Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want a good multiplayer third person shooter.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I play on PC. I'm looking for an alternative to Max Payne 3, which is fun, but getting repetitive. It's also unbalanced and has bad matchmaking that drives most people away.

To be honest, I'm not expecting to find one here. They're almost all in first person. But maybe there is something I haven't thought of.

What I've tried...

Metal Gear Solid V - Meh. I liked MGS3 and 4's multiplayer better.
The Division - Ruined by leveling system.
Grand Theft Auto V - Boring versus maps and mediocre controls.
Warframe - Couldn't get into it at all. Though, I never actually played it with other people.

I play on PC. I'm looking for an alternative to Max Payne 3, which is fun, but getting repetitive. It's also unbalanced and has bad matchmaking that drives most people away.

Is that even still alive? Last time I tried I couldn't find any games. Was really fun for a while though.

Really not much to choose from when it comes to third person games it seems. The longest time I've spend on MP TPS was GTA IV Team Mafia Work mode, which played like this - everyone gets the same objective and fights over who does it. Killing other players still counts toward team score, but completing objectives much more so. Objectives themselves are nothing special - kill these dudes, pick up an item and deliver it, etc. The fact that everybody else is on your ass while you are trying to complete it resulted in some major fun and in larger games (32 players) there was some beautiful insanity to be witnessed. GTA V toned down physics and removed this game mode for MP from what I heard so I never was interested in buying it for MP. I guess it's probably dead now though, couldn't confirm last time I tried because I couldn't recover my goddamn LIVE account.

I've been just sticking to Left 4 Dead 2 versus and Age of Empires III for my PVP needs since.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Is that even still alive? Last time I tried I couldn't find any games. Was really fun for a while though.
I was just in a match with seven other players. But most of the time, it's barely active. You need to check TDM and Deathmatch in both Soft Lock and Free Aim. I think a lot of the players use Soft Lock, unfortunately.

I've been just sticking to Left 4 Dead 2 versus and Age of Empires III for my PVP needs since.
L4D2 is what I've been spending most of my multiplayer time on in the last few years. I'm bad at versus, though, so I stick to coop.

Last edited:
I was just in a match with seven other players. But most of the time, it's barely active. You need to check TDM and Deathmatch in both Soft Lock and Free Aim. I think a lot of the players use Soft Lock, unfortunately.

Then it's as good as dead. Fuck it. Rockstar Social Club is even bigger cancer than Windows Live anyway.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Then it's as good as dead. Fuck it. Rockstar Social Club is even bigger cancer than Windows Live anyway.
On the plus side, if they're using Soft Lock, they're probably bad anyway. Some of them dominate with that garbage, though. It's so disappointing that Rockstar put that into a series that never had it and then made it the default. Even worse is when these lock on losers use bomb suits, rocket launchers and the sawed off, which has ridiculous range for a shotgun with such a short barrel.

They pride themselves on their skill while playing in the most boring way.

I never had much success with that shit, from what I remember I could only reach "top player" status when going light armor + pistols. But I never played soft lock anyway.

The Fish

Arcane
Player Unknown's Battlegrounds. Probably not what you were looking for but even a very streamlined milsim is better than a cashul console crossover.

Ebonsword

Arcane
L4D2 is what I've been spending most of my multiplayer time on in the last few years. I'm bad at versus, though, so I stick to coop.

I know this will probably just get me mocked, but have you tried Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City?

I actually like it better than Left 4 Dead as far as third-person squad-based zombie shooters go. The gameplay isn't as slick, but the fact that you have six different characters who all have multiple unique powers to unlock as well as dozens of unlockable weapons give it a lot more replay value for me than L4D.

latest

Once you stop sucking at versus, Campaign mode becomes boring shit. Though before you stop sucking at it you have to go through a period where you are kicked a lot. It is a game without matchmaking after all, so it's done manually by players. :lol: Free market!
I'd say it's worth it though, after several years of playing it I still haven't found a single game that does what L4D2 versus does remotely as well.

I actually like it better than Left 4 Dead as far as third-person squad-based zombie shooters go. The gameplay isn't as slick, but the fact that you have six different characters who all have multiple unique powers to unlock as well as dozens of unlockable weapons give it a lot more replay value for me than L4D.

Fuck powers and unlockables. I've played L4D2 for many more hours than any other MP game, and it has zero unlockables.

Ezekiel

Arcane
:| The pickings are about as slim as I expected. Tried Tomb Raider's multiplayer today, which was ass. Third person views allow so much interesting movement, and yet these devs keep it so bogged down and basic. Max Payne should have spawned a genre.

I know this will probably just get me mocked, but have you tried Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City?

latest
I haven't, because it was so badly received. Plus, I haven't found any of the Resident Evils since 4 good. I suppose I could give it a try on the next sale and refund it if I don't like it.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane

latest
I haven't, because it was so badly received. Plus, I haven't found any of the Resident Evils since 4 good. I suppose I could give it a try on the next sale and refund it if I don't like it.

Well, I have to admit that some of the criticisms (braindead companion AI, bullet-sponge enemies, half the game is only available as DLC, etc.) are valid. However, it's one of those games I like just because there's nothing else that does quite what it does.

If you're a fan of the earlier Resident Evils, that may contribute to your enjoyment. Running around the gloriously realized streets of Raccoon City and shooting every zombie you can find is kind of cathartic after having to run away from enemies in the earlier games due to lack of ammo.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
Mass Effect 3 was otherwise crap, but MP was very fun. You might want to check some forums if it still has active players, game itself should be dirt cheap by now.

There is that Origin factor though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Mass Effect 3 was otherwise crap, but MP was very fun. You might want to check some forums if it still has active players, game itself should be dirt cheap by now.

There is that Origin factor though.
I've tried a few times to get into Mass Effect, but could never enjoy it enough. In ME1, I got bored in the Citadel, so at the beginning. ME2 got about five hours from me before I deleted it. The worlds and gameplay mechanics just aren't that interesting to me. I preferred KOTOR, even with its simplistic combat. Edit: Just watched a bit of multiplayer. The combat does look like an improvement from 2 at least.

Last edited:

Trotsky

Arcane
You should really give Mass Effect another try. The first two games were fantastic and the third had great MP.

If you like KoToR may I suggest Star Wars Battlefront. It came out shortly afterward and was a big sleeper hit.

A couple years ago EA revived the series. In 2015 the new Battlefront was released. A sequel is coming soon.

A strength & flaw of the new series is that it follows the movies so Hoth is easy for imperials & Endor is hard.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane

Does this happen a lot in Battlefront? Your blaster fire not hitting what you see in the reticle? Maybe they could have remedied this by making the default camera not so zoomed in and on the far side of your character all the time. When he presses the aim button to zoom in third person view in the video there, I get bad Evil Within recollections. Looks like they improved the camera in the sequel.

I got the impression two years ago that the new Battlefront is a lot like the new Battlefields, which I'm not a fan of. I watched my brother play the beta for a few minutes and didn't even feel like copying the installation to my computer. I don't know if it's because I've changed my mind or because the sequel is improved, but that twenty minute video you posted does look kind of interesting. Some games are more fun to look at than play, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom