Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a huge success, has already sold nearly 500,000 copies

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As expected, this fucking game full voice acting and dumb gog need for all languages in the same exec turned what would be at most a 5 gb game into a 20 gb game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sales are a lot better than expected, but nothing like Skyrim's, so I won't be eating shit.

I'm glad for Larian, they deserve success.

I've got a mixed opinion of the game, but overall it's fun.
The narrator is garbage (has to be muted), fights are too long, writing is inconsistent, and the RNG loot is bullcrap.
Those are the big and noticeable negatives. Most everything else is decent, good, or great.
What didn't like about the narrator?I did like his voice and found it nice way to describe situations and people.Some times like in numenera explanation is really boring and makes you zone out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sales are a lot better than expected, but nothing like Skyrim's, so I won't be eating shit.

I'm glad for Larian, they deserve success.

I've got a mixed opinion of the game, but overall it's fun.
The narrator is garbage (has to be muted), fights are too long, writing is inconsistent, and the RNG loot is bullcrap.
Those are the big and noticeable negatives. Most everything else is decent, good, or great.
What didn't like about the narrator?I did like his voice and found it nice way to describe situations and people.Some times like in numenera explanation is really boring and makes you zone out.
I don't like the voice acting and I think it ruins the flow of dialogue by cutting away from the characters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As expected, this fucking game full voice acting and dumb gog need for all languages in the same exec turned what would be at most a 5 gb game into a 20 gb game.

It's the same deal with Steam. That's all graphics.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think narrator voice should come from mature man of 50 years at least, and better even older, something like wise old man archetype.

Sentinel

Arcane
Or a lady like the DivOS EE. I thought she was a pretty good narrator. DivOS2 narrator sounds like a teenage fag.

SniperHF

Arcane
Divinity 2's narrator was a good voice actor.

Weirdly a few Divinity 2 items are back in D:OS 2 with the narrator, reward choice, and the limb eating stuff is kind of a lesser mind-reading mechanic.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Fargo must feel like John the Baptist to Sven's Jesus.

Yet InXile's president, Matt Findley, was the one who came up with that "turn-based combat was a technological limitation" bullshit:

Well, you know, we analyzed the long history of video games. I think these games always wanted to be action games at their heart. I think all those old turn-based games, it's just that's all the technology would allow.

He is still InXile's president. Never forget.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway, a streamlined game with great graphics, full voice acting, a relatively decent amount of polish (Bethesda/Bioware-level, not Troika/old-Obsidian-level), and multiplayer sells a lot of copies you say? :hmmm:

I imagine Daedalic is cursing themselves, realizing perhaps Blackguards 2 could have been, well not a failure, if only they had multiplayer.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think co-op and multiplayer is a point of accessibility for DOS2.
I mean, it allow to attract a lot of people, new to the RPG or at least to TB genre, but only if the game itself is good, and DOS2 is good - there are lot of things to do and see, and consequences of your actions aren't immediate, so you can replay a lot, which possible only if game is good, and DOS2 is good game, etc.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
South Park
Is a better RPG than PoE.
without dumbing it down and/or compromising it by mixing with other genres.
:hahano:

So far I found ZERO improvements over D:OS and a lot of :decline:. The cringe worthy writing is still every bit as cringy, the cancerous MMO-like itemization is still there, the autistic junk collection system is worse than ever and OFC the fucking shields. I don't know who suggested removing the old saving throws and replacing them with the current system, but here is what I suggest should be done with them:

I've been playing this game in very short bursts simply because of how utterly "meh" it is. "oops, got killed. Time to level scale my items and use the exact same strategy". "Great, shields are down, time to spam the CC" or, better yet "fuck, OUR shields are down. Time to get stunlocked and killed. Might as well reload instead of wasting more time" and the good old "oops, stumbled in a fight with an enemy 2+ levels ahead of me. Can't possibly win because stupid scaling. Such strategy, much wow."

So the recipe for "saving" the cRPG genre is: muh multiplayer + muh cooking simulator + muh junk collection simulator + muh level scaled loot + [insert other decline I forgot about here]. Just let the genre die an honorable death already. This is getting pathetic.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man some of you people really can't into fun

* fantadomat complains about D:OS 2 and yet he likes the Narrator voice which probably the most universal complain about the game :lol:

Ruzen

Savant
Different game modes aside campaign are definitely looking appealing to the casual audience even though they never going to finish the game yet alone even peek what is arena or game master modes, but they sure get this feeling of getting more value what they'll be paying and they sure do. Pillars 2 needs to come up with something big too.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Man some of you people really can't into fun

* fantadomat complains about D:OS 2 and yet he likes the Narrator voice which probably the most universal complain about the game :lol:
Yeah it is strange mate,i even like the game more or less.I do get it why people don't like it thou.I will even clean my video card so i could play D:OS 2.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Game is excellent so far (I'm still messing around Fort Joy).:incline: I'm really happy for Larian. My only complaint is the narrator and you don't even need a mod to fix that.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
This is a great thing for turn-based game lovers everywhere. Next time a dev team is pitching the idea of their turn based rpg, they can point to D:OS2 as a commercial success

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a great thing for turn-based game lovers everywhere. Next time a dev team is pitching the idea of their turn based rpg, they can point to D:OS2 as a commercial success
Although it would be interesting to see how much of this success can be attributed to the game being TB and how much to it being coop.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think the game is modable enough that the combat can be salvaged with mods.
The one thing I'd like is hand placed loot. The RNG loot is annoying and the rate the numbers scale at the moment is pretty ridiculous. At least it makes bartering a skill that is somewhat worthwhile, but this is probably the worst way to execute it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
South Park
Is a better RPG than PoE.
without dumbing it down and/or compromising it by mixing with other genres.
:hahano:

So far I found ZERO improvements over D:OS and a lot of :decline:. The cringe worthy writing is still every bit as cringy, the cancerous MMO-like itemization is still there, the autistic junk collection system is worse than ever and OFC the fucking shields. I don't know who suggested removing the old saving throws and replacing them with the current system, but here is what I suggest should be done with them:

I've been playing this game in very short bursts simply because of how utterly "meh" it is. "oops, got killed. Time to level scale my items and use the exact same strategy". "Great, shields are down, time to spam the CC" or, better yet "fuck, OUR shields are down. Time to get stunlocked and killed. Might as well reload instead of wasting more time" and the good old "oops, stumbled in a fight with an enemy 2+ levels ahead of me. Can't possibly win because stupid scaling. Such strategy, much wow."

So the recipe for "saving" the cRPG genre is: muh multiplayer + muh cooking simulator + muh junk collection simulator + muh level scaled loot + [insert other decline I forgot about here]. Just let the genre die an honorable death already. This is getting pathetic.

So this tells me combat is worse than BG as I cannot get into tough fights and still win with game knowledge and smart use of classes and magic items.
Or like I did in Underrail as well.

So if I cannot play it for good combat, is story and good?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Current Metascore is 93/100 with 6 reviews, probably gonna be lower when more reviews come in, but I expect it to stay around 90. Game isn's without faults but IMO it still deserves such high score ;)
KKpPanW.png

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
ArchAngel if you find a CRPG of the last decade with better combat than D:OS or D:OS 2, please tell me, I want to play that shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom