Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It breaks balance at around 9th level and the higher you go the easier it gets, yeah. PoE2's PotD might be balanced with the assumption you will be munchkining, who knows, at least I hope so. What's the point of 5 difficulties if one of them isn't a masochist's dream?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's pointless to create your own party in PoE because the difficulty doesn't support it. There would have to be a setting harder than PotD to justify munchkining your companions, currently it just breaks all semblance of balance.

To be fair, this is also the case for all of the IE games. Even the IWDs which assume you're building your own party. Make a really properly optimised one and it is a bit of a snooze.

It's not pointless in PoE because I usually make my builds even more gimped than the companions by making weird off-kilter stuff. Having the freedom to build doesn't mean you min-max, and if you do... why the hell not?

And you're entirely incorrect about the IE-games Prime Junta, because: SCS.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's pointless to create your own party in PoE because the difficulty doesn't support it. There would have to be a setting harder than PotD to justify munchkining your companions, currently it just breaks all semblance of balance.

To be fair, this is also the case for all of the IE games. Even the IWDs which assume you're building your own party. Make a really properly optimised one and it is a bit of a snooze.

It's not pointless in PoE because I usually make my builds even more gimped than the companions by making weird off-kilter stuff. Having the freedom to build doesn't mean you min-max, and if you do... why the hell not?

Only thing PoE companion respec doesn't have is priest/pala orders. Races/Attributes are immaterial if you're making gimped stuff since they only change numbers, not flavour.

I don't see how SCS changes anything, even with the more autistic Weimer's Tactics I used stock NPCs. Munchkining just your PC is more than enough. Can't imagine what a breeze the game would be with shit like 6 sorcerers or kensai/x dual.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Only thing PoE companion respec doesn't have is priest/pala orders.

At least read the discussion if you're going to partake in it

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's no SCS for Icewind Dale, unfortunately. I've always wondered why nobody hired the modder who created SCS, I think he did a great job with the AI and utilizing the combat system. I'd love to see an SCS mod for PoE.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's a bit of a dead-end of a discussion honestly. We're basically all arguing to have a game tuned towards our personal gameplay preferences, so it's not even a debate, it's a collection of extremely biased opinions.

My usual playstyle is as follows:

First playthrough on Normal or Hard, so I can figure out the systems in a relaxed way and enjoy a bit of storyfagottry. I also absolutely refuse to read or use any outside resources, build and itemization advice, walkthroughs, let's play, whatever. I play it oldschool like it's 1985, no internet unless I'm really totally stuck.

If I like the game enough I do another playthrough, but this time on max difficulty, everything min-maxed to the bone and use every resource available to pimp up the party and make it steamroll the content in most efficient way possible. In PoE this also means using custom companions.

So for my playstyle unlocking companion customization only on subsequent playthroughs is a nice compromise, but for somebody else it might just not work.

Ulfhednar

Savant
It's a bit of a dead-end of a discussion honestly. We're basically all arguing to have a game tuned towards our personal gameplay preferences, so it's not even a debate, it's a collection of extremely biased opinions.

My usual playstyle is as follows:

First playthrough on Normal or Hard, so I can figure out the systems in a relaxed way and enjoy a bit of storyfagottry. I also absolutely refuse to read or use any outside resources, build and itemization advice, walkthroughs, let's play, whatever. I play it oldschool like it's 1985, no internet unless I'm really totally stuck.

If I like the game enough I do another playthrough, but this time on max difficulty, everything min-maxed to the bone and use every resource available to pimp up the party and make it steamroll the content in most efficient way possible. In PoE this also means using custom companions.

So for my playstyle unlocking companion customization only on subsequent playthroughs is a nice compromise, but for somebody else it might just not work.
This is pretty much exactly how I played PoE.

Krzysiek

Learned
There's no SCS for Icewind Dale, unfortunately. I've always wondered why nobody hired the modder who created SCS, I think he did a great job with the AI and utilizing the combat system. I'd love to see an SCS mod for PoE.
IIRC DavidW had higher aspirations than to be part of the game industry.
Btw, SCS is what make BGII true timeless game for me.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, because on a first playthrough you are going to know which stat/feat/talent is useful and which isn't.

lolwut. Just because you haven't learnt the system inside and out doesn't mean you don't want full control over the stat sheet. I love spending 5h staring at my statsheets and googling the damage formulas before I even play the tutorial, then rerolling my entire party after the tutorial or replaying the tutorial, and I'm definitely not a Path of the Damned player because I rarely ever have multiple playthroughs of a single RPG to learn the mechanics inside and out. Sure 90% of players might not be like me, but I'd love to have full control over Eder's stat sheet on my first play through and have full control of the stat sheet of 5 voiced party members, not just the Watcher. And there should be an option in the menu to cater to that.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Barbarian/ Chanter = Howler
Barbarian/ Cipher = Witch
Barbarian/ Druid = Tempest
Barbarian/ Fighter = Brute
Barbarian/ Monk = Ravager
Barbarian/ Paladin = Fanatic
Barbarian/ Priest = Shaman
Barbarian/ Ranger = Savage
Barbarian/ Rogue = Marauder
Barbarian/ Wizard = Warlock
Rogue/ Druid = Pathfinder
Rogue/ Ranger = Scout

A LOT more to come

Pathfinder = rogue/druid. So, that row is rogue

Hyperion

Arcane
Wildrhymer is by far the worst of the bunch. Minstrel, Troubadour, Jongleur actually make sense. I highly doubt all 3 were used. Seer is awkward as fuck, Sawyer should have used a thesaurus because Haruspex fits the outdoor / 'nature' phenomenon of Ranger better. I suppose it's possible he's looking to avoid using words whose origins are specific to real world cultures, but Wildrhymer is bad enough that I wouldn't choose that multiclass based entirely on how shitty the name is.

Prime Junta

They probably came up with these names in order to ensure that the rage is focused on something inconsequential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom