Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oooh, I missed this announcement. Cool beans.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/relax-final-fantasy-15-wont-be-170gb-on-pc/

Final Fantasy 15 Won't Be 170GB On PC

[...]

"That was a mistake, actually," Tabata said through a translator. "That was a communications mistake - something got put in a memo that really shouldn't have. What that is [the specifications that went out to press] based on the specs that we're running the demo on today."

"Again, the final specs for the release version haven't been fixed yet. There's a very good chance they can change. Someone put that in there and it got reported as the recommended specs, but that's not the final fixed version. The fact that it became that number is a communication [error]."

Tabata went on to say that the demo machines were running at 4K using GTX 1080 Ti cards, but the minimum specs would go down "at least as far as the same level as the console edition, maybe looking to going even further than that in future". "But we've not fixed the frame rate at 30 frames at all - it's just on the 1080 Ti, that's the maximum that one can do [at 4K], so that's what it's doing at the moment."

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
"But we've not fixed the frame rate at 30 frames at all - it's just on the 1080 Ti, that's the maximum that one can do [at 4K], so that's what it's doing at the moment."
That's even worse. Top card at 3820x2160 is doing only 30 FPS.
I wonder how fast would be GXT 660 at 1920x1080.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think he's saying that they didn't capped the game at 30fps (so you can play at 60fps with a lower end hardware if you opt to lower graphics setting) and the demo they're showing is the maximum quality.

Also this PC 4K gameplay video clearly showing that it's running at much more than 30fps:

Drakron

Arcane
"That was a mistake, actually,"

Moar like everyone was "WHAT?" and started laughing then someone upstairs made a call saying if you niggers were for real with those specs and if they were, they would to be part of Japan unemployment statistics.
I mean serious, they got so much shit about Human Revolutions and that DID impact sales and they try it again with a game that got lukewarm reception a year ago, I am not exactly refreshing the Steam page to see it appear s I can per-order it ...and those specs were just nuts.

As for being a tech showcase of their own Luminous Engine, FF XIV also uses it and been around for a while now with nobody showing interest because who on their right mind would license a engine made by Square Enix? can you imagine trying to get tech support?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I haven't played the game as is, but in FF13 pre-rendered videos were what took most of the space. Just compare ripped/re-encoded pirate versions of the game with the official one on Steam.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, no one posted this?: https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xv/final-fantasy-15-nude-mods

Final Fantasy 15 PC nude mods are being left "up to the moral sense of all the players"

The director of Final Fantasy XV says that while he does have concerns about what modders will do with FFXV on PC, he’s more worried about making sure players have enough freedom to play the game their way.

Speaking to Hajime Tabata in interview at Gamescom, we're told that he and his team did have concerns over the kind of content that would be modded into the game. “Obviously there's some worry about ‘we've made this great world and people might try to stuff all kind of strange things into it and mess it up’,” he tells us.

The biggest issue they potentially face, of course, is nude modding. “When we were getting together for discussion, all the people together in the project were airing out their worries, [nude mods] were something most people were really worried about,” Tabata says.

In the end, Tabata and his team made the decision to allow players full freedom to use and create mods, saying, “what's stronger in my mind is the fact that I don't want to limit people too much - this is part of the culture of gaming these days. These people - it's a thing they've bought, it's their game now.

"I don't think it's a good thing, but we're going to leave it to the moral sense of all the players out there. I basically want, as a principle, to give as much freedom and as little limitations on it as possible."

I, for one, never ever cared about nude mods and such in my entire gaming life, but it's pleasantly surprising that console-based Japanese developer is pretty open about modding and PC gaming.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Don't even fucking bother. Seriously forget this game even exist.

I just finished it on PS4 and this is probably one of the worst FF games and one of the worst jrpgs i have ever played.

Review:

OK. So my expectations from FF game are not high. I just want good journey with story that doesn't at least undercuts itself with at least few characters that are worth to remember.

I got nothing.

Main concept of the game "road trip" works well. On paper at least. You go around do stuff and work as a close knit group. Problem is that every other element in game undermines this concept which i actually liked. Read below for more details.

If you expected meaty story from FF game which are staple of long 50-100 hours story driven games this is not it. From my 30 hours of playtrough most of my time like 20 hours was spend on doing worthless stuff like hunting some low tier monsters for fucking nothing or trying to find 10000000 fucking food ingredients for all of those side quests.

Story by itself is so fucking retarded that it really needs down syndrome award to write. FF13 in comparison to this is like "War and Peace". First of all. Main baddy of game which is super obvious like in 1/4 of the game that he is the main bad guy follows our guys and help them out increasing their power. You may think he needs our guys to do something for him right ? FUCKING NO. He does that because. No fucking clue.
Game literally creams of developement hell when it comes to story. Most of important things happen totally offscreen for fuck sake. Death of his father ? Offscreen. Death of that other king of imperium LITERALLY he is hanging at end of the game from chain as a corpse. If you wouldn't even watch kingsglave which is D tier movie you wouldn't even know he is in game. Luna main sweethearth of prince literally dies about 2 minutes after they meet and she was like 4 minutes on screen total for all game to that point. Naturally our Noctis prince grieves for her for 1/4 of the game but like you guessed player doesn't give a flying fuck for someone who doesn't have any attachement for. Even fucking death of dog would give more emotions. Deus Ex machina ? This game literally is one big fucking deus ex machina with characters dying and resurecting, Revus ? dude who got like 3 minutes on screen in that time went from brother of luna, to traitor to actually i was good guy all along and then player was supposed to care about fight with his corpse or something. I mean there are literally scenes that don't make any sense. Like when characters gets blessing of gods and other characters talk about imperium killing those gods. Nuh uh i was the one who fucking murdered leviatan, imperium didn't do shit. And that is just tip of the iceberg. I can't count how many weird scenes played out where it was obvious that something was supposed to be after that and whole scene was probbaly cut out for some reason (dev hell).

So due to above you can't absolutely care about what is happening. Like last 2/5 of the story didn't fucking make any sense and i was rolling eyes so hard that i just wanted to get over with this game so i can quit quick and sell this piece of shit.

So if the story is shit at least gameplay should be fun right ? I mean whole fucking open world and shit right ? BZZZZZTTTTT. WRong.
Imagine whole game being just fetchquests and 90% of them is hunting for food ingredients. YES that is how fucking game works. You do either hunts for monsters which are totally shit tier stuff or you do some other sidequest which is 100% of the time fetchquest and 90% of the time it is somethign about food.
Frankly speaking maybe they fucked their budget on those whole food stuff in game and forgot to make rest of the game.

Last 2/5 of main story was the most shit jrpg i have every played. It had like 3-4 hours straight corridors walking and looking for key cards or switched with near infinite amount of elevators. I mean who the fuck would be so evil to put such a fucking crap in game. No one did play that part from dev team ?

Overall i am pretty fucking pissed. Not because it is shit game. But because interesting concept was wasted where at the time you could see that this game could actually be a great fucking game if not for down syndrome Tabata director of this fucking circus who can't fucking create linear plot about buying tomato from store from and not fucking trip on it. I mean story could fucking work with just bit of changes that even amateur could write on napkin in spare time.

flyingjohn

Arcane

I just finished it on PS4 and this is probably one of the worst FF games and one of the worst jrpgs i have ever played.
But does the game fail in the waifu department is the real question?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

So obligatory questions. Which FF have you played? And what did you like on each one?

Perkel

Arcane
About all of them aside from online ones.

9 is best ff. While story might be a bit infantile at times it has the best journey from all ff games.
8 is second best though it hurts a lot from orphanage scene, without that it would be the best imo
Then ff6

I don't like much ff7 because everything after midgard is boring

Ff10 is early access ff13 game with same boring corridors fo a whole game though it had at least consistant story

Ff12 is garbage because it is offline mmo and story pacing characters don't work

Ff1-5 i played much later and i can't say anything about them, meh is the world in my mind

Ff13 takes second from bottom place. Aside from pulse hunts there is nothing good about it.

Worst ff is ff15.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I haven't played many.
But for me: FF VII (what an epic journey... and materia system was pretty awesome) >>>>>> FF VIII (what a mess of a game... and the draw system was pretty bad TBH) > FFIX (infantile game for kids).

I also briefly tried and absolutely hated FF XIII, didn't make it very far into FF X.
Played a little FF IV on my mobile too. Not enough to really form an opinion though. Seemed quite simple.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
FF VII is the best because of the materia combat system, especially combining materia to achieve different attacks, like for example 'all' with 'elements' to hit all enemies with fire or heal all your allies.

2nd reason would be the post apo setting, but that is just flavour, someone could like fantasy more, but the materia is the best combat system Square ever made.

Hyperion

Arcane
Only FF with a post-apocalyptic setting is 6 (3!) in its second half. 7 is more like bio / cyberpunk.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
FF VII is the best because of the materia combat system, especially combining materia to achieve different attacks, like for example 'all' with 'elements' to hit all enemies with fire or heal all your allies.

There are some rather more fun combos, such as W (Double-u) Summon + Knights of the Round (+ Mime); W (Double-u) Magic + Quadra Magic linked with spell of choice; Final Attack + Phoenix Rebirth Flame/Life; Mime in general; Counter/Magic Counter.

Falksi

Arcane
I think it's obvious that FF15 is the product of 10 years worth of development which pandered to each trend and fad going, and which has subsequently seen all the failing elements of the vile 00's gaming generation (open world's, gay boy band types, dull cut & paste nothingness & fetch-qests) combined into one package.

Probably the embodiment of everything wrong with gaming since the EA-suit driven decline really got rolling.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
You almost have to applaud Squeenix for how they jammed more generic boring fetch quests and a shittier combat system in their single player AAAA RPG than in theMMO they made in 18 months by working 20 hour days.

How the same company could make probably the only ever MMO that's as good as WoW in FF14 and this piece of garbage I will never know.

An award winning level of incompetence.

The Decline

Arcane
Can mods fix it?

More specifically can mods switch out the gay boy band characters with Dukes of Hazzardesque good ol' boys?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom