Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
I see the druid shapeshifting is still fucking garbage and you can't stay shapeshifted. Disappointing.

PS: Wait there's spell schools now for Wizards? I'm positively surprised.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Shifter looks like it can stay shifted almost indefinitely, depending on how long the fight is. I'll be more disappointed if the shifts are just damage boosts, i.e. "popping a cooldown" in MMOs, like in 1. Being a Shifter is much more interesting in NWN.

Quillon

Arcane
Active Skills

Alchemy
Arcana
Athletics
Herbalism
Mechanics
Slight of Hand
Stealth

Passive Skills

Acrobatics
Bluff
Diplomacy
History
Insight
Intimidate
Metaphysics
Religion
Streetwise
Survival

citation:
https://youtu.be/dk0wIKSWIWY?t=108

bIpWYIN.jpg

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Good that they made barb + priest = shaman, it was barb + wiz = shaman before, not that I was interested in either but it was bugging me :P

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is it just me, or are the paladin orders really underwhelming? Especially St. Elcga, but I guess it depends on how often your peeps get knocked out. Goldpact seems really bad as well, you can't have auras, but gain a shitty DR buff, lol?

axedice

Cipher
3rd. ed. multiclassing was better imo, offers more varied build choices. 2nd ed. is a bit streamlined. But yeah Josh was gonna josh so whatever

:dealwithit:

I especially liked the talent / ability selection screen. Great QoL improvement, we won't need to scrounge wiki sites to plan character builds

IK5h5Zs.jpg

The skill variation also seems nice. Though why the need to seperate alchemy and herbalism? Even AoD didn't go that route.

w20Mr4y.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Is it just me, or are the paladin orders really underwhelming? Especially St. Elcga, but I guess it depends on how often your peeps get knocked out. Goldpact seems really bad as well, you can't have auras, but gain a shitty DR buff, lol?

Can't really tell just from those descriptions. Depends on the numbers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, who are these "people" who had trouble understanding the power source/level dynamic? It was essentially class level vs character level, but a little bit different. It does seem like they changed it just to appeal to noobs and newbies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm the one who told him the Power Source system was elaborate, I guess he was eventually convinced :cool:

• People had a difficult time understanding the relationship between individual levels and power source progression.
  • Selecting powers worked pretty well if you knew exactly what you were doing, but you could easily wind up with casts per encounter from levels of spells you had no spells for (e.g. 2 third level casts but no third level spells).

I wonder if he really didn't see this coming.

Prime Junta

Yeah, who are these "people" who had trouble understanding the power source/level dynamic? It was essentially class level vs character level, but a little bit different. It does seem like they changed it just to appeal to noobs and newbies.

Yeah, maybe. Although it does cause actual complications too, for example a fighter(9)/priest(1) will get access to a different set of talents depending on when he duals, which makes things complicated.

Although they could always have worked around it, e.g. by allowing them a pick from the secondary class whenever its power level hits a new number divisible by 3 (equivalent to a class level). Perhaps that would've made dipping into a class too powerful compared to even splits though. If :balance: keeps you awake at nights, you will find things like that bothersome.

But whatevs, AD&D style works too, it's not like there's a shortage of build options the way it's set up now.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

We had any number of posts in this very thread trying to figure out wtf it meant and how it worked. I can see an average player (and POE was definitely designed for average players, even if they sometimes missed the mark) being confused.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Eh, while I wasn't expecting this drastic a change, I don't mind it. It's more passive than the other way, but I guess it prevents weird things due to the power source progression. It would've been interesting to have access to different talents depending on when you dual, but eehh. Multiclassing is still incline and something we haven't seen in a (non-D&D) RPG since forever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Attributes of a multiclassing system:
  • Allows the player to choose which class to level up in on every level-up
  • Balanced
  • Easy to understand
Pick two.

Empower seems like a pointless gimmick now.

Why is it any more of a gimmick than before? The Power Source system is actually still there, it's just not subject to the endless permutations of the previous multiclassing system.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just watched the video. They've definitely gotten better at making them entertaining.

The visuals look superb too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Empower just makes one of the abilities you choose more powerful. Yeah, it's kind of a gimmick and I predict some empowers being immeasurably more overpowered than others.

Sentinel

Arcane
First two.

Even if I don't understand a system I'll eventually learn it by just fucking around. With the exception of the description of Might in PoE, never really understood if by "healing" it meant "Healing received" or "Healing done". Usually I'd assume it's the latter but there's so much weird shit in PoE that I get confused.

:retarded:

Tenebris

Scholar
Love the subclasses. I do wish the Paladin orders had a little more uniqueness to them though. Though I probably feel this way because I've played Paladin many many times.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Empower seems like a pointless gimmick now.

Why is it any more of a gimmick than before? The Power Source system is actually still there, it's just not subject to the endless permutations of the previous multiclassing system.

That's the point, it was in a center of this entire multiclassing concept, now it's just pointless feature bloat.

Honestly, I'd have much preferred Prestige classes that are well tuned, fleshed out and developed, over this monstrosity. They have couple hundred builds to balance and test, and I fucking guarantee you that once they get closer to launch and try to work it all out, they will just end up reducing the effects until multiclassing and subclasses becomes almost a cosmetic choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom