Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

NullFlow

Savant
Not to give CDPR some free pass on poor working conditions, but it's a well known fact of life the gaming industry is rife with overworking, crunch time and high turnover rates. You really have to be realistic about developers, no matter how positively they've cultivated their image. Oh, and it's YongYea anyways who should have quit making videos after MGSV, so he's just riding pure speculation of C2077 and the outrage machine.

Keppo

Arbiter
we can predict some things from new job how the combat will be working:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/combat-designer/
  • Work with Quest Designers, Open World Designers, Level Designers and Environment Artists to design memorable combat encounters based on predefined narrative, environmental and gameplay themes.
  • Take encounter “shells” delivered by other teams and using our proprietary visual scripting language; script combat AI and flow, memorable moments/set pieces and companion AI.
  • Working with Level Designers and Environmental Artists, ensure level geometry serves the needs of the combat encounter.
  • Work with AI Designers and AI Programmers to ensure you have the necessary control over AI to script both stealth and action based encounters.
  • Dedicate yourself to understanding all player verbs, allowing yourself to craft divergent experiences that cater to all available playstyles.
  • Help define combat scripting standards and ensure consistency in implementation across the project.
  • Working with Gameplay Designers, proactively suggest improvements to core combat systems and principles.
---------------------------

About working conditions i dont think it's worse at CDPR than in average gaming company. There are many developers that left them, and came back after some time. No person would have done this if he had bad memories from working there, the latest example is their Level Designer https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-gelencser-a0ba1211/

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Work with Quest Designers, Open World Designers, Level Designers and Environment Artists to design memorable combat encounters based on predefined narrative, environmental and gameplay themes.
  • Take encounter “shells” delivered by other teams and using our proprietary visual scripting language; script combat AI and flow, memorable moments/set pieces and companion AI.
  • Working with Level Designers and Environmental Artists, ensure level geometry serves the needs of the combat encounter.
  • Work with AI Designers and AI Programmers to ensure you have the necessary control over AI to script both stealth and action based encounters.
  • Dedicate yourself to understanding all player verbs, allowing yourself to craft divergent experiences that cater to all available playstyles.
  • Help define combat scripting standards and ensure consistency in implementation across the project.
  • Working with Gameplay Designers, proactively suggest improvements to core combat systems and principles.

About working conditions i dont think it's worse at CDPR than in average gaming company. There are many developers that left them, and came back after some time. No person would have done this if he had bad memories from working there, the latest example is their Level Designer https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-gelencser-a0ba1211/

It'll be a 3D game with quests, combat encounters and NPCs controlled by AI. Potentially designed using programming languages, might even be made using Visual C++

RepHope

Savant

So it's going to have companions? Interesting. Doesn't look like "Witcher with guns".

RepHope

Savant
GOG has a job for cyberpunk 2077 :

https://af.gog.com/work/galaxy-cyberpunk-2077-web-developer-java?as=1649904300

Most of the backend stuff listed in the job description ("analytics, cloud storage and computing, rankings and many more") are things done at the end of a project usually. That could mean some good news for next year.
From what I recall wasn't 2019 the most popular guess for release? I remember something about money from the Polish government given to them with the condition they'd need to have something by 2019. Plus their 4 year plan mentioning that they wanted to have another non-Cyberpunk RPG out by 2021 at the latest.

Last edited by a moderator:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Release "guesses" are useless anyway. When there's something to actually speculate about, it's different.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
DMQXPlSX4AAx0iP.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/919885993171398656

Black Angel

Arcane
"So, does a departure, even a high profile one, mean that the project is in danger?"
Yeah, if the high profile one was the Project Lead, well....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-approach-to-making-games-is-not-for-everyone

CD Projekt Red: "This approach to making games is not for everyone"

Some recent team-leader level departures from Cyberpunk 2077 led to speculation there was trouble in paradise - and paradise began sounding worse and worse the more CD Projekt Red company reviews on employee feedback site Glassdoor I read.

Evidently the groundswell of negativity and whispering rose to such a level CD Projekt Red felt inclined to wade in. Co-founder Marcin Iwinski, and studio manager Adam Badowski, today issued a statement "regarding morale here at the studio".

"We'd normally avoid commenting on company reviews on spaces like Glassdoor, but this time around - especially in light of the fact we haven't communicated anything about Cyberpunk 2077 for a long time and saw some gamers getting worried about the project - we'd like to elaborate on a few things."

It boils down to CD Projekt Red being a lot larger than it used to be - twice the 200-person size of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt development - and having an uncompromising stance about what it wants to make.

"Every role-playing game we ever developed seemed impossible to achieve at the moment we set out to create it ... [but] even if something feels impossible, it doesn't mean it is. As it turns out, most often things are perfectly possible, they just require a lot of faith, commitment and spirit," the statement said.

"This approach to making games is not for everyone. It often requires a conscious effort to 'reinvent the wheel' - even if you personally think it already works like a charm. But you know what? We believe reinventing that wheel every friggin' time is what makes a better game. It's what creates innovation and makes it possible for us to say we've worked really hard on something, and we think it's worth your hard-earned-cash. If you make games with a 'close enough is good enough' attitude, you end up in a comfort zone. And you know where the magic happens.

"Cyberpunk 2077 is progressing as planned but we are taking our time - in this case the silence is the cost of making a great game."

Which all sounds rousingly heroic and exactly what I want from a company making a game I really want to play - no compromise! But it comes at a human cost. We shouldn't forget that.

I spoke anonymously to people who had worked at CD Projekt Red in the past and they pointed to negative Glassdoor reviews as being accurate of the situation there. In essence people were feeling overworked, underpaid and as though there was little organisation or they weren't being heard. (Of course extreme Glassdoor reviews on one side of the scale or the other - either very positive or very negative - should be taken with a hefty pinch of salt. CD Projekt Red's overall rating is 3.1 out of five stars.)

But these were often people who had been there less than a year and had come from other big studios organised in other ways, maybe better ways. How do you convince all of these new people that your bruteforce (perhaps) way of facing the tidal wave of work ahead is the best way? The diehard veterans will be with you until the end, but the less devoted newcomer? There's bound to be friction.

But such is CD Projekt Red's new burden. Life in the limelight will be tough.

Cyberpunk 2077 will not be released before 2018, CD Projekt Red has previously said. If I were a gambling man - and I once backed seven horses in a row who all came last, so I'm not - I'd expect a release sometime in 2019. Excruciatingly far away isn't it? Felt all the keener after I caught up with Cyberpunk pen-and-paper creator - and Cyberpunk 2077 advisor - Mike Pondsmith recently.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
I think they are just evolving from an indie studio with less structure and procedures (and lots of crunch time) to a full-fledged development studio, and it's taking a bit of tall on some of the people inside.

Gerrard

Arcane
We believe reinventing that wheel every friggin' time is what makes a better game.

Oh yeah, having to patch in indication of what books you've read already EVERY. FUCKING. GAME. sure helped them make a better one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom