes, definitely, but all in various areas, which complement game style for each other.
Also, don't know how you guys can separate combat from actual game with its content lol.
We don't separate it. Combat is not only mechanics and options, but encounter design, map design and the rest (like if game has level scaling, if it allows you to fight much stronger enemies and win with good tactics).

Ha! So glad that depth gets better, even slowly. yay yay. ooh.

Alright, now somen please make an rpg where i can examine what's around me and do something to it. I really want a Stasis like rpg, you know?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Image beloved established top 10 Codex Classics like Arcanum (HARMSPAM!), Fallout (dumbfucks devs really thought single player turn based combat with very limited options and retard companion would be tacticool lol), Vampire Bloodlines (shitty action game, unfinished), Baldurs Gate (SJW Aerie bullshit), Planescape Torment (why so many trash rats when terrible RTWP?) being released in 2017. The usual circlejerking edgelords desperate for Codex recognition would be working overtime to run every single one of them into the ground since this is the only thing they have in their pathetic lives. Pure misery.
Of course there are some bugs still to be ironed out (unlike most of those established classics these things will actually be addressed by Larian in the coming weeks and months) and there will be some rebalancing necessary in the future especially on tactician mode since the game is obviously more balanced around Classic mode but D:OS2 is definitely fine and incorporates many elements anyone who is here because they like classic RPGs (instead of being a retard with too much free time bitter about everything looking for cred among likeminded sorry individuals) should enjoy.
*checks IP*
Ah, daher weht der Wind.

Thanks for stopping by BRO, and for your valuable insight! And remember: the romance dialogues are not yet cringe worthy enough, and faggots/trannies/other sexual deviants should be more numerous. Basically, you're doing it wrong as long as there's still a single normal NPC left in the game. If you want to make it big in Kwanzoonia, you need to push the envelope way further when it comes to degeneracy of any kind.

And now bugger off.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
D:OS was one of the few games released this decade that I really had fun playing.

Which means that I'm terrified by the idea of the sequel not being as good. Maybe it is better that I never actually launch the game.

South Park
Is a better RPG than PoE.
without dumbing it down and/or compromising it by mixing with other genres.
:hahano:

So far I found ZERO improvements over D:OS and a lot of :decline:. The cringe worthy writing is still every bit as cringy, the cancerous MMO-like itemization is still there, the autistic junk collection system is worse than ever and OFC the fucking shields. I don't know who suggested removing the old saving throws and replacing them with the current system, but here is what I suggest should be done with them:

I've been playing this game in very short bursts simply because of how utterly "meh" it is. "oops, got killed. Time to level scale my items and use the exact same strategy". "Great, shields are down, time to spam the CC" or, better yet "fuck, OUR shields are down. Time to get stunlocked and killed. Might as well reload instead of wasting more time" and the good old "oops, stumbled in a fight with an enemy 2+ levels ahead of me. Can't possibly win because stupid scaling. Such strategy, much wow."

So the recipe for "saving" the cRPG genre is: muh multiplayer + muh cooking simulator + muh junk collection simulator + muh level scaled loot + [insert other decline I forgot about here]. Just let the genre die an honorable death already. This is getting pathetic.

I pretty much agree with all this. I like Larian and am happy for their success, but they don't really make games that appeal to me.

I really can't stand the random MMO colored based loot systems. It destroys the narrative of the game world to me. I much prefer loot like in icewind dale where unique items have history and backstory that compliments and makes sense in the game world. That type of loot contributes to the story instead of being just a bunch of random abilities with random % bonuses.

I also really dislike games where you collect bits of string, some candle wax, a wine bottle cork etc, and carry it all around with you the whole game. I hate crafting, but do like a few well placed and purposefully designed item enhancements. Crafting ruins a lot of the reward for finding treasure. Games that have crafting and MMO type loot turn the entire concept of a magic item and of adventurers scouring the depths and the ends of the earth for hidden treasure, into a mundane chore. When some farmers wife sells more powerful items than you find from defeating dangerous monsters or NPC's, it turns the game into a boring trudge imo.

HAving said all that I truly am happy for Larian, though it may not have come across well in the above rant.

Grumpy Grognard

Inn Between Worlds
Developer
There is a middle ground between obsidian balance and tactician being easy mode because summoner is so strong that everything else pales in comparison.
Oh well there's an overpowered class in a single player CRPG... Who cares?
I find it much more preferable to have weaker and stronger choices than to balance everything so that no matter what you pick, the challenge stays the same

Good point. 'Balance' is relative and contextual and should feature contrasts... There should be risks to take, decisions to make... None of this 'there are no bad builds' bullshit. PoE cough cough.

... Although the summoner thing - summons are almost always OP. Tangent.

The advantages of spawning an ally into existence are huge. Depending on the AI, you can use a summon to (a) render yourself effectively invisible when AI attack it (b) damage/effects dealt and applied to enemies (c) use the aforementioned distraction to buff, heal, attack, retreat whatever. They're inherently overpowered, and I suspect most RPG combat systems don't account for the 'emergent' imbalance they create.

That said, if AI target selection/aggro systems are effective enough, you could in theory account for it in enemy logic, but in a raw system (and in.. .every CRPG i can think of) they always kick ass, unless they're pissweak - but even then you can still use them as cannon fodder / buy yourself a turn or whatever.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You strawmaning a bit here, nobody claimed any of those games were perfect and they have nothing to do with this discussion. People are pissed of that mechanics that worked okay on D:OS 1 were all butchered on the sequel in the name of balance nobody asked for, this is more than a legitimate claim. Okay, Fallout 1 and Torment had crappy parts too, so what? Does this make the broken initiative system, the broken armour system, the broken attributes, the ole MMORPG style loot better?

If the combat is an inferior version of the previous game, what is left? The setting, the lore, the story? Someone truly play Larian games for their settings and writing? Who is this crazy person?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think the MMO loot could have been fixed had they settled on a different attribute/skill system.
As of now the game still has designated chests with loot levels. Basically they wanted to cater to every build people would come up with, the only restriction being that heavy armor requires strength, leather finesse and cloth intelligence. Instead of randomizing the stat distributions so that every unconventional build would have a chance for decent loot, they could have instead restricted equipment bonuses to stuff that works outside the skills and attributes, such as damage/resistance increases. Skill, attribute and utility bonuses could have been left to runes and equipment that has no attribute requirement, as in belts and jewelry.
Crafting is also something they should have rethought. Because there is a ton of consumable types with all the different food, potions, arrowheads and grenades even without crafting managing the inventory is a nightmare, especially since you have to manually right click and tag stuff for autosale. Crafting should have been more restricted to novel utility stuff, like combining nails with boots for slipping immunity in icy surfaces and just leave unimportant stuff like cooking out altogether and simplify others so you wouldn't have to have a billion elements and plants taking space.

Metatron

Augur
*checks IP*
Ah, daher weht der Wind.

Thanks for stopping by BRO, and for your valuable insight! And remember: the romance dialogues are not yet cringe worthy enough, and faggots/trannies/other sexual deviants should be more numerous. Basically, you're doing it wrong as long as there's still a single normal NPC left in the game. If you want to make it big in Kwanzoonia, you need to push the envelope way further when it comes to degeneracy of any kind.

And now bugger off.

This post epitomizes everything that is wrong with the codex in 2017.
I never even said anything about wanting romance-related stuff in games (I couldn't care less as long as they can be easily avoided (Aerie was the first one I kicked from the party in BG2) and aren't half the content like in nu-Bioware faggotry) and they aren't even such a big thing in this game, in fact: even the usual tear-everything-down crew doesn't seem to bothered by them. But that doesn't matter because obviously you haven't played a minute of the game yet but that's okay because that's not what 2017 Codex is about so that doesn't stop you from going into a completely unrelated rant about how much you hate all that stuff. Good for you big man, you really showed those nasty faggots with that post!
Imagine being a game developer coming to the Codex in 2017 and the first thing you read is some clownish caricature (a codex staff member no less) frothing at the mound ranting inanely without specific reason about how much he hates sexual deviancy in a random game thread thinking this somehow makes him the man. I'd get the hell out of here asap and can you blame them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Imagine being a game developer coming to the Codex in 2017 and the first thing you read is some clownish caricature (a codex staff member no less) frothing at the mound ranting inanely without specific reason about how much he hates sexual deviancy in a random game thread thinking this somehow makes him the man. I'd get the hell out of here asap.

good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom