Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a huge success, has already sold nearly 500,000 copies

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I DO have to say, Thanks to Larian, and the good success of this game, Publishers now might see a TURN BASED game as something that can be a Profitable venture.

And this is all due to Swen (and his team) and all the people who kept backing this series.

THIS is actually a moment of pure INCLINE, and a possible hope for the future.

Thank you Swen and your team. I wish you all the best of luck on this game :salute:

Trashos

Arcane
The Codex community has already amassed a good number of complaints about Divinity: Original Sin 2 since its release four days ago

I don't know about that. Technically what you wrote is true. On the other hand, the relative thread in the Larian subforum is like no other I have witnessed on the Codex for a high-profile release (ie, not counting AoD and Underrail) in the couple of years I have been here. Yes, people bitch and complain. Yet, noone is laughing at the game and people seem genuinely engaged. It is really weird.

Flou

Arbiter
Incline! Seriously though that is some great news, not only for Larian but for crpgs in general. Now someone go show Feargus the numbers so he will finally budge and let Obsidian create a turn based game.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The possible lesson here, IMO (and also from Tyranny even though it isn't technically a sequel): Less grimness. Audiences have had enough of GRIM WORLDS WHERE YOU WILL MAKE GRIM CHOICES.

Big, bright, colorful worlds don't even need to tell you you'll get to make choices. They seem to inherently convey escapism, freedom and possibilities. The open-ended sea exploration aspect of PoE2 bodes well in that respect, but you'll have to emphasize it.

No. Both should exist, I don't know why it has to be either-or deal. Some studios can make their happy merry-go-round settings that are less serious and know it while others can have darker ones that try to explore moral themes.

Last edited:
It's amazing how some people can go completely against ab established dogma, like turn based games don't sale, and utterly obliterate it. Hope we will get 1 million sales before the September ends:salute:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Expansion when? Because there will be an expansion (and most likely more than 1). Either way it's great news, finally a turn based RPG is getting proper recognition. And the game is very good, although there are some glitches if you won't go as creators intended it (e.g. I've had some awkward situations with Gratiana).

Neanderthal

Arcane
The possible lesson here, IMO (and also from Tyranny even though it isn't technically a sequel): Less grimness. Audiences have had enough of GRIM WORLDS WHERE YOU WILL MAKE GRIM CHOICES.

Big, bright, colorful worlds don't even need to tell you you'll get to make choices. They seem to inherently convey escapism, freedom and possibilities. The open-ended sea exploration aspect of PoE2 bodes well in that respect, but you'll have to emphasize it.

Svens favourite game rears its head here, in U7 you had a big, bright, lively world full of interesting places, people and things to interact with in a host of ways and so the utterly gruesome aspects such as the first murder or the lichs ceremony in the trial of courage were all the more emphasised.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I honestly think this success has 3 main points:

Divinity Original Sin was perhaps the best received of the Kickstarter games, I myself prefered Wasteland 2 but even for all of it's quirkiness and questionable voiceacting the original DOS was a great success

Unlike games like Grimlock and PoE where nostalgia was the better part of judgement (and those systems were not quite as fun or as engaging as its predecessors) the tactical combat of DOS was damn excellent, deep, tactical and above all else FUN and the sequel seems to have even an even better system

And lastly Sven himself, he is truly the face AND heart of the company.
His energy and passion truly make you feel excited for this game and the fact he has delivered on his promises (yeah forget that day night cycle bs) makes him easy to root for

One extra point is that the graphics look absolutely beautiful too, the last game looked good but this one is truly a modern game with fantastic art direction and it sounds like it runs really well too.
I got it though the Codex pledge but plan to play it after a couple of patched anyway

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expansion when? Because there will be an expansion (and most likely more than 1).

That's not certain - the first game didn't get one, after all. I can think of reasons why an expansion would be more likely this time, but you can't be sure.

Quantomas

Savant
Sven Vincke (from the game's manual) said:
It’s now traditional that I write a foreword for our games
and tell you a bit about the hopes and aspirations we had
when we set out creating them. In Divinity: Original Sin 2,
our ambition was to evolve – to take everything that made
Divinity: Original Sin 1 such a fun game and replace the bad bits
with better bits. That’s a normal aspiration for a sequel, but when
I compare the game we planned with the game we made, the gap
is huge. We’ve done so much more with D:OS2 than we originally
intended. The reason for that is simple: over 100,000 Kickstarter
backers and Early Access players gave us the confidence to
abandon all prudence, to race forward without looking, and to
embrace all kinds of new ideas, trusting that we’d figure out a
way to make it all work. And by the Seven, we did.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
That's not certain - the first game didn't get one, after all. I can think of reasons why an expansion would be more likely this time, but you can't be sure.
It seems pretty certain to me. First game didn't get one because the reception while very, very good wasn't nearly as good as this one and they were going the CD Projekt Red approach (make the first game as good as possible, then release EE to show how reliable you are and go for the expansion the next game). PoE got expansions, Tyranny as well and I can bet that Larian will too, especially now. Also, they have Gamemaster mode now so they can sell scenarios.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Publishers now might see a TURN BASED game as something that can be a Profitable venture.

XCOM should have showed them that there was money to be made in that domain; many people said it could do with more RPG features

Yet, noone is laughing at the game and people seem genuinely engaged. It is really weird.

That actually might be connected with its mainstream success.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't know about that. Technically what you wrote is true. On the other hand, the relative thread in the Larian subforum is like no other I have witnessed on the Codex for a high-profile release (ie, not counting AoD and Underrail) in the couple of years I have been here. Yes, people bitch and complain. Yet, noone is laughing at the game and people seem genuinely engaged. It is really weird.
I think it is simple two-vector process.
First - game is hard and casuals gonna casual.
Second - game is so fun that in motivates casuals to master it.
Quality of a gamet modifies quality of a player, so to say.
And this could be true achievement of DOS2, because eafter all, any RPG never sell as well as next MOBA, and you hardly can find game that motivates casuals to go above their level, learn them how to lear,how to overcome game difficulties, to be inventive and all that that differ normal RPG player from unwashed masses, that made today from mix of piss and shit.
It is interesting and difficult games which help to form normal RPG player, they doesn't grown by itself on the trees.
And don't get me wrong, I don't like all this multiplayer bullshit, but I think in this case it influenced these new casuals to try the game, because I often see on some imageboard something like "I'm new to the genre, me and my cat decided to try this game please tell us how to pee in the cat tray" etc.

It's amazing how some people can go completely against ab established dogma, like turn based games don't sale, and utterly obliterate it. Hope we will get 1 million sales before the September ends:salute:
Yeah, already thought about it - it could be a big impact for next TB RPG, like Copper Dream. Or maybe not.
But we definitely will see army of clones in next 2-3 year lol, like it was usual, we all know that thinking - Aha, we are doing to make our own Skyrim ---> something goes wrong ---> bunkruptcy...

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That's fantastic news!

Last paragraph is why it's also potentially fantastic news for Obsidian. "How to be a Larian and not an Arkane or Eidos Montreal" is a question that will undoubtedly echo through your halls

I think it shows the value in iteration.
I think it shows the value in a unified vision.

Those things right there can be held to no matter your budget or operating costs.

I also think it shows the value in TB mechanics - and that there is a market for them, but not every game can or should be TB.

I also believe that every RPG game success, no matter how "hardcore" or "casual", broadens the market, which is a good thing.

In picture: a man who has his soul sucked out, legs amputated and skin nailed to a mechanical chassis.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Congrats to Larian for this huge success!
I'm really hoping that it will lead to new IPs, with awesome turn based combat!

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am glad to see Larian successful, they are the best company in business alongside CDP and Obsidian, for me at least.
That said I do hope they will make some new IP and in Dragon Knight Saga style one day, because I am getting a bit tired of divinities. 20 years spent in the same universe, again and again.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
That said I do hope they will make some new IP and in Dragon Knight Saga style one day, because I am getting a bit tired of divinities.
The recent poll was done for a reason. I would like to see a sci-fi for a change instead of DK or DC though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: this and similar posts

In picture: a man who has his soul sucked out, legs amputated and skin nailed to a mechanical chassis.

I think the most successful games will do both. Colorful escapist fantasy worlds AND grimness. Witcher 3, need I say more?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom